The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Just now, NucksPatsFan said:

At the end of the day, we're defending large businesses who don't give a rats ass about us:lol:

Actually the Pegulas love Buffalo and Kraft loves Boston.  Most people don't realize that Kraft saved the Patriots in Boston.  They were once a pitiful franchise that struggled to get people to watch them both in person and at their stadium and on TV.

The Pegulas could move the Bills to San Antonio tomorrow and double or triple the worth of the team if they chose to.  Buffalo is the second smallest NFL market.  They don't because Terry Pegula once lived in Buffalo and was a Bills/Sabres fan.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Actually the Pegulas love Buffalo and Kraft loves Boston.  Most people don't realize that Kraft saved the Patriots in Boston.  They were once a pitiful franchise that struggled to get people to watch them both in person and at their stadium and on TV.

The Pegulas could move the Bills to San Antonio tomorrow and double or triple the worth of the team if they chose to.  Buffalo is the second smallest NFL market.  They don't because Terry Pegula once lived in Buffalo and was a Bills/Sabres fan.

I think you missed my point. I don't think Pegula or Kraft care that "sabrefan1" and "nuckspatsfan" are defending them on a Vancouver hockey sports forum. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/1/2018 at 2:55 PM, SabreFan1 said:

Yes, but people keep forgetting that I'm a bit of a prick.  I like to pick on people occasionally.  Pats bandwagon fans, 90% of which are incredibly thin skinned, are the easiest to catch after chumming the waters.  Unfortunately the bandwagoners got themselves banned a year or two ago.

Fortunately 50% of long time hardcore fans are just as thin-skinned as the bandwagoners.  The odds beared that out here.  I was able to reel in 1 of the 2 hardcore Pats fans left on CDC.

Picking on the Seahawks is also a lot of fun. 

While there are lots of diehard fans (especially in Seattle), it's curious how many "lifelong Seahawks fans" started appearing here in BC in 2013.  Most of them are extremely thin skinned.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

While there are lots of diehard fans (especially in Seattle), it's curious how many "lifelong Seahawks fans" started appearing here in BC in 2013.  Most of them are extremely thin skinned.

People all over North America have been falling hard and fast off of the Seahawks bandwagon the last couple of years.  Fortunately for the Seahawk owners, their local fans haven't given up yet so they continue to sell-out tickets at home.  Up into the 90's the Seahawks would sometimes play in a half-full stadium.  Not even the locals cared about the team until they started winning.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

People all over North America have been falling hard and fast off of the Seahawks bandwagon the last couple of years.  Fortunately for the Seahawk owners, their local fans haven't given up yet so they continue to sell-out tickets at home.  Up into the 90's the Seahawks would sometimes play in a half-full stadium.  Not even the locals cared about the team until they started winning.

I'm one of those 'life long fans'.  Started watching them when I lived down there 1986-88.  Dave Kreig, Curt Warner, Steve Largent.... and unfortunately I saw Brian Bosworth get run over by Bo Jackson!  Those were the days! Lol. Lots of losing for a lot of years.  I never fully stopped watching but didn't follow as close through the 90's.  Paid closer attention after they went to SB in 2005.  I watched them draft ET and the next year all the others (LOB) were drafted (I think?) except Bobby Wagner/KJ Wright (year later).  Anyway I had a good feeling about Russel but didn't expect all of them to become so good so quickly.  Sooo amazing to watch them win SB!  Unfortunately all anyone talks about now is not giving the rock to Beast Mode.... A mistake for sure but PC is that kinda coach that takes risks from time to time... And that one sucked!  Oh well... I like what they're putting together now.  Got rid of the malcontents and bringing in a bunch of new blood.  Here's to hoping!  Regardless I'll be here ON THE BANDWAGON. Go Hawks!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rodishred said:

I'm one of those 'life long fans'.  Started watching them when I lived down there 1986-88.  Dave Kreig, Curt Warner, Steve Largent.... and unfortunately I saw Brian Bosworth get run over by Bo Jackson!  Those were the days! Lol. Lots of losing for a lot of years.  I never fully stopped watching but didn't follow as close through the 90's.  Paid closer attention after they went to SB in 2005.  I watched them draft ET and the next year all the others (LOB) were drafted (I think?) except Bobby Wagner/KJ Wright (year later).  Anyway I had a good feeling about Russel but didn't expect all of them to become so good so quickly.  Sooo amazing to watch them win SB!  Unfortunately all anyone talks about now is not giving the rock to Beast Mode.... A mistake for sure but PC is that kinda coach that takes risks from time to time... And that one sucked!  Oh well... I like what they're putting together now.  Got rid of the malcontents and bringing in a bunch of new blood.  Here's to hoping!  Regardless I'll be here ON THE BANDWAGON. Go Hawks!

Of course there are real lifelong Seahawks fans out there, but as evidenced lately plenty have hopped off of the bandwagon now that they are no longer perennial contenders.  I don't remember if Seattle ever came close to losing their franchise, but I still do remember the half empty stadiums every Sunday during a good stretch of the 90's.  They didn't start picking up in attendance until sometime in the middle 00's I believe.

I still have very clear memories of Pete Carroll being a terrible coach with the Jets so the call for a pass that lost them the SB wasn't shocking to me.  Now that they have to rebuild the team we'll see if he is the coach that people think he is or if he is just a coach who rode on a very good team's coattails.  I honestly don't know for sure, but I can't shake the memories I have of him when he coached the Jets.

6 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Of course there are real lifelong Seahawks fans out there, but as evidenced lately plenty have hopped off of the bandwagon now that they are no longer perennial contenders.  I don't remember if Seattle ever came close to losing their franchise, but I still do remember the half empty stadiums every Sunday during a good stretch of the 90's.  They didn't start picking up in attendance until sometime in the middle 00's I believe.

I still have very clear memories of Pete Carroll being a terrible coach with the Jets so the call for a pass that lost them the SB wasn't shocking to me.  Now that they have to rebuild the team we'll see if he is the coach that people think he is or if he is just a coach who rode on a very good team's coattails.  I honestly don't know for sure, but I can't shake the memories I have of him when he coached the Jets.

I didn't watch Pete while he was coaching Jets... Probably a good thing... I'll take your word for it.  He and Schneider built that SB winning team together so I'm hoping they can duplicate it (or something close to it) again.  I'll check in with you next season and discuss it with you then.  Cheers!

8 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

I am going to jump into this conversation because I am a lifelong Seahawk fan who has thin skin. I absolutely despise being grouped together with Bandwagon Hawk fans because I have been through the tough times of this franchise. The Aaron Curry, Seneca Wallace, and Jim Mora Days. I don't think you give enough credit to the 12's that live in the lower mainland. There are a lot of them.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/seattle-seahawks-canadian-fans-integral-part-12th-man-090242049.html

I especially dislike it when Niner or Ram fans talk about Seattle having bandwagon fans when they can barely fill half the damn stadium when the team is losing or even good for that matter (Rams fans I am looking at you). Seattle has sold out 130 games in a row.

36 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Seattle almost had the Hawks stolen from them like the Sonics were. Paul Allen stepped in, bought the Hawks and built them a new stadium.

All due Respect but the blurb that you wrote about Pete Carroll is probably the worst attempt of explaining Pete Carroll's coaching career as possible.

He went 6-10 his first season as a HC and was fired by a toxic owner when he was with the Jets. The next 2 seasons the Jets won a combined 4 games. Had a winning record with the Pats and made the playoffs twice in his 3 years as HC. Went to USC and rebuilt the football program into a powerhouse winning 2 Natty's (probably should have had 4 during his tenure, **** you NCAA and the BCS) and had a historic 34 game win streak which is tied for the longest in Modern CFB history. He then came to the Seahawks and built arguably the best defense of all time, won a super bowl and should have had another. I will defend that playcall in the NE-SEA SB till the day I die. It was an ok playcall that wasn't executed properly. 

Pete Caroll doesn't need to prove anything. He is one of the greatest Football coaches of all time and the second best in this generation (behind Bill Belichek). You need to give him the respect that he deserves

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I am going to jump into this conversation because I am a lifelong Seahawk fan who has thin skin. I absolutely despise being grouped together with Bandwagon Hawk fans because I have been through the tough times of this franchise. The Aaron Curry, Seneca Wallace, and Jim Mora Days. I don't think you give enough credit to the 12's that live in the lower mainland. There are a lot of them.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/seattle-seahawks-canadian-fans-integral-part-12th-man-090242049.html

I especially dislike it when Niner or Ram fans talk about Seattle having bandwagon fans when they can barely fill half the damn stadium when the team is losing or even good for that matter (Rams fans I am looking at you). Seattle has sold out 130 games in a row.

Seattle almost had the Hawks stolen from them like the Sonics were. Paul Allen stepped in, bought the Hawks and built them a new stadium.

All due Respect but the blurb that you wrote about Pete Carroll is probably the worst attempt of explaining Pete Carroll's coaching career as possible.

He went 6-10 his first season as a HC and was fired by a toxic owner when he was with the Jets. The next 2 seasons the Jets won a combined 4 games. Had a winning record with the Pats and made the playoffs twice in his 3 years as HC. Went to USC and rebuilt the football program into a powerhouse winning 2 Natty's (probably should have had 4 during his tenure, **** you NCAA and the BCS) and had a historic 34 game win streak which is tied for the longest in Modern CFB history. He then came to the Seahawks and built arguably the best defense of all time, won a super bowl and should have had another. I will defend that playcall in the NE-SEA SB till the day I die. It was an ok playcall that wasn't executed properly. 

Pete Caroll doesn't need to prove anything. He is one of the greatest Football coaches of all time and the second best in this generation (behind Bill Belichek). You need to give him the respect that he deserves

Well thin skinned or not, you're a true fan.  I knew about Pete during his USC days but wasn't paying attention during his stints in NY or NE.  Didn't know about his records while he was at those places.  For me, I enjoy the building process the most... Obviously when its done well.  So right now I'm excited to see them revamp their running game.  In hoping Penny is the real deal.  Carson can take 3rd downs and hopefully Prosise can stay healthy and be the utility back.  Having a fullback scheme implemented should help too.  I can go on and on because of all the new faces.... In relation to impact, hopefully this draft class is a lot like the 2012 one!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rodishred said:

Well thin skinned or not, you're a true fan.  I knew about Pete during his USC days but wasn't paying attention during his stints in NY or NE.  Didn't know about his records while he was at those places.  For me, I enjoy the building process the most... Obviously when its done well.  So right now I'm excited to see them revamp their running game.  In hoping Penny is the real deal.  Carson can take 3rd downs and hopefully Prosise can stay healthy and be the utility back.  Having a fullback scheme implemented should help too.  I can go on and on because of all the new faces.... In relation to impact, hopefully this draft class is a lot like the 2012 one!

I agree with you sentiment on enjoying the building process. It makes winning so much sweeter when you see horrible teams turn into Champions.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rodishred said:

I was/am a long time Seahawks fan as well. Although I've been a Bills fans since they drafted Jim Kelly, Seattle was my "home" team and I cheered for the Zorn to Largent combo for several years, back when they were an upstart team in the AFC.

I don't live and die with them, but against the Broncos and the Patsies in the Superbowl, whom to cheer for was an easy choice for me.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Bo+Jackson+vs+Bosworth&&view=detail&mid=3C492CB88A2B51BCCDEA3C492CB88A2B51BCCDEA&&FORM=VRDGAR

I think there was another collision were Bos got almost bent backwards?

Bo was one of the greatest athletes to play anything.

Yup that was the one!  On the goal line.  It was such an anticipated match up but ended up being the most lopsided one with Boz never recoving from it.  Yes I agree, Bo Jackson was the most pure all around athlete in our time or any?  The guy never even hit the gym!  Like ever!  Hated it... Just a specimen.

6 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I wrote what I remember when I watched him during his AFC East years.  He sucked as the Jets head coach and was mediocre with the Patriots.

So you think a coach with a less than .600 winning percentage in both the regular season and post-season and one Super Bowl win is one of the NFL's best coaches ever?  Good God you have a low bar for greatness!

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Rodishred said:

I didn't watch Pete while he was coaching Jets... Probably a good thing... I'll take your word for it.  He and Schneider built that SB winning team together so I'm hoping they can duplicate it (or something close to it) again.  I'll check in with you next season and discuss it with you then.  Cheers!

It will be interesting to see what Carroll can do now that the Seahawks are trending downwards.  I'm curious to see if his NFL pedigree was a product of his team or vice versa.  I just can't to this day shake my memories of him with the Jets and the Patriots.  It was pretty bad.

To be fair, I'm sure there are people that remember Marv Levy, who ended up in the HoF, from his KC days that wondered the same about him when he was winning with the Bills.  However I was too young to remember his KC days where he was mediocre. 

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I wrote what I remember when I watched him during his AFC East years.  He sucked as the Jets head coach and was mediocre with the Patriots.

So you think a coach with a less than .600 winning percentage in both the regular season and post-season and one Super Bowl win is one of the NFL's best coaches ever?  Good God you have a low bar for greatness!

He is one of the greatest FOOTBALL coaches ever. Only 3 coaches in NFL history have won a SB and a National Title (Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson and Carroll) . Pete is the most impressive of the 3. He completely rebuilt bad USC and Seahawk teams and made them into powerhouses. His coaching style has worked in both the pro game and college game. Nobody in the history of the game has done that to the level that Carroll has.

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

He is one of the greatest FOOTBALL coaches ever. Only 3 coaches in NFL history have won a SB and a National Title (Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson and Carroll) . Pete is the most impressive of the 3. He completely rebuilt bad USC and Seahawk teams and made them into powerhouses. His coaching style has worked in both the pro game and college game. Nobody in the history of the game has done that to the level that Carroll has.

I can't argue his college credentials because you could count the number of USC games that I watched back then on one hand.  As for his NFL credentials, I'll consider him Pro HoF material if he can at least bring another team to the SB.  He doesn't have to win it, just get there with the newer core of players they are now putting together.  He has a franchise QB to work with so he has a decent chance.

Drew BledsoeD. Bledsoe NE 623 373 59.9 4,086 6.6 27 4.3 15 2.4 84t 30 190 83.7
Mark BrunellM. Brunell JAX 557 353 63.4 4,367 7.8 19 3.4 20 3.6 62 50 257 84.0
Jeff BlakeJ. Blake CIN 549 308 56.1 3,624 6.6 24 4.4 14 2.6 61t 44 278 80.3
Vinny TestaverdeV. Testaverde BAL 549 325 59.2 4,177 7.6 33 6.0 19 3.5 86t 34 270 88.7
Brett FavreB. Favre GB 543 325 59.9 3,899 7.2 39 7.2 13 2.4 80t 40 241 95.8

Bad copy attempt but this was 1996 passing stats(the year I got into football).  The first column is pass attempts and I believe at the time this was a record.  That and the jerseys were pretty much the reason I became a pats fan.  Since the Madden video game is what got me into football in the first place I wanted to cheer for a team that hadn't won anything(...yet lol) like the 49ers and Cowboys and passed a lot.  Seahawks weren't even in the top 25 that year (in pass attempts) and iirc had Rick 'The Hotdog Eater' Mirer at QB and some hideous jerseys.

Upon looking the Seahawks did have Mirer at QB who was last in 50th place in QB rating behind the greats of Steve Bono(KC), Trent Dilfer(TB), and Dave Brown(NYG).  Only 3 QB's threw for over 4000yards that year, how times have changed.  I wonder if we'll see a shift back to the running game?  Maybe that's what the Messiah is doing in NE.