113 replies to this topic

#61 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

I want every "bill" to be golden and have the term "Jesus Saves" as a part of its definition .. all with a picture of the Tar Sands development oozing in the background ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#62 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Or why don't we print out bills with just the color and the denomination on it?

No more scenes of hockey, women, or frozen rivers - there; problem solved.

You're right. Each one of those is discriminating.

The hockey one is discriminating against other sports, like soccer, football, rugby, volleyball, curling, poker, fapping, etc.

The woman one is discriminating against transgendered, hermaphroditic, and non-Earth genders.

The frozen rivers bill discriminates against lakes, oceans, gulfs, lagoons, ponds, reservoirs, etc.

Gotta please everyone or no one.

Edited by zaibatsu, 17 August 2012 - 02:26 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#63 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

re: Post #4 of this thread

Not trying to usurp Wetcoaster :lol: but just thought I'd share this tidbit:

http://www.bankofcan...oducing-images/

No need to usurp he abdicated.

It's safe to say as long as your not trying to make money off it or do something nefarious fair use will probably save you.

#64 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

You're right. Each one of those is discriminating.

The hockey one is discriminating against other sports, like soccer, football, rugby, volleyball, curling, poker, fapping, etc.

The woman one is discriminating against transgendered, hermaphroditic, and non-Earth genders.

The frozen rivers bill discriminates against lakes, oceans, gulfs, lagoons, ponds, reservoirs, etc.

Gotta please everyone or no one.

Fapping's now a sport?

#65 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

I want every "bill" to be golden and have the term "Jesus Saves" as a part of its definition .. all with a picture of the Tar Sands development oozing in the background ..

If the feds had a balanced budget and no national debt combined with a conservative fiscal policy that promoted developement you could have a picture of two men making out over the caption "god is dead" for all I care.

I do like your idea (think of all the collectors!) but I swear we already had a bill at one time with some pictures of heavy industry on them.

#66 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Fapping's now a sport?

Well, according to /b/.

If the feds had a balanced budget and no national debt combined with a conservative fiscal policy that promoted developement you could have a picture of two men making out over the caption "god is dead" for all I care.

I do like your idea (think of all the collectors!) but I swear we already had a bill at one time with some pictures of heavy industry on them.

I lol'd at the visualisation..

Edited by zaibatsu, 17 August 2012 - 02:32 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#67 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'm offended because she did not look Asian enough to begin with.

#68 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,817 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

what the hell is an asian anyway? Indian, Chinese, Iraqis, Siberians are all Asian.

oriental? far easterner? that's closer

stupid thing to start, more stupid is the debate.
Posted Image

#69 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

I believe your initial comment was in response to a post that pointed to the 'triviality' of the matter.

My response to you was in accordance to your response, in that it's worth discussing as we as members of this society work to refine our society and the way we look at ourselves and the way we are reflected back to ourselves.

We do have bigger issues in this country to address and resolve, but that doesn't mean we're incapable of walking and chewing gum either.

My initial post stood alone to point out the stupidity and triviality of the matter. Because the issue is stupid and trivial.
I already feel like I've spent too much time addressing the topic.
Posted Image

#70 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,817 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

I say we scrap the whole insulin and scientist on the bill, and just replace it with a Canucks logo.

Then on the front we replace that face with the face of Trevor Linden.

That would instantly become the best $100 bill in the history of mankind.

i like this the most. heck, the hockey johnny canuck should be on it.

as for celebrating insulin, should just have the nobel laureates on it, banting and best
Posted Image

#71 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

...and instead of the Parliament buildings, they should have a Tim Horton's....or would that offend all the cops?

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 17 August 2012 - 03:30 PM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#72 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

My initial post stood alone to point out the stupidity and triviality of the matter. Because the issue is stupid and trivial.
I already feel like I've spent too much time addressing the topic.

If your post stood out alone, then why did you attach it in response to another message that was mentioning the triviality of it as well?

Did you ever consider that matters trivial and stupid to you aren't to others, such as the people who raised the concern, the folks at BoC who listened, or others who are questioning their decision to give-way?

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#73 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

If your post stood out alone, then why did you attach it in response to another message that was mentioning the triviality of it as well?

Did you ever consider that matters trivial and stupid to you aren't to others, such as the people who raised the concern, the folks at BoC who listened, or others who are questioning their decision to give-way?

You're not getting the point..
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#74 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

You're not getting the point..

The point was addressed in my response. Perhaps you don't get it.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#75 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Quebec, however, "the inclusion of an Asian without representing any other ethnicities was seen to be contentious."

there's the reason... not French enough
when I saw the image asian never entered my mind nor any race.

#76 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

http://www.ctvnews.c...-bills-1.918037

Damn Canada, you racist

Stupid idiots wasting more time and tax payers money on stupid issues. That lady on the bill didn't even look that Asian to me. It is kind of stupid how they waste our money to fix insignificant errors like this. I wonder how much this cost to fix? I sometimes think we have monkeys managing our money.

Edited by Pouria, 17 August 2012 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image

#77 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

.. that this isn't Asia?

Truthfully, I don't see why it matters to have a person at all. Just put the bottle of insulin, and maybe a picture of the LCBO with the prices of booze in Ontario next to the price of booze in New York on the new $100. Soon that's what a beer will cost anyways.

This isn't England either. So they should put a picture of a real Canadian there. You know, like those natives that lived here way before the "Canadians" came to invade the land.

Posted Image

#78 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

Would you rather have the problem of suicide bombers?

Suicide bombing mostly happens in middle east and mainly in Iraq. Iran, Philippines and other 3rd world countries in Asia don't have suicide bombers.

Posted Image

#79 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

It doesn't. However, pointing our hyper-sensitivity which ultimately keeps the reflective diversity from being reflected through our national institutions is something we can complain about in order to refine our society in order to better reflect the accomplishments and participation of the diverse population that makes up Canada.

yeah, refining society by wasting tax money on it. I think they would be better off refining that budget.

Posted Image

#80 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Or why don't we print out bills with just the color and the denomination on it?

No more scenes of hockey, women, or frozen rivers - there; problem solved.

They could've just went with the faces of the Canadian prime ministers and pictures of Canadian landmarks at the back like US bills. I don't know why they have to put pictures of animals, hockey players or scientists at the back of the bill. It makes it look like monopoly money.

Posted Image

#81 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

I agree with avelanch. She doesn't look Asian to me either. Looks like a case of people looking too hard to find something to complain about.

The "focus" groups need more focus, as far as I'm concerned...

I think the groups need less focus. You've gotta be focusing too hard to think so strongly that she's asian. I say shame on the Bank of Canada for caving in. Wimps.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#82 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

Suicide bombing mostly happens in middle east and mainly in Iraq. Iran, Philippines and other 3rd world countries in Asia don't have suicide bombers.

The Philippines isn't in Asia?? Iraq isn't in Asia?? Iran isn't in Asia?? Afghanistan, which you failed to mention, isn't is Asia??

This Middle East ISN'T in Asia??

:picard:

yeah, refining society by wasting tax money on it. I think they would be better off refining that budget.

So, we shouldn't use taxes imposed on society to help refine society, because that'd be a waste of social money for society.

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Sharpshooter, 17 August 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#83 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

Just because she's squinting her eyes, doesn't make her asian!
Posted Image

#84 masutheakita

masutheakita

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

Quebec, however, "the inclusion of an Asian without representing any other ethnicities was seen to be contentious."

there's the reason... not French enough
when I saw the image asian never entered my mind nor any race.

Stupid idiots wasting more time and tax payers money on stupid issues. That lady on the bill didn't even look that Asian to me. It is kind of stupid how they waste our money to fix insignificant errors like this. I wonder how much this cost to fix? I sometimes think we have monkeys managing our money.

As stated before, the reason the woman on the bill/examples you see does not look asian is because they only released the changed image.

The public has not been shown the image where the woman looks asian.

Edited by masutheakita, 17 August 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#85 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Watch them try to "rectify" the situation by putting an image of a Chinese man working on the railroad. Or perhaps an image of Japanese internment camps or the Komagata Maru being turned away. Hey, if you're gonna be racist, might as well go for the gold.

We'll probably end up with bronze.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#86 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

If there's one thing we can learn from all this is that when in doubt go with the norm, the norm in this case is white.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#87 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

This isn't England either. So they should put a picture of a real Canadian there. You know, like those natives that lived here way before the "Canadians" came to invade the land.

I, Pouria, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God.

We may not be England but it sure as hell is closer to England than any Asian country.

I'm also fairly sure plants and other animal species were here, should put them, so we don't discriminate against those here way before the natives.

The fact that this was made a big deal by anyone.. get a grip.

Edited by zaibatsu, 17 August 2012 - 08:24 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#88 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#89 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

I had already made a post before I responded to anybody, maybe you should read back further.
And yes, the "issue" (if you can even call it that) of Canada putting an "asian looking woman" on our money is a trivial one, the fact that people have made it into a big deal is beyond stupid.

I find the fact that it is you of all people defending the complainees quite interesting as well.

Edited by Jagermeister, 17 August 2012 - 09:16 PM.

Posted Image

#90 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Posted Image

Thanks for the laugh! haha +1

Edit: So will it make my $100 collectable in 50 years? :$

Edited by PlayStation, 17 August 2012 - 09:10 PM.

Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.