335 replies to this topic

#241 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

You can't ban someone for speaking their mind. While Big Luongo's schtick on the Sedins being soft is tired cliche, considering how excellent Henrik was in the playoffs, Edler is the exact opposite of Henrik.

Henrik is consistent, he is the greatest passer and one of the greatest playmakers in the game today. We watched him become a warrior in the short-lived playoff run. He was consistent every game.

Edler is not. He never has been. Therefore he cannot be the highest paid defenceman on the team. Big Luongo is right about another point. Edler lacks a killer instinct. This was evident not only during the playoffs, but long stretches of the regular season. Yes he possesses a powerful shot and can dish out big hits, but he fails to do either with any consistency.

I couldn't agree more and you make some great points.

This guy has a mad love for Edler and thinks because he scores all his points with the Sedins great play and throws the odd good hit when he feels brave enough he gets a free pass on sucking and hurting the team with the rest of his game.

Personally i would rather 1 of either Sedins over 3 Edlers.

Edlers contributions to the Canucks are nowhere near either Sedin and as far as i am concerned this guy can leave i won't miss him.

Edlers inconsistent play in all areas is a huge problem and this guy doesn't deserve the money him and his agent are likely asking for.The Sedins make this guy who he is for the most part and him and his agent would be a idiots to think otherwise.

As far as the Sedins go i have always been a big fan of the Sedins and all they bring to the Canucks on and off the ice. They are world class players and great human beings it's a honor to have them play for the Canucks and i really hope they get to raise the Stanley Cup soon because they will definitely deserve it.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 20 September 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#242 CHodgson9

CHodgson9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Edler's Agent knows he can get $6M + on the open market, and if you think otherwise you're the idiot. If Edler really wants a big deal, a 6'4 Allstar 50pt dman who is young and coming into his prime will surely get it.

The only reason he takes less to stay here is because he takes a "home town discount" and he enjoys his comfortable surroundings with the only team he's ever known.

Otherwise look to him to be heavily pursued by philly/det especially.
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

#243 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Edler's Agent knows he can get $6M + on the open market, and if you think otherwiise you're the idiot. If Edler really wants a big deal, a 6'4 Allstar 50pt dman who is young and coming into his prime will surely get it.

The only reason he takes less to stay here is because he takes a "home town discount" and he enjoys his comfortable surroundings with the only team he's ever known.

Otherwise look to him to be heavily pursued by philly/det especially.

I hope your right because if Edler and his agent want lets say 6.5 the Canucks know damn well with all Edlers weaknesses he isn't worth it and they will deal his a$$!

#244 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hopefully he will want to stay and we can sign him for around 5 mill a year

#245 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,656 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

I love CDC mentality. When a Canuck player's contract is coming up, their weaknesses are explained in every exact detail. However when we are trying to trade them their value is through the roof with little to no weaknesses.
Love it.

#246 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

I love CDC mentality. When a Canuck player's contract is coming up, their weaknesses are explained in every exact detail. However when we are trying to trade them their value is through the roof with little to no weaknesses.
Love it.

It's called having varying opinions by different people on a player there buddy. Every teams fans do the same.

It's like the bull rap we canucks fans get because 10% of the fans in the arena boo Luongo then every clown canucks hater dumb media guy says we canucks fans are hard on goalies!

As far as i am concerned the way Luongo has not stepped up he's lucky half or more of the arena didn't boo him when he deserved it!

Back with Edler just like many other past and present players has both good and bad qualities and most fans just see or notice the good so it makes sense.

Edlers good hard shot, hilight hit when it works out and good pass occasionaly make him very attractive to the viewer the announcers tend to spotlight these plays made so some fans have nothing but a hard on for him.

Edler scores lots playing with the Sedins your going to make the good hilights often the Sedins are world class players and he contributes to that at times how couldn't you lol

All the bad plays like the trying to hit getting caught out of position, all the missed shots taken because he can't hit the net, fumbles and fails to keep pucks in the ozone, bad pinching getting caught flat footed giving opposition odd man rushes, the chickening out of every squirmish, the failure to keep up to or with opposition forwards, the bad positioning in front of our net leaving forwards unguarded, lack of ability to hold pucks in opposition zone killing scoring chances, bad passing at times, the lack of footspeed and mobility to retrieve dump ins fast enough giving up puck posession in dzone, dumb penalties and the fact it always looks like he could care less we get scored on.

These are the liabilties i see far too often especially on a contending team and coming from a player who likely wants 6 million a season far more then our more well rounded steadier defensemen.

The reason why i believe people highly overrate him so often is that these liabilities are never talked about by announcers you have to see and notice for yourself and most fans don't.

I have been a fan of MG and the job he has done but i sure hope MG doesn't make the same mistake here with Edler he made with Luongo.

Long term with Edler for big money could backfire and personally i would rather see him traded.

Unless somehow he can get his act together i think it would help our team more if he was traded.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 24 September 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#247 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Destroy ya right you didn't prove a thing.
The Sedins are as soft as Edler so what! That just makes it all the more important that someone as soft as Edler isn't on their line because they could really use someone who has some balls.
Defensemen in the NHL should have some ability to be tough especially on the Canucks where we are pretty soft throughout. The Sedins, Burrows and Keslers need a tough dman with them to keep the opposition honest. I can't believe how many like you can' t see that this is a must have in order for the skilled players to do their thing did you not see thr Boston series lol.

Look if Edlers defensive game was much tighter i could put up with him being so soft but the guy too many times looks like a rookie getting caught wondering all over the ice flat footed and lost it's hard to watch. A top team should have a more solid player then Edler or like we all witnessed against LA it's just going to keep hurting our chances to win.

Edlers brutal play was totally unnacceptable and he was a major reason we lost that series and unfortunately it hasn't been the first time i have seen him play so brutal. He is much worse defensively then a lot of people want to admit and bad far too often even leading AV to call him out on it.

Btw Hamhuis's bad games are few and far between compared to Edler's that's ridiculous comparing their defensive games Hamhuis is ten times better defensively then Edler lol.

If i am MG i offer Hamhuis Bieksa money at best and if he doesn't accept i deal him with Luongo. Edler has far too many holes in his game including the lack of toughness i think a defensemen needs to get any more money then them.

I am hoping that MG is saying to Edlers agent the same thing and saying get your full game together and then we will talk elite dman money and if not trade him. Without the Sedins this guy will be nothing.

The Canucks will be just fine without him and maybe better off especially if him and his agent are getting greedy.

The Canucks are amazing with him. Proof? We have won the presidents trophy for two straight years. Everyone on the team was bad in the LA series. Oh and we didn't have Daniel for 60% of the series. The Sedin's are soft? sure i agree with you there, but it doesn't mean that they have to play that style of game. Player do different things to be successful, I'm not sure what era you think this is, but speed is now a factor in the game. Not all defensemen have to hit in order to be successful. That's true it's a factor, but Edler's offensive game is incredible.

Moving onto the Hamhuis issue. Hamhuis took a pay cut to be here, and your saying Edler is worth nothing by saying he's inconsistent, soft on the puck, terrible defensively, reliant on the Sedin's for offense..... yet? He's deserving of 4.5m? Woah i'm not sure where you came up with that number.... Maybe we should offer him league minimum on a two way contract, and send him to the bloody AHL to develop further. Hamhuis is also known for his consistent play. His best game and his worst are very close to each other.

I watched the Boston series, I think having a huge tough defensemen wouldn't have helped. However do you remember when we lost Hamhuis when he threw that huge hip check? Exactly. That was the point when our game fell apart, because if i seem to recall we were leading that series when Hamhuis went down.

Again I would like to point out our entire team was in disarray without Daniel Sedin. Your facts are based on nothing, but putting a scapegoat on our team at every turn. Just because Edler doesn't want to resign at the moment, doesn't mean trade him for scraps. He's a dominant player and you will regret your words, just like the people who ripped on Burrows when he first got on the team. In case you didn't read my entire argument i'll sum it up for you. Our entire team sucked against LA we were missing Daniel Sedin, which is like Detroit missing a Lidstrom. In the Boston series our defence was solid up until the point we lost Hamhuis.

I may not have destroyed you last post, but my arguments are airtight whereas your reasoning reminds me of when i was 13 and ignorant enough to think that we could sign Teemu Selanne.

Posted Image
Sick Sig Made By: allons-y

#248 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

LP

#249 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Long term with Edler for big money could backfire and personally i would rather see him traded.

Unless somehow he can get his act together i think it would help our team more if he was traded.

I agree with this 100%.
If he signs somewhere between 5-5.5, its a little rich but alright. If he's asking for WAY more, I would ship him out.
His hype and reputation on paper is worth much more than the real Alex Edler as a player...

#250 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

I agree with this 100%.
If he signs somewhere between 5-5.5, its a little rich but alright. If he's asking for WAY more, I would ship him out.
His hype and reputation on paper is worth much more than the real Alex Edler as a player...

Agreed. I'd say offer him a decent contract length at about 4 years and $5.5 million a year. Sound fair?
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#251 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

6 years 4.75 per year.

Sean Avery has the softest hands in the league.

#252 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Edler will probably be traded as he doesn't seem like the tpye of guy who will take a "hometown discount" - I hope I'm wrong!

I love to gargle with ketchup twice a day. Every day.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#253 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

If he doesn't sign with us just because if money I wouldnt want him.

Just like with Ehrhoff, I dont want someone greedy like that.

Edited by Cody Hodgson 9, 01 October 2012 - 09:48 PM.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#254 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

But I think he will re-sign.

He took #23 because that was his scouts number or something.

He also doesn't seem like the greedy type.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#255 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

If Gillis loses him too, then he deserves to be fired. You can't expect everyone to take a home town discount. frack dude, this is a 50 point defencemen, and this is how they negotiate. They negotiate based on the players total points. I'm sure he's not asking for 7 million, but man, I don't care what happens, losing Edler will be a f in huge blow to the team.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#256 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

I think people bashing Edler doesn't realize we don't really have good option other than to sign him. Weber's locked up and Suter's gone too. If you want to replace Edler, it's just not possible. There aren't so many D's these days as young as him who skates and hits decent while putting up quite a bit of points. Sure, he messes things up badly at times, but if you want him to never make ANY mistake in any situation, then you're basically asking for a Lidstrom.

Fans need to THINK before babbling because realistically - and without trading key pieces like Sedins or Kesler - , there's absolutely nobody in the league we could get to replace Edler. People don't seem to realize we're not in great shape when it comes to our D. If you want Edler gone, then we're left with:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Ballard
Tanev - ???

That lineup *might* get us through the first round. Not really after that.
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

#257 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

Agree with above post.
Edler and Raymond for Bobby Ryan and a 3rd would be sweet but then we are very thin on defense, impeded to replace Edler, we'd have to give up quite a bit, very hard to find someone as young and as good as him

#258 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

People rate Edlers good offensive abilities a way too high.
The Sedins will make any decent offensive defencemans point totals into a all stars and imo Kevin Connauton will get just as many points as Edler in his first season if given the chance.

Connauton has worked very hard at his defensive game, is very physical, has great passing skills, has a great shot and uses it well, is very mobile and is a very good rusher of the puck .

If the Canucks put Connauton in early season and work with him closely there's no doubt in my mind he will do excellent and will be in fine form come playoff time.

We have a strong team around him including an awesome goalie to help him out as well.

We should use Edlers money somewhere else.

#259 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think people bashing Edler doesn't realize we don't really have good option other than to sign him. Weber's locked up and Suter's gone too. If you want to replace Edler, it's just not possible. There aren't so many D's these days as young as him who skates and hits decent while putting up quite a bit of points. Sure, he messes things up badly at times, but if you want him to never make ANY mistake in any situation, then you're basically asking for a Lidstrom.

Fans need to THINK before babbling because realistically - and without trading key pieces like Sedins or Kesler - , there's absolutely nobody in the league we could get to replace Edler. People don't seem to realize we're not in great shape when it comes to our D. If you want Edler gone, then we're left with:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Ballard
Tanev - ???

That lineup *might* get us through the first round. Not really after that.

Pretty sure that Poile didn't sign either an NTC or and NMC for Weber, so saying he is locked up is misleading.

Now why Poile didn't sign either is anyone's guess but obviously speaks to the idea that he intends to trade Weber with a year or two.
Posted Image

#260 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

#261 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

If Edler wants to remain in Vancouver, then he will. Let him play out his final year of his contract and see how he does. I like Edler but have a hard time thinking he's worth anything over 5.25 depending on term. He isn't an elite player but does bring allot to the table. I hope the Canucks can extend him.
:towel:

#262 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

If Gillis loses him too, then he deserves to be fired. You can't expect everyone to take a home town discount. frack dude, this is a 50 point defencemen, and this is how they negotiate. They negotiate based on the players total points. I'm sure he's not asking for 7 million, but man, I don't care what happens, losing Edler will be a f in huge blow to the team.

Losing him for nothing would be a huge blow. Trading him for something of value wouldn't be. I like Edler, but not at anything more than 5 mil per.
:towel:

#263 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

Losing him for nothing would be a huge blow. Trading him for something of value wouldn't be. I like Edler, but not at anything more than 5 mil per.

exactly get a defencemen in the luongo deal... AKA Franson and move Edler for a big talented Center prospect and a pick AKA Faska and a 1st might have to add some on Edlers side but people should be able to understand.

#264 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

One massive difference, I am sure which would even be noticed by that buff dude in your siggy, is the 30 lb difference between Eddler and K Not.

Guess some guys don't believe bigger is better...? :P

edit; and thinking absolutely logically we are already on the thin line of playing talented D over having enough size on D (where we have been exploited in play-off series past). Exchanging a roster spot losing Edler regardless how you think of him, for a guy 30 pounds lighter is stupid. It's a matchup nightmare! I've also noticed posts giving up strong asset's like Lou for marginal players like Franson to avoid this liability. It's folly!

The Sedins will make any decent offensive defencemans point totals into a all stars and imo Kevin Connauton will get just as many points as Edler in his first season if given the chance.

Connauton has worked very hard at his defensive game, is very physical, has great passing skills, has a great shot and uses it well, is very mobile and is a very good rusher of the puck .

If the Canucks put Connauton in early season and work with him closely there's no doubt in my mind he will do excellent and will be in fine form come playoff time.

We have a strong team around him including an awesome goalie to help him out as well.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 03 October 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#265 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

No matter how you slice it; we have to reserve $5 to $7 mill (or new CBA equivalent to sign Edler. Where he does not sign, we still have that money to shop and we still get something back.

Unless we look in no waay like a contender at the next deadline. It's probably better to keep Edler for a cup run (where we make $30 to $60 mill) and take your chances signing him!

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 03 October 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#266 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

Some of you guys are joking if you think we don't need Edler. He is bonafide top pairing defenseman. Sure he has weaknesses and is inconsistent, but he has all the tools every other team would love to have: Size, mobility, physicality, puck-moving, and a hard shot. We have no suitable replacement in the organization right now.

He's going to get paid. That is that. Unless the dynamics of a new CBA totally change the UFA market, Edler won't take a penny less than the 5.5 million Matt Carle deal. Edler is FAR superior to Carle in every facet of the game. With that comparison, 5.5 million is a hometown discount and I would for one would be fine giving Edler 5.5 for 6 years. We need him.

Do you want a defense like this?
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Garrison
Alberts - Tanev

And hopefully maybe Connauton or Sauve will surprise us.

That defense takes us no where. Like it or not Gillis will need to pay Edler. He has to really.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#267 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Elite teams replace greedy players with great upcoming prospects quite often and don't miss a beat.

The Canucks are very deep and will have great mentors for Connauton he will have tons of support on a great team.

Connauton will bring as much or more offense, will meet the physical needs a dman should have and will do just as well defensively. Connauton has a way more heart and balls then Edler physically it will not be a problem at all plus he isn't a small guy.

If we didn't have such a offensive stud like Connauton to take his place offensively i would think twice but Connauton will produce big points.

The truth is Edler is a decent dman with most of the tools but the Sedins and others make Edler look like a All Star.

With Edler's fat contract he want's and him being so mistake prone and having a such a shabby defensive game it would be well worth it to package him off possibly with Luongo and or Raymond for something really good.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 04 October 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#268 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

I am convinced Connaution and Sauve are ready to play in the NHL now. Why cant they be the 6th and 7th and give Ballard the top 4 spot ?

We are not paying 6 mil for edler and thats what his agent has convinced him he is worth on the open market. Man I wish they would cut a new CBA so we could trade his ass asap.
Posted Image

#269 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

I don't understand why you didn't respond to my prior argument. You mentioned in one of your posts back a few pages that Edler doesn't shoot enough? In direct comparison everyone here on CDC can say that Daniel Sedin is our top scorer.

Daniel Sedin had 229 shots on goal where as Edler had 228 shots on goal. Yes Edler played more, but Edler is also a defensemen who happen to shoot a lot less. Now remember shots are only counted, when the goalie has to make a save. This excludes all the slap passes off the boards that Edler fires on net. Another comparison would be Alex Burrows who had 30 less shots, while playing directly on the Sedin's line... now holy his money is a complete waste of cash. The Canucks scored 57 power play goals this year, and Edler had 5 of them. Finally in case you wanted to compare shooting percentages, then your right Edler is terrible at shooting, but again we should put Byron Bitz on the point since he has a 16.7% shooting percentage.

Also I would like for you to explain your constant contradictions. You like to say that Edler sucks at skating, shooting, passing, hitting, consistency, is a little "girl" on the ice, and can't fight. Then you say in your latest post that he has most of the tools? I don't understand that. Aren't the tools of hockey exactly skating, shooting, passing, hitting, consistency, and etc.

Elite teams usually have players to fill roster spots, but we don't have many elite defensemen. I'm not saying KC won't be a beast one day, but he is not NHL proven. Even if he has a great first year, he's prone to a sophomore slump, and I'd feel a lot confident having Edler and the defence group slowly mentor him. I'm not saying Edler deserves Shea Weber money, but 6 million long term is a very fair amount for a guy whose still developing his game. There's a reason that people say defensemen need time to mature. As you can clearly see from statistics he is clearly more confident shooting the puck, and the results are there.

Edler needs to be resigned. Not at any cost, but 6 million a season... would not make anyone in management, or the fan base lose sleep. Well other than you of course.

Posted Image
Sick Sig Made By: allons-y

#270 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

I don't understand why you didn't respond to my prior argument. You mentioned in one of your posts back a few pages that Edler doesn't shoot enough? In direct comparison everyone here on CDC can say that Daniel Sedin is our top scorer.

Daniel Sedin had 229 shots on goal where as Edler had 228 shots on goal. Yes Edler played more, but Edler is also a defensemen who happen to shoot a lot less. Now remember shots are only counted, when the goalie has to make a save. This excludes all the slap passes off the boards that Edler fires on net. Another comparison would be Alex Burrows who had 30 less shots, while playing directly on the Sedin's line... now holy his money is a complete waste of cash. The Canucks scored 57 power play goals this year, and Edler had 5 of them. Finally in case you wanted to compare shooting percentages, then your right Edler is terrible at shooting, but again we should put Byron Bitz on the point since he has a 16.7% shooting percentage.

Also I would like for you to explain your constant contradictions. You like to say that Edler sucks at skating, shooting, passing, hitting, consistency, is a little "girl" on the ice, and can't fight. Then you say in your latest post that he has most of the tools? I don't understand that. Aren't the tools of hockey exactly skating, shooting, passing, hitting, consistency, and etc.

Elite teams usually have players to fill roster spots, but we don't have many elite defensemen. I'm not saying KC won't be a beast one day, but he is not NHL proven. Even if he has a great first year, he's prone to a sophomore slump, and I'd feel a lot confident having Edler and the defence group slowly mentor him. I'm not saying Edler deserves Shea Weber money, but 6 million long term is a very fair amount for a guy whose still developing his game. There's a reason that people say defensemen need time to mature. As you can clearly see from statistics he is clearly more confident shooting the puck, and the results are there.

Edler needs to be resigned. Not at any cost, but 6 million a season... would not make anyone in management, or the fan base lose sleep. Well other than you of course.

Ok let me explain what should be obvious.

Edler get's shots any dman would with the Sedins the coaches want him shooting a ton they think either he scores, rebounds are to be had and opens things up for the Sedins. The sad thing is any dman with a shot as hard as Edlers should have 15 goals easy getting all the chances they get with the Sedins. He gets a lot of shots but he misses the net far too often and could be far more productive at it from what is see.

Edlers fairly slow and especially the mobility is lacking most of all the quick turns and movements needed in the defensive zone. Edler concedes races for dump ins far too often and is very weak retreiving dump ins and getting pressured.
Passing wise Edlers fairly solid although at times he can be frustrating at times too.

Edlers hitting skills are far too overated because he can land that hilight real hit the odd time. The truth is all too often he tries too hard to throw that big hit getting caught out of position and costing goals against.

As far as the type of physicality i think a good defensemen should have is he needs to strike at least a bit fear into opponents, hit aggressively quite often clear the net defending the goalie teammates and the crease, getting nasty after whistles, the ability to fight and teach opponents liberties wont be tolerated.

The only thing Edler does of the above is throw the nice hard hit at times when lucky enough and get Sedin aided point totals.

There's a lot of fans like yourself who apparently only see the good unless it slaps you in the face and even then many of you are in denial although more and more are finally noticing his many difficincies.

Edler is far too overrated like i was saying this is my opinion and nobody on here will prove to me different. I have seen it with my own eyes since his career with the canucks began and nothing unfortunately has really changed he's definitely not growing as a dman liked i had hoped.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 07 October 2012 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.