The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Owner To Buy Abbotsford Sports Entertainment?

Alex the Great

The Aquilini's own a substantial amount of land in the Eastern end of the Valley. They are partners in the largest dairy farm in BC (which is in Chilliwack), they recently tried to buy up the majority of chicken quota (layer and specialties) in Abbotsford (unfortunately the chicken farm community in Abbotsford is run like a mafia and they were rudely shown the door) and they also have special interest properties throughout.

Their purchase of the AESC and moving of the farm teams will be well received in the community, but it will not be as great as many people think. The entire process of adding an arena and team to Abbotsford was done in the equivalent of the Liberals enacting the HST. It will take forever for the city of Abbotsford to forgive the way it all went down.

However, the surrounding communities will be huge in supporting the baby Canucks. Chilliwack, Mission, Langley etc will deliver lots of fans.

Abbotsford Roughriders? :bigblush:

Here's the current list of AHL teams and their NHL affiliations: http://theahl.com/nhl-affiliations-p171464. There's a handful of AHL teams that share the name of their parent club (i.e., Devils, Senators, Bruins, Stars, Penguins and Sharks). And back when the Canucks' farm team was in Hamilton, they were known as the Hamilton Canucks. Personally, I would prefer they come up with something else.

Maybe they could buy the rights to the 'Moose' name from Mark Chipman?

Would it be for this upcoming season? (2012-13) or the season afterward's (2013-14) if the deal did go through, cause the meeting is kinda late (Sept 7th) and the pre-season would be begging right away so they might hold off a year?

Anyone know or have a "theory"?

Abbotsford totally bailed out if this happens. I've yet to see a game there just for the Heat, and i'm certain the majority of Canucks fans are in the same boat. Anybody but Calgary's sadsack prospects please. But if it's the Canucks', BONUS!

Meanwhile, it's better now, but Abby might want to look into improving the infrastructure around there if indeed Vancouver's farm team is arriving.

I would say call em the Abbotsford Orcas, but that might be too close to the Connecticut Whale. :P

Abbotsford Millionaires or Abbotsford Aviators.. I like the sound of both of those.

and I really like the sound of our prospects playing there. I imagine that the Wolves attendance was terrible in Chicago while our prospects played there, too.

Archived