Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Canucks Owner To Buy Abbotsford Sports Entertainment?

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#91 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

abbotsford tandoori churches

:sadno:
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#92 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:48 AM

well the canucks did purchase the rights for the millionaires and have done nothing with them.

Tht would be super cool!

#93 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

What happens to Chicago fans and the Wolves.

The people of Chicago seemed to get behind the VC players.............is it fair to them to up sticks and and go after only a couple of Seasons?.............I don't know.

1. Hershey 0 ..........................375,146................. 38...................... 9,872
2. Chicago 0 ..........................300,550 .................38 ......................7,909
3. Lake Erie 0 ........................298,096 .................38 ......................7,845
Providence 0 297,037 38 7,817
Houston 0 278,299 38 7,324
Grand Rapids 0 275,632 38 7,253
San Antonio 0 271,083 38 7,134
Charlotte 0 257,189 38 6,768
St. John's 0 239,299 38 6,297
Milwaukee 0 236,579 38 6,226
W-B/Scranton 0 229,053 38 6,028
Manchester 0 216,622 38 5,701
Rochester 0 212,605 38 5,595
Toronto 0 208,223 38 5,480
Texas 0 207,855 38 5,470
Peoria 0 205,726 38 5,414

Abbotsford is 3rd last in the League with about 3,000

Despite the fact that we haven't given Chicago a great deal, prospect wise I think they have been damn loyal. They also have a great community / charity thing going down there. I remember seeing a programme on ESPN America where guys like Parent, Lack and Con were really idolised by the fans.

I watched quite a few of the games there and many appeared to be matinees, with lots of kids. Is it fair to take the Canucks away from these youngsters? It seems a bit greedy to me.
I could see, with the prospects we have brought in the crowds getting even bigger ............so is it fair to them?

Edited by Bodee, 19 August 2012 - 04:29 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#94 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

This would be a great move. I know Canucks fans would fill the building in Abbotsford to see our future prospects.

I'm not so sure. All I hear is the usual exaggerated CDC high pitched glee..........given a few poor results and any of you who did go .................and I think like with most things on here, it's ALL TALK ...............you'd be back home to your playstations in the wink of an eye rattling off abuse at every prospect in sight.

Chicago have proven their loyalty, despite, as I say, we have not given them much to get excited about.
Kevin.jpg

#95 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

Having the AHL club close by in no way guarantees attendance. No offense to those in Abbotsford but it is far from Vanvouver! There aren't many weeknight games but it's still a long trek on a weekend. And Abbotsford really makes no sense in the A. Their travel would be way worse than the Canucks. There is no team close. Other teams hate having Abbotsford in the legue and if I'm not mistaken the Hest subsidize travel for visiting teams. And if the team loses all bets are off.

The Wolves are one of the best franchises in the AHL. They play in front of large crowds, have an owner that could be a NHL owner, are run like a pro team and are in a hockey hotbed with teams all around. And perhaps the best feature is they play to win. Something that isn't true of a lot of AHL affiliates. And similar to the great situation they had in Winnipeg??

The best option for the Canucks would be to buy an AHL club and move it right into Rogers Arena and keep the Heat in Abbotsford. This works best for both clubs. The Heat are less isolated and the Canucks have a natural rival close by.

Edited by bd71, 19 August 2012 - 05:23 AM.

#96 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:02 AM

Was never happy that our farm team went into hostile territory. Also the distance for an emergency call up was ridiculous. Didn't we suit up some amateur goalie from UBC one year due to this???

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#97 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

Having the AHL club close by in no way guarantees attendance. No offense to those in Abbotsford but it is far from Vanvouver! There aren't many weeknight games but it's still a long trek on a weekend. And Abbotsford really makes no sense in the A. Their travel would be way worse than the Canucks. There is no team close. Other teams hate having Abbotsford in the legue and if I'm not mistaken the Hest subsidize travel for visiting teams. And if the team loses all bets are off.

The Wolves are one of the best franchises in the AHL. They play in front of large crowds, have an owner that could be a NHL owner, are run like a pro team and are in a hockey hotbed with teams all around. And perhaps the best feature is they play to win. Something that isn't true of a lot of AHL affiliates. And similar to the great situation they had in Winnipeg??

The best option for the Canucks would be to buy an AHL club and move it right into Rogers Arena and keep the Heat in Abbotsford. This works best for both clubs. The Heat are less isolated and the Canucks have a natural rival close by.

You realize the conversation about distance goes both ways. I live in the Fraser Valley and I won't go out to Canucks games because of traffic/distance/cost of games but do go to a few Heat games a year just to watch good hockey at an affordable option and many people out here feel the same way.

Edited by Russ, 19 August 2012 - 06:19 AM.

Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#98 mcsteeeve

mcsteeeve

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

How about Abbotsford Farm Hands

#99 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,765 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

If the Canucks minor team winds up in Abbotsford, I know for sure I'll be there a lot.

Posted Image
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

#100 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

abbotsford united scorpions

#101 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

matsqui manure sprayers

#102 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,583 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

It's less than an hour and a quarter away. I think the hockey crazed market here would support our affiliate team and provide the right atmosphere as well as attendance. I hate the thought of any of our potential players establishing roots in or feeling any kind of loyalty to Chicago. Doesn't sit well with me and I'd love them to play here and know they'd get a great turnout.

Posted Image

#103 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

It's less than an hour and a quarter away. I think the hockey crazed market here would support our affiliate team and provide the right atmosphere as well as attendance. I hate the thought of any of our potential players establishing roots in or feeling any kind of loyalty to Chicago. Doesn't sit well with me and I'd love them to play here and know they'd get a great turnout.

I don't see how that last point works at all. Most of our players grew up somewhere else and have roots and ties somewhere else. Many of the Canucks prospects are not from around Vancouver either.

I'm not saying it would be bad to have the prospects nearby but surely to establish them in a more central base (which was probably in their thinking anyway) makes much more sense. It also means that our coaches down there can look at a lot of up and coming local boys in the area.

However my main point is It looks like the Wolves could easily be the best supported team in the AHL next season and playing constantly in front of big crowds can only be good for our boys.
Like everything else the Canucks do, CDC and it's members will have no say on what happens and as far as my past experience on here goes, that can only be a good thing.

I don't think many of us realise just how lucky we are to have picked up a vibrant, go ahead and strong community team like the Wolves in which to base our young prospects.

Edited by Bodee, 19 August 2012 - 08:03 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#104 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

The Canucks are well served by the Wolves. The extra travel and increased hype surrounding a Lower Mainland AHL team could be negative.

In the event that it does go down I agree that two AHL teams in the Lower Mainland would be better. It eliminates some travel. Also I believe that the Canucks bought the Vancouver Millionaire name and logo a few years back.

#105 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Tilting at windmills, Bodee?? .. anyone who canna see how the positives out-weigh the negatives in having your farm team close to your organizational base for training, access to coaching, medical treatment and early "inclusion" into the Community, must be playing Devils Advocate for the sake of being ornery .. it is the fan base in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland that for the most part supports the Canucks .. these fans DESERVE access to these potential players.

I live about 9 to 10 hours north of the Lower mainland, and I, and many of my friends, would support the team in Abbotsford ..we would combine weekend trips where we could watch both the Canucks and their farm team play .. this would help bring added revenue to the Abbotsford community as well ..

The team being in Abbotsford may mean nothing to folks that are too far away to actually attend games, but for those who actually "pay" the freight for this Canucks franchise, having access to another level of the Organization would be very worthwhile.

Truth is, when I go down for a Canucks game, I stay in Abbotsford motels and shop their Malls .. true story .. :)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#106 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

Chicago has always supported the Wolves well and will continue to do so if the Canucks leave. The Wolves were the Atlanta Thrashers' farm team from 2001-2011 and averaged about the same attendance over that time period as they did while affiliated with the Canucks. http://www.hockeydb....ph.php?tmi=5237.

The thing to remember is that Acquilini is in the business of making money. Why have your farm team merely be an expense when you could own your own team and enjoy the profits from ticket sales, concessions, parking, merchandise, television & radio, etc.? The Canucks have been sold out every game since 2002 with a season ticket waiting list generations long. It only makes sense for Acquilini to capitalize on the insatiable appetite for all things Canuck by introducing the "Jr. Canucks" to the market.

Like most, my only concern is the amount of travel for the team. I don't think people realize how big the issue would be so here's a map showing where the existing AHL franchises are:
Posted Image
While many point to the close proximity as a benefit for emergency callups for Canuck home games, there should be some consideration for how fresh these players are due to the amount they have to travel. Also consider the requirement for emergency callups while the Canucks are on the road. Having an AHL affiliate in a more central location like Chicago that's also a major airline hub (United and American Airlines) served as a significant benefit.

That said, the Abbotsford farm team could benefit greatly by having access to all the resources made available by the parent club. Access to the best medical staff, training equipment, coaching (e.g., Rollie Melanson could work with Eddie Lack weekly instead of monthly), etc. In theory, the Canucks prospects should be able to develop better in this scenario.

#107 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

^ ^ ^ .. half the time the team will be on the road, and thus close to other AHL teams .. there needs to be an effort to establish more teams in the West .. plus all this travel will prep our lads for the "big show" ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#108 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

^^ All the talk about Seattle potentially getting an NHL team is a smokescreen IMO. However, should they get the arena that's being discussed, there's no reason why the AHL couldn't seriously consider relocating a franchise there at the first opportunity.

#109 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Abbotsford Grow Operators

Edited by Mr Soprano, 19 August 2012 - 10:11 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#110 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,583 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

The people of Chicago seemed to get behind the VC players.............is it fair to them to up sticks and and go after only a couple of Seasons?.............I don't know.

1. Hershey 0 ..........................375,146................. 38...................... 9,872
2. Chicago 0 ..........................300,550 .................38 ......................7,909
3. Lake Erie 0 ........................298,096 .................38 ......................7,845
Providence 0 297,037 38 7,817
Houston 0 278,299 38 7,324
Grand Rapids 0 275,632 38 7,253
San Antonio 0 271,083 38 7,134
Charlotte 0 257,189 38 6,768
St. John's 0 239,299 38 6,297
Milwaukee 0 236,579 38 6,226
W-B/Scranton 0 229,053 38 6,028
Manchester 0 216,622 38 5,701
Rochester 0 212,605 38 5,595
Toronto 0 208,223 38 5,480
Texas 0 207,855 38 5,470
Peoria 0 205,726 38 5,414

Abbotsford is 3rd last in the League with about 3,000

Despite the fact that we haven't given Chicago a great deal, prospect wise I think they have been damn loyal. They also have a great community / charity thing going down there. I remember seeing a programme on ESPN America where guys like Parent, Lack and Con were really idolised by the fans.

I watched quite a few of the games there and many appeared to be matinees, with lots of kids. Is it fair to take the Canucks away from these youngsters? It seems a bit greedy to me.
I could see, with the prospects we have brought in the crowds getting even bigger ............so is it fair to them?

I'm quite sure the guys with the big bucks whose main interest is the NHL team don't really care too much about "the fans in Chicago" when making these decisions. They have to do what is right for the team and, included in that, the prospects playing FOR the chance to join their team. And, if they want to move them here, great news for us.

You have to also consider that the Chicago hockey fans run hot/cold. Attendance is up right now but if you look back 5 years or more, wasn't always so. They didn't even hit 13,000 for the 2006-07 season. So sure, when the Blackhawks are hot it spills over and the Wolves are the likely beneficiaries in that. But don't paint them as more loyal or commited fans...simply a hot ticket item. Isn't any different than Vancouver and the loyal fans HERE, who would love to watch "their" team and also deserve a chance to see the prospects that we will support later on down the road. Many here simply can't get tickets to the Canucks but are no less deserving of attending the prospect's games.

The fans of Chicago are behind the team...but who's to say Vancouver fans don't also deserve that opportunity? I'm sure we'd be just as passionate/committed as the fine folk of Chicago to our prospects. My guess is moreso. Honestly - not sure why we (or the Vancouver based company who have the greatest interest in the Wolves members as developing players for our team) should give a rat's behind about the fans of Chicago. I, for one, don't.

It's not like Chicago fans hang in there through thick and thin and have some proven loyalty that gives them a right of way here....

Posted Image

#111 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

^ ^ ^ .. "and the truth shall set you free" .. looking forward to welcoming our prospects "home" .. should be a boon to the Upper Fraser Valley as well ..

#112 Day one

Day one

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

I don't know why every professional team WOULDN'T have their farm team close-by... It's silly not to, really!

That would make the Chicago Blackhawks extremely silly, wouldn't it? I wonder why only 2 NHL cities also have AHL teams, and only one NHL team has their affiliate in the same city (Toronto)?

#113 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Leave the name the Abbotsford Wolves. Hell...we have wolves out here in BC.

HistoryVisionDrive-HeartofaCanuck_rs.jpg

#114 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

Leave the name the Abbotsford Wolves. Hell...we have wolves out here in BC.

chicago would keep the wolves name, so you'd have 2 wolves teams then

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#115 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

^^ All the talk about Seattle potentially getting an NHL team is a smokescreen IMO. However, should they get the arena that's being discussed, there's no reason why the AHL couldn't seriously consider relocating a franchise there at the first opportunity.

Then you are obviously misinformed. The Arena is being built to bring in an NBA and NHL team, not AHL

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#116 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

chicago would keep the wolves name, so you'd have 2 wolves teams then

That's okay. There's already two Admirals teams. Norfolk Admirals and Milwaukee Admirals. :bigblush:

Posted Image

#117 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

That's okay. There's already two Admirals teams. Norfolk Admirals and Milwaukee Admirals. :bigblush:

haha I forgot about that

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#118 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Then you are obviously misinformed. The Arena is being built to bring in an NBA and NHL team, not AHL

Kansas City built a 19,000 seat arena in 2007 in hopes of attracting a NHL team as well. Simply building an arena doesn't guarantee the NHL will come.

All I'm saying is that IF Seattle doesn't get a NHL franchise, it would be a perfect opportunity for the AHL to swoop in and start to build geographical balance among its teams.

Edited by BobLoblaw, 19 August 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#119 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

I don't see how that last point works at all. Most of our players grew up somewhere else and have roots and ties somewhere else. Many of the Canucks prospects are not from around Vancouver either.

So establishing some roots in the area early on in their careers might be helpful.

I'm not saying it would be bad to have the prospects nearby but surely to establish them in a more central base (which was probably in their thinking anyway) makes much more sense. It also means that our coaches down there can look at a lot of up and coming local boys in the area.

Their thinking was that Chicago was the only available team.

However my main point is It looks like the Wolves could easily be the best supported team in the AHL next season and playing constantly in front of big crowds can only be good for our boys.

A Canucks affiliate will draw much better attendance than the Heat currently do.

Like everything else the Canucks do, CDC and it's members will have no say on what happens and as far as my past experience on here goes, that can only be a good thing.

I don't think many of us realise just how lucky we are to have picked up a vibrant, go ahead and strong community team like the Wolves in which to base our young prospects.

An Abbotsford affiliate would have all those positive attributes. Poor attendance in Abbotsford is mostly due to the fact that the NHL team associated with the franchise is a rival of the Canucks, in addition to being a terrible hockey team.

zWXdYPq.png

#120 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Tilting at windmills, Bodee?? .. anyone who canna see how the positives out-weigh the negatives in having your farm team close to your organizational base for training, access to coaching, medical treatment and early "inclusion" into the Community, must be playing Devils Advocate for the sake of being ornery .. it is the fan base in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland that for the most part supports the Canucks .. these fans DESERVE access to these potential players.

I live about 9 to 10 hours north of the Lower mainland, and I, and many of my friends, would support the team in Abbotsford ..we would combine weekend trips where we could watch both the Canucks and their farm team play .. this would help bring added revenue to the Abbotsford community as well ..

The team being in Abbotsford may mean nothing to folks that are too far away to actually attend games, but for those who actually "pay" the freight for this Canucks franchise, having access to another level of the Organization would be very worthwhile.

Truth is, when I go down for a Canucks game, I stay in Abbotsford motels and shop their Malls .. true story .. :)

Not even close Tearloch..............I support a "wee" team at home and I also watched most of the Wolves games on ESPN. During that time (and if you watched the games you will know what I'm talking about ie the between game/period interviews and features) I got an impression of just how the Wolves fans have taken to the Canucks players.

I will not insult you by saying you are incapable of the "purer" argument here because I'm sure you are and you are choosing to ignore it...................I might do the same if I lived in the vicinity................although I doubt it if I had seen the games on ESPN.

Now let's look at your reasoning.

Nearer to coaching? Really? We have just appointed new coaches have we not and I understand they are as close as they would be in BC. I would say the Vancouver Canucks coaches would be too busy to interfere anyway..........or need to be.

Medical Treatment?........Are you serious? I don't think the Chicago medics have a history of making a guy with a fractured back walk off the ice.......................... Sorry, I am exaggerating....................... The truth is Chicago is a world leading medical centre.

Early inclusion into the Community..............I take it that is the same Community who appear on here and rip our own players to shreds. No I don't think thats what they need, do you?

"these fans DESERVE access to these potential players."........No, I'm sorry they don't. The only people to be considered here are the players and they deserve peace to develop without being under the microscope of media publicity and fan rumour and the duplicity shown on these boards.

These Chicago fans have just started to get used to having the Canucks prospects and cheering them and idolising them, I do the same with my small team in Fife with our imports............I was gutted when 2 of them left to go to Italy / back to the states and not just because it was mid season. I understood but it didn't make the parting any easier.

There is a "we want it and we want it now" attitude on here, however as I said I trust the owners to do what is right for the development of the Club. If that means moving up to Abbotsford then so be it, I will feel sorry for all the young and not so young Chicago fans who are getting attached to the Canucks but I'll understand it's being done for more practical reasons than "it's close to Jimmy's house"
Kevin.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.