The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

That 'last post' i was referring to is actually the one below. Same idea, but less words. Maybe you'll be less confused this time.

Your words. Doesn't quite jive with your talk about not having to consider the if. You've been throwing around some 100% sure comments too, unless I'm quite mistaken.

That 'evolution' does not link to any God is something you take on faith but not fact. You think it's unnecessary, highly unlikely, improbable etc... whichever way you slice it - it's an opinion. It's something that can't be proven or disproven through science. Maybe that says more about the world and that there is more to meets the eye? It's for certain that science can explain what we can see or observe, but it can't look into anything beyond itself and into the 'metaphysical'... those are questions that theology attempt to answer. I do believe in God and yes I take it on faith but that's not to say it's not compatable with logic or reason or as the Sh. in the video i recently posted said, with science.

Having absolute faith in something as it's presented to you and showing a complete unwillingness to discuss it logically because it might interfere with what you believe to be true?

Zounds, you sure are different than the religious folk you hate so much!

I quoted the more wordy one, since that's what I originally addressed. Perhaps the confusion lays within what passes for comprehension in your brain.

I also never said that scientists do say speak with 100% certainty about anything....that doesn't mean that they don't hold scientific theories as fact. Again, maybe you should read more carefully.

It's based on idtiotic statements like:

Again, what alternate scientific 'theory' or 'theories' is/are there to possibly explain life aside from evolution??

I'm waiting for you to answer this, since you were so keen on telling me how open you are to other 'theoretical possibilities'.

Anyways, I'm done pursuing a conversation with someone about whether Evolution is 100% correct or only 99.9% correct, because then I become a pathetic person too. I'll leave with this: William Kingdon Clifford said in his 1884 paper The Scientific Basis of Morals, that 'If I let myself believe anything on insufficient evidence, there may be no great harm done by the mere belief; it may be true after all, or I may never have occasion to exhibit it in outward acts. But I cannot help doing this great wrong towards Man, that I make myself credulous. The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things, though that is great enough; but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them; for then it must sink back into savagery.'

The only way to get answers is to ask questions until you can't think of another one to ask. The Theory of Evolution is hardly up in the air - That was the entire point of the joke I made with the National Geographic cover. It's hilarious that it's still referred to as a 'theory' - but using the Scientific Method, you always, always, always, always, always ask more questions. Always.

Having absolute faith in something as it's presented to you and showing a complete unwillingness to discuss it logically because it might interfere with what you believe to be true?

Zounds, you sure are different than the religious folk you hate so much!

The Scientific Community, since the Enlightenment, has been extremely careful about referring to anything that isn't absolute fact as a Theory. It's just common policy, because calling something a fact when there are unanswered questions is an affront to the understanding of the Universe. So, yes, the 'Theory' of Evolution is just that. A fairly certain theory that, for many reasons, not the least of which is not having documentation throughout evolutionary history, cannot be called fact.

But, yes, i'm of the belief that Evolution is correct. Calling it a fact is simply not true until all other theories can be 100% disproven.

The point is, I wasn't saying Evolution wasn't a thing, I was saying that the Scientific Community is really giving as much benefit of the doubt as possible by not just saying 'Evolution. It's a thing that happened. Quit questioning it, it's silly'

Carl Sagan said "The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas." There are people currently trying to disprove gravity ffs. If they manage to do it, does that mean we were all dumb for believing what we believed? The goal of science is to find truth, no matter how inconvenient. Even if part of that inconvenience is leaving something like 'The Theory of Evolution' open for discussion so that all opposing views can be heard and quashed. And if Evolution is fact, then what worry would you have of someone questioning it? What's important isn't whether Evolution happened, or whether Gravity is real, or whether we can find the Higgs-Boson. What's important is the truth, good or bad.

Well, there's literally no scenario where we could prove creationism, is there? Short of a serious appearance by the big dude and some really, really awesome miracles and displays of power.

I mean, it's still not proof, but I'd probably take the guy at his word if he could make the Sun dance in the sky or something.

I never said anything about scientific theories, it would be more of a theological theory i suppose. But if it makes you feel better, let's toss the theory word all together, and just call it an idea.

So can we agree that 99.9% /= 100%? So what is the other 0.1%? However small, it would have to represent some alternative to the overwhelmingly most likely option.

Keep digging that hole if you like, I'm going to bed. See you tomorrow if I'm bored.

0.01% =/= evidence of God or evidence for other 'theological theories'.

If anything, the 0.01% is symbolic of science's ever vigilant desire to always improve on its knowledge and to not follow in absolutism.

You can argue semantics with me all night long if you'd like. It's perfectly amusing to me.

Well, there's literally no scenario where we could prove creationism, is there? Short of a serious appearance by the big dude and some really, really awesome miracles and displays of power.

I mean, it's still not proof, but I'd probably take the guy at his word if he could make the Sun dance in the sky or something.

To be honest, I'm not even going to pick one. If a dude shows up and starts making the Sun and Moon dance in the sky, and he says he's Xenu and we were all wrong and Scientology was, somehow, correct, I'm going to get behind the guy who is making the Sun and Moon dance in the sky.

Dude, that is literally all I've been preaching. I'm not even saying there's a logical answer other than Evolution. I just don't think that Science should ever be in the business of closing the doors to new ideas just because they're pretty sure about something.

Archived