The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

Francis Collins, one of the scientists who was on the Human Genome Project, is an evangelical Christian.

"“To get our universe, with all of its potential for complexities or any kind of potential for any kind of life-form, everything has to be precisely defined on this knife edge of improbability…. [Y]ou have to see the hands of a creator who set the parameters to be just so because the creator was interested in something a little more complicated than random particles.”

Given that's a US statistic, not many I would assume.

And you're using this argument that one smart guy believes in god therefore we all should. What about the myriad of brilliant scientists who don't believe in god?

Stephen Hawking, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, etc don't believe in god, therefore you shouldn't either.

Makes perfect sense, right?

Yeah I think Lennox deals with Hawking's view pretty well in his book "God and Stephen Hawking: Whose Design is it Anyway?" Great little book only 96 pages and not expensive I would recommend it. I read it in a day last Spring. Check out the reviews on Goodreads or Amazon anyway.

Plus even if it were given that the universe could create itself out of nothing (and that's a big given) it still wouldn't answer the questions of whether a god was necessary for life or consciousness. Not to mention if "laws like gravity" existed then that would be something and not nothing. Which just raises the question are the laws of physics eternal? Did they always exist or did they have a cause? Anyway you look at it, whether god, or the laws of nature, something had to always exist and we don't seem to be in a position to say what that something was for sure.

I don't understand. What do you mean? I'm assuming you think Genesis contradicts everything science is finding? If so, then trust me, I don't believe in young earth theory at all. Nor do I think Adam and Eve were the absolute first two human beings on the earth. But I still believe Genesis 1+2 as the infallible Word of God.

Archived