The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

Depends on the person I guess. A lot of atheists are downright disrespectful and mean to theists and whenever intolerance is preached (whether religious or atheist) the potential for harm to be done to one another increases. I think the potential is there for both sides but we see it more in religion because religion provides us with more extremes (like Islamic terrorists for example). That said I'd point out it's not the belief in God itself that is causing harm but the crazy things people get other people to do by manipulating them.

I think we should be tolerant of all beliefs unless those beliefs conflict with the well-being of another human being.

"You all a bunch of effin bumholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your effin' fingers and say, "That the bad guy." So...what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide--how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say [good-morning] to the bad guy."

Well, tell that to the persecutors of homosexuals, women, among others. Now which would you reasonably fits that description? Those who ignorance is based on dogmatic belief, or those whose ignorance accompanies non-dogmatic disbelief?

And in the case of religious...would the better word have been 'until' instead of 'unless'? We both know that for many it's just a matter of time till the conflict arises for them.

You don't have to be a religious nut to be homophobic, sexist, or whatever. There are tons of people around the world who persecute these people for a variety of reasons. It just so happens that many religious fundamentalists also try and use their holy books to support their hate for these other groups and this is what garners the spot-light. It makes much more popular headlines to say "Kansas Church Calls Homo's Sinners."

At least I put Tony Montana dialogue in quotes, so that one would know I'm not trying to pass something as my own. Not only do you steal someone's thoughts and work, who's actually real, but then you have the temerity to accuse another, when they clearly are quoting well known dialogue from a well known fictional movie, in order for you to seek a tit-for-tat type retribution??

Bravo. The faux Christian reveals himself for what he is.

You don't have to be a religious nut to be homophobic, sexist, or whatever. There are tons of people around the world who persecute these people for a variety of reasons. It just so happens that many religious fundamentalists also try and use their holy books to support their hate for these other groups and this is what garners the spot-light. It makes much more popular headlines to say "Kansas Church Calls Homo's Sinners."

please tell me if there was a nonreligious group of people that took 50,000 unwed mothers ,closeted them ,and when their babies were born drugged them ,in some cases for months on end until they signed adoption papers .

this is what happened in my country , and what happened to my biological mother .

Are they supporting their hate from their holy books and religious, or are they actually deriving their hate from them? I'd argue the latter.

And which other prominent reasons are you referring to?

And i'm not talking about mild sexism, I'm talking about calling someone a witch and then killing her. What other source aside from a religious one is there to commit that act?

please tell me if there was a nonreligious group of people that took 50,000 unwed mothers ,closeted them ,and when their babies were born drugged them ,in some cases for months on end until they signed adoption papers .

this is what happened in my country , and what happened to my biological mother .

I'd argue both. I think some religious folks read first and form their beliefs second, but I think even more are told what to believe and then read and make their holy books support their already preconceived notions. I think if, say Christians for example, really studied all their Bible says on homosexuality they would be surprised.

Other reasons? Fear, hate, it's "different", all the usual reasons people hate other groups of people.

Nazism, Communism...we have examples of secular regimes committing atrocious acts.

I'm not saying religion is a good thing. Only that it's not the only bad thing out there :P

Well, for the sake of getting into the argument, I'd submit that it could certainly be both.....but then all that means is that not only is religious dogma a source of hate, it's also an amplifier of latent hate as well.

I'll concede, it's not the 'only' bad thing out there, but man oh man.....it's securely staked out its territory in the Land of Bad, where all the bad are. :P

No, but there were non religious groups that raped and killed many woman and men - but this isn't a contest...this isn't a look how bad that group was or how bad another one was - humanity has been bad to itself ever since we got here.

Again, I'm sorry what happened to your mother...

Four Corners and the latest edition in the abuse scandal: still not learning the lessons?

"Since the advent of Towards Healing in December 1996, the Australian Catholic Church has committed itself publicly to a more victim-centred response when evil of this nature became known.

In the years since, the Church’s new intentions have not always been in evidence."

Indeed . i do not know of any one group of people that have engaged in pedophillia in my society to the same extent as priests from catholic church .

I'm sorry to hear that man. That's really rough.

Keep in mind though there are a lot of non religious groups who do crap like that all around the world. Crap like that happens quite a bit in African countries, especially when politics and the military are involved. You get people cutting off each others limbs, killing family members, raping women etc. The world can be a bad place because humanity is messed up. A lot of the time religion contributes to the messed-up-ness too and it's unfortunate for sure but it's not only religion.

When will humanity realize that religion only divides man. My Faith in science may eventually discover the presence or absence of God. Until then I will stick to concrete scientific evidence and facts of chemistry, biology, physics etc , etc. Being raised in a traditional religious environment really showed me the ignorance and blind faith that people will rest on unsubstantiated claims of alleged accounts from books or drawings on caves from antiquity to be GOSPEL TRUTH ???

The one true truth of manufactured faiths(religions of the world) is the control over the worlds way of thinking. That is clearly evident. I ask these questions to followers of religious doctrines and ideals " Does your faith encourage rational cognitive thought ? " or are you willingly being spoon fed these constructs because you have no real opinions and are just going with the flow?

I myself cannot claim with any strength that God exists or not but I am willing to see both sides of the proverbial coin if clear and concise evidence can be put forth in the discussion. So it was written so it shall be done ? c'mon ? Have a little more desire to seek the truth out. Search for rational explanations and work your way from there. It is a life long process that may not be answered until passing from this physical plain.

I'm sorry to hear that man. That's really rough.

Keep in mind though there are a lot of non religious groups who do crap like that all around the world. Crap like that happens quite a bit in African countries, especially when politics and the military are involved. You get people cutting off each others limbs, killing family members, raping women etc. The world can be a bad place because humanity is messed up. A lot of the time religion contributes to the messed-up-ness too and it's unfortunate for sure but it's not only religion.

Archived