116 replies to this topic

#31 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,167 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

I just got a dog last month (Purebred Maltese) and it has honestly been the best decision my family has made!

The little guy is always so energetic and so fun to play with.

Posted Image

Here's him staring out the front door, one of his favorite things to do!

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#32 22Sedinery33

22Sedinery33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Like everyone else said, adopt a dog from your local SPCA. They deserve a good home so why not give them one?
Posted Image

#33 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

If your going for a small-medium dog, I'd go with a Bulldog or Pug...both are pretty cool

However, if you want an AMAZING dog that might grow a little bit bigger, I recommend an AKITA hands down.

And they're smart. They are trained as both guide dogs and police dogs in Japan and here in N
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#34 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

Posted Image
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#35 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

So I am planning on getting a dog next June and I was wondering which type of dog I should get. I want a small - medium size dog that is capable of being left alone while no one is home (7 hours a day) that does not smell, shedding minimally, likes to stay inside (dont have a fenced backyard) and that is intelligent. Thanks in advance! This is my first dog so I want a low maintanence dog.

sounds like you want a cat

Get both, always worked for me.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#36 Sick Hands

Sick Hands

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

Get itchy

Posted Image

A Toast to Aquillini for getting Torterella.

An owner who knows what the people want.

That's entertainment.

#37 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Get both, always worked for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DxiOrelarw

Adorable. If my mom wasn't so opposed to getting a cat I would have done it ages ago. When I finish school and get my own place my dream is to adopt a kitten and a dog at the same time.

I have a mini Aussie Shepherd and I love her to pieces. Super friendly, loves to play, loyal and really smart (sometimes, hahaha)...she does shed quite a bit though which I guess is the only downside.

#38 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

Adorable. If my mom wasn't so opposed to getting a cat I would have done it ages ago. When I finish school and get my own place my dream is to adopt a kitten and a dog at the same time.

I have a mini Aussie Shepherd and I love her to pieces. Super friendly, loves to play, loyal and really smart (sometimes, hahaha)...she does shed quite a bit though which I guess is the only downside.

Beautiful breed. I've always had the larger G.Shepherd's throughout my life. Had two sets of the dog/cat combo over the years. Always made for interesting times, but it's remarkable how much they'd care for each other as part of the same 'pack' or 'clowder' depending on which one thought he was in charge.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#39 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

Dude I have a Mini Schnauzer

They dont shed are smart and alert and they are small

I love my dog so much hes adopted

You too PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE adopt your dog

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#40 Hobbes!!!

Hobbes!!!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:31 AM

<p>Another vote here for a Shihtzu.

I have a 10year old Shihtzu-Bichon. Great little guy. 17lbs (which is bigger than average for that breed). Doesn't bark often; listens quickly when you tell him to stfu. Was very easy to train. Very mellow dog except when he meets new people, then he goes bonkers. No shedding (allergies are the reason we got him). We put a pee pad thing in the garage so when we're not home for 8 hours or so at a time, he uses it. Never chews furniture.

Edited by Hobbes!!!, 20 August 2012 - 02:34 AM.

#41 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:13 AM

I just got a dog last month (Purebred Maltese) and it has honestly been the best decision my family has made!

The little guy is always so energetic and so fun to play with.

Posted Image

Here's him staring out the front door, one of his favorite things to do!

Ugh, my sister had one of these.. their shrieking barking is awful and has a tendency to be aggressive.

High maintenance to attempt and minimize the barking, although it doesn't shed everywhere.

Probably still a better idea than a dachshund or pug that I've seen mentioned, dachshund's are aggressive and eat anything, even your shoes, pugs are extremely attached and are at your heels everywhere you go in the house.

#42 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,640 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

Boxer. Very energetic. They absolutely love people.

#43 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

My wife and I have both a French Bulldog and a Boston Terrier. I would recommend a Boston Terrier if you were to only have one. I grew up with Cairn Terriers, while my wife had Golden Retrievers.

Cairn Terriers are also pretty good if you leave them alone for the day. Boston Terriers have a lot of energy, so daily walks are needed to keep them satisfied.

We love our French Bulldog, but they are good if you pair them with another dog to keep them company. They get incredibly lonely if you are not around, and are pretty stubborn for house training.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#44 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

i have a sh*tzu-bijon (sorry i had to do that the swearing detector thingy changed it to crapzu)

relatively small dogs, are hypo-allergenic, does not shed, listens to commands (if trained well), and i am not sure if this is just really rare with my dog or not but i have heard him bark litterally twice. He has a really relaxed personality and is good to stay at home for a lengthly period of time.

We have 2 of those as well...great travelling dogs as well.

We have a third dog now - but as a guard dog (I'm on 2.5 rural acres ) - she's a Komondor/Bouvier cross. Definitely not a city dog!

BTW, loading pictures to these forums suck: Error The server returned an error during upload

Posted Image

That's her @ 7 weeks old.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#45 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,674 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

i have a sh*tzu-bijon (sorry i had to do that the swearing detector thingy changed it to crapzu)

relatively small dogs, are hypo-allergenic, does not shed, listens to commands (if trained well), and i am not sure if this is just really rare with my dog or not but i have heard him bark litterally twice. He has a really relaxed personality and is good to stay at home for a lengthly period of time.

if you spell it correctly (shih-tzu) it doesn't get censored.

and my purebred shih-tzu is all man.

even though mine is a female.

Edited by avelanch, 20 August 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#46 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

If you want a dog that can stay at home while you work I wouldn't get anything under 2-3 years old.

#47 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

There is no such thing as a low maintenance dog. They need your love, care and attention all the time. Sounds like maybe you should get a cat if you are looking for a pet to have during certain times of the day only. Cats are much more independent.

Whatever you decide on, go to the SPCA and give an animal a chance to live and be loved for many more years.

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#48 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,664 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Posted Image

I got a pug x dachshund.

Most cuddly dog in the world. Sleeps all day, but is really active when you want it to be.

I have a cockapoo pug (cocker spaniel, poodle, pug), and he has a very similar demeanor as your dog. Must be a pug thing :P

My dog pretty much moves from the bed to the couch to another couch all day, except when he sees food or wants to play.

Overall, a great dog!

#49 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

I woul've recommended a Boxer but you want a small dog and don't have much of a yard...

Get a pug (1st reply).

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#50 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Shi'tzu are very intelligent, usually independent, do not shed AND would be buddies with Ballard's Shi'tzu .. we have had two for several years and they are great dogs .. I am a Golden Retriever/Scotch Collie kinda guy, but they need space and a lot of care .. Shi'tzu's are a very happy alternative and they are NOT yappy unless you let them be when they are young ..

This coming from a owner of sh*t-zu and did research on them before i got mine , They are actually considered to be one of the dumbest dog breeds .

They are a very friendly dog but take lots of patience and consistency to train
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#52 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,640 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

All you need to watch.

#53 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Augh, that is the most adorable thing ever!!!! :frantic:

Posted Image

I stand corrected.
That is the most adorable thing ever.
Posted Image

#54 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

So I am planning on getting a dog next June and I was wondering which type of dog I should get. I want a small - medium size dog that is capable of being left alone while no one is home (7 hours a day) that does not smell, shedding minimally, likes to stay inside (dont have a fenced backyard) and that is intelligent. Thanks in advance! This is my first dog so I want a low maintanence dog.

Your looking for the perfect dog and there just not out there , Really smart dogs cant be left alone all day unless left in a kennel when your not home because of them being smart they need there mind stimulated or there going to get bored and wreck stuff , Being that its going to be your first dog your definitely going to want a low maintenance dog so you dont get over whelmed because dogs can loose there cuteness pretty quick if you cant handle them and then your going to just end up dropping it off at the SPCA like so many people have .

Since your waiting awhile it will give you plenty of time research dogs and find one that will be able to be happy with in your lifestyle and infact there is dog matching quizs online that you might wanna try
http://animal.discov...dog-breeds.html
http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

here are a couple of them , Might give you a better idea one what your looking for
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#55 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,674 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

This coming from a owner of sh*t-zu and did research on them before i got mine , They are actually considered to be one of the dumbest dog breeds .

They are a very friendly dog but take lots of patience and consistency to train

i find it hard to believe you own one, never mind did research on them, considering you can't even spell the breed properly (Shih-Tzu).

Shih-tzus are stubborn, and want to do everything on their terms/when they want to, but they are very smart and can be trained to do many things easily, including very quickly learning potty training.

#56 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Get a Scottish Terrier.

Welsh Terriers are the best

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#57 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

If your going for a small-medium dog, I'd go with a Bulldog or Pug...both are pretty cool

However, if you want an AMAZING dog that might grow a little bit bigger, I recommend an AKITA hands down.

And they're smart. They are trained as both guide dogs and police dogs in Japan and here in N

Akita's are highly unpredictable and dominant and NOT RECOMMENDED for a first time dog owner. One of the most loyal dogs, but I wouldn't let that be his first dog.

Back to topic:

Smart dogs don't tend to be low maintenance, since they need/want a lot of challenges or work.

Get a Dutch Shepherd, they are like a smaller, healthier version of German Shepherd. Used as police dogs all over the world, and mainly Europe. http://www.dogbreedi...tchshepherd.htm

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#58 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

This website is HANDS DOWN the best website out there for dog info:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#59 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have a Maltese sh*tzu Pomeranian poodle cross. And he doesn't shed at all. It's called a multipoo I believe.

#60 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Boston Terrier

LOL, I have 2 Boston Terriers and they are not low maintenance dogs. Love 'em to bits, but they need a couple hours excercise a day. They can be left alone all day no problem, but that's assuming you've taken them for a good hour long walk in the morning, and will be taking them for another one that night. If you want a low maintenance dog that likes to be inside... BT is not the right choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.