Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Vancouver Sun and Province to charge for access to online content

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#31 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

I'll buck up for this. The Vancouver Sun is a great read.

The newspaper (in whichever format) is still the greatest place to get news (papers like the Province not withstanding :sick: ).

If you're afraid of big words and long articles, and not knowing something the second it happens, continue to get your news via msn, twitter, facebook etc.

Yeah, like there is a lack of free news media. Pfff...I could get my news from even better recognized sites like BBC, Reuters or CBC. There are so many news media apps and sites that I don't even read the Vancouver Sun. For local news I just look into the CBC website. Internet is a big world, it isn't like Vancouver Sun and the Province are the only news media around local or global.

Edited by Pouria, 28 November 2012 - 12:26 AM.

Posted Image

#32 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

I don't use the province at all anymore. I now use the montreal gazette as they have the same articles.

Posted Image

#33 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,895 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

lol dumbasses
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 Horny Manatee

Horny Manatee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

I hate it how The Province takes headline writing to a new level.

Headline: Double Murder in Burnaby (with video)

Click.

The video is just some guy talking.
Posted Image
Lick my lollipops?

#35 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Copying and pasting exists. Other papers have done this, just to see their content show up somewhere else.

You can legally steel a whole story for free, if you just give them credit. The Huffington Post does it, FFS, people on here do it ALL the time. If people can steal media like music and movies, they can sure as hell can steal basic text.

This is so idiotic. Of course it is a 60+ year old making this decision, who knows nothing about modern day marketing.

With enough traffic to their app or site, the ads the place in it should be MORE than enough to compensate both papers properly.

This is just a money grab.

Edited by Kamero89, 28 November 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#36 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hmmmm.... let's see. I find both The Vancouver Sun and The Province to be totally biased reporting. I have not subscribed to a single copy of either paper E-V-E-R (I believe they're the same company, too - I may be wrong). Never spent a single quater on either paper. I read it online when I can, but if they want to start charging me, forget it. Both papers are a joke - I like "facts" and neither can offer me that, without twists. So, I will gladly continue with my $o.oo payment for either of these "news" papers. B)
Posted Image

#37 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

Hmmmm.... let's see. I find both The Vancouver Sun and The Province to be totally biased reporting. I have not subscribed to a single copy of either paper E-V-E-R (I believe they're the same company, too - I may be wrong). Never spent a single quater on either paper. I read it online when I can, but if they want to start charging me, forget it. Both papers are a joke - I like "facts" and neither can offer me that, without twists. So, I will gladly continue with my $o.oo payment for either of these "news" papers. B)

Yes they are owned by the same company and even work in the same building. In some cases, on the same floor. Yet, they have manufactured a fake rivalry. Their sports editors have taken shots at each other in their papers, yet have been seen in public together. Give me a break.

They are owned by a company that trades on Wall St. Giant coincidence they ignored 100k worth of people walking on NYC for FIVE months. None of the media companies owned by Canwest mentioned the Occupy movement for it's first 5 months.

In comparison, ALL canwest newspapers mentioned a 12 person "tea party" protest by Republicans (conservatives) just months earlier. That's right. They chose to cover a 12 person protest in a very small suburb of Boston, over 100k+ of people marching on NYC

#38 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:33 AM

on an aside, I saw a "The Province" newspaper box in Bellingham. Thought that was odd.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#39 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

Typically an easy way around this is to find another blog or article that links to the article you want to read, if you click through via the secondary article it usually works.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.