99 replies to this topic

#61 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

If its for real love, then all the best to them.
If its not, then I really don't give a damn.

Either way, I don't really give a damn...

#62 Auximenes

Auximenes

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,857 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

I'm sure he's quite happy about it though Someday things are gonna get Complicated and he'll be left just looking at a Photograph

Edited by Auximenes, 22 August 2012 - 09:45 AM.

Posted Image
The Russian Rocket - Vintage Canuck

#63 Biasbieksa

Biasbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

People hate Nickelback because its the "cool" thing to do.
People hate Vancouver because its the "cool" thing to do. And kind of trendy between the two

Think for yourselves people, or you are as bad as everyone else who follows the mass of people.

#64 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

People hate Vancouver because its the "cool" thing to do. And kind of trendy between the two

Think for yourselves people, or you are as bad as everyone else who follows the mass of people.

Oh, yes! Hating popular things is very "Indie". :lol:

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

#65 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Exactly my point. Pop music is often more about image and marketing than interesting music that is impressive and stands out from the crowd.

The best musicians either have a combination of good technical skills, soul, and a unique style. Bieber and Nickelback don't really have any of those things.

Musicians are the "best" to those who enjoy listening to them. To say that mainstream artists are not technically good, and have no soul and style is generalization at it's most severe.

People all have different tastes, and that is awesome. But to knock an artist because they are popular is unfair. I am not a big fan of today's "Pop" music, but I do enjoy Nickelback sometimes. Yes, their "singles" are overplayed but, when you look at a CD or an artist's discography as a whole, it's often the "deep tracks" that stand out and provide the contrast to the singles.

To each, their own, I say. Why must we always bash what we disagree with?

#66 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

yeah, if people dislike nickelback it's because they can't think for themselves and they're trying to be cool

yup

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#67 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

yeah, if people dislike nickelback it's because they can't think for themselves and they're trying to be cool

yup

Hate and dislike are different words you know.

yup

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#68 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

She's gonna Yoko them.

#69 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hate and dislike are different words you know.

yup

graspin at straws, buddy

the band is easy to dislike, the band is easy to hate

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#70 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

graspin at straws, buddy

the band is easy to dislike, the band is easy to hate

What?

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

#71 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

what don't you understand?

for many people, the band is easy to hate, and that has nothing to do with a hivemind

what don't you understand

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#72 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

Exactly my point. Pop music is often more about image and marketing than interesting music that is impressive and stands out from the crowd.

Not just pop music... It's a good bet that your favorite bands were also pushed this same way, and aren't the best musicians out there either. In fact there is no 'good' or 'bad' music. It's all subjective.

#73 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Good for them. At least she did better than that sum 41 geek.

Subbancopy.jpg

#74 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

I dunno, guys...Avril's kind of cute.

#75 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

for many people, the band is easy to hate, and that has nothing to do with a hivemind

it's not normal or healthy to hate something that much. I don't like Nickleback really, but I just change the station if they are on like any band I don't like. Its a whole other level to actively hate on them, and the hivemind comes in when a bunch of like minded nerd ragers gather together on a message board and try to pretend their hate is normal.

edit - BTW if you were a jazz fan you would be hating on Kenny G rather than Nickleback. Each genre has its own whipping boy, which in my mind is more support for it indeed being a hivemind thing.

Edited by butters, 22 August 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#76 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

People who hate bands seem bitter, why not just not listen to them?

#77 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

it's not normal or healthy to hate something that much. I don't like Nickleback really, but I just change the station if they are on like any band I don't like. Its a whole other level to actively hate on them, and the hivemind comes in when a bunch of like minded nerd ragers gather together on a message board and try to pretend their hate is normal.

edit - BTW if you were a jazz fan you would be hating on Kenny G rather than Nickleback. Each genre has its own whipping boy, which in my mind is more support for it indeed being a hivemind thing.

What do you mean by "that much?" What degree of hatred are you talking about? Do you think people on this forum are saying "I hate nickelback!" with phlegmy emphasis on the H-word, then pricking a voodoo doll, then setting fire to a shrine or something?

I think it's important to remember that we're talking about music here. "Hating" a band doesn't require some form of sociopathy, unless you choose to read the word as that.

I hate Nickelback in the same way that I hate mushrooms: I avoid them when I can, I try to smile when I can't, and they both leave a bad taste in my mouth.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#78 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

People who hate bands seem bitter, why not just not listen to them?

Because it's sooo much more gratifying bitching and moaning about them on the internet. :lol:
Posted Image

#79 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

What do you mean by "that much?" What degree of hatred are you talking about? Do you think people on this forum are saying "I hate nickelback!" with phlegmy emphasis on the H-word, then pricking a voodoo doll, then setting fire to a shrine or something?

I think it's important to remember that we're talking about music here. "Hating" a band doesn't require some form of sociopathy, unless you choose to read the word as that.

I hate Nickelback in the same way that I hate mushrooms: I avoid them when I can, I try to smile when I can't, and they both leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I didn't think I could hate you any more, but here we are. :lol:

Posted Image

#80 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Musicians are the "best" to those who enjoy listening to them. To say that mainstream artists are not technically good, and have no soul and style is generalization at it's most severe.

People all have different tastes, and that is awesome. But to knock an artist because they are popular is unfair. I am not a big fan of today's "Pop" music, but I do enjoy Nickelback sometimes. Yes, their "singles" are overplayed but, when you look at a CD or an artist's discography as a whole, it's often the "deep tracks" that stand out and provide the contrast to the singles.

To each, their own, I say. Why must we always bash what we disagree with?

I actually never said that ALL popular musicians don't have talent. I know it probably sounded like I was inplying it. A lot of them are very skilled, and get lots of recognition and fame for it. I was just saying that record sales has doesn't always have much to do with their talent.

Many of my favourite bands have sold millions of records too, and part of it probably was due to marketing. But you can still tell that they have good style. I even admit that Nickelbck has a few songs that are fun to listen once in a while, even if they're generic (Bieber, on the other hand, I'll never listen to XD). I wasn't trying to say ALL popular musicians have no skills, I was trying to make a point that a lot of them don't, so record sales isn't a good argument for skill.

The Leafs have millions of fans and are one of the most popular hockey teams, but they still suck.

Edited by etsen3, 22 August 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#81 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

What do you mean by "that much?" What degree of hatred are you talking about?

I mean for example, some of the negative reaction in this thread to them getting married.

comments like this:
"yet another futile attempt to try and prove his masculinity... unfortunately i will never be turned on by avril lavigne in this world again."

or this

"just the thought of her even touching his greaseball platinum blond hair (or is it brown again?) brings bile to the back of my throat.... kind of like sarah silverman when she started dating jimmy kimmel. its just gross
"

or this

"They can not be allowed to reproduce."

or this

"Can a social worker take their kids away if they practice singing in front of them?"

or this

"I feel violated..."

or this

"God help the world if they have little hooligans kids..."

or this

"DO NOT LET THEM BREED!!!!"

or this

"Make me SICK. Two overated acts, they can have each other. Nickelback makes my ears bleed and I never understood all the fuss about Avril"

or this

"So did she move out here or did Chad leave town? Just wondering cuz I gotta drive through Abby later in the week and was wondering if it would be safe."

and in your case, while you said nothing particularly inflammatory, you still started this thread, and that is your contribution to the hate zeitgeist. I mean, if you hate them that much, then why even create this thread?

edit - and actually the title of this thread contains "there is no god", so there you did say somethign inflammatory.

Edited by butters, 22 August 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#82 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

FIFY

No, Chad CAN do better than Avril.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#83 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

I mean for example, some of the negative reaction in this thread to them getting married.

comments like this:
"yet another futile attempt to try and prove his masculinity... unfortunately i will never be turned on by avril lavigne in this world again."

or this

"just the thought of her even touching his greaseball platinum blond hair (or is it brown again?) brings bile to the back of my throat.... kind of like sarah silverman when she started dating jimmy kimmel. its just gross
"

or this

or this

"Can a social worker take their kids away if they practice singing in front of them?"

or this

"I feel violated..."

or this

or this

or this

"Make me SICK. Two overated acts, they can have each other. Nickelback makes my ears bleed and I never understood all the fuss about Avril"

or this

"So did she move out here or did Chad leave town? Just wondering cuz I gotta drive through Abby later in the week and was wondering if it would be safe."

and in your case, while you said nothing particularly inflammatory, you still started this thread, and that is your contribution to the hate zeitgeist. I mean, if you hate them that much, then why even create this thread?

edit - and actually the title of this thread contains "there is no god", so there you did say somethign inflammatory.

you're spending more time/effort defending nickelback than any of us are doing hating on them.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#84 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

nevermind, i don't even care

Edited by GLASSJAW, 22 August 2012 - 02:30 PM.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#85 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

People hate Nickelback because every damn song they have produce, sounds the same.

30m4j6v.png

#86 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

you're spending more time/effort defending nickelback than any of us are doing hating on them.

I'm not defending Nickleback... I'm hating on haters. I don't like Nickleback's music all that much, but my response is simply not to listen to it. Each to their own.

#87 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

People hate Nickelback because every damn song they have produce, sounds the same.

you can say the same about many many unhated artists.

#88 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

I actually never said that ALL popular musicians don't have talent. I know it probably sounded like I was inplying it. A lot of them are very skilled, and get lots of recognition and fame for it. I was just saying that record sales has doesn't always have much to do with their talent.

Many of my favourite bands have sold millions of records too, and part of it probably was due to marketing. But you can still tell that they have good style. I even admit that Nickelbck has a few songs that are fun to listen once in a while, even if they're generic (Bieber, on the other hand, I'll never listen to XD). I wasn't trying to say ALL popular musicians have no skills, I was trying to make a point that a lot of them don't, so record sales isn't a good argument for skill.

The Leafs have millions of fans and are one of the most popular hockey teams, but they still suck.

My apologies, dude. :)

I just get frustrated at the levels to which certain members of this forum go to prove the opposite of what you're saying. And then, when you get a little stronger in holding your position, they run away... or say you suck... or that your point is wrong... or whatever.

I honestly feel like I am listening to some of the Grade 8 and 9 children at my school when I am on CDC. I guess it is reality that I actually am listening to 13-15 year olds a lot.

Oh, well...

#89 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

comments like this:

or this

"

or this

or this

or this

"I feel violated..."

or this

or this

or this

or this

you're taking people's complaints and reading them literally. why?

do you honestly think the people in this thread don't believe chad kroeger should be allowed to have children? honestly? do you think they hate his music SO MUCH that they question whether Abby is safe because he lives there? I read most of those comments as being jokes. I apologize to anyone who meant them seriously.

twice now you've used the phrase "hate so much" without saying what it means. your last post attempted to, i guess, but all it seemed to suggest was that if someone negatively comments or jokes about nickelback, it's done because they "hate them so much"

at first you were talking about how unhealthy it is to "hate" something, which is true. but we're talking about music, here. the word "hate" should be taken loosely. but you don't do that, you take these comments very literally, which seems bizarre.

but instead of dwelling on how unhealthy it is to hate, you've now focused on the "hate zeitgeist" which just seems even more so.

are people not allowed to make jokes at the expense of nickelback without being unhealthy, hateful people?

...So what? For every "unhated artist" that doesn't get "hated on" for being one dimensional, you can find just as many THAT DO. The difference between these "artists" is that nickelback has achieved such a ridiculous level of success that they're the punchline. They are the band we're all familiar with. They're the band that the conversation is about, so it SEEMS like they get hated more.

I'd just as soon hate on Seether, Theory of a Dead Man, Hinder, or similar bands, but since nobody talks about them, nobody does.

Remember Oasis? They suffered a similar fate.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 22 August 2012 - 03:23 PM.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#90 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,530 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hehe. Stupid Canucks.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.