The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL.com's list of 10 Best Captains in NHL History

What a weird comment...not sure if you're trying to be funny or......either way big fail buddy.

Anyway, in my opinion Yzerman was the best captain all time.  Honorable mentions to Clarke, Stevens, Sakic, Niedermayer, and TL.

Crosby should not be on the list yet.

How in tarnation should Sundin be anywhere near that list, unless you're a delusionsal Leaf Fan. I saw that in the OP too and shook my head. The guy was the epitome of losing. Never went to the finals, never inspired his team, in fact refused to leave when they wanted to trade him when that was the only thing that could have helped them. How does accomplishing nothing in the playoffs and rarely making it there qualify you as a great leader? Unless being on HNIC the most times is a requirement.

Mind = blown.

• 1 month later...

Any Canuck fan would balk at Messier being #1, but even a neutral minded observer couldn't put him above Beliveau (or number of other captains). He was a dominant winner who "accomplished the impossible," but he also managed to polarize an entire dressing room and single-handedly sink an entire team to the basement (non-haters can't argue with that). Beliveau, by contrast, wasn't controversial (in the slightest sense), respected everyone, and won more Cups.

Doan is a great captain, but not top 10 - he hasn't even won a Cup. Even so, Iginla is a better captain than Doan and closer to winning a Cup.

Crosby, well, only time will tell if he can get on this list, but certainly not now.

But for goodness sake, this list passes over many of the all-time greats who are head and shoulders above everyone else. Gretzky (number one), Lemieux, Richard, Armstrong, only to name a few.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, this list is a joke. I mean, Doan is a good captain, but he hasn't won anything yet. It's also incorrect to leave out Gretzky, Richard, Aps, Lemieux, or any of the others to name a few.

Messier frequently gets the #1 billing, but even without the Canuck bias, I would not put him higher than Gretzky, Lemieux, Beliveau or many of the other greats.

Archived