99 replies to this topic

#31 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

A banana is a banana. That's not a poor diet choice whether its organic or not.

You also hype up the possible effects like everything I eat is going to kill me, stop worrying so much and just be happy with the food you have access to

:blink:

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#32 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

It was meant in the sense that we are much better off in terms of food than a lot of the world

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#33 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

I know eh? :picard:
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

It was meant in the sense that we are much better off in terms of food than a lot of the world

A lot of the less developed world actually has better/healthier farming practices than we do. They're just poor...an entirely separate issue.

Edited by J.R., 05 September 2012 - 04:00 PM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

one of the major reasons life expectancy has risen since WW2 is because the average person , ["western countries"] has had better access to fresh fruit and vegetable's

True. You know what else is true? After the Baby Boomers, for the first time in generations, their children are not expected to live as long...
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

This reminds me of a Chris Rock joke, about people who won't eat red meat (not in-organic vegetables, but same principle):

People are starving all over the world, what do you mean, "red meat will kill you"? Don't eat no red meat? No, don't eat no green meat. If you lucky enough to get your hands on a steak, bite the s*** out of it!

Edited by D-Money, 05 September 2012 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image

#37 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Fair enough, but not being happy about food safety is never a bad thing to continue to be demanding. Consumers should always be demanding the safest and healthiest food they can ingest, for all economic statuses in a civilized society.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#38 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Fair enough, but not being happy about food safety is never a bad thing to continue to be demanding. Consumers should always be demanding the safest and healthiest food they can ingest, for all economic statuses in a civilized society.

there's the problem. Organic food costing twice as much as "normal" food isn't going to work for the majority of people

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#39 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

A lot of the less developed world actually has better/healthier farming practices than we do. They're just poor...an entirely separate issue.

not if they can't afford those foods. Everything is tied to money for better or worse

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#40 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

there's the problem. Organic food costing twice as much as "normal" food isn't going to work for the majority of people

And again, that's not factoring in the fulls costs of eating those chemical-ridden (and heavily subsidized) foods. Organic food is not actually any more expensive in real terms
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

not if they can't afford those foods. Everything is tied to money for better or worse

Yet if they CAN afford the food...they eat healthier than you do. Weird eh?
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

And again, that's not factoring in the fulls costs of eating those chemical-ridden (and heavily subsidized) foods. Organic food is not actually any more expensive in real terms

real terms?

Shoppers don't give a **** about those things for the most part. They care about feeding themselves and their children, and 2 normal bananas versus 1 organic one for the same price is real to them

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#43 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yet if they CAN afford the food...they eat healthier than you do. Weird eh?

That is a hypothetical that only happens for the elite in 3rd world countries. Weird eh?

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#44 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

Local organic > local > organic > regular
Moo

#45 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

real terms?

Shoppers don't give a **** about those things for the most part. They care about feeding themselves and their children, and 2 normal bananas versus 1 organic one for the same price is real to them

That's because most people are short-sighted and blindly accept what their government and corporations tell them. I know I'd rather not have my tax dollars subsidizing modern farming and artificially lowering food prices of crap food.

Edited by J.R., 05 September 2012 - 04:16 PM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#46 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

That is a hypothetical that only happens for the elite in 3rd world countries. Weird eh?

Nope, just not the poor. Also works pretty well in vast swaths of Europe with it's much higher food/farming standards.

Edited by J.R., 05 September 2012 - 04:18 PM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

That's because most people are short-sighted and blindly accept what their government and corporations tell them. I know I'd rather not have my tax dollars subsidizing modern farming and artificially lowering food prices of crap food.

So tonight's dinner is short sighted? There are plenty of people having to push through just to feed their kids.

Not everyone has time to go to protests

Nope, just not the poor. Also works pretty well in vast swaths of Europe with it's much higher food/farming standards.

I'm not talking about Europe, though you have to realize that coutries are smaller geographically in Europe making it easier to "eat local" as opposesd to 2 of the biggest countries size wise in Canada and the US.

Africa and parts of Asia were what I was talking about where there is a defined Elite, and then everyone else

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#48 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

So tonight's dinner is short sighted? There are plenty of people having to push through just to feed their kids.

Not everyone has time to go to protests

I'm not talking about Europe, though you have to realize that coutries are smaller geographically in Europe making it easier to "eat local" as opposesd to 2 of the biggest countries size wise in Canada and the US.

Africa and parts of Asia were what I was talking about where there is a defined Elite, and then everyone else

No, you're right. People are just trying to feed their families. That's fair. It's the politicians who are truly shortsighted. People just get caught in the middle. All the more reason to be an educated voter. Heck if we're going to insist on subsidizing farming, why not subsidize organic instead? ;)

Not sure where you're going with the off-tangent geography...?

Edited by J.R., 05 September 2012 - 04:38 PM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,109 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

I don't buy organic too often. Can't justify the price.

However, I started a herb garden this year, with some cherry tomatoes and swiss chard in there too. It's been fantastic. If you have the room, you can't make a better investment food-wise.

For instance, a little pack of chard costs around $3 at Safeway, but the stuff grows like weeds in Calgary. I cut an entire plant off at the stem a few weeks ago, and the thing is now almost 3 feet high. We've had chard for dinner nearly 20 times this summer, and will have it probably another half-dozen times before the season is out. The original plants cost $10. I'm pretty sure they self-germinate too.

The seeds may not have been organic, but there are no pesticides or anything. Straight from the soil to the pan.

Same deal with lettuce. Grows like a weed.

#50 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

Same deal with lettuce. Grows like a weed.

Especially when it was cool and raining in May/June!
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#51 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,109 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

Especially when it was cool and raining in May/June!

You think I could start some new stuff right now?

#52 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

You think I could start some new stuff right now?

My wife's planning on starting some fall lettuce soon, don't see why not.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

True. You know what else is true? After the Baby Boomers, for the first time in generations, their children are not expected to live as long...

yes JR i am aware of this , and as a father to be, it really concerns me .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#54 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Which is exactly why we shouldn't be happy with the food we have access to.....or that poor people can get access to, which was what made your statement so bizarre.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 05 September 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#55 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

yes JR i am aware of this , and as a father to be, it really concerns me .

Congrats, me too! Twins on the way for me!

The only ways to change that trend are educating yourself and "voting" with your wallet if you can afford to, being an educated voter if you can't... or both.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#56 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

The only ways to change that trend are educating yourself and "voting" with your wallet if you can afford to, being an educated voter if you can't... or both.

Hey congrats JR.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#57 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

congratulations again brother , hope everything is going well .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#58 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hey congrats JR.

Merci ;)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#59 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Does anyone know what most pesticides are made out of? I guess google is my friend...but still, haha. Guess I'm lazy.

Edited by Navyblue, 05 September 2012 - 05:08 PM.

Posted Image

#60 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,190 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

The problem with organic pesticides is that some have been proven to be equally dangerous to us as the synthetic ones. (good bye cancer, hello parkinsons?) And you're paying double for that?

The only way to go is pesticide-free, but good luck delivering that to the masses. Pesticides were invented for a reason. I think the organic movement has made us smarter about our food overall, so i'm for it. But you ain't scamming me into buying it, hippies.

This.

Fear sells. I'm not buying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.