The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weise or Volpatti?

mrsasaki

Weise or Volpatti?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really liked what Volpatti was doing before he got hurt. Brought real energy, on a team that was unmotivated at the start of the year our only bright spot was actually our fourth line at that point. We had one of the better fourth lines in the league at that point and time if you can believe it.

I really liked what Volpatti was doing before he got hurt. Brought real energy, on a team that was unmotivated at the start of the year our only bright spot was actually our fourth line at that point. We had one of the better fourth lines in the league at that point and time if you can believe it.

Aaron Volpatti, no question.

For the role we need filled, he fits better. He brings a lot more grit than Weise and is much more willing to play physical. The 4th line was solid when he was in the lineup. When Aaron went out with injury, the revolving door trying to find the right 4th line fit really began, Weise included. Aaron brings an element to the 4th line that we need. He's not going to go out and score 20 goals in a year, but that's not his job. Any offensive production is a bonus. As long as he does his job of working hard, bringing energy, playing physical, dropping the gloves when needed and being strong defensively, then he helps the team. And he did all of those things better and more consistently than any other 4th line option we had last season.

To all those saying they'd rather have Weise. Think about it for a second. Do you want your fourth line to worry about getting scoring chances or having a good forecheck and playing a gritty, aggressive style that might intimidate the opponent? If you ask me I'd rather have the latter, a fourth line which can bang and a guy who can actually win a fight on it, which is why my pick would be Volpatti by a mile.

No more plugs who can barely play, we need every line to be a threat. Torres and Lapps won us 2 games in the finals, we need an entire bottom 6 of players who can score and keep others from scoring. Nobody fights in the playoffs anyway so boxing skills is really not a huge priority so long as they can crash and bang. Weise is a quality 4th liner who can bring what we need.

Well I like Weise...........he's a keeper.............BUT I think it is unfair to judge one against the other.

Volpatti was looking like a reliable 4th line player, good size and a decent fighter, never intimidated. He also put in some huge hits well after Weise decided he was not cut out for the "hitting game" By that I mean it was obvious to me as the season progressed, while Volpatti was hitting everything in sight.......even as we were later told 6 or 7 games after his shoulder was injured (if not the brightest move it showed how dedicated he was to keeping his place in the team) Weise's physical side tapered somewhat.

Who knows how Volpatti would have developed if he had stayed healthy. We certainly could have used his "legal" hard hitting in the season and in the playoffs.

I like both players and I especially liked the way Weise stood up against Horton.

Edit. One complaint I had about Volpatti was he deferred too much to his team mates. He often got into good scoring positions and was ignored for being too quiet imo. He needs to channel his raw aggression into demanding more of the puck when he is taking up these positions...........and guys like Weise and Lapierre need to look up and find him...............Ironically Henrik/Daniel was on the ice for a few seconds and found Volpatti for his only goal if I remember.......but that is just their class showing again.

Archived