The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm calling it - OKC Barons win the '13 Calder Cup

Common sense

I'm just going to spitball the Wolves lineup based on what I know of who was sent down and who is on contract with Wolves:

Haydar - Ebbett - Kassian

Miller - Schroeder - Doell

Gordon - Friesen - Sweatt

Rodin - Mallet - Desbiens

Ex. Tochkin, Archibald

Connauton - Tanev

Joslin - Mullen

Sauve - Polasek

Ex. Schneider, Andersson

Lack

Negrin

Cannata

• 2 weeks later...

All teams have added significant pieces...just because they have a couple more NHL ready, future superstars doesnt necessarily mean they're going to run the table on the league. It's still going to be competitive - just makes them favorites. No clear cut favorites by any means, because the Marlies look pretty good again this year too.

I think the Pirates could push as well - the top four on defense is sick down there, and they've got some solid* looking guys up front.

*solid meaning big and stable, not the slang alternative.

I'm just going to spitball the Wolves lineup based on what I know of who was sent down and who is on contract with Wolves:

Haydar - Ebbett - Kassian

Miller - Schroeder - Doell

Gordon - Friesen - Sweatt

Rodin - Mallet - Desbiens

Ex. Tochkin, Archibald

Connauton - Tanev

Joslin - Mullen

Sauve - Polasek

Ex. Schneider, Andersson

Lack

Negrin

Cannata

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking the Bridgeport Sound Tigers will have quite the season as well. Forgot about this when I initially posted here but as today is the first day of the regular season for the AHL and a number of them did already impress, I thought I'd pop them down as definite candidates to win.

Niederreiter

Hamonic

de Haan

Kabanov

Cizikas

Nelson

Ness

Ullstrom

Wishart

Very solid in both forwards and defencemen

A good team needs a good veteran presence and some grit as well as having skill. It's not just about who has the most top prospects. I like Chicago's balance. They have the right players to win in different ways, whether it be a gritty shutdown game, or a fast paced skill game.

The wolves should do well.

Oh and OKC lost to a much weaker Lake Eerie team tonight. No points for Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle. One point for Schultz, but he was a -2.

So as you can see, it's not like the AHL is an easy league to put up points in. There's good players in this league, especially with the lockout. Sure they have a good roster, but so does every other team.

I'm thinking the Bridgeport Sound Tigers will have quite the season as well. Forgot about this when I initially posted here but as today is the first day of the regular season for the AHL and a number of them did already impress, I thought I'd pop them down as definite candidates to win.

Niederreiter

Hamonic

de Haan

Kabanov

Cizikas

Nelson

Ness

Ullstrom

Wishart

Very solid in both forwards and defencemen

Yea, that's one heck of a roster.

Hamonic with 3 assists tonight, Cizakas with 2 goals, Niedereitter with 3 points, and Kabanov with 2 points.

But even having that much firepower doesn't guarantee wins. They let in 4 goals even with a D containing De Haan, Hamonic, and Wishart. You still need goaltending.

Archived