144 replies to this topic

#91 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

one more jab at the most hated team in the league. the list of non divers in this league is shorter then the diver list

iginla crosby ovechkin big names that go down easy
turco was one of the worst or best depending on how you look at it
the kings won the cup because of there diving skills.

officiating is the biggest cancer in this league

stories that involve the nucks and diving are senseless reading, easy to pick on the kid everyone hates call out the kings for what they did and you'll be duct-taped to the light post.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#92 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

They should have picked a player from the national diving team located in Boston, but it doesn't really matter who the "chief diver" is.

And if they want to stop diving, then give the player a 5 min penalty. 2 of those mins would be PP time, but the other 3 would be 5 on 5 but with that player sitting in the box. Makes a lot more sense than a 4 min PP.

And there are so many other issues they should be dealing with before diving. If this is top of the list, there's no hope for the nhl
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#93 Nosaj

Nosaj

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

Exactly why I don't look too far into this.

Yahoo Sports has some of the better hockey bloggers (not columnists, not reporters) on the web. They also source a lot of their articles from hockey-specific blogs such as PITB.

Posted Image

#94 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

The reason why Vancouver is called out more than any other team is because every fan already hates them anyways. It comes with the territory when you're the league's top team two years in a row.

The truth is every team does have divers and weasels, but if those teams never win, then nobody really cares.

Don't even get me started on Crosby. There's a reason why he's so hated by players around the league. Of course the NHL wouldn't call out their golden boy though.

#95 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Diving has been a key part of Canuck strategy since Mike "thinking outside the box" Gillis showed up and why not? How many diving penalties have the Canucks received since he got here? Not many, right? Now, how many power plays have we received as a result of our guys diving? Only about a zillion. One reason that diving became a palpable strategy for the Canucks was the fact that our power play was lethal and diving simply gave us more PP chances so why wouldn't a team use diving as a strategy. Problem is there are drawbacks like the Burrows/Auger incident which was a direct result of a terrible Burrows dive (which ended up winning the game for us) or the fact that we were diving so much in the finals against Boston that the refs refused to call ANYTHING even when there were legitimate calls to be made. Watch game 6 of the final and tell me how many times Burrows alone dives; I remember losing count after about 10. When five of your team's best players (Kes, Burr, Lou, Hank and Lappy) are all falling all over the place no ref is going to be gullible enough to not see the pattern and you will end up getting no calls (and will find yourself badly out of position on the opposition's goals like Kesler was a couple of times during the LA series). In short diving is an alright strategy during the regular season against less than elite refs but once into the playoffs it becomes a huge albatross around the neck of the team and is actually quite detrimental to the team's game. And please quit whining about the Bruins being "thugs" etc.; last I checked it was US that got a suspension for laying a headshot on a guy that knocked him out (and indeed it was us that had TWO suspensions for headshots in something like 5 playoff games against BOS and LA). In fact the majority of our recent suspensions have been for dirty hits to the head. We can't play tough so we dive and we cheapshot; I for one am glad that Gillis is finally trying to beef this team up.

#96 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Obviously lots of players in the NHL and in all sports for that matter, embellish a lot of things to get calls from refs or umpires. Some are more blatant than others, but some don't do it as often and can get away with it, without looking like a fool. In Keslers case he had been known to embellish some here and there and wasn't really good at doing it in my opinion, but it was the one he did in game 3 of the playoffs against LA that finally had me saying enough is enough this is embarrassing. Now coming from a fans perspective and I find it embarrassing to see a player of Keslers caliber diving like that in a Canucks uniform, how the hell do you think his teammates feel? Probably ashamed to be seeing a so called leader on their team diving all over the place to get calls from the ref. Basically the SWAN DIVE as many people call it, was the pushing limit for me on Keslers antics and I had enough of it and I have lost respect for the guy until he proves me wrong, I just hope this is a wake up call for him to get his act together, because it's sad watching him do it.

This is the one I'm talking about and yes the OP has it up there too. But if you watch it closely, Kesler actually goes out of his way to try and snow shower Quick, before he decides to Swan Dive from a little push, now that's bush league hockey and just pure embarrassment.

Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#97 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

well sometimes the truth hurts....

Kesler is a good player but his effectiveness is decreased when he dives. If just played hockey and did the right things that he is capable of doing he wouldn't be labelled a diver and would be much more effective. I mean why dive? If you want to dive, join a swimming team.
Posted Image

#98 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Obviously lots of players in the NHL and in all sports for that matter, embellish a lot of things to get calls from refs or umpires. Some are more blatant than others, but some don't do it as often and can get away with it, without looking like a fool. In Keslers case he had been known to embellish some here and there and wasn't really good at doing it in my opinion, but it was the one he did in game 3 of the playoffs against LA that finally had me saying enough is enough this is embarrassing. Now coming from a fans perspective and I find it embarrassing to see a player of Keslers caliber diving like that in a Canucks uniform, how the hell do you think his teammates feel? Probably ashamed to be seeing a so called leader on their team diving all over the place to get calls from the ref. Basically the SWAN DIVE as many people call it, was the pushing limit for me on Keslers antics and I had enough of it and I have lost respect for the guy until he proves me wrong, I just hope this is a wake up call for him to get his act together, because it's sad watching him do it.

This is the one I'm talking about and yes the OP has it up there too. But if you watch it closely, Kesler actually goes out of his way to try and snow shower Quick, before he decides to Swan Dive from a little push, now that's bush league hockey and just pure embarrassment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZZ7RjJRRM0

Had to love Willie Mitchell's quote on this: "I know Kes; maybe he slipped on a banana peel...". If the show was on the other foot Gillis would have called a press conference to whine about the reffing.

#99 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

referee objectively - call the play on the merits of the play, regardless of 'reputation' - calling the game by reputation is bs - if a guy dives, call him every time - if a guy doesn't usually dive, call a penalty anyway - deal with the discipline for repeat offenders separately - the last thing the NHL needs is to further empower referees to get even more subjective.

is a guy like Shawn Thornton exempt because he's a drop the gloves, physical player and not the stereotype of a diver?

imo this is about as flagrant as a dive gets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfNUf_XxcFM

how many dives does it take to make the list?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQf3SLkAMg

there are very few players that never embellish

I don't see this list thing as a practical way of handling the problem - yes Kesler's antics pissed me off, particularly this post season after it appeared he might be growing past that crap - but this list nonsense is just going to lead to politicking and a tug of war over who belongs on the list - and NHL officials have a list in their heads anyhow - in the end just call it regardless of reputation - and then review it and discipline it taking repeat offender status into account.

uhhhh that is not a dive by Bieksa ! He was turning and was being grabbed in the left shoulder and just fell that is all.

Edited by vanfan73, 20 September 2012 - 01:57 PM.

2zf729h.jpg

"BiG UP"  to TS for the deadly sig !

#100 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Had to love Willie Mitchell's quote on this: "I know Kes; maybe he slipped on a banana peel...". If the show was on the other foot Gillis would have called a press conference to whine about the reffing.

Seriously go jump on another band wagon dude.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 23 September 2012 - 12:37 PM.
Took out personal attack

2zf729h.jpg

#101 Mcfly

Mcfly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

That's good, he should be ashamed to pull BS like that - especially in the playoffs.

Some folks see it this way, but I don't think it's total BS.

Singling out Kes was pretty unfair. I have a feeling he was being made an example of and then the media twisted it into "Ryan Kesler gets called out" so they can sell news and get attention. Was probably more of an example at the meeting of one that flew under the radar.

Some penalties go uncalled, so what about getting the refs to sort out THAT problem?!
For instance, unless the ref sees a players head jerk back in reaction, there won't be ANY way to tell if a player was high sticked in the nose or punched in the face. (Note Marchand the rat, punching Daniels head in the finals)
So this warrant players "selling" a call to make it clear there was an infraction. Otherwise there's nothing.

How are players supposed to play, when cheap shots and injuries fly under the radar. Look at our superskill players at the end of each season... They'll be playing on broken toes, feet, broken fingers from being slashed. A player causing that kind of injury MIGHT get the game, but the player playing with the injury has to play through it for the rest of the season... Hardly fair.

When the media piranhas come out to feed on Kesler, don't throw him under the bus for doing whatever it took to win.
It's what makes him one of our best Canucks.

Also is everyone forgetting that Kes was playing injured?

#102 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

well sometimes the truth hurts....

Kesler is a good player but his effectiveness is decreased when he dives. If just played hockey and did the right things that he is capable of doing he wouldn't be labelled a diver and would be much more effective. I mean why dive? If you want to dive, join a swimming team.

Natural instinct to draw penalties when you and your wingers are not able to put the biscuit in the basket.

#103 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

I disagree that Kesler is the worst in the league. pretty much all players do it. I remember last year against the Kings, and Kesler got cross checked in the back 4 times with no call. Then went down and the comentators called him a diver. Well maybe if one of the 4 infractions were called he wouldnt have to flop down. Does anyone understand that there are no pads on your back and it wouldnt take much to feel mass pain? Thats why its a penalty. It shouldnt matter if it happens to someone who embellishes. I think that Kesler's injury slowed him down and he had to change his game to adapt. Instead of barelling toward the net and dragging people behind, he didn't have the strength and was easier to take down. People hate us (Canucks and their fans) and they look at us more closely for reasons to hate us more. Comes with the territory. Thats why when people think of divers or floppers Keslers name comes up instead of others. Christ the guy has won the Selke once and was runner up a couple of times as well. If he was a known diver you think that he would even be concidered? IMO last season, with his injury, he went down more often and easier than years previous but not much more than many others. But he is a Canuck and so people want to find reasons to hate us more.

#104 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,023 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

ITT: Homers who think Canucks players can do no wrong.
Posted Image

#105 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hey English Professor, learn how to use the correct version of "you're" before trying to make yourself sound smart.

Thanks man i am sure some one else will chastise me for not putting the A in front EH ?

Edited by vanfan73, 20 September 2012 - 03:55 PM.

2zf729h.jpg

#106 blunttime69

blunttime69

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

If you ain't cheatin you ain't competin

#107 Laoag

Laoag

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

If you ain't cheatin you ain't competin

you suck

#108 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

So,Diving is evil but slashing a player's knees ,back,wrists and ankles are a-ok when the Boston Bruins are playing for the Cup.

Give me a break.Ryan looks silly but he is not a hatchet man butcher Bruin.

This is the nonsense that really irks me.

The NHL Rules Committee should get a freaking clue.

Get rid of it all. Kind of stupid that they chose to start with diving.

#109 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Relax, Kesler's just practicing his new hobby for the lockout.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#110 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

uhhhh that is not a dive by Bieksa ! He was turning and was being grabbed in the left shoulder and just fell that is all.

you may be right vanfan73

:bigblush:

I thought the same thing, but I needed a Bieksa dive to make my point, haha.

That Thornton dive though - forget Kesler everyone - that is as krazy-ass a dive as I've ever scene!

#111 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

As long as I don't see a Canuck two handing an opposition player or hacking him to pieces with a butt end or blade or knee or elbow I can see the entertainment value of diving.

It ain't hurting nobody,which is a lot more noble than a lot of players can stand by.

#112 coolcat13

coolcat13

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

Can't really blame him, we never get any powerplays and the refs dont give us any calls.

wah wah refs blah blah

#113 JesseBlue

JesseBlue

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

shheesh..next thing that will happen is trying to figure out the value of kesler in the trade market....too many zombies being brainwashed...

yes he's a diver but he's OUR diver...

#114 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

Most if not all the people on here are commenting on the diving according to whether they like Kesler or not.

How about be objective about it.

Kesler dives. He has to cut it out. Period.

Is he one of the biggest offenders in the league? Not even close.
Posted Image

#115 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Ah yes, another anti-Canuck article disguised as league-wide anti-diving article. They bring up Kesler, but don't even bother to bring up guys like Marchand and Doughty?

When the media gets their head out of their butts and actually stops singling out the Canucks and looks at the league in general, then we will start to see progress.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#116 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Ah yes, another anti-Canuck article disguised as league-wide anti-diving article. They bring up Kesler, but don't even bother to bring up guys like Marchand and Doughty?

When the media gets their head out of their butts and actually stops singling out the Canucks and looks at the league in general, then we will start to see progress.

it's Dreger - and what's a Leafs fan to do but envy the Canucks and project their frustrations...?

#117 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

its pretty bad when its the russians these days fighting through hooks to score goals and its the americans diving. nhl needs to go to a review like nfl does just because there was no diving call made doesnt mean they didnt dive its a fast game and refs cant see it all almost all hooking penalties should be reviewed for the next few years and fined big time if its determind they dove on the play . kesler after the whistle should be an easy 10 grand fine and should go up by 10 grand every dive after becasue somthing seriously needs to be done or else its no better than soccer. and send the fines somewhere good and not the league the fines should go to the teams main charity . but with big finnancial penalties these guys would stop diving really quick and hockey was better when we could watch bure type players and bertuzzis fight off 3 hooks and score highlite real goals insted of doing snow angels everytime a stick is near you.

#118 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,023 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

its pretty bad when its the russians these days fighting through hooks to score goals and its the americans diving. nhl needs to go to a review like nfl does just because there was no diving call made doesnt mean they didnt dive its a fast game and refs cant see it all almost all hooking penalties should be reviewed for the next few years and fined big time if its determind they dove on the play . kesler after the whistle should be an easy 10 grand fine and should go up by 10 grand every dive after becasue somthing seriously needs to be done or else its no better than soccer. and send the fines somewhere good and not the league the fines should go to the teams main charity . but with big finnancial penalties these guys would stop diving really quick and hockey was better when we could watch bure type players and bertuzzis fight off 3 hooks and score highlite real goals insted of doing snow angels everytime a stick is near you.

Agreed. If I wanted to watch players diving, I would watch soccer.

Watch Jonathan Toews, dude doesn't dive. He takes the hit, gets back up and keeps competing hard. That's what I want to see from Kesler.
Posted Image

#119 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

you may be right vanfan73

:bigblush:

I thought the same thing, but I needed a Bieksa dive to make my point, haha.

That Thornton dive though - forget Kesler everyone - that is as krazy-ass a dive as I've ever scene!

I know right ? Thornton is an Oscar performer along with many others but the Eastern media bias is clearly alive and well . I guess they have to bitch about something during the lockout :bored:

2zf729h.jpg

#120 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

idgaf if he dives unless he gets caught then i'll get pissed, it's a great thing to have a talented diver on our team because powerplays=goals and goals are good. All you old "integrity of the game" freaks should give it up. Just long as he draws more penalties than he takes for diving I fully support Kes and his smart gamesmanship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.