______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#32 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Personally I had major issues with Telus over the years when I was a renter. When I bought I went with Shaw and have never had an issue.

I know people who have Optik and hate it. Internet goes down all the time. If they are using both internet and HD the HD goes choppy and/or the internet speed drops.

As for price, I hear Telus is great in the introductory period but after that they keep raising it. I phoned Shaw a while back and got them to drop my bill to about the same as what I can get with Telus.

Customer service is also a real pain with Telus, once you sign that contract they dont give a crap about you as a customer. Shaw used to be really bad I heard but the last couple times I called I got through within 5 minutes.

As for quality of HD and internet, shaw is far superior IMO.

Personally I will never go to a company that makes you sign a contract.

Telus does NOT have contracts. They have optional service agreements that negate your equipment rental charges and qualify you for a free gift (like a laptop or tablet, etc). You do not have to sign up for this.

The price difference between Telus and Shaw is negligible, especially after the 6 month promos that both companies offer. Some of the main differences in Telus' favour:

- Home phones (landlines) are still copper-based: they will still work when the power is out. Shaw uses VOIP. No power, no phone.

- Telus' high speed and Optik internet are dedicated lines. You do not share your connection with anyone. With Shaw, you sure do (hence, the unstable speeds that many people in this very thread have reported).

- Huge emphasis on customer service within the past few years for Telus. They are very aware that they used to suck in that regard and they have made a lot of changes to improve.

- Optik TV offers a greater degree of customization than Shaw's packages.

I'm also not sure why you think Shaw's HD and internet are superior, there is virtually no difference in the HD, and at least with Telus internet you have a dedicated connection that won't slow down during peak usage hours.

#33 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Telus does NOT have contracts. They have optional service agreements that negate your equipment rental charges and qualify you for a free gift (like a laptop or tablet, etc). You do not have to sign up for this.

The price difference between Telus and Shaw is negligible, especially after the 6 month promos that both companies offer. Some of the main differences in Telus' favour:

- Home phones (landlines) are still copper-based: they will still work when the power is out. Shaw uses VOIP. No power, no phone.

- Telus' high speed and Optik internet are dedicated lines. You do not share your connection with anyone. With Shaw, you sure do (hence, the unstable speeds that many people in this very thread have reported).

- Huge emphasis on customer service within the past few years for Telus. They are very aware that they used to suck in that regard and they have made a lot of changes to improve.

I'm also not sure why you think Shaw's HD and internet are superior, there is virtually no difference in the HD, and at least with Telus internet you have a dedicated connection that won't slow down during peak usage hours.

I have Shaw home phone and it works fine when the power goes out. My internet is just as good during peak hours as it is during any other time. Telus customer service still has a long way to go before it is at least decent, they can start by hiring more people that can speak and understand English fluently. Everytime they call to try to get me to switch I can barely understand a word they say. They are also extremely rude and pushy, maybe you don't need to sign a contract, but I was told by customer service that I would have to sign a contract when I inquired.

As for why I think the HD and internet is better with Shaw, its from personal experience and from what friends have told me and from what I have seen.

Internet with telus is not "retarded". Have fun with your inferior Internet while I have amazing upload and download speeds. Also, I have 4 televisions all with Optik T.V and have not had a single problem in the 2 years I have had it.

LOL! Your Telus crush is something else. No one gives a F about your amazing speeds. Optik TV is not as good as Shaws, just accept it.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 21 September 2012 - 05:25 PM.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#34 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

I have Shaw home phone and it works fine when the power goes out. My internet is just as good during peak hours as it is during any other time. Telus customer service still has a long way to go before it is at least decent, they can start by hiring more people that can speak and understand English fluently. Everytime they call to try to get me to switch I can barely understand a word they say. They are also extremely rude and pushy, maybe you don't need to sign a contract, but I was told by customer service that I would have to sign a contract when I inquired.

As for why I think the HD and internet is better with Shaw, its from personal experience and from what friends have told me and from what I have seen.

LOL! Your Telus crush is something else. No one gives a F about your amazing speeds. Optik TV is not as good as Shaws, just accept it.

LOL!!!! Because amazing Internet speeds with Telus has nothing to do with Telus Internet or Shaw Internet!!!!!!! Good one!!! Feel good about yourself on that one buddy! No one gives an F about what your friends told you! Just accept what? That you blind yourself to using an inferior company because you had a couple bad experiences? Telus > Shaw. Just accept it.

#35 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

Sincerely,

A Telus employee

Fixed. :picard:

#36 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Shaw is pretty inconsistent with the internet speeds and there tv packages are a lot more expensive. Rightnow with shaw I don't even get the basic channels you would with basic cable that's why the switch to telus was made. Get all the regular channels and get plenty more and save money. It seems like some people have Boners for both companys please tuck them away didn't make this thread for biased people.
GO Canucks GO

#37 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

LOL!!!! Because amazing Internet speeds with Telus has nothing to do with Telus Internet or Shaw Internet!!!!!!! Good one!!! Feel good about yourself on that one buddy! No one gives an F about what your friends told you! Just accept what? That you blind yourself to using an inferior company because you had a couple bad experiences? Telus > Shaw. Just accept it.

25 mbps dl, 2mbps upload for 35 bucks a month. Come at me.

Btw, I'm sure lots of people like seeing these with telus, right? LOL

We are writing to inform you that TELUS has received a complaint that alleges that your TELUS Internet Service account has been involved in copyright infringement. This complaint was traced back to your account based on the IP address used at the time of this activity.

Please note that TELUS has not provided any of your personal account information to the complainant. It is TELUS' policy to disclose such information to a complainant only if ordered to do so by a court of law, which has not happened to date.

We do, however, want you to be aware that this complaint was received by us and offer you the following information that may be of help to you:

If you are unaware of this type of activity originating from your account, you may wish to inquire with others who have access to your account.

If you are using a dial-up account, change the account password to ensure that only authorized users have access to it.

You may also want to check your system for viruses, which may explain why this sort of activity is originating from your account.

If the ADSL modem is connected to a wireless router, please make sure that only your authorized computers can connect to it and access the internet. For help in securing the wireless router, please contact the router vendor.

If you are not aware of our Acceptable Use Policy, which strictly prohibits use of our Service to infringe the copyrights of others, you may review at http://www.mytelus.c...ernet/nv/aup.do. Please be aware that violation of this policy could result in disconnection of your Service.

Below is an excerpt from the complaint that we received regarding your account. We include it in this notice in an effort to help you identify the activity that is in question.

Posted Image
^ Btw, that's with Bittorrent on downloading a movie.

Edited by Hyzer, 21 September 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#38 BoggyDepot

BoggyDepot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

I've used both, back and forth over the years. Shaw is better.

Unstable Cable internet was a relevant problem 10-12 years ago for sure, and Telus was definitely more consistent. However over the years and especially now, it is not at all a problem anymore. In terms of speed Shaw has always been faster as well. As for Telus Optik I haven't personally had in my home however I have friends/family who use it and they hate it, as do I when I'm using it at their place.

Edited by BoggyDepot, 21 September 2012 - 11:11 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------

#39 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

i would never use telus internet especially with optik since its shared with every tv and computer you have so with 3 tvs and 3 computers in my house the internet was extremely slow so i actually put shaw into my room

the tv doesn't matter to me the menu is better for telus but can be slow at times they have some channels i like that shaw doesn't but there are channels on shaw i have they don't

also for what i get compared to my mom's internet and tv package it seems like i pay less after the specials and i even have 50mbs i know people will say it is shared with everyone around me but i notice no slow down in speed ever

#40 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

Telus is the worst ISP in Canada. I'm not even exaggerating one bit. Telus locks you into contracts which you have to pay to get out of should you wish to cancel Telus DSL service. Telus's speeds are horrendous. Their fastest service is 25mbps plan. Shaw on the other hand has 200mbps speeds.

If you want to get ripped off then feel free to sign up with Telus. There's a reason why most people in the know crowd are with Shaw

#41 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

I've used both, back and forth over the years. Shaw is better.

Unstable Cable internet was a relevant problem 10-12 years ago for sure, and Telus was definitely more consistent. However over the years and especially now, it is not at all a problem anymore. In terms of speed Shaw has always been faster as well. As for Telus Optik I haven't personally had in my home however I have friends/family who use it and they hate it, as do I when I'm using it at their place.

Am not even sure if that Telus optik is really 720p HD. It just seems like it is less and it has lots of artifacts. The fact that TV and internet are shared is probably the reason why the HD isn't as good as shaw. Shaw at least provides separate lines for TV and internet.

Posted Image

#42 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Shaw is pretty inconsistent with the internet speeds and there tv packages are a lot more expensive. Rightnow with shaw I don't even get the basic channels you would with basic cable that's why the switch to telus was made. Get all the regular channels and get plenty more and save money. It seems like some people have Boners for both companys please tuck them away didn't make this thread for biased people.

I don't understand? So you don't get any channels? I have basic channels and have the basic package.

Posted Image

#43 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Telus has gotten much better over the last 3 or so years. Their technology, speed, and quality hasn't quite gotten to what Shaw is right now, but it's pretty damn close. Customer service has been vastly improved and from my experience being with both companies, TELUS IS CHEAPER.

Maybe that's just because my family has been with them since the days of BC Tel, but they are much cheaper than Shaw, however, you do sacrifice some quality. Optik TV tends to be a little laggy in terms of going through the TV Guide, and switching between channels, but other than that, the HD is there and is working properly. (They really need to improve the controller, it's quite unresponsive).

Another con is location. A lot of the time, your location determines the quality of service. Luckily, I'm a 10 minute walk away from one of their towers. I hear of people in Richmond who JUST got Optik TV as an option.

Internet is fine, it's stable and fast. And plus, I don't mind contracts so that's also why I stay with Telus.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan, 22 September 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#44 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Telus has gotten much better over the last 3 or so years. Their technology, speed, and quality hasn't quite gotten to what Shaw is right now, but it's pretty damn close. Customer service has been vastly improved and from my experience being with both companies, TELUS IS CHEAPER.

Maybe that's just because my family has been with them since the days of BC Tel, but they are much cheaper than Shaw, however, you do sacrifice some quality. Optik TV tends to be a little laggy in terms of going through the TV Guide, and switching between channels, but other than that, the HD is there and is working properly. (They really need to improve the controller, it's quite unresponsive).

Another con is location. A lot of the time, your location determines the quality of service. Luckily, I'm a 10 minute walk away from one of their towers. I hear of people in Richmond who JUST got Optik TV as an option.

Internet is fine, it's stable and fast. And plus, I don't mind contracts so that's also why I stay with Telus.

I doubt their HD will ever reach the quality of shaw's HD just because shaw uses separate cables for their internet and TV. Maybe they could really improve it by offering separate portals for HD TV and internet because sharing those connections will always end in lower quality especially if there are multiple TVs, computers, tablets and phones sharing that connection.

Posted Image

#45 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

You are obviously delusional by calling Shaw an inferior company. I speak from experience and from what I have seen from Telus. The quality is just not as good as Shaw right now. My internet speeds are exactly what I pay for. They don't go down during peak hours. Your arguement is invalid, lol.

As stated your crush on Telus is sand and kinda disturbing.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#46 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

Ill agree with this, except for the much cheaper part. Shaw (and I'm sure Telus) is usually willing to try and match prices. I called Shaw a couple months back saying my bill was to high and I wanted to see what they could offer me. My bill now for home phone, internet, and HD cable is cheaper than what Telus will offer.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#47 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

Ill agree with this, except for the much cheaper part. Shaw (and I'm sure Telus) is usually willing to try and match prices. I called Shaw a couple months back saying my bill was to high and I wanted to see what they could offer me. My bill now for home phone, internet, and HD cable is cheaper than what Telus will offer.

Not for me, Shaw never decreased their prices for me, that's why I left them. Instead, they kept increasing.

Again, my family has been with Telus since the days of BC Tel, we've gotten quite a lot of discounts from them. So maybe it's just way cheaper for me. And the HD isn't THAT bad, it's pixelated here and there, but I'm not one to complain about a few pixels I can see. It's the laggy interface that I wish they would improve a bit.

#48 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

Fixed. :picard:

Well, now I really am convinced that people love to overuse the facepalm emoticon. Know something about something and it's facepalm worthy. Good to know. You can look at my past posts if you want, but I'm actually an English teacher. Thanks for your brilliant insights, though.

#49 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

people saying Telus HD dosent look good compared to shaw is wrong I find it looks very good and I dont see a downgrade in the picture quality at all. Internet is pretty good also for having 3 TVs set up only problem I have noticed is that im now on wireless connection which make my EASHL guy a little less responsive then what im use to on wired connection as the modem had to be upstairs.
GO Canucks GO

#50 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

My Optik cuts out all the time, it is really annoying. It could just be a router problem but I'm not sure. However, when it does work it is brilliant, the HD is great and the internet is fast. I also got a free Xbox when I signed up :)

Finally got a new router and now my internet works fine.
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#51 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

I currently have Telus and it is by far the worst service I have ever used. I have had every device replaced at least once and I still experience problems on a daily basis. Switching to Shaw at the end of the month myself.
Posted Image

#52 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

man, am I glad I don't have to deal with this crap, lol.

The minute my condo was wired for Novus' fibre-optic service, I promptly switched over from Shaw. Shaw wasn't bad, in fact their service was quite good. The only difference is that I pay half the price with Novus to have better speeds.

Posted Image

I pay what around 40 bucks a month for that and a TV package together, lol. I pay for 25mbps down and 10 up, and I get better than I pay for.

Edited by Jai604, 16 October 2012 - 04:39 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#53 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,456 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

Biggest factor for me is Shaw is THE best service company I have ever dealt with, bar none, and they have a local office I can drive to in 5 minutes and pound on a desk .. Telus? .. after waiting for 45 minutes, and weaving thru a telephone maze, I am connected to a person who barely speaks English and thinks BC means "before Christ" ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#54 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

telus [phone wire connection] vs. shaw [coax cable connection]. yea i'll stick with the coax thank you.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#55 moz

moz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Biggest factor for me is Shaw is THE best service company I have ever dealt with, bar none, and they have a local office I can drive to in 5 minutes and pound on a desk .. Telus? .. after waiting for 45 minutes, and weaving thru a telephone maze, I am connected to a person who barely speaks English and thinks BC means "before Christ" ..

Tell me about it, I absolutely detest having to call up Telus, they just bug me! I've had nice people maybe twice, other than that I get cut off and lied to. When I had the service set up the guy turned up 4 hours late and he phoned me to tell me he was outside, I answered the phone and he actually said "Yo! it's Telus!". Needless to say I wasn't impressed.

That aside the stuff works, I've found the internet to be fast and good. The pvr messed up when I was on vacation though, but meh, what can you do?

I'm not on a contract and if anything else goes wrong I wouldn't hesitate to switch.

28itc1w.jpg

#56 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

I'm waiting for OPTIK to be available in my area. SHAW wasn't gonna give me any deals/discounts to stay with them. I only have 1 TV and internet. Too much TV rots the brain anyways. So I should be OK with the OPTIK as long as I can get a better deal. Free stuff is free stuff. I'll probably be stuck with them for 3yrs but its OK. Short term pain for long term gain. After the 3yr is up...I'll switch to SHAW for a better deal. I'll keep flip-flopping for the best deals.

#57 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Personally I had major issues with Telus over the years when I was a renter. When I bought I went with Shaw and have never had an issue.

I know people who have Optik and hate it. Internet goes down all the time. If they are using both internet and HD the HD goes choppy and/or the internet speed drops.

As for price, I hear Telus is great in the introductory period but after that they keep raising it. I phoned Shaw a while back and got them to drop my bill to about the same as what I can get with Telus.

Customer service is also a real pain with Telus, once you sign that contract they dont give a crap about you as a customer. Shaw used to be really bad I heard but the last couple times I called I got through within 5 minutes.

As for quality of HD and internet, shaw is far superior IMO.

Personally I will never go to a company that makes you sign a contract.

See ive had the totally opposite experience as you.. Everything you listed pretty much is what happens to me with Shaw. I only stay with Shaw because of not needing a contract.

This thread comes up every couple months.. You have your shaw users whom live and die by them and vice-versa for telus. My advice don't bother with anyone's advice..try it out for yourself.

#58 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,452 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

I'm with Teksavvy in Toronto now, but if I was to move back to Vancouver, I'd re-up on Shaw for sure. The speeds are just so much better.
Moo

#59 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

The service level and the product quality is relatively the same. And both companies are screwing you equally. I recommend going with the one that will give you the most toys at the start, to soften the blow of them screwing you more and more over time. If you have a big problem with contracts, well, suck it up and play minecraft on your free tablet, sweetheart.
Posted Image

#60 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

I own a few businesses and have at home, shaw. I used to use telus, they were twice the cost. Half the service. Zero support, and overall douchebags.

Telus has been ???? western Canada for years and I for one am glad shaw is ???? them around by offering phone services. Whoever said telus is cheaper is lying, and their service is nowhere NEAR the same. Its not even close, and before you praise one or the other if you havnt used them both then stfu.

http://www.telus.com/content/bundles/
Yup, l hardly cheaper. Ridiculous pricing.....
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.