The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ABC News Tracks Missing iPad To Florida Home of TSA Officer

Grapefruits

You do realize things can be sold for money right? An IPad is as good as $300, which could be used to buy food or pay a mortgage. Sure, maybe this guy is just a dick and wanted an IPad. All I'm saying is you don't know his situation.

Sure he owns a home that looks pretty decent, but it doesn't mean he can't be desperate too.

My point about society is that the bigger the gap becomes between rich and poor, the more stuff you're going to see like this. This may not be the best example of it, because like I said we don't know this guy's situation. But the sad reality is, there are alot of people hurting in the US right now that are only going to get more desperate as things start to get worse.

I cannot believe there are people in this thread actually defending the thief!

Stealing is a crime. He should be prosecuted, let alone fired.

Honestly, give your head a shake if you believe this idiot should keep his job.

What's the point of having bonded employees if you don't fire thieves in their midst.

First of all, I would never buy an IPad because they're a complete waste of money.

Second of all, I've had valuables stolen from me, and of course it sucks. But at the same time I realized that I have the means to replace those things, whereas the person who stole them from me probably needed those things way more. After all, they had to have been pretty desperate to do something like that in the first place.

The reality is, unless someone's a cleptomaniac or needs money for drugs, nobody wants to steal. Most thefts are done out of desperation to get money to live. The sad reality is, even someone working for the TSA gets paid so little that they have to resort to stealing. It's actually a sad reflection of society today really.

You do realize things can be sold for money right? An IPad is as good as $300, which could be used to buy food or pay a mortgage. Sure, maybe this guy is just a dick and wanted an IPad. All I'm saying is you don't know his situation.

Sure he owns a home that looks pretty decent, but it doesn't mean he can't be desperate too.

My point about society is that the bigger the gap becomes between rich and poor, the more stuff you're going to see like this. This may not be the best example of it, because like I said we don't know this guy's situation. But the sad reality is, there are alot of people hurting in the US right now that are only going to get more desperate as things start to get worse.

First of all, I would never buy an IPad because they're a complete waste of money.

Second of all, I've had valuables stolen from me, and of course it sucks. But at the same time I realized that I have the means to replace those things, whereas the person who stole them from me probably needed those things way more. After all, they had to have been pretty desperate to do something like that in the first place.

The reality is, unless someone's a cleptomaniac or needs money for drugs, nobody wants to steal. Most thefts are done out of desperation to get money to live. The sad reality is, even someone working for the TSA gets paid so little that they have to resort to stealing. It's actually a sad reflection of society today really.

I tend to agree. Obviously I don't agree with stealing, but at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad for someone who loses their $500 Ipad (or whatever they cost).

The guy could have been stealing it for his kid as a present for all we know. And now he's out of a job and could potentially be out on the street.

You can argue, well he should have thought about that before stealing. But I'm in the mindset that everyone makes mistakes and should be given a second chance. They could have done it privately, and it would have given him the same wakeup call without him losing his job.

In an industry of Policing, Security, Surveillance or Investigations, once you fail on a test of integrity, it is not something that you can rebuild. The value of an item (in this case, the iPad) is irrelevant. Not only will this man be fired for cause, he will likely have a very tough time finding a job with any sort of authority, and for good reason.

Stealing is wrong, but under these circumstances ABC actually benefited from the theft, they got their story, and this TSA officer lost his job. So I would agree its a good thing he got caught and won't be stealing from the public, no problem there. However, this reflects very poorly on ABC, someone helped them run a great story, and they punish him for it. They could have easily blurred his face. He even returned the iPad, so they lose nothing, and get exactly what they want. Last time I checked you actually need to harm someone in order to have done something wrong, so I would ask, how has Ramirez harmed ABC? He may very well have harmed others, who he may have stolen from, and that would be very wrong, but the news clip doesn't even mention that possibility, nor has any evidence been presented that would support that.

I do find it interesting people judge this Ramirez based on his nice house. That was his house right? We got to see the legal documentation that he owns it, right? For all we know he rents a room in the house and can't afford anything else, or he could own the whole block, we simply don't know. We do know ABC referred to it as his home, that doesn't qualify as a legal deed in my books.

Stealing is wrong, but under these circumstances ABC actually benefited from the theft, they got their story, and this TSA officer lost his job. So I would agree its a good thing he got caught and won't be stealing from the public, no problem there. However, this reflects very poorly on ABC, someone helped them run a great story, and they punish him for it. They could have easily blurred his face. He even returned the iPad, so they lose nothing, and get exactly what they want. Last time I checked you actually need to harm someone in order to have done something wrong, so I would ask, how has Ramirez harmed ABC? He may very well have harmed others, who he may have stolen from, and that would be very wrong, but the news clip doesn't even mention that possibility, nor has any evidence been presented that would support that.

I do find it interesting people judge this Ramirez based on his nice house. That was his house right? We got to see the legal documentation that he owns it, right? For all we know he rents a room in the house and can't afford anything else, or he could own the whole block, we simply don't know. We do know ABC referred to it as his home, that doesn't qualify as a legal deed in my books.

I tend to agree. Obviously I don't agree with stealing, but at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad for someone who loses their $500 Ipad (or whatever they cost).

The guy could have been stealing it for his kid as a present for all we know. And now he's out of a job and could potentially be out on the street.

You can argue, well he should have thought about that before stealing. But I'm in the mindset that everyone makes mistakes and should be given a second chance. They could have done it privately, and it would have given him the same wakeup call without him losing his job.

Ethics. A LOT of students now have ipads, instead of books. If you still that from them, you have just ruined their school year. They can't afford to buy another one. Same goes with their laptop. Just because someone has something nice, does not make them rich.

I saw a guy at tinsletown mall near stadium try to steal a girls laptop, the cops got to him right away(he was really dumb, there were cops in the Starbucks getting coffee when he did it) when questioned after he was arrested he said something like 'she's rich she doesn't need it". Except she was a student, and wasn't rich.

He deserved to be fired. I'd be less mad if he stole from Apple it self, then to take from what is a hard working individual.

Archived