41 replies to this topic

#31 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

First of all, I would never buy an IPad because they're a complete waste of money.

Second of all, I've had valuables stolen from me, and of course it sucks. But at the same time I realized that I have the means to replace those things, whereas the person who stole them from me probably needed those things way more. After all, they had to have been pretty desperate to do something like that in the first place.

The reality is, unless someone's a cleptomaniac or needs money for drugs, nobody wants to steal. Most thefts are done out of desperation to get money to live. The sad reality is, even someone working for the TSA gets paid so little that they have to resort to stealing. It's actually a sad reflection of society today really.

Could you give me your home address please? Am really desperate and need to feed my family and it seems you are okay with me stealing all your valuables.

Posted Image

#32 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Never liked the TSA - this just takes the cake.

/=S=/

#33 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Stealing is wrong, but under these circumstances ABC actually benefited from the theft, they got their story, and this TSA officer lost his job. So I would agree its a good thing he got caught and won't be stealing from the public, no problem there. However, this reflects very poorly on ABC, someone helped them run a great story, and they punish him for it. They could have easily blurred his face. He even returned the iPad, so they lose nothing, and get exactly what they want. Last time I checked you actually need to harm someone in order to have done something wrong, so I would ask, how has Ramirez harmed ABC? He may very well have harmed others, who he may have stolen from, and that would be very wrong, but the news clip doesn't even mention that possibility, nor has any evidence been presented that would support that.

I do find it interesting people judge this Ramirez based on his nice house. That was his house right? We got to see the legal documentation that he owns it, right? For all we know he rents a room in the house and can't afford anything else, or he could own the whole block, we simply don't know. We do know ABC referred to it as his home, that doesn't qualify as a legal deed in my books.
Posted Image

#34 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

Stealing is wrong, but under these circumstances ABC actually benefited from the theft, they got their story, and this TSA officer lost his job. So I would agree its a good thing he got caught and won't be stealing from the public, no problem there. However, this reflects very poorly on ABC, someone helped them run a great story, and they punish him for it. They could have easily blurred his face. He even returned the iPad, so they lose nothing, and get exactly what they want. Last time I checked you actually need to harm someone in order to have done something wrong, so I would ask, how has Ramirez harmed ABC? He may very well have harmed others, who he may have stolen from, and that would be very wrong, but the news clip doesn't even mention that possibility, nor has any evidence been presented that would support that.

I do find it interesting people judge this Ramirez based on his nice house. That was his house right? We got to see the legal documentation that he owns it, right? For all we know he rents a room in the house and can't afford anything else, or he could own the whole block, we simply don't know. We do know ABC referred to it as his home, that doesn't qualify as a legal deed in my books.

If he can't afford anything else, he shouldn't be stealing other people's property knowing most Americans can't actually afford any 'luxury' goods (unless we're talking about using credit).

I have zero sympathy for him and I'm glad that ABC benefited from this story. They risked their Ipads out and it took one dishonest employee to make them profit.

The guy gave back the Ipad because there was so much evidence against him that he had no choice. He lied right in front of his house and the look on his face when he gave it back was not sincere; it was out of embarrassment. The Ipad was beeping from his home and Florida police was right at his door. I suppose he could continue his lie but would risk having his entire house searched.

He deserves to lose his job. His job is not some minimum wage job - it's a Federal job.

Using your logic, anyone who works min. wage has license to steal stuff since they are making less than other people and are therefore entitled to compensation? Give your head a shake. Nobody should be stealing anything, regardless if they are poor or not. Being poor allows you to be poor morally?

Think of it this way: if you were poor, and you stole from a poor person, what happens to that second person? In terms of justice, that second person should steal something back from the first one. But that probably won't be the case. In essence, honest people get punished, under your universe and "poor people" are morally justified to steal due to their supposedly poor lifestyle. P.S. His house is A LOT better than many Americans' houses.

Cry me a river.

Edited by Dazzle, 28 September 2012 - 07:44 PM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#35 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

If this jack a$$ is willing to risk his job for an ipad what would he be willing to do for a couple of million $. What a moron. Good to hear this dirt bag lost his job.

Thief.

#36 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:30 AM

First of all, I would never buy an IPad because they're a complete waste of money.

Second of all, I've had valuables stolen from me, and of course it sucks. But at the same time I realized that I have the means to replace those things, whereas the person who stole them from me probably needed those things way more. After all, they had to have been pretty desperate to do something like that in the first place.

The reality is, unless someone's a cleptomaniac or needs money for drugs, nobody wants to steal. Most thefts are done out of desperation to get money to live. The sad reality is, even someone working for the TSA gets paid so little that they have to resort to stealing. It's actually a sad reflection of society today really.

I'd argue most theft happens because of opportunity and not desperation. That doesn't discount or discredit desperation but most of the time it's because of opportunity...including this case.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Mr. Ramirez stole the $600 iPad from the ABC crew. So he actually did try to harm ABC, by costing them $600.

Posted Image

#38 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

I tend to agree. Obviously I don't agree with stealing, but at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad for someone who loses their $500 Ipad (or whatever they cost).

The guy could have been stealing it for his kid as a present for all we know. And now he's out of a job and could potentially be out on the street.

You can argue, well he should have thought about that before stealing. But I'm in the mindset that everyone makes mistakes and should be given a second chance. They could have done it privately, and it would have given him the same wakeup call without him losing his job.

Ethics. A LOT of students now have ipads, instead of books. If you still that from them, you have just ruined their school year. They can't afford to buy another one. Same goes with their laptop. Just because someone has something nice, does not make them rich.

I saw a guy at tinsletown mall near stadium try to steal a girls laptop, the cops got to him right away(he was really dumb, there were cops in the Starbucks getting coffee when he did it) when questioned after he was arrested he said something like 'she's rich she doesn't need it". Except she was a student, and wasn't rich.

He deserved to be fired. I'd be less mad if he stole from Apple it self, then to take from what is a hard working individual.

#39 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

What a world we live in,:picard:
Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

#40 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Ethics. A LOT of students now have ipads, instead of books. If you still that from them, you have just ruined their school year. They can't afford to buy another one. Same goes with their laptop. Just because someone has something nice, does not make them rich.

I saw a guy at tinsletown mall near stadium try to steal a girls laptop, the cops got to him right away(he was really dumb, there were cops in the Starbucks getting coffee when he did it) when questioned after he was arrested he said something like 'she's rich she doesn't need it". Except she was a student, and wasn't rich.

He deserved to be fired. I'd be less mad if he stole from Apple it self, then to take from what is a hard working individual.

It is kind of sad that there are people here with lack of morals and ethics and actually try to find reasons to justify the means. As I mentioned previously, the ends don't justify the means. Anyone thinking that there are good reasons for stealing are probably thieves themselves.

Posted Image

#41 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

He only returned the iPad when he know he was caught. Doesn't absolve him from stealing it originally. Who cares about his situation either, doesn't matter if his kids are hungry or he is only renting a room. He put himself in that situation and it doesn't give him or anybody the right to steal there way out of it.

It is kind of sad that there are people here with lack of morals and ethics and actually try to find reasons to justify the means. As I mentioned previously, the ends don't justify the means. Anyone thinking that there are good reasons for stealing are probably thieves themselves.

It happens all the time these days. From stealing music and movies online to bigger things. More and more people seem to think if they can't afford it they somehow have the right to go out and steal it.

It really comes down to morals and values, something a lot of parents seem to forget to teach their kids nowadays.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 29 September 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#42 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

On CTV tonight, there is a story on TSA, which said the agency is a farce. That they did not catch 1 single terrorist. or stop any terrorist incidents. That they missed thousands of security breeches like a woman accidently bringing a gun aboard a plane.

In fact, they caught 400 TSA agents for misconduct like stealing.

So, they summed up the story this way: You got more to fear from TSA agents than terrorists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.