#1 Salter

Salter

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

POPULAR

First of all, I'll let you know that I am 15 and turn 16 in a few months (would obviously wait for 16).
My dad passed away when I was 8 and I've always wanted to get something like this in memory of him.
I was looking though my old baby stuff and saw this birthday card. It is from my first birthday.

Posted Image

I wanted to get a small/medium sized truck somewhere and underneath have "Love Dad" written, but what he wrote on the card pretty much just enlarged and tattoo'd on me.

It's kind of a personal thing but I just want to have people opinions. It's not just a dumb impulse tattoo like a lot of people get, but its something with a personal connection. I was thinking somewhere on my chest, or a pec or something. I'll listen in on what you all have to say but obviously in a few months it will come down to what I think will be best. Thanks!

P.S.
I know it will hurt, but any clue how bad? haha (it would be worth the pain in my opinion)

**EDIT
I would only have the "Love Dad" written. But it would have the "Love Dad" he wrote on the card enlarged and on me

Edited by Salter, 05 October 2012 - 04:51 PM.

fD9sila.jpg

#2 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,277 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

I always caution 'young' people to avoid getting tattoos - as they will likely regret them.

But - in this case, you won't.

Personally - ask the artist to add his own touch when it comes to cursive or a 'surrounding' part of the piece.

I have my entire calf covered - it didn't hurt per say, but it was uncomfortable for the entire time.
Posted Image

#3 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Thats a great idea, man! I lost my mom a few years ago to MS, so not long after I got an MS ribbon tattoo on my forearm with her initials and dates. I found that getting ink done can be a little theraputic.

And yah, it hurts but it's not intolerable. I find that it kinda goes numb after a little bit.
Posted Image

#4 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

The tattoo obviously has meaning for you so I say do it!

Make sure you go to a reputable artist, my advice is to check out a few of them and take a look at their work.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#5 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

I like tattoos that have meaning. I got our family crest tattooed on my shoulder after my dad passed away. Barbed wire & chinese symbols if your not asian make me shake my head

#6 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

I got one in memory of my dad as well earlier this year. It's just part of his name on the back of my shoulder. You're probably not getting it in the same place but I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't think it hurt much at all. You know how sometimes you want to write a note to yourself on your hand and the ink won't come out but you press a little harder anyway? That's essentially what I thought it felt like. It stung a bit but nothing too bad. Then again I guess everyone's experiences are different. I guess the best is to prepare for the worst and you'll be pleasantly surprised =)

#7 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Before inking my tattoos I waited a year between the idea of what and where I wanted it. If you feel the same way about it today as a year from now than you probably won't regret it.

Also keep in mind that visible tattoos can be a make or break for some jobs. Sure its cool in junior high or whatever grade school you are in but you may never get that dream job because you visually appear out of character for the company or business.

I'm not saying don't get it but just keep that in mind. Also check this site out.

http://failblog.chee.../ugliesttattoos
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#8 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Before inking my tattoos I waited a year between the idea of what and where I wanted it. If you feel the same way about it today as a year from now than you probably won't regret it.

Also keep in mind that visible tattoos can be a make or break for some jobs. Sure its cool in junior high or whatever grade school you are in but you may never get that dream job because you visually appear out of character for the company or business.

I'm not saying don't get it but just keep that in mind. Also check this site out.

http://failblog.chee.../ugliesttattoos

some of those were actually pretty good

#9 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Wait until you're 18. Regardless of how much it means to you personally, wait until you're 18. You might even think of a better tribute before then.

#10 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

some of those were actually pretty good

Who wouldn't want ET with MJ!Sign me up Capitain!!

Edited by Mountain Man, 05 October 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#11 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

What about like, a garage falling over/apart, years neglected, but parked inside it is a truck with a bow on it.

#12 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Who wouldn't want ET with MJ!Sign me up Capitain!!

The Little Rascals FTW!

#13 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

To answer OP's question on the pain that comes with getting a tattoo there's a few factors to consider:

1. Most important is the tattoo artist's skill. This includes how hard they press the needle onto your skin and if the rip/drag as they draw or if it is a smoother process. A skilled artist is more important than anything

2. The area of your body. The more flesh/fat on the area of the body that is being tattooed, the less painful it will be. If it's something like a foot or hand where its basically just skin and bone, it's going to hurt more.

3. Your state of mind. If you walk in and you are uncomfortable, freaking out or overly stressed about it, you are going to focus on the pain and it will hurt more. Stay calm. Your body's endorphins will kick in and you will actually start to go numb in the area you are being tattooed rather quickly.

Side note - Awesome tattoo idea. Sounds like you've given it a lot of thought. Waiting 'til you are 18 isn't really going to change much except for not needing your guardians permission legally. Good luck bud. I know some great artists and shops if you want some recommendations. Just let me know!

Edited by Magikal, 05 October 2012 - 07:40 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#14 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Be sure that's actually what you want. And when you think you're sure, think and wait some more. Maybe give it a couple weeks. There has been times that we have all wanted something and after we've got it, whatever it was had lost its 'wow' factor or we simply didn't care for it nearly as much anymore.
Posted Image

#15 _Kick_Save_

_Kick_Save_

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

sounds like a beautiful tribute for your father. Get it. Love it.
Posted Image

#16 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

The worst thing is when someone wants to get a tattoo just for the sake of getting one. Then they go to the place and spend forever looking at every type with no idea what to get. That person has no business being there. But the OPs idea is solid.

Posted Image

#17 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

The worst thing is when someone wants to get a tattoo just for the sake of getting one. Then they go to the place and spend forever looking at every type with no idea what to get. That person has no business being there. But the OPs idea is solid.

I think the worst thing is when someone gets a generic, dime-a-dozen tattoo.

Oh, you have a grim reaper tattoo? You must be a real badass.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#18 Gally

Gally

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

Sory to hear about your loss, I too lost my father when I was 8 and I'm the same age as you.

1zcq151.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#19 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

Posted Image

There is only one way to go when it comes to a tattoo.

Nard-dog. It's an Office reference...

EDIT: In all seriousness though, you know your dad best and you will know what will honor him best. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Edited by MaximYapierre, 05 October 2012 - 11:41 PM.

/=S=/

#20 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

I came in here and read the first sentence and got ready to give you a piece of my mind about how bad of an idea this was...

Then I read the rest.

Solid idea. I like it a lot. You won't regret it that's for sure.

My only advice would be to look around and find a quality, skilled, reputable tattoo artist who will do a good job. The last thing you want is to have an excellent tattoo idea and have it ruined by in imbecile with a tattoo gun. Don't cheap out.

#21 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

That's a really cool idea. I'd get it. I really doubt you'll ever regret it.

g3HKFnX.png

#22 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

Do it.
Any tattoo with a meaning such as this will not be regreted.
Make sure you take your time to really think about what you want, and don't cheap out on the artist. This is something that will be a part of you for the rest of your life, make sure you get it done right.
Posted Image

#23 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

This is a great tattoo idea. Most 15-16 year old have the worst ideas but this is awesome. Not something that I'd expect you to regret.

I've personally only got one tattoo. It's my daughter's name on the inside of my bicep. I figure if there ever comes a day when I regret having my child's name on my body, it probably means I got bigger problems in life than tattoos.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#24 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

slippery slope dude
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#25 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

slippery slope dude

Que?

Edited by SukhKular, 06 October 2012 - 10:02 AM.

I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#26 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

I'd wait a couple more years to get it, and work on the overall concept of what you want. Then when you find the artist and have a better idea of the overall idea.. you talk to the artist and they will put a little more art "spin" into the idea.. not only will it look better, but you'll still feel like it was your design.

I have 4 of them so far. First one was a canadian maple leaf with a skull and crossed hockey sticks like a pirate flag (for my love of hockey.. oh and I'm american.) 2nd was the "Big Red One" patch (US Army) with two "TT" over it (in tribute to my father with the first initials of my niece and nephew.) 3rd is my zodiac and my sisters zodiac symbols mixed together (looks like a sports logo) with colors reversed (she's a water sign... colored red, mine is a fire sign.. colored blue.) And my most recent tattoo is "Max" from "Where the Wild Things Are" and the red star from the Rush album "2112"

So in each one, the overall idea was mine... but I needed the artist to make it look good.

Other advice... make sure you put it in a place that is easy to cover up.

#27 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

It may look ok when you are in your 20's, but remember you will be 60 or 70+ one day, do you want to look like Ozzy Osbourne or Johnny Winter when you get older?
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#28 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

I know a couple people like this.. :picard: they get tattoos with stupid ass quotes in languages they have no connections with or can even speak just to have something to show off when they're in their bikinis.

sig by Malkin71

#29 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Don't

#30 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Don't

Care to elaborate? Possibly add some substance to that?

I don't disagreeable with your opinion, it just am intrigued to your position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.