The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

1. I wasn't comparing them based on Circumstances, I was saying valuewise, Schneider = Kane. which he does.

2. I wouldn't Edler > Byfgulien, Byfuglien isn't a strong skater, is more inconsistent than Edler. I would accept that deal in a heartbeat and I'm sure WPG would too honestly. Byfuglien has a heavy shot, but is basicly Phaneuf 2.0 expect he is worse than Phaneuf IMO.

3. Really you wouldn't do that? There D is probably there most significant need, to be able to add another top 4 able D-man like Ballard would be huge, Raymond is a 2nd/3rd liner right now that can replace Ladd, has the potential to be just as good, and two 1sts is a huge thing.

Think about it this way when you are comparing what they bring on the ice, if you were offered that package for Burrows would you accept? I absoluetly love Burr but I sure would.

Ballard won't be a casualty of the lockout, he still has years remaining on a guaranteed contract, he will be on our team, and after that I would imagine ton's of team would be knocking on the door to get him at 2 Million or less. I would absolutely love to get this guy at anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5.

#2421 was the one where I make the "gambling" comment, not #2409. #2421 was not edited.

If you want a scenario where Luongo ends up in Philadelphia, trading Bryz to CBJ would by far be the clear path to get it done. Mason's flopped since his rookie year, Bobrovsky is an unknown, both are RFA's to-be so not a lot of commitment on CBJ's part.

Bryz goes back to a market where nobody cares about hockey, in which he's excelled twice (Anaheim & Phoenix). The deal could be something like:

To COLUMBUS:

-Ilya Bryzgalov

-Matt Read

-2013 1st

To PHILADELPHIA:

-James Wisniewski

Then we could attempt to make some sort of deal with Philly for Lu, though I wouldn't even really know where to start. Maybe for Luke Schenn?

:bigblush:

No it wouldn't be, he would have to go to a team that needs goaltending, CBJ has 2 proven NHL calibre goaltenders. Bobrovsky played better than Bryz did at times last year and Mason had his moment's too, Bryz isn't a big upgrade on either if an upgrade at all, it's not worth trading one of your best d-men and burying a good goalie in the minors, leaving him unhappy in the process, to get him with that huge contract. And Philly wouldn't give up Read just to get rid of him.

So Columbus has "2 proven NHL calibre goaltenders", yet James Reimer is chopped liver? Explain that one.

You're only looking at Bryz's 2011-12 season, not every other year of his career, which have been good to very good. He'll probably be fine, but he's already done a lot of stupid things in Philly, which may have an effect on his long-term viability there.

Wisniewski is OK, not at all worth $5.5M, though. And Matt Read's a fine player, but is expendable to Philly if the payoff was getting rid of Bryz's deal and perhaps landing Luongo.

There is just no way that a trade of that magnitude is going to happen. I don't see it at all.

I would like to mention that there is a good chance that we'll see some sort of amnesty buyout clause for contracts signed previous to the new CBA (crosses fingers). This could create a lot of crazy trade scenarios, because teams could take risks on players with large contracts. The new CBA (crosses more fingers) could really change the landscape in this.

I didn't edit my post. What I said was that it could work out for them, but it would be the gamble of all gambles that I doubt any GM would be "bold" enough to take.

Only way Philly gets rid of Bryz is by trading him to Columbus, and they'd probably have to take back Wisniewski in return and give Columbus a 1st round pick, as well. That could make them Philly buyers for Luongo.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Coburn may not be the same type of player as Edler - but a guy like him who skates well, has great size and moves the puck effectively would still make a good partner for Garrison, who has partnered with stay at home, and offensive puck rushing defensmen. Garrison's versatilitiy imo is a great asset.

Couturier could step onto the third line (and Hodgson would soon be long forgotten) - that line would become downright incredible. Couturier at 19 years old had only 40.3% offensive zone starts last year, scored a respectable 27 points, was also respectable in the face off circle, and had impressive corsi numbers considering the contexts in which he played. He just turned 20 last week. Forget Bjugstad as well - Couturier would be a better option imo.

Simmonds, well kind of goes without saying - 2nd line RW who could also be deadly switching off with Burrows to change things up...

I think Philly would have to think hard about this deal. Holmgren is not shy about pulling the trigger, and he has the quality and quantity up front to afford to make this kind of move when the end result is to make Philly that much stronger on the back end, where they were literally terrible at times last year, particularly in the playoffs.

If Holmgren were to hook up with Burke again and exchange Bryz for the Bozak, they wind up not much worse for the wear up the middle (actually Philly could really use a veteran center), and in the end exchanged Simmonds in order to land the significant upgrades Luo and Edler bring. Holmgren actually comes out ahead of what he managed to land in the Carter and Richards deals (Vorachek, 8th overall (Couturier), Columbus' 3rd rounder, Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds and the Kings 2nd in 2012....

Archived