The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

The logic of that deal was not that bad, from Toronto's perspective; it just didn't turn out good for them. Burke simply underestimated how bad the Leafs were. He took a gamble, and he lost.

Kessel is a very, very good player, so it's hard to really say that they "lost".

The logic of that deal was not that bad, from Toronto's perspective; it just didn't turn out good for them. Burke simply underestimated how bad the Leafs were. He took a gamble, and he lost.

Kessel is a very, very good player, so it's hard to really say that they "lost".

Underestimating how bad the Leafs are has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Kessel is a big part of how bad the Leafs are - I wouldn't expect someone who brouses scoring stats to see that, but he's not a guy I'd want as a "core" player, and he does not play hockey in his own end of the ice.

It is patently obvious to most of us what Burke's miscalculations were - overestimated how good Kessel is, and underestimated the value of those picks.

Yes, which directly contradicts your first sentence. Burke didn't expect the two picks offered to be top 5's. He made a gamble, and lost.

But to say what you have about Phil Kessel, come on. In 3 years with Toronto, he has 30, 32, and 37 goals. 55, 64, and 82 points. 25 years old. Not bad. To say that he's part of the problem is ridiculous. He has done his job. The team's had zero stability and there's nearly zero complementary offensive skill on that team.

But to say what you have about Phil Kessel, come on. In 3 years with Toronto, he has 30, 32, and 37 goals. 55, 64, and 82 points. 25 years old. Not bad. To say that he's part of the problem is ridiculous. He has done his job. The team's had zero stability and there's nearly zero complementary offensive skill on that team.

My point referring to Byfuglien was that his size and ability to play and be a general pain in the a$$ was a big factor in turning a player like Luongo into something of a basketcase in the playoffs.

If Byfuglien could do that to Luongo (who was brilliant in his 3 series before the encounters with Chicago), he could probably do that to another good goaltender, which of course doesn't show up on any stats sheet.

Edler has done nothing of the sort. Good player nonetheless.

Yes, which directly contradicts your first sentence. Burke didn't expect the two picks offered to be top 5's. He made a gamble, and lost.

Which directly contradicts your point. Evidently Kessel did not make the Leafs any better - and therefore his impact was miscalclulated - to say what I have about Kessel is backed up by the fact the oppostion has scored 38 more goals than the Leafs when he is on the ice - actually, that's quite a lot.

Definitely part of the problem. No grit, frequent no-show, no defensive sense whatsoever (further taxing the Leafs blueline and young goaltenders) - in a nutshell, over-rated.

A bad fit for a team like Toronto that can't afford to subsidize all his downside. Kessel might make sense on a team with a stud blueline where his floating is safeguarded, effective two-way forwards, and could afford a one-trick wonder that they throw out situationally and on the power play. In Laffstown, another big part of the problem.

I'm seeing an evident trend though - King love for Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Reimer etc....

I think we may have a closet Leafs fan here.

No.

No.

How many ways can a person say no?

Just awful.

Massive overpayment.

My lord, who wants the Leafs core?

Just no.

Six pieces, including a top ten goaltender, all star defenseman (far better than Phaneuf btw), another top 6/4 blueliner, two first rounders... OMG NO!

A vacancy and a floater/cherry picker coming back this way.

That's a hell of a lot to give up to get Reilly.

Which directly contradicts your point. Evidently Kessel did not make the Leafs any better - and therefore his impact was miscalclulated - to say what I have about Kessel is backed up by the fact the oppostion has scored 38 more goals than the Leafs when he is on the ice - actually, that's quite a lot.

Definitely part of the problem. No grit, frequent no-show, no defensive sense whatsoever (further taxing the Leafs blueline and young goaltenders) - in a nutshell, over-rated.

A bad fit for a team like Toronto that can't afford to subsidize all his downside. Kessel might make sense on a team with a stud blueline where his floating is safeguarded, effective two-way forwards, and could afford a one-trick wonder that they throw out situationally and on the power play. In Laffstown, another big part of the problem.

No.

No.

How many ways can a person say no?

Just awful.

Massive overpayment.

My lord, who wants the Leafs core?

Just no.

Six pieces, including a top ten goaltender, all star defenseman (far better than Phaneuf btw), another top 6/4 blueliner, two first rounders... OMG NO!

A vacancy and a floater/cherry picker coming back this way.

That's a hell of a lot to give up to get Reilly.

Archived