The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I actually love watching Rugby. It has a similar level of physicality to hockey, and also has the same continuous feel. I wish that north america had a similar league to the MLS for rugby. I think it's more exciting than football mostly because football stops so damn much.

Basketball has the same continuous feel, and I like watching the flow of the game, but big plays are no where near as exciting as hockey, and there's no hitting. Full contact basketball would be some badazz schitte.

Sure there are better defensemen both on talent and in cap hit. The point is that post did not have anything close to the notions of reason and/ or argument.

For the sake of opinion, any on that list, including Phaneuf, would drastically help Vancouver's cause at acquiring their first Cup, for as it stands, teams read the defense as well as an open book.

Hey, and also just out of curiosity. If the Canucks and our players are so bad then why did we manage to win the presidents trophy 2 years in a row? ( including a trip to the finals in one year. )

Meanwhile all these other players who you claim great like dubnyk mps and phaneuf were all a part of teams who were out of the playoffs for good portions on the season...

Sensible people understand those trades are not alike at all, and it only gets worse if you add Ballard unless cap is a significant issue. Sensible people also realize King isn't going to change his mind no matter how many facts and reasonable statements are presented, so there should be a point we just all ignore his posts.

Dion was traded because his defence got so lowsy they were afraid to play him. I live in Calgary and have watched him play his agonizingly weak brand of hockey too many times. All he does is sit around looking for an opportunity to catch someone unaware and light then up. I was lucky to witness one his greatest moments when he made the worst pinch I've ever seen in my life. Tie game, double overtime of an elimination playoff game with about 1 minute left. They have the puck in Detroit's end when it comes along the boards, Dion goes for the puck when it is clear as day the other guys going to get it. So it gets poked by him, he doesn't even stop the guy, and then doesn't even bother chasing him. Game, set, series, goodnight. Trade mode.

You just don't want guys that poor defensively on your team. You can hide a couple here or there but we already have Bieksa and Edler. Adding another defensively incapable player couldn't be a good plan.

Roberto lost because he got pulled in the playoffs? If they are on the same team and Roberto outplays Schneider then Roberto will be the number 1. That's how things work.

Didn't Tim Thomas get relegated to backup a year before he came back to with the Cup while putting on a performance for the ages?

Please. All of my stuff is backed-up perfectly fine with stats or logic. Aren't you the guy that said that Dan Hamhuis "puts up as many points as Phaneuf" - except that he never has, once?

Regarding Edmonton "stealing" Luongo from us for Paajarvi, again, I ask if you'd trade Kassian for Lecavalier. Would you do it? Really not much different.

How about explaining to me why they aren't alike?

It's fair to say - at least suggest - that both Luongo (33 years old) and Lecavalier (32 years old) are past their primes. As for contracts, Lecavalier's cap hit is worse, but Luongo's is 2 years longer. So, they're probably roughly equally bad.

It's fair to say that MPS & Kassian are on a roughly equivalent level in terms of future prospects. Getting rid of Keith Ballard would be value to the Canucks. It is obviously not a winning strategy to pay $4.2M per year to a bottom-pairing defenceman who hasn't been a fit since he arrived.

You're not providing any evidence that I'm not being "sensible". A bunch of Canuck fans that overvalue their players disagreeing with me doesn't count. Let's see some real evidence.

Archived