3002 replies to this topic

#1651 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,826 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

...They need a goalie, yes, but it does not need to be Roberto Luongo.

And that sentence structure sums up most people's assessment of running with a tandem of Luongo and Schneider in Vancouver; the Canucks need to look at moving one of their goalies, but that does not need to happen before the next game played.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1652 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Gillis is not going to sell this team short. If some team comes out offering an excellent package for either Luongo or Schneider, Gillis will pull the trigger. Until then, no worries.

#1653 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Yes, but it's speculation based on a realistic assessment of facts.

Well all the true facts show is they are able to co-exist as a tandem and as friends until a deal is reached, both are team players, and support each other well as I have said numourous times.

Again just speculation to start some kind of controversy.

The only way his market value will improve is if more buyers come into the mix - which is unlikely, given the sheer level of pre-existing investment in goaltenders by other teams. Toronto will not be "more desperate" if they start off slow, because they still probably won't be competing for the asset amongst other buyers. They'll still have more leverage, because Gillis will still be more eager to unload him.

Actually it will also improve if a team is struggling nearly the deadline, with there playoff picture in the balance and jobs at stake, obviously a slow start wouldn't put them in panic mode, I never said it would, but if the leafs are out of a playoff stop and our trending downward at the trade deadline like they were last year, don't you think that puts more pressure and incentive for BB to get some major help like Luongo.

Which is what I was refering too, I don't know why you brought up struggling at the begining I was talking about the midway-point/end when the playoffs are in the balance.

What's really "narrow headed" is for a guy like you to think that Luongo will happily walk away from $7M because he "doesn't want to continue playing". $7M is over 10% of his contract's value. He has children, and a big family. The fiscal state of this continent is shaky. I'm not saying that he "needs" it, but he might (again, these guys tend to be big spenders), and based on principle alone, it would be very, very difficult to walk away from $7M. Even if Lu plays out his contract in its entirety, he'll only be 42 years old. A lot of life left, and a lot of free time.

I'm not sure why he'd be so eager to leave the game, at the age of 39 (in 2018), that he'd be willing to walk away from $7,000,000 to do so. When guys get to "the end", they also have a tendency to just begin appreciating what they have, and they tend to want to elongate their careers as they fear the unknowns associated with retirement - namely, zero commitments, zero structure, zero hockey player camaraderie, etc. This "early retirement" stuff should be put to rest.

Actually it is only about 8.5% of his current contract, but either way that isn't all that significant when you look at the rest of the contract (60 Million) Plus all the previous contracts, Plus all the money he has got from endorsements (Playnow.com exc.)

He will have already made 60 Million in this contract alone, plus all the other one's he has had over his career. Does he really need the money? No. does getting older change that? No.

If he didn't want to play any longer that would take incentive over making the last 8.5% of his deal anyday, he is set for life right now, let alone where he will be in 5 years or so.

Also he plays Poker competitively, it's a huge hobby for him, and something he will probably jump into heavily when his contract is over, and you can make good money in that, and he already has.

And BTW, from 2000-2010 only 15 Players (Forwards, Defense and Goalies combined) have retired after 40, and the overall average age of retirement for goaltenders is 28.

Also compair him with some of the latest star goalies to retire.

Curtis Joseph retired after 20 Season's,
Patrick Roy retired after 18 Season's
Ed Belfour retired after 19 Season's
Mike Richter retired after 14 Season's
Olag Kolzig retired after 20 season's

Roberto Luongo is currently in his 14th Year of playing in the NHL. He will have reached 20 years in 2018.

And Lu himself even said he doesn't think he has a ton of years left.

I know your trying to back up your argument, but take a look at all the facts, take a look at what roberto has said, think about what kind of person Roberto is, and then make the call. Cause really it just doesn't seem realistic to play that long in this case.

Mats Sundin was the linchpin of that team, not Ed Belfour. They were loaded with "former greats", yes, but those guys still knew how to play. They were a dangerous team. Not comparable whatsoever to what exists today.

And you're not actually suggesting that adding Luongo to these Maple Leafs will render them having a comparable amount of success to the early 2000 versions, are you?

Belfour & Sundin were both the glue, that's like saying just the Sedin's were the glue that kept us together last year, when our goaltending was just as good.

There greats were about just as good as some of the players we have now (Higgins, Booth, Raymond) They weren't star players.

No I don't think they will maybe be as good, but having Lu could do alot for them aside from just goaltending, they have alot of offensive depth and alot of players who have the potential to be 50-60 point guys, and if they can get there confidence back as a group without having to worry about goaltending, it will give them more confidence individually and they would play alot better and alot closer to there potential. Then at that stage, if everyone (or most) could play to there potential then maybe they would be able to achieve more than we think right now.

OK, but "veteran" could mean a lot of things. It could mean Vokoun, Nabokov, Khabibulin, Roloson, etc. Or, it could mean Luongo. Who knows?

I'm pretty sure Roloson retired.

Vokoun was brought in because Pittsburgh had goaltending troubles of there own, there not going to trade him unless the Leafs wanna over pay significantly, which would probably cost them more than a deal with us would.

Riemer is just as good as Khabibulin, both goalies have there good moments but are in consistent, it's not a big upgrade if any and for the big contract they would have to take on I don't see why there would be much interest there.

Nabokov is the only reasonable choice, but he's not the goalie he once was, and NYI would probably like to keep him, atleast for now till Dipietrio gets back and healthy, he has been a great option for them, I don't think he is on the market whatsoever, so Toronto would have to offer something good.

All are unlikely.

Smashian said "Toronto needs Luongo", which is what my response was to.

Toronto has very legitimate arguments to not be interested in Luongo, and to instead focus on Reimer's development. They need a goalie, yes, but it does not need to be Roberto Luongo.

It wasn't my post you replied too.

zackass.png

#1654 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Awesome point about the retirement ages. Good post over all.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1655 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Thanks ^ Glad someone agrees.

zackass.png

#1656 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Actually it will also improve if a team is struggling nearly the deadline, with there playoff picture in the balance and jobs at stake, obviously a slow start wouldn't put them in panic mode, I never said it would, but if the leafs are out of a playoff stop and our trending downward at the trade deadline like they were last year, don't you think that puts more pressure and incentive for BB to get some major help like Luongo.

Which is what I was refering too, I don't know why you brought up struggling at the begining I was talking about the midway-point/end when the playoffs are in the balance.

At that point, most teams will want to add a veteran goaltender with an expiring contract, not a guy with 9 years left on his deal at a significant cap hit. Not a lot of "hockey trades" made at the deadline, relatively.

Actually it is only about 8.5% of his current contract, but either way that isn't all that significant when you look at the rest of the contract (60 Million) Plus all the previous contracts, Plus all the money he has got from endorsements (Playnow.com exc.)

$7M is 11% of $64M. Not 8.5%.

And how much he earns doesn't take away from the fact that a 2018 retirement means that he'd effectively be walking away from a guaranteed, easy $7M, which would be hard to do.

Also compair him with some of the latest star goalies to retire.

Curtis Joseph retired after 20 Season's,
Patrick Roy retired after 18 Season's
Ed Belfour retired after 19 Season's
Mike Richter retired after 14 Season's
Olag Kolzig retired after 20 season's

Roberto Luongo is currently in his 14th Year of playing in the NHL. He will have reached 20 years in 2018.

And Lu himself even said he doesn't think he has a ton of years left.

How many of those guys walked away from millions of guaranteed dollars?

The issue is not age, the issue is why Roberto Luongo would willingly choose to walk away from millions of dollars to help his team's cap structure. I don't think Bobby's as selfless a guy as, say, Danny and Hank are. That's why you see #1 flogging poker websites, and you see the twins donating millions to children's hospitals.

Riemer is just as good as Khabibulin, both goalies have there good moments but are in consistent, it's not a big upgrade if any and for the big contract they would have to take on I don't see why there would be much interest there.

Nabokov is the only reasonable choice, but he's not the goalie he once was, and NYI would probably like to keep him, atleast for now till Dipietrio gets back and healthy, he has been a great option for them, I don't think he is on the market whatsoever, so Toronto would have to offer something good.

All are unlikely.

Reimer is 24 years old and not at all comparable to Khabibulin. If Khabi were brought in to Toronto, he would be there in a supporting role. Those names I mentioned were just veterans off the top of my head. The point is that if the Leafs see any sort of future with Reimer, it doesn't make much sense for them to acquire Luongo. I think you're missing the magnitude of acquiring Luongo; essentially, that's your starter for the next many, many years.

Edited by King of the ES, 27 November 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#1657 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Thanks ^ Glad someone agrees.

I also agree. Excellent post.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 27 November 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#1658 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

King, which veteran other than Luongo do you see as being a viable option for Toronto to bring in?

MirandaKerr.jpg

#1659 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,749 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

At that point, most teams will want to add a veteran goaltender with an expiring contract, not a guy with 9 years left on his deal at a significant cap hit. Not a lot of "hockey trades" made at the deadline, relatively.

And how much he earns doesn't take away from the fact that a 2018 retirement means that he'd effectively be walking away from a guaranteed, easy $7M, which would be hard to do.

The issue is not age, the issue is why Roberto Luongo would willingly choose to walk away from millions of dollars to help his team's cap structure. I don't think Bobby's as selfless a guy as, say, Danny and Hank are. That's why you see #1 flogging poker websites, and you see the twins donating millions to children's hospitals.

If for some reason Luongo decided he's not willing to walk away, a buyout in 2018 would cost $583k a year...

#1660 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

If for some reason Luongo decided he's not willing to walk away, a buyout in 2018 would cost $583k a year...

In before King finds some other way to prop up his argument.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#1661 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

Wait wait wait. King, why are you arguing that Luongo isn't good for Toronto? Didn't you say that you thought he nullified a trade to Toronto at the draft?

MirandaKerr.jpg

#1662 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

In before King finds some other way to prop up his argument.

:emot-parrot:
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#1663 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

Not a lot of hockey trades made at the deadline? Lol go back and look at the last few deadlines, then tell me if you think that, most the deals are hockey deals.

And your not considering the other variables again King, the biggest flaw in your argument.

Buy-out, retirement, another trade, if they really don't want him at that point there are ways to deal with him, it's not like there are completely locked in for the duration like u make it seem.

The issue is not age, the issue is why Roberto Luongo would willingly choose to walk away from millions of dollars to help his team's cap structure. I don't think Bobby's as selfless a guy as, say, Danny and Hank are.

Either way, 7 Million out of 64 just for one contract? Not that significant, then you factor in all the money he has made from other contracts, and endorsements. if he no longer wants to play, he will walk away from the money with no issue.

You know why I believe this? Because he himself said he doesn't think he has a ton of time left.

That's why you see #1 flogging poker websites, and you see the twins donating millions to children's hospitals.

Actually you see Roberto on poker websites because.. He loves Poker.

Roberto spends tons of time doing community work and is great to his fans, I don't why you brought this up.

And if Roberto is selfish, why didn't he go to MG and demand a trade right then there before the CBA expired? It's because he's not selfish, and he is willing to wait out the time so we can get the best deal possible.

Is that a Selfish move?

Reimer is 24 years old and not at all comparable to Khabibulin. If Khabi were brought in to Toronto, he would be there in a supporting role. Those names I mentioned were just veterans off the top of my head. The point is that if the Leafs see any sort of future with Reimer, it doesn't make much sense for them to acquire Luongo. I think you're missing the magnitude of acquiring Luongo; essentially, that's your starter for the next many, many years.

Your sidetracking again a little bit but anyways:

Why would they bring him in, in that capacity? They have Scrivens who can do the back-up/supporting role fine.

They aren't gunna get someone with a contract like that unless there is a upgrade there, which there isn't in this case.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 27 November 2012 - 11:52 PM.

zackass.png

#1664 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

King, which veteran other than Luongo do you see as being a viable option for Toronto to bring in?

Anyone. Just your standard, backup goaltender, if they still have belief in Reimer. The obvious thing is that that job shouldn't be shared by two young guys, like Reimer and Scrivens, so Nonis wasn't exactly saying anything jaw-dropping in that interview.

If they do end up getting Luongo, then that's a pretty clear signal as to what their level of belief is in Reimer. Granted, they could also say "it's not every day you get to add an all-world goaltender", but Lu's contract also does go against everything that Burke has said about lifetime contracts publicly.

#1665 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

Nothing says "graceful exit" to an excellent NHL career like a buyout, I guess...

:bigblush:

#1666 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

Wait wait wait. King, why are you arguing that Luongo isn't good for Toronto? Didn't you say that you thought he nullified a trade to Toronto at the draft?

I'm not arguing that. He could be good for Toronto, but they also have a reasonable argument to run with Reimer. My point was that Burke's probably not "desperate" to add him, like Smashian insinuated.

And FWIW, Botchford had alluded to Lu blocking a trade to Toronto. I was merely the messenger, though I'm not sure why he'd make something like that up.

#1667 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Not a lot of hockey trades made at the deadline? Lol go back and look at the last few deadlines, then tell me if you think that, most the deals are hockey deals.

And your not considering the other variables again King, the biggest flaw in your argument.

Buy-out, retirement, another trade, if they really don't want him at that point there are ways to deal with him, it's not like there are completely locked in for the duration like u make it seem.

The vast, vast majority of deadline deals consist of non-playoff teams selling off their veteran assets with expiring contracts to playoff teams that want a low-risk, low-commitment supplement their lineups. The Hodgson/Kassian trades are the exception to the rule.

And yes, I'm considering all sides when forming my opinion, not sure why you keep bringing up that I'm not. Because we disagree, and nobody could disagree with your sheer brilliance? Anyway, yes, those options exist, but if it's difficult today to trade Luongo - which it is - how difficult do you think it'd be to move him as a 38 year-old, still with a $5.3M cap hit?

Either way, 7 Million out of 64 just for one contract? Not that significant, then you factor in all the money he has made from other contracts, and endorsements. if he no longer wants to play, he will walk away from the money with no issue.

"He will walk away from the money with no issue" - interesting, did he tell you that at the Luongo family dinner table? I would argue that if he no longer "wants" to play - which I would find very, very unlikely, as the alternative is the retirement abyss - he would likely still suck it up and go earn that money, which he bargained for in good faith. $7,000,000 is not insignificant. Roberto Luongo is still an employee.

I would think that the only way that "walking away" in 2018 becomes an option is if his play his atrophied so extensively that he's become the backup goalie of some non-playoff outpost and he's become the public target of criticism and ridicule. I have a hard time picturing this.

Actually you see Roberto on poker websites because.. He loves Poker.

The Sedin's love coffee, why don't we see them in any Starbucks commercials? Lou's doing it for the money.

And if Roberto is selfish, why didn't he go to MG and demand a trade right then there before the CBA expired? It's because he's not selfish, and he is willing to wait out the time so we can get the best deal possible.

Is that a Selfish move?

Behind closed doors, you don't know whether he has or he hasn't demanded a trade - he somewhat already has, by saying that "it's time to move on". "Demand" might be a little strong to describe that, but it is right there between the lines.

We don't know what Gillis & Luongo's discussions have been like, behind closed doors. They have an obvious interest in keeping things cordial in the public.

Why would they bring him in, in that capacity? They have Scrivens who can do the back-up/supporting role fine.

Scrivens is an undrafted goalie who's played 12 NHL games and ~80 AHL games. He's not NHL-ready yet, if ever. TML would be well-served to bring in a veteran, if they're running with Reimer. There are plenty of names who could qualify - Dan Ellis is another one.

Edited by King of the ES, 28 November 2012 - 04:53 AM.

#1668 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,749 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

And FWIW, Botchford had alluded to Lu blocking a trade to Toronto. I was merely the messenger, though I'm not sure why he'd make something like that up.

Yeah - this has been done before but Botchford didn't lie, he was just wrong - hadn't checked his facts or published the rumour based on a soft source - surprise, not everything the Province publishes has credibility :bigblush:

Anyway Botchford has since backtracked and corrected the rumour - Gillis rejected the Schenn offer, not Luongo. Just one more reason I have faith in our GM - and if you read between the lines, the Schenn offer clearly means that Luongo is worth at least 10 first round picks to them...

Dan Ellis wants to be a Canuck and backup Schneider - he signed in the AHL in Charlotte in the meantime - more likely that he signs here (if the Canucks are interested and decide Lack isn't ready) after Luongo is dealt than goes to Toronto - if Toronto wasn't so interested in Luongo, and were only looking for someone to backup Reimer (yeah, not what they've been suggesting at al) - they probably would have already pitched to Ellis, who is probably the best plan B available in FA.

Edited by oldnews, 28 November 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#1669 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,365 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

...and if you read between the lines, the Schenn offer clearly means that Luongo is worth at least 10 first round picks to them...

Thread over - oldnews wins.
Posted Image

#1670 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thread over - oldnews wins.

oldnews won long ago...

#1671 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

The vast, vast majority of deadline deals consist of non-playoff teams selling off their veteran assets with expiring contracts to playoff teams that want a low-risk, low-commitment supplement their lineups. The Hodgson/Kassian trades are the exception to the rule.

Klesla/Upshall comes to mind aswell.

There are more than you think.

And yes, I'm considering all sides when forming my opinion, not sure why you keep bringing up that I'm not. Because we disagree, and nobody could disagree with your sheer brilliance? Anyway, yes, those options exist, but if it's difficult today to trade Luongo - which it is - how difficult do you think it'd be to move him as a 38 year-old, still with a $5.3M cap hit?

"He will walk away from the money with no issue" - interesting, did he tell you that at the Luongo family dinner table? I would argue that if he no longer "wants" to play - which I would find very, very unlikely, as the alternative is the retirement abyss - he would likely still suck it up and go earn that money, which he bargained for in good faith. $7,000,000 is not insignificant. Roberto Luongo is still an employee.

The trading ability depends on his ability of play, if he can play well, I'm sure someone would be willing to take a chance on him for a fairly low price.

To us 7 Million isn't significant, but to a guy who will have already made over 87 Million, plus endorsements, 7 Million isn't really significant.

I would think that the only way that "walking away" in 2018 becomes an option is if his play his atrophied so extensively that he's become the backup goalie of some non-playoff outpost and he's become the public target of criticism and ridicule. I have a hard time picturing this.

Or if he want's to spend more time with his kids, move on to other things, or as you say isn't playing at a level he is comfortable with, there are alot of possible reasons.

The Sedin's love coffee, why don't we see them in any Starbucks commercials? Lou's doing it for the money.

The better comparison would have been "The Sedin's love coffee, why don't they ever go to a coffee shop and get some" (Which they do)

Luongo loves poker, he has a busy schedule with his training and hockey, where else is he supposed to play but an online website?

Terrible comparison again, and I'm not sure where you are going with it either way.

Behind closed doors, you don't know whether he has or he hasn't demanded a trade - he somewhat already has, by saying that "it's time to move on". "Demand" might be a little strong to describe that, but it is right there between the lines.

We don't know what Gillis & Luongo's discussions have been like, behind closed doors. They have an obvious interest in keeping things cordial in the public.

It's clear Luongo has no issue waiting it out a bit for our sake, or else he would have been traded by now.

Scrivens is an undrafted goalie who's played 12 NHL games and ~80 AHL games. He's not NHL-ready yet, if ever. TML would be well-served to bring in a veteran, if they're running with Reimer. There are plenty of names who could qualify - Dan Ellis is another one.

He has played well in the NHL when he has played, aswell as been great in the AHL, he has earned the back-up job in Toronto. That's why Burke has so much confidence in telling everyone he will be the back-up.

zackass.png

#1672 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

State Alchemist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Scrivens, though, is an undrafted guy who's played 12 NHL games. Good as he's been in the AHL, too, he's only played 83 games there and he's in his 3rd season with the team. Totally unproven.

Scrivens is Toronto's version of Lack,+slightly more NHL experience.

Edited by ER15, 28 November 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Posted Image

#1673 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

In your mind, how do goalies become "proven" when you wouldn't give them a chance until they are?

Steve Mason, Calder winner, was proven, now he's proven to be not so awesome.
Schneider, NOT PROVEN!!, looks a heck of a lot better than Mason.
Rask, he's in basically the same situation as Schneider, so... UNPROVEN!! He looks pretty good though.

Someone call Jesus' agent, I hear he can make saves. He's been around for what... 2000 years or so. THAT'S PROVEN!!

IT'S THE PLAYOFFS!

MirandaKerr.jpg

#1674 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

In your mind, how do goalies become "proven" when you wouldn't give them a chance until they are?

Steve Mason, Calder winner, was proven, now he's proven to be not so awesome.
Schneider, NOT PROVEN!!, looks a heck of a lot better than Mason.
Rask, he's in basically the same situation as Schneider, so... UNPROVEN!! He looks pretty good though.

Someone call Jesus' agent, I hear he can make saves. He's been around for what... 2000 years or so. THAT'S PROVEN!!

IT'S THE PLAYOFFS!

Actually, the Jesus story is the biggest propaganda scheme ever put on paper. Taken by Rome, this pagan figure is the symbol of individualism and resides in the New Testament whereas the Old Testament is really a How to Grow Your Fields For Dummies book.

Jesus is? UNPROVEN.

Might as well stick with PROVEN Luongo!

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 28 November 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#1675 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Actually, the Jesus story is the biggest propaganda scheme ever put on paper. Taken by Rome, this pagan figure is the symbol of individualism and resides in the New Testament whereas the Old Testament is really a How to Grow Your Fields For Dummies book.

Jesus is? UNPROVEN.

Might as well stick with UNPROVEN Schneider!

This post needs deserves a million zillion +1's.

Edited by MC Fatigue, 28 November 2012 - 11:09 PM.

" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#1676 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

This post needs deserves a million zillion +1's.

Autocorrect didn't work so well... lol

#1677 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Autocorrect didn't work so well... lol

Just a matter of coming back and throwing an edit on there. Still....

Posted Image

#1678 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

Anyway Botchford has since backtracked and corrected the rumour - Gillis rejected the Schenn offer, not Luongo. Just one more reason I have faith in our GM -

You have faith in our GM for rejecting a young defenceman that would likely be a mainstay on our back-end for the next many, many years, yet you're hoping for Nick Bjugstad and Alex Petrovic, both of whom will likely be in the AHL for multiple years, before making the NHL, assuming they ever do?

If what you're saying is true (I haven't heard Botchford's backtrack, but you could well be right), I think it'll wind up being a mistake by Gillis. Schenn offers both immediate help and legitimate upside. It'll be tough to get a deal elsewhere with both of those elements - your proposal, oldnews, doesn't offer immediate help.

#1679 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

To us 7 Million isn't significant, but to a guy who will have already made over 87 Million, plus endorsements, 7 Million isn't really significant.

The alternative is sitting around at home and trying to find things to do. I bet he'd even prefer to play NHL hockey for free.

He has played well in the NHL when he has played, aswell as been great in the AHL, he has earned the back-up job in Toronto. That's why Burke has so much confidence in telling everyone he will be the back-up.

He's played 12 games in the NHL, has a losing record, and pretty bad numbers overall. He hasn't "earned" anything. He's had a couple of good seasons in the AHL - as a backup - which does not translate to being NHL ready. TML will either want to go in an entirely new direction - Luongo - or they'll want to acquire another veteran goaltender to mentor Reimer as the backup.

#1680 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

This thread is past it's best before date

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.