The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bieber fans vandalize Rick Rypien memorial

Alchemy Time

Let's look at it from another angle just to play devil's advocate. Do you know enough about Rick Rypien to be able to say he would be ok with people blowing this way out of proportion and threatening her? Do you even know if Rick hadn't done some similarly stupid stuff at this girl's age? If he had, that would blow your "she should be smart enough to not write crap there" argument out of the water.

Just curious, how would you feel if this was your mom or dads' or someone else in your families' head stone/memorial? Doesn't matter what the 'ef Ryp may have done in the past. Just cause he pounded people's heads on the ice, doesn't mean he was a complete Dee Bee, especially to the dead.

As if I needed any more evidence to show that "true Canuck fans" (as opposed to us normal Canuck fans) are easily the most petty minded, hateful, mean spirited and, yes, emotionally deranged fans in all of North American pro sports. I have to ask all of the completely moronic imbeciles that posted threats and curses on both Twitter and this message board to this poor girl this one very important question: Do you REALLY think she did this with ANY knowledge that this particular concrete pillar was of any real importance to anybody in particular? There is absolutely NO indication that this graffitti-ed pillar is anything other than that; no plaque or sign saying that it is a spot commemorating Rick Rypien (who, I am sure would be horrified at this blizzard of pure hate towards a young woman) and, no, this is not anywhere near an "official" or "public" memorial; it is simply a spot where fans of Ripper decided that there would be a memorial for him there and Allah help the poor fool who messes with it. Doesn't anybody here see the parallel between this furor and the furor that has consumed the whole Middle East with regard to a silly video that allegedly " disrespects the prophet"? The very similar intolerance that has erupted over this perceived slight is very familiar to this observer. Anybody who sees the photo of how the "memorial" looks today could be forgiven if they failed to note its significance to "true Canuck fans" (and a huge "boo" to all the media outlets like the Globe and Mail that posted pictures of said "memorial" from over a year ago as opposed to what it looks like today just to stir the pot; you people are scum. It's jerks like you who helped set the table for the big playoff riot which, of course, made for a great "story" didn't it?). These morons fail to understand that there are some people out there who may have never heard of a guy who played a whole 119 games in the NHL scoring a whopping 9 goals in the process while having as his major career achievement an attack on a fan while being kicked out of a game for being too much of a goon (which earned him a hefty suspension and essentially derailed his "career" for good). Which is exactly what Rypien was; the epitome of the kind of player that the NHL is trying to rid itself of.This observation is not to disrespect the man himself who apparently had a lot of problems but as a hockey player he was all but useless; if he hadn't have spent his career with the Canuck he would be considered a waste of guts by everybody here. However a band of self appointed myth makers have decided that he was the hockey equivalent of St. Francis of Assisi and since this heretic woman has seen fit to blaspheme against the shrine that "true Canuck fans" have erected in His name (illegally, I might point out for the dorks that suggested that the police visit her house) they (and waaaay too many of their ilk) have decided to make this poor girl's life hell just out of sheer bloody mindedness. There are literally dozens of posts here that would be ban-worthy if I were a moderator on this board but, since Rypien is a folk hero here nobody will do anything to mitigate the damage done to the image of the Canuck fan base which is unfortunate. Only a small number of Canuck fans feel the way that the noisy few do; at least I like to think so. Of course the fact that all the video of the main principals of the riot that I have seen lately has shown that the absolute worst offenders in THAT catastrophe were, naturally, wearing Canuck gear.

"Proudly" I suspect, "true Canuck fans" to the end. This whole episode makes me sick and it should make all of the people reading this sick too. "True Canuck fans" excluded, of course.

P.S. I will add once again that if the Ripper had been a career Boston Bruin and that if this had happened at a Bieber concert in Boston at a "memorial" set up by Bruin fans that there would have been much hooting and applause here by many of the same people that are crying foul over this terrible desecration of a holy site. But to expect anything but hypocricy from this crowd is to expect too much. For these cretins I can only hope that the lockout lasts forever.

P.P.S. This incident also illuminates the need for a proper memorial for Rick somewhere within the arena itself, even if it is only a large framed picture with a plaque or something of that sort near the entrance. Luc Bourdon and Pavol Demitra would also be worthy of such treatment. All died during their careers in the prime of their lives so IMHO this would be appropriate. Impromptu memorials, be they roadside ones for traffic fatalities (ask any cop; they HATE them) of fallen hockey stars only cause problems, especially if they are not clearly defined as such. Like I need to tell you all now...

Props to the Sun for posting several CURRENT shots of the "memorial" (as opposed to the yellow journalism of the mighty Globe and Mail which posted year old photos in a pathetic attempt to make something out of nothing). Props also for blacking out her name. Also thanks to whomever pointed out that this "memorial" is actually on Translink property and so has absolutely nothing to do with the Canucks or Rogers arena. This is no "headstone" that is for sure and even as a makeshift memorial it is woefully inadequate. A person unfamiliar with the Canucks would have a hard time differentiating this post from a thousand other grafitti covered places in Vancouver. Of course this won't be enough for BB or the rest of the "true Canuck fans" most of whom I'm betting aren't parents. If this girl was my daughter I would have called the police at once with regards to the death threats etc. Guess that makes me a "coward" to some here but that's too bad tough guys.

Props to the Sun for posting several CURRENT shots of the "memorial" (as opposed to the yellow journalism of the mighty Globe and Mail which posted year old photos in a pathetic attempt to make something out of nothing). Props also for blacking out her name. Also thanks to whomever pointed out that this "memorial" is actually on Translink property and so has absolutely nothing to do with the Canucks or Rogers arena. This is no "headstone" that is for sure and even as a makeshift memorial it is woefully inadequate. A person unfamiliar with the Canucks would have a hard time differentiating this post from a thousand other grafitti covered places in Vancouver. Of course this won't be enough for BB or the rest of the "true Canuck fans" most of whom I'm betting aren't parents. If this girl was my daughter I would have called the police at once with regards to the death threats etc. Guess that makes me a "coward" to some here but that's too bad tough guys.

Feel better now you've got that out of your spleen, Zippy? Better'n Xanax, I bet.....cheaper, too. :rolleyes:

I do not condone the death threats and the threats of physical harm against Simran Mann whatsoever and those posting that garbage also need to face the consequences of posting threats and cyber-bullying.

That said, sixteen (or 17, her age seems to be up for interpretation) is old enough to understand that there are consequences for your actions......the ill-advised and the good. This was ill-advised, stupid, and she probably should have taken a moment to look at what (and where) she was writing. We live in 2012..the age of technology and as such, the tools of technology have become the instruments of consequence when you are foolish enough to leave your name at the site of personal graffiti that gives offense.

This should also be a cautionary tale to all the young folk out there who twitter the details of their personal life for the world to see. I am still able to see every single tweet that is posted to her wall despite her going private and changing the name on the account......that's technology for you...you are never as private as you seem to think you are. Scary thought to know that you're one bad/stupid decision away from what Simran Mann is going through right now, isn't it?

That's rich; so you don't condone the abuse she is getting but she deserves it anyways because she was "stupid" to not recognise a random grafitti scrawled pillar that the likes of you and the rest of the "true Canuck fans" think is some sort of holy site. Your cyber sleuthing skills are to be admired; naturally you aren't going to leave her alone or anything. Leave the kid alone! You really are a piece of work. I sure hope you don't have kids.

So, you're saying you would look to see what was already written on the wall before writing your graffiti. :o

But seriously, I'm glad you avoided the rest of my point. Let me try once more with a multiple choice question.

What would you say is most likely (please rank in order from 1-3):

A. Rypien would not want us to vilify this girl for writing graffiti where she did.

B. Rypien would not care one way or the other.

C. Rypien would be ok with the responses she's getting.

You're argument against people using how Rypien might feel (or how it would represent his legacy) is that neither A nor B would be ranked #1.

Oh, I get what you're saying, but to specifically argue against someone saying they think Rypien wouldn't like the reactions is a little presumptuous in itself. If you were to make an assumption, given the possibilities, isn't it more reasonable to think Rypien wouldn't want people sending her death threats? If you can agree to that, then why bother calling someone out for saying something - that in their opinion - they believe to be true?

Certainly the same type of statement about Rypien's legacy would a reasonable statement, and it'd also be reasonable to equate what Rypien himself would think to his legacy, so you'd making a point that's pointless considering the overall argument.

Using your opinion is not really a strong argument. And they're stating that Ryp would dislike the comments as a fact, which can not be proven. No one knows what is the most reasonable assumption that could be made. Only Ryp knew what Ryp was thinking (and maybe Juice too).

Most likely an honest mistake by a young person not knowing an area covered in "graffiti" was actually a public memorial to Ryp.

Get over it. All people do stupid things and honest mistakes at any age.

The aggressive and threatening reactions are disturbing and probably nothing more than cheap attempts at shock value.

Ahhhh the youth of today.

Archived