345 replies to this topic

#61 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,031 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

Spare the rod. ;) I used to get the wooden spoon and spankings...I turned out alright.

If by turning out alright, you mean growing up to be someone who advocates the beating of children, then sure.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#62 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well jeez, get the word out JR! As easy as that. :rolleyes:

Oh that (especially the parenting) is FAR from easy. Modern, quality parenting is an endangered species thanks to many, many reasons.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#63 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

If by turning out alright, you mean growing up to be someone who advocates the beating of children, then sure.

I said right in my post that I wasn't advocating that kind of violence...yup the bus driver should be fired. He could have killed her. All I have been saying(with the use of hyperbole) is, "I believe" there is a serious discipline issue with a lot of kids growing up today...there is an ever expanding number of out-of-control kids these days(look no further than Amanda Todd). But like I have also already said, I don't know the answers, that is just my opinion.
Posted Image

#64 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

I said right in my post that I wasn't advocating that kind of violence...yup the bus driver should be fired. He could have killed her. All I have been saying(with the use of hyperbole) is, "I believe" there is a serious discipline issue with a lot of kids growing up today...there is an ever expanding number of out-of-control kids these days(look no further than Amanda Todd). But like I have also already said, I don't know the answers, that is just my opinion.

And that would require better parenting, not worse.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#65 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

And that would require better parenting, not worse.

Yes, I agree....better parenting involves a more disciplined approach.
Posted Image

#66 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

Yes, I agree....better parenting involves a more disciplined approach.

Discipline yes. Physical abuse, no. And even more than discipline would be INVOLVEMENT IMO. Far too many parents expect teachers etc to raise their kids for them and wonder why their kids have issues.

Edited by J.R., 12 October 2012 - 03:11 PM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#67 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Discipline yes. Physical abuse, no. And even more than discipline would be INVOLVEMENT IMO. Far too many parents expect teachers etc to raise their kids for them and wonder why their kids have issues.

I guess it all comes down to the individuals definition of physical abuse. I certainly don't feel like I was abused because I was spanked as a child...and I always thought twice before doing something "bad."

Couldn't agree more with your involvement statement, though. Good call.
Posted Image

#68 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

I guess it all comes down to the individuals definition of physical abuse. I certainly don't feel like I was abused because I was spanked as a child...and I always thought twice before doing something "bad."

Couldn't agree more with your involvement statement, though. Good call.

I wouldn't consider a spank (being a moderate, open hand "pat" on a cushioned bottom) to be abuse, no. Beyond that, you get in to grey and then ever more black and white territory as to it being or not being abuse.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#69 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

If he gets fired I'll hire him to be my chauffeur.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#70 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

The video doesn't work. Really wanted to see this. :lol:

Posted Image

Sig made by allons-y. Concept by canuckforever00.

Thanks guys.

#71 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1k8aIbo2v0

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#72 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,341 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuaiHZOxQRY

EDIT: Found this video of it, can really see the punch connect in this one

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 12 October 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#73 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

that girl is tough as nails!

Not only does she get back up, but she goes right after him. You think you'd be a bit wobbly after a shot like that at least.

Crazy.

#74 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thanks, guys, for the video. That is pretty funny, though. :lol:

Posted Image

Sig made by allons-y. Concept by canuckforever00.

Thanks guys.

#75 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

I wouldn't consider a spank (being a moderate, open hand "pat" on a cushioned bottom) to be abuse, no. Beyond that, you get in to grey and then ever more black and white territory as to it being or not being abuse.

So would you say that I was an abused child because I got spanked bare ass with a wooden spoon?
Posted Image

#76 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

So would you say that I was an abused child because I got spanked bare ass with a wooden spoon?

Yup. If you, as an adult started walking around with a wooden object and hitting people you could be charged with assault and rightly so. Now that doesn't mean you were "severely" abused (that's dependent on a lot of other factors) but you certainly were abused if you were struck with a wooden spoon.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#77 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

that girl is tough as nails!

Not only does she get back up, but she goes right after him. You think you'd be a bit wobbly after a shot like that at least.

Crazy.

He didn't really connect all that well. It looked like more of a glancing blow to the side of the head.

A proper upper-cut, connecting underneath the chin, would have broken her jaw or knocked her out at least. She's lucky that he had poor aim on that one.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#78 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Yup. If you, as an adult started walking around with a wooden object and hitting people you could be charged with assault and rightly so. Now that doesn't mean you were "severely" abused (that's dependent on a lot of other factors) but you certainly were abused if you were struck with a wooden spoon.

Huh....that's interesting. I do not feel the same way. Looking back it was a pretty effective punishment.
Posted Image

#79 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

Huh....that's interesting. I do not feel the same way. Looking back it was a pretty effective punishment.

Punishment can be effective without the use of violence. Largely all it does is re-enforce the wrong lesson that violence is an appropriate response to negative behaviour. Then it gets passed on, one generation to the next. In some families it's moderate, in some it's extreme. In none is it beneficial for society.

Edited by J.R., 12 October 2012 - 04:01 PM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#80 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

He didn't really connect all that well. It looked like more of a glancing blow to the side of the head.

A proper upper-cut, connecting underneath the chin, would have broken her jaw or knocked her out at least. She's lucky that he had poor aim on that one.

You're probably right. Tough to see properly with the poor pq. You would think that If that landed perfectly she would be out cold.

#81 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

She got what was coming to her, unfortunately he'll probably lose his job after this.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#82 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,341 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

agree, I remember getting the paddle a couple times when I was a kid. Learned my lessons quickly and learned respect in the process. I turned out fine because of it.

Kids today know they can get away with murder with little repercussions. I smacked my nephew across the back of the head a few months back for disrespecting my mother. You could tell it snapped some sense into him. Don't think his mother ever did that, he has very little respect for anyone. Treats my Mother different now though, thats for sure.

#83 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

agree, I remember getting the paddle a couple times when I was a kid. Learned my lessons quickly and learned respect in the process. I turned out fine because of it.

Kids today know they can get away with murder with little repercussions. I smacked my nephew across the back of the head a few months back for disrespecting my mother. You could tell it snapped some sense into him. Don't think his mother ever did that, he has very little respect for anyone. Treats my Mother different now though, thats for sure.

Again, that's due to a lack of parenting, not a lack of physical punishment. Abuse is just a lazy and damaging way to deal with problems.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#84 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

Bruce Buffer with the decision.

Subbancopy.jpg

#85 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

That was such a beautifully executed upper cut. Starts off with the fist real low, makes solid contact, and a nice follow through. 9/10, definitely a 10/10 if she was KO'd.

sig by Malkin71

#86 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Punishment can be effective without the use of violence. Largely all it does is re-enforce the wrong lesson that violence is an appropriate response to negative behaviour. Then it gets passed on, one generation to the next. In some families it's moderate, in some it's extreme. In none is it beneficial for society.

Well it sure as hell benefitted me....but maybe I'm the anomaly. I'll tell ya one thing, time outs would have done dick all for me.
Posted Image

#87 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,646 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#88 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Actually, looking at that video once more, after WAY too many times already....it looks like to me that the girl may have initiated the contact while the driver was operating the bus. You can see it in the reflection a bit, as the guy in the orange vest attempts to sit down, just before the driver gets up.

This may be able to be a case of self-defence.......perhaps.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#89 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,341 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Actually, looking at that video once more, after WAY too many times already....it looks like to me that the girl may have initiated the contact while the driver was operating the bus. You can see it in the reflection a bit, as the guy in the orange vest attempts to sit down, just before the driver gets up.

This may be able to be a case of self-defence.......perhaps.

She did, she smacked the driver in the face. If she kept coming at him I could see it as self defense. But since she had backed off and he came up and hit her, I don't see it as self defense.

#90 JesseBlue

JesseBlue

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

bullying at its finest...bully beatdown on her hehe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.