The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just trade em already....

Lui's Knob

Yeah he was struggling but come on.

I was looking at Florida's boards last summer and I remember reading a thread about the Booth trade and a fan said that "we traded our best winger".

So if they considered him there best, I do too. Yes he was struggling but in his overall time there he was probably there best.

You are nuts if you think that Booth wasn't a cap dump. If Booth was so valuable, you really think that Tallon couldn't have found something better around the NHL than 2 veterans on expiring contracts - the definition of a cap dump? He had no interest in retaining either Sturm or Samuelsson, from the get-go, which is obvious to all that aren't biased Canuck fans who view this as a "hockey trade".

"Balancing his lineup with veterans" is funny, seeing as in the summer added Jovanovski, Upshall, Campbell, etc. The goal was to get rid of David Booth's bloated contract, an objective very obvious to anyone but the biased Canuck fan like yourself.

Roberto Luongo- doesn,t matter what,s being said publicly; the goalie contraversy is going to be a huge distraction.

David Booth- never really found a home in Vancity. He;s gotta go

Mayson Raymond- needs to be on a run and gun style team not a puck posession one.

Jordan Schroeder- don,t think he gets a real shot in Vancouver for same reasons for trading Raymond.

You can sure be dense at times. Earlier you defined dumping a player for prospects as by definition a cap dump.

You've also been arguing that we should have kept Samuelsson and re-signed him instead of trading him for Booth. Now here you are implying that he was disposable and that Tallon had no real interest in him other than to get rid of Booth. As usual, you are speaking for someone else, and imo failing as usual. You have no idea whether Tallon intended to re-sign Samuelsson or not.

B.S. ES. First you don't seem to be able to comprehend the simple fact that the Panthers don't need cap space - they always have 20+ million to work with.

Booth has three years, your long term big money contract is embellishment - and I've gone over the numbers - 25 goals a year, 100+ hits, top six player with speed and grit = market value. Tallon may have been concerned about concussion issues - we simply can't speak for Tallon, but you cap dump claim is typical of your devaluation of virtually every player on the roster.

Go ahead and tell yourself the fans of 29 other teams would agree with you - your straw claims have become exceedingly predictable.

Misquote me if you want. Tallon said at the time that he wanted Samuelsson - Gillis confirmed that Samuelsson was the player Tallon named and wanted for Booth.

He was "there" best winger until they acquired Fleischmann and Versteeg.

Oh, and how were you able to read about the Booth signing during the summer? He was traded a few games into the season.

Not taking anything away from Booth, he's a great player and is a very good second liner, but he lacks some hockey sense and defensive ability. His numbers were inflated by a great playmaker in Weiss and one of the best powerforwards in Horton.

Not saying he can't reach his previous point totals, but he just needs to be comfortable playing in Vancouver's lineup.

I hope that he'll have a James Neal type of year this season... That is if there is a season

Your plays on my name are both original and humourous.

And not needing cap space doesn't mean that you don't want to improve it. Maybe they'll need it in two years, and they're striking pre-emptively.

25 goals a year? Or 25 goals once? Booth has scored 25 as many times as Grabner has. And Grabner had 3 more goals in his best year than Booth had in his, which led to the contract that he has.

And BTW, again I will ask, if he's "market value", then why was Florida only able to get two veterans on expiring contracts for him? Why couldn't they get something better? Was Tallon offering payback to Gillis after the Keith Ballard raping from Draft Day 2010? Unlikely.

Gillis said that he wanted Gragnani, too. GMs tend to say things like this.

Yes, wanting to improve, which is presumably what they were trying to do. Which would mean that it was not a cap dump. How hard is that to comprehend? You don't seem to realize that in claiming that Booth is better than a few mere veterans, you are contradicting your cap dump claim, and contradicting the pumping of Samuelsson's tires that you are engaging in. Once is also how many times Samuelsson topped 23.

But how can it possibly be thought-of as an improvement when they're parting ways with the great David Booth, who's also very fairly compensated, according to you?

And hold up - I've never said that Booth was better. I've said that two older guys with expiring contracts, 1 of which who was injured at the time, are of negligible value on the trade market. Which further agrees to my notion that from Florida's perspective, it was a cap dump. What do you think Sturm and/or Samuelsson would've got if they were instead traded at the deadline? A 3rd round pick, maybe?

Another poll to kill time during the lockout: who do you think should be traded from the roster already based on previous past couple seasons/playoffs? Could be due to poor play, too many missed chances or overrated, etc. anyone from current roster or ahl farm team.

For me it's a close tie between Raymond and Booth. Raymond due to poor very poor play, booth for his overratedness and untimely antics.

David Booth - just trade em already....

Archived