Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

http://www.sportsnet..._mountain_goat/

Posted Image

Ok. I'm going to say out right that a) I don't eat non human animals; b ) I take non human animal ethics very seriously (I have a masters degree in philosophy on this very topic) & c) I'm a big fan of David Booth the hockey player. Further, I am not absolutely against hunting. There can be good reasons for it i.e. necessary wildlife management. So there are exceptions to the rule.

HOWEVER, as much as I don't want to dislike what Booth has done, I can't help but say that his reasoning just doesn't work, ethically speaking. Sure, hunting goats may be challenging but why should we care about that? Of course it is a thrill for the hunters, but what about the interests of the animals themselves? Don't they count for something Booth? Or is it all about human interests only?

This isn't intended to be a hater thread. It's too bad for the goat is all I'm saying. Would much rather hockey started (might keep Booth away from his 'hobby'). I find it ironic that as much of this bugs me I still would completely support Booth as a hockey player. I do wonder where Booth draws the line though.....

START THE SEASON!!! END THE MASSACRE (note: sarcasm)

***EDIT*** 14/10/12

Thought I should add a few posts which display a lack of reasoning. If anyone wants to specifically address me on a point related, feel free to do so. I will try my best to address any direct responses.

i believe we have a cannibal here friends stay clear

"I don't eat non humans".

Oh my Lord...

Just when I think I have read it all on CDC. Just when I think it is impossible for someone to say something more outright baffling. You sir, you come out with this.

Thank you for bragging about your Cannibalism. My stupidity meter officially has a new low.

Edit 15/10/12

Not eating non human animals does not logically entail eating human animals (we are animals too right). That is like saying if I don't non orange fruit, then I must eat apples. It doesn't necessarily follow from teh former that I must eat the latter. I could not eat both, which is entirely possible. In other words, cannibalism simply doesn't follow, and for the record I don't eat humans.......sometimes.

Then why not just say you don't eat animals. That's like saying you don't eat apples... or any other fruit, just say you don't eat fruit. You're asking to get flamed when you word something so deliberately poorly.

The precise meaning is non-human animals. We are animals. They are non-human animals.

You made the point to specify that you don't eat NON-human animals.

You made a poorly worded statement, simply admitting the obvious would have been a better route than over-defending the mistake to try and make it seem like everyone else is wrong...

I've clarified the meaning of the term. Your insistence on the issue only shows that you are trying to make an argument out of nothing (which demonstrates a lack of reasoning on your part as well)

*people don't seem to realize that they are arguing about the vagueness of the term "non human animals". The meaning should be more than clarified now. More rediculously, its not even the point at issue....

/end discussion on this

Why is hunting and killing a mountain goat for food and trophy not okay but raising and slaughtering cattle for meat and leather okay?

No one said it was ok. You are presupposing that it is. That's called begging the question.

vegetarians are dumb. eat according to your biology.

also, what makes eating an animal so much worse than eating a plant? both are alive, and eating plants is worse for the planet than eating animals (since plants produce oxygen while animals deplete it).

First, human biology does not dictate that we must eat meat. If that were the case, vegans would perish. Further, many high performance athletes are switching to vegan diets for improved health and recovery.

Second, plants are not sentient. They do not experience complex emotions or desires like we do. More importantly, they do not experience pain.

Third, eating plants isn't destroying the environment as near as badly as factory farming non human animals is. You need to do some basic fact checking.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 15 October 2012 - 01:53 PM.

G4fSut.gif

#2 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

http://forum.canucks...st-david-booth/

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#3 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

POPULAR

Anthony Del Fiacco@adelfiacco10
I can't believe David Booth killed the Luckdragon. We will never forget you, Falcor

Posted Image

Edited by cIutch, 13 October 2012 - 11:51 PM.

Posted Image

#4 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

That goat is MASSIVE

#5 Linden's_Forgotten_Son

Linden's_Forgotten_Son

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

POPULAR

"I don't eat non human animals"...................................So you eat humans then?

#6 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

i believe we have a cannibal here friends stay clear
Posted Image

#7 infinitecarnage

infinitecarnage

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

what a frackin spineless douchebag. where's mike richards when you need him?

Edited by infinitecarnage, 14 October 2012 - 01:07 AM.

Posted Image

#8 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

POPULAR

I guess, you could say, David Booth got his goat.

That goat had a baaaah-d afternoon.

Finally, David Booth gets a picture with a kid.

Welcome to CDC. We've goat puns.

Edited by MaximYapierre, 14 October 2012 - 12:07 AM.

/=S=/

#9 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,430 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

damn I hate david booth now. frack sakes.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#10 Ryanstorm

Ryanstorm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

So you can kill a goat.. wonderful accomplishment. *sarcasm*

10n8i06.jpg

#11 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

Looks like Chara's son...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#12 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

"I don't eat non humans".

Oh my Lord...

#13 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

POPULAR

http://www.sportsnet..._mountain_goat/

Posted Image

Ok. I'm going to say out right that a) I don't eat non human animals; b ) I take non human animal ethics very seriously (I have a masters degree in philosophy on this very topic) & c) I'm a big fan of David Booth the hockey player. Further, I am not absolutely against hunting. There can be good reasons for it i.e. necessary wildlife management. So there are exceptions to the rule.

HOWEVER, as much as I don't want to dislike what Booth has done, I can't help but say that his reasoning just doesn't work, ethically speaking. Sure, hunting goats may be challenging but why should we care about that? Of course it is a thrill for the hunters, but what about the interests of the animals themselves? Don't they count for something Booth? Or is it all about human interests only?

This isn't intended to be a hater thread. It's too bad for the goat is all I'm saying. Would much rather hockey started (might keep Booth away from his 'hobby'). I find it ironic that as much of this bugs me I still would completely support Booth as a hockey player. I do wonder where Booth draws the line though.....

START THE SEASON!!! END THE MASSACRE (note: sarcasm)

Sorry, Silly Goose, but as a wildlife photographer, I know that the Oreamnos americanus - otherwise known as the mountain goat is not on the IUCN Redlist (Endangered) or Yellow List (At Risk). It may be disturbing to see a majestic animal like the mountain goat lying on it's side expired, but frankly with at 100,000 examples, there is enough genetic diversity to still be able to recover this animal.

Even the North American Black Bear that Booth baited and shot, was also not on the IUCN Red LIst. The population is stable and the reproduction rates are steady.

If you want to get really pissed off about something wait until he kills something that is on the IUCN Red List and then we can really crucify him with justification.

Edited by Puck'nAnimal, 14 October 2012 - 12:52 AM.

HistoryVisionDrive-HeartofaCanuck_rs.jpg

#14 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,216 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

POPULAR

I honestly hate all this "hoopla" about David Booth's hunting.

- He hunts within the the rules & regulations that are enforced to make sure those species of animals do not become extinct.

So can we just stop complaining about it now.

zackass.png

#15 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

Ok. I'm going to say out right that I don't eat non human animals

Just when I think I have read it all on CDC. Just when I think it is impossible for someone to say something more outright baffling. You sir, you come out with this.

Thank you for bragging about your Cannibalism. My stupidity meter officially has a new low.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#16 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

"I don't eat non human animals"...................................So you eat humans then?

LOL, first thought that popped into my head, too :lol:

#17 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

Vegetarian, probably. What's disturbing is that there's more plants on the IUCN Red LIst than there are animals. So...technically he's doing more damage to the environment eating plants than Booth is in trophy hunting animals.

HistoryVisionDrive-HeartofaCanuck_rs.jpg

#18 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

POPULAR

This has been beaten to death numerous times. So long as Booth is doing this legally, this is a non-issue.

#19 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

POPULAR

Anyways, I don't have a problem with hunting. I have never hunted myself nor do I plan to, but I believe in the right to hunt animals (within reason, of course).

Why is hunting and killing a mountain goat for food and trophy not okay but raising and slaughtering cattle for meat and leather okay?

I don't get why people are so outraged over stuff like this ...

Edited by n00bxQb, 14 October 2012 - 12:59 AM.

#20 Jordan Subban

Jordan Subban

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

Hmm it's funny, just the other day i was thinking about how the child of a goat and a cow would look like... now i know.
Posted ImageCredit to _-_ -_

#21 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

Anyways, I don't have a problem with hunting. I have never hunted myself nor do I plan to, but I believe in the right to hunt animals (within reason, of course).

I don't get why people are so outraged over stuff like this ...

This.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#22 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:11 AM

He is following al of the rules and regulations and he is eating what he kills.

It's not like he's doing it to kill time. He does it for food without breaking rules, so it's fine.

Edited by Canucksbiggestfan, 14 October 2012 - 01:11 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

who freaking cares about his hunting you hippys
Posted Image

#24 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,326 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

My reaction when I first saw the goat: Holy ****

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#25 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

who freaking cares about his hunting you hippys

Well, when you see guys like Bieksa and the twins working to improve their game and try and do something for the community. Its hard to look at this and not think, really you want me to support you in this lockout dispute?

I also have a hard time believing that he is going to eat that goat. You never hear people saying "come over to my place for some Mountain Goat tonight" Wouldn't think it would be anything but really gamy meat considering their diet.

#26 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:58 AM

that goat is a beast holy
Posted Image

#27 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

POPULAR

Well, when you see guys like Bieksa and the twins working to improve their game and try and do something for the community. Its hard to look at this and not think, really you want me to support you in this lockout dispute?

I also have a hard time believing that he is going to eat that goat. You never hear people saying "come over to my place for some Mountain Goat tonight" Wouldn't think it would be anything but really gamy meat considering their diet.

But "come over and eat these steaks from this meat factory that processes 4700 (yes, four thousand, seven hundred. XL Foods) cows per day" (!!!) is fine?

Like, even if he didn't eat it, even if he just got it for the trophy ... it's such an inconsequential impact on ... everything ...

That's great that Bieksa and friends are doing charity games and showing up at junior practices and such, but that's their choice. If your co-workers go out and do charity work with their free time, does it make you a bad person if you pursue your hobbies and interests instead? Give me a break ...

Edited by n00bxQb, 14 October 2012 - 02:18 AM.

#28 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

I guess, you could say, David Booth got his goat.

That goat had a baaaah-d afternoon.

Finally, David Booth gets a picture with a kid.

Welcome to CDC. We've goat puns.

Shear brilliance.
I'm sure we will milk this for all its worth.
Posted Image

#29 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

But "come over and eat these steaks from this meat factory that processes 4700 (yes, four thousand, seven hundred. XL Foods) cows per day" (!!!) is fine?

Like, even if he didn't eat it, even if he just got it for the trophy ... it's such an inconsequential impact on ... everything ...

That's great that Bieksa and friends are doing charity games and showing up at junior practices and such, but that's their choice. If your co-workers go out and do charity work with their free time, does it make you a bad person if you pursue your hobbies and interests instead? Give me a break ...

Comparing mountain goats to farm raised cows, that's new for me. I was just commenting on the absurdity of hunting them for food.

He can do whatever he wants within legal reason. But the minute you broadcast things on the internet with visually graphic pictures makes you fair game for people to voice their opinions on it.

#30 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Or in this instance I guess, hate the laws, not the hunter.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.