The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Both sides are greedy but the way I see it is the owners take all the financial risk and the players whine about not making an extra million. While the middle class can barely afford to watch these spoiled millionaires play hockey. If there is another lock out I will definitely consider never buying a jersey or going to a game again. Of course I love my Canucks so I'd still follow them.

I'm glad people are finally realizing that Bettman is the guy the owner's want. You need to hire a worm to do dirty work. Bettman being a worm isn't the debate here. The owners want more money, they're greedy, including our beloved Aquillini. We don't know whether he stands with other owner's sending Bettman to war or not.

What I would like to know on the level of the Phoenix team is if this is Bettman's doing or the owners wanting a club in Phoenix? Is it Bettman's wanting hockey in the south to work or the owner's? He needs to have owners blessing to go forth in any of these areas.

Can some one expound on this thought for me.

Having mentioned the above thoughts it still doesn't ease my distaste for Bettman as a human. The guy is a worm living like a worm! He's a lawyer and a real good one at that.

For me it comes down to the fact that the players are willing to play out the next season under the current deal and continue negotiating. It's the owners playing hardball and risking the lockout.

I mean at least give it a try before you use the nuclear option and maybe cancel another season. It just seems inconceivable to me that the owners would risk that after they already got the major concession of a salary cap last time. I agree that a salary cap was worth the last lockout. I like the parity and even playing field and it had to be done to ensure the longterm health of the league. An extra slice of the pie isn't worth the risk of a wasted year.

As much as we may hate that the players earn ridiculous salaries, they deserve a fair share of the revenue for creating the product, and the owners deserve a fair share as well for providing the infrastructure. The fans make it all possible though, without us there is no money, so we deserve to be treated fairly as well. There has to be a way to make this work without disrespecting the fans by endangering the season.

What I would like to know on the level of the Phoenix team is if this is Bettman's doing or the owners wanting a club in Phoenix? Is it Bettman's wanting hockey in the south to work or the owner's? He needs to have owners blessing to go forth in any of these areas.

Can some one expound on this thought for me.

One more nail in the coffin of what the NHL used to be.

Greed is killing what was the greatest sport.

The insistence to have and maintain franchises in non-hockey markets together with the greed of the owners is destroying the product.

How unfirtunate there isn't an alternative for pro hockey in NA. If there was, the NHL owners and their incompetent a$$ of a CEO would all be singing a different tune.

I've been a hockey fan since I was being held by my gramps to watch games in black and white. The combination of all the politics, greed and BS rule changes is making me have second thoughts of whether the NHL is even worth my time.

This goof(betman) is taking away what I look forward to every year in September. The fresh start to a new NHL season is being compromised. This little rat has to be eradicated from the NHL. He doesn't give a damn about the fans or the game. He is more concerned with filling the owners pockets with cash and looking after his own interests. The last thing I would suggest is to make the NHL more political, but they should have some kind of election type format to recruit a new president and chief of operations like every four years or so, and the fans should elect this particular individual. Why should this scumbag have all the power every year and not have to fight for his position in office. Just my opinion.

Dynamo Moscow will try to sign Ovechkin if there’s a lockout:

Dynamo Moscow general manager Andrey Safronov says the KHL champions will attempt to lure Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin to Russia should there be an NHL lockout.

“We will talk with Ovechkin,” Safronov told RIA Novosti. “It will be up to the head coach.”

Ovechkin played with Dynamo as a teenager before heading to the NHL. In fact, his last season with the club was 2004-05 when the NHL lost an entire season due to a lockout.

That 2004-05 Dynamo team also included NHLers Pavel Datysuk, Maxim Afinogenov and Andrei Markov.

If Ovechkin does sign with Dynamo, we imagine his contract would include an escape clause that would allow him to return to the NHL whenever a new CBA is agreed upon.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/25/dynamo-moscow-will-try-to-sign-ovechkin-if-theres-a-lockout/

This goof(betman) is taking away what I look forward to every year in September. The fresh start to a new NHL season is being compromised. This little rat has to be eradicated from the NHL. He doesn't give a damn about the fans or the game. He is more concerned with filling the owners pockets with cash and looking after his own interests. The last thing I would suggest is to make the NHL more political, but they should have some kind of election type format to recruit a new president and chief of operations like every four years or so, and the fans should elect this particular individual. Why should this scumbag have all the power every year and not have to fight for his position in office. Just my opinion.

NHL Negotiations Going Nowhere Fast:

NHL Lockout Possible Following Frigid Talks

The second NHL lockout in just 8 years may be right around the corner. Spokespersons for both the NHL Player’s Association and the NHL itself have come forward to present the deadlocking of negotiations.

A short meeting held between the two organizations this past Thursday led to little besides continued philosophical differences in pay scales.

The commissioner of the NHL, Gary Bettman, was reported as saying the issue is simple, “We believe we’re paying out more than we should be. It’s as simple as that.”

The NHL Player’s Association lacked this viewpoint, and instead sought to maintain or only slightly decrease revenue shares for players. Donald Fehr, the executive director of the NHL Player’s Association, brought forth a proposal last week offering reduced revenue for players.

Fehr, however, seeks to avoid what his organization believes was a mistake from the 2004-2005 talks. Players helped end that year’s deadlock by agreeing to less money.

As the September 11 deadline for the lockout approaches faster and faster, neither side seems to be lowering their demands anytime soon.

http://www.ecanadanow.com/canada/2012/08/25/nhl-negotiations-going-nowhere-fast/

There is no doubt in mind the NHL season will not start on time. There will definitely be a lockout and at least 2 months of no hockey. Fehr is a very tough guy to negotiate with, he was in charge of MLB players union when they lost a season and world series.

I don't expect negotiations to get serious until players start to go without pay checks and put pressure on the union execs to get a deal done.

I would not be surprised if we lost a whole season.

For me it comes down to the fact that the players are willing to play out the next season under the current deal and continue negotiating. It's the owners playing hardball and risking the lockout.

I mean at least give it a try before you use the nuclear option and maybe cancel another season. It just seems inconceivable to me that the owners would risk that after they already got the major concession of a salary cap last time. I agree that a salary cap was worth the last lockout. I like the parity and even playing field and it had to be done to ensure the longterm health of the league. An extra slice of the pie isn't worth the risk of a wasted year.

As much as we may hate that the players earn ridiculous salaries, they deserve a fair share of the revenue for creating the product, and the owners deserve a fair share as well for providing the infrastructure. The fans make it all possible though, without us there is no money, so we deserve to be treated fairly as well. There has to be a way to make this work without disrespecting the fans by endangering the season.

There is no doubt in mind the NHL season will not start on time. There will definitely be a lockout and at least 2 months of no hockey. Fehr is a very tough guy to negotiate with, he was in charge of MLB players union when they lost a season and world series.

I don't expect negotiations to get serious until players start to go without pay checks and put pressure on the union execs to get a deal done.

I would not be surprised if we lost a whole season.

Archived