The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

* The bottom line is the option of playing elsewhere at the same level of compensation exists only for a few players. If the PA decertifies and players go the court route I suspect the NHL will start up again next fall. There is no reason why they cannot. I agree that would be the worse case scenario. It is also why IMO this has to be settled now. I fear that the longer this goes on the more invested ownership becomes in a resolution that leaves even less for the players. At what point does it become more economically beneficial to walk away from the NHLPA entity and move on to a new union and many new players? The PR would be terrible but it has happened before.

Why? If I sign a contract with an employer, they can still end the contract early if needed for various reasons.

Are you saying the players have the owner's by the balls with one sided contracts with no clauses for termination?

If that's the case, then I am back on the owners side.

lawsuit assigned to former U.S. federal prosecutor

The NHL's lawsuit against its players was assigned to a relatively new federal judge who is a longtime New York Yankees fan and a former federal prosecutor.

The sides didn't talk Sunday, the 92nd day of a lockout that is threatening to wipe out an entire NHL season for the second time in nine years. NHL players started voting on whether to have their union give up collective bargaining rights, a “disclaimer of interest” that could be a precursor to an antitrust suit.

The league argued in a 43-page suit Friday in federal court in Manhattan that the union's actions were a bargaining maneuver and asked that the lockout be declared legal. The case was assigned to U.S. District Judge Paul A. Engelmayer, who joined the bench in July 2011.

The 51-year-old is a graduate of Horace Mann School, Harvard College and Harvard Law School.

He spent a year between college and graduate school as a reporter for The Wall Street Journal. After clerking for Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, he had two stints in the U.S. Attorney's office in Manhattan, rising to chief of the major crimes unit. He also worked in the Solicitor General's office in Washington, D.C.

One of his more prominent cases occurred in 1999, when he led the prosecution of Lawrence X. Cusack III, convicted on 13 counts on mail and wire fraud stemming from the sale of forged documents claiming President John F. Kennedy paid hush money to keep secret an affair with Marilyn Monroe. Cusack was sentenced to 10 years, 3 months in prison and ordered to pay $7-million restitution.

Two years earlier, Engelmayer prosecuted a Los Angeles woman, Autumn Jackson, who was convicted of conspiracy and crossing state lines to commit a crime for threatening to tell tabloids she was Bill Cosby's out-of-wedlock child unless he paid her $40-million. Jackson was sentenced to 26 months in prison. Cosby denied he was Jackson's father but admitted having an affair with her mother and providing more than $100,000 in financial support.

Engelmayer worked from 2000-11 with the New York law firm now known as WilmerHale before he was nominated for the bench by President Barack Obama and confirmed by the Senate.

In his most notable decision thus far, Engelmayer ruled a provocative ad that equates Muslim radicals with savages is protected speech under the First Amendment. New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority initially refused to run the ad, saying it was “demeaning.”

I agree that a team should have to right to cut a player, for certain reasons, like someone who doesn't perform.

But, the best way to make that fair is to not have that directly, but have short contracts - not these long term fiasco's that 9 times out of 10 hurt a team.

Like maybe 2 + 2. 2 years with 2 option years where either party can decide to accept or decline.

* You are assuming the new union has the same negociating positions as the old one. The NHL wouldn't start a union but could express a willingness to talk to a new one. It would undercut the diehards in the old PA, especially if + 50% of the old union joined the new one. My guess is that would be the case.

I just had to share this quote because if nothing else it proves that they have literally asked EVERYONE's opinion on the lockout now:

Eminem on the NHL lockout: “Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say, but nothin’ comes out when they move they lips. Just a buncha gibberish.”

My mind has become numb to all this, when will it end?

How about some help to finish a song in good season fun instead of the gloom:

On the first day of lockout, the Bettman gave a plea

a deal that force the players over-sea

On the second day of lockout, the Bettman gave a plea

two seasons lost and a deal that force the players over-sea

sing along now... :)

Well, at half a season lost: even at the old rates the players have given up an average of 1.2 million just fighting for whatever it is they are fighting for? I am not sure anymore what it is...its not money, since they caved on the 50% issue now....so its??? I dunno...they want a lolipop along with the average 2million dollar paychecks?

Archived