6226 replies to this topic

#541 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

Obviously they're going to take a break, this shouldn't be surprising.

Both sides have probably made their best offers by now, and now it's just a matter of the NHLPA accepting it or taking time and presenting another counter offer.

These things take time. Which is why they should have never started so late.

#542 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,591 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

April 22nd, the last time we got to see the Canucks play.....I dont know if I can handle another lockout, I dont know how i got through 2004-2005
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#543 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

People also have to remember that the owners are not all likely on the same page. I'm sure they have to do their own negotiating amongst themselves. Because in reality, what Canucks ownership wants is probably not the same as what New Jersey's ownership wants.

From the sounds of it, Bettman is speaking more on behalf of the teams that are struggling, rather than the teams that are doing well. If I was one of the teams that is doing well, I would be pissed that Bettman keeps trying to throw money at teams that are doing bad, rather than addressing the real issue; which is that these teams are just in bad markets.

#544 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

So you know for a fact that all owners suported the 2005 CBA? Hard to believe given what followed.

Yes I do it was a unanimous decision

#545 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Not sure how the owners can cry foul on this one. Absolutely pathetic. The system works for the owners, the league as a whole is making record profit yet there is going to be a lockout. Please tell me how that makes any sense?

#546 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

:sick: Going to be a long year.

#547 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Posted Image

Look at the body language of the star players in that photo--probably a lot more telling than the double-speak of Fehr. Looks like the negotiations aren't going very well... <_<

#548 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Not sure how the owners can cry foul on this one. Absolutely pathetic. The system works for the owners, the league as a whole is making record profit yet there is going to be a lockout. Please tell me how that makes any sense?

Because even though there were record profits, a third of the league's teams are struggling financially.

The owners don't want to dole out any more of their money, so the solution is to cut expenses in the form of player salaries.

For a team like the Canucks, it's not the worst thing because the owners will likely just re-invest those savings back into the team in the form of upgrading facilities, and investing more in scouting and development.

#549 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image

Look at the body language of the star players in that photo--probably a lot more telling than the double-speak of Fehr. Looks like the negotiations aren't going very well... <_<

It's pretty hard to feel sorry for a player like Crosby in all of this. So what, instead of making 68 million in the first 6 years of his new contract, he'll make 61 million instead? Boo hoo! And that doesn't even include the countless endorsement deals he gets.

The players salaries have been inflating way out of control the last few seasons. And yes it is the owners fault, but it seems to be only a handful of dumb ones that have been ruining it for the rest of the league. And this is the only way to correct things and get the league back in order so it doesn't become like the NBA.

Edited by D-Bo7, 31 August 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#550 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

It is even harder to feel sorry for billioniare owners, especially when they won the last lockout and got what they wanted.Now they want more.

#551 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

It's not on the table but the League has to do something about guaranteed contracts. A player signs a contract based on one or two good years of play then sucks for the length of the contract and still gets paid millions of dollars. Redden, Yashin and Horcoff come to mind.

#552 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

It is even harder to feel sorry for billioniare owners, especially when they won the last lockout and got what they wanted.Now they want more.

It's their money. They're taking all the risk and are the ones that lose if the organization is losing money.

Players get paid no matter what. So no, the players are just as greedy.

When a player like Doan is getting offered 7.5 mil per year, something is not right with the league.

Edited by D-Bo7, 31 August 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#553 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

It's their money. They're taking all the risk and are the ones that lose if the organization is losing money.

Players get paid no matter what. So no, the players are just as greedy.

When a player like Doan is getting offered 7.5 mil per year, something is not right with the league.

You're right. We shouldn't blame the owners offering the money, but rather players who are being offered the money.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#554 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

You're right. We shouldn't blame the owners offering the money, but rather players who are being offered the money.

It's only a handful of owners that are trying to make a big splash that are driving up player values. Teams like the Sabres offering Leino 4.5 mil or Doan 7.5 mil, or teams like Philly offering Weber a ridiculous offer sheet is what's ruining the NHL.

There are alot of sane, reasonable Gm's in the league that are trying to keep salaries under control. But then you've got the idiot Gm's that are driving up player values because of their own egos.

Like I said before it is the owners fault (at least a handful of them). But it doesn't mean the league as a whole shouldn't try and correct this problem before it gets out of control.

#555 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Yes I do it was a unanimous decision

Well if that was truly the case then a guy like Mike illich is truly stupid, which i realy doubt given the business empire he built. The reality is more that 'puppett' Bettman has the owners always looking united and unanimous (under threat of serious fines). Illich was a big spender before 2005 and he sure was not going to be restrained by the cap (same with Snyder).

#556 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#557 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

So frustrating listening to fehr and "Bett on a lockout" man. Will start following nfl and cfl... Tired of the garbage.

#558 Hockey Coach12

Hockey Coach12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Since the 2005 lockout, the NHL has recorded record profits. The league/owners won that lockout by a landslide, the players took the hit because they just wanted to play and get paid. It's really no big surprise now that the NHLPA is digging in it's heels and is unwilling to talk on the terms of what the league offered on Tuesday.
I really was hopeful that the league would look outside the box at the PA offer earlier this month. Other than the term, it seemed like a decent deal. But I certainly don't want to be going through this again in 4 years! That was a area that they probably could have worked out, but the league/owners have been unwilling to look at other ways to avoid this type of problem in the future.
It certainly looks like it is gonna be a long fall/winter without hockey!

God, I hate Bettman!

Edited by Hockey Coach12, 31 August 2012 - 10:19 PM.

#559 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,497 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

The only things to look forward to for the next 12 months hockey wise:

12 Months talking about increasing net size and decreasing pad size.
Rules summit
World Juniors
World Championships
World Cup?
Draft
Mega Free Agency

#560 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

Well, 1/3 the league is making pretty good profit, 1/3 breaks even or makes alittle bit of money, and 1/3 is losing money.

Its not all sunshine and rainbows being an owner. It wasnt that long ago where the Canucks were almost bankrupt.

The game is growing and there is record REVENUE, but I never heard anything about record profit. While Revenue is increasing, player's salaries are also increasing.

#561 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

Well, 1/3 the league is making pretty good profit, 1/3 breaks even or makes alittle bit of money, and 1/3 is losing money.

Its not all sunshine and rainbows being an owner. It wasnt that long ago where the Canucks were almost bankrupt.

The game is growing and there is record REVENUE, but I never heard anything about record profit. While Revenue is increasing, player's salaries are also increasing.

Article worth reading: http://www.examiner....g-part-1-of-2-1

Highlights: the article notes the difference in the players and NHL's perspective in terms of the revenue sharing agreement as well as the differences between hockey and non hockey markets. Essentially there are 9 teams (Canucks included) which get taxed 15M annually based upon their successes, and the money is divided amoung the other markets - with the exception of the Islanders, Stars and Ducks. In other words every team makes a profit except these 3 other teams - making your first 2 statements incorrect.

Player's salaries are increasing,true - but in terms of revenue and profit the owners are still getting a fair shake. Ultimately the players will have to come down in terms of their percentage of HHR. I would not support the notion however that they take a rollback to compensate for owner's not receiving a large enough profit. In many other sports franchises it falls on the owners and their management teams to manufacture their own profit. The NHL is unique in this, as even struggling markets still get paid. Also worth noting, league owned teams such as Phoenix take from the pool of wealthy teams - Bettman's salary.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#562 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

it is difficult to feel sorry for the players espically when they say they lost the last lock out. They went from a top ceiling of 50M 8 years ago to a top ceiling cap of 70M last year. Average salary is 2.2M. A lot of these players make more in one game then most people make in 2 or 3 years. The players should understand that the league has been footing the bill for a number of teams that have been in trouble over the years. Mind you some of that is because Bettman has hockey where hockey does not belong.

I wish the league would say to the players, alright we will take your offer but in order to do that we are going to have to fold 6 teams (losing 120 player jobs) and move another 4 to proper markets. It would be interesting to hear what the players would say to that. Or giving the players what they want in exchange for no more guarentee contracts like the NFL. They can be cut at anytime, kind of like us regular people tyhat can be fired at anytime and lose our jobs.

I will always be hockey fan for the rest of my life but to hear players say they deserve more makes me sick. The fact that our Canucks have a stronge chance of going deep into the play-offs hurts us even more as fans because we lose another year with this core. These players that are considering playing over seas, I wonder if they are getting the same money they would be making in the NHL, more or less? If it's less then how in the world can they say we want more from the NHL but we will take less from the KHL. The owners want more money, the players want more money and the fans are going to pay more money for tickets. Jeff O'Neal said it best this week, "now that I have stepped away from the game, I don't feel bad for the player or owners, but for the guy that has just came home from working his job and is looking forward to watching the game on TV that night"

If there is a lockout I hope it goes for 3 years. When it comes back yes I will watch and cheer for the Canucks as always, but enough of the players crying poor.

Edited by canuckelhead70, 01 September 2012 - 06:13 AM.

#563 Tyler83

Tyler83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

As ominous as things may seem, the real negotiating won't start for either the NHL or PA until or around Sept 10.

#564 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Interesting, where did you get the figures for the league profit? i know for sure the canucks do not release how much profit they make. What is the total profit anyways on the $3.3 billion in revenues? That is not something that is well know I think, the amount of profit made, you should mention what it is, other than it is a record high.

#565 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 71,979 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

The only things to look forward to for the next 12 months hockey wise:

12 Months talking about increasing net size and decreasing pad size.
Rules summit
World Juniors
World Championships
World Cup?
Draft
Mega Free Agency

I was so looking forward to the Bruins-Canucks game this December. If they lockout the whole season I'm going to be so disappointed.

307mg00.jpg

#566 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

Thought I'd post this in here in case anyone hasn't seen it yet. We the fans need to stand up to this crap.

Posted Image

#567 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thought I'd post this in here in case anyone hasn't seen it yet. We the fans need to stand up to this crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQs3O_IDas&feature=player_embedded

Not going to happen. The fans`bluff has already been called and they folded.

#568 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,497 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Maybe Gary actually thinks the world is going to end in December. So he's banking some extra troll time.

#569 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Not going to happen. The fans`bluff has already been called and they folded.

Bluff? What bluff? I'm still pretty pissed off! And I'm sure millions of other NHL fans are too...
Posted Image

#570 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

Bluff? What bluff? I'm still pretty pissed off! And I'm sure millions of other NHL fans are too...

The fans said the same thing in 04/05, and then came crawling right back in 05/06.

The thing is, the league has got huge growth momentum right now. I don't know why they would want to hurt that. Especially in fragile markets that are just beginning to adopt the NHL as a top sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.