The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Changing hockey as we know it.

zombieksa

So this is merely a discussion of something you would love changed about professional hockey. It can be a rule change, a roster change, anything that would never happen in the NHL but would make hockey seem new. Now I am not saying "I wish they would include snowmobiles" would be a viable discussion point, but more along the lines of:

- I wish that we had 3 30 minute periods, or 4 20 minute periods as the wear and tear of the game would cause higher scoring games.

OR

- I wish there were 4 pairs of D on a roster; and a 13th forward

two changes I would love to see to the game, what about you?

No offense but with a already grueling 82 game sched, we don't need to add more playing time it will just wear the players out more, and I think that's a bit much for the defense pairs, 2 of them would barley play, and one would hardly play at all.

Just my take on your suggestions.

I think we need hybrid icing as Don Cherry always says and talks about and I agree 100% there is no reason for these guys to get hurt like that it is just plain stupid.

Edit: Great thread btw.

To your periods idea, most Canucks games its hard to even sit through a period, cough cough Columbus... St.Louis, ect.

No thanks, the games take up enough time in my day, I wouldnt want to spend another 1.5 hours watching, and 2 if it still goes to OT and SO.

I really cant think of anything I'd change at this point. But I'll come back if I think of anything.

I think the rules that are enforced and upheld for 82 regular season games should carry over into the playoffs.

Enough of this BS of "Oh thoes 16 games that count the most, we are just going to not enforce penalties"

I'm sick of seeing terrible goon hockey take over when it wasn't allowed before.

They've tossed around the idea of 15min quarters, but 20mins? No go. Tv contracts.

I would restrict equipment so the game is played in the same style as it was in the golden age. Helmets still in, of course. But the padding more soft, the sticks back to wood, and the goaltending padding back to normal.

Time for the Nhl and players to realize that it's not the equipment that makes the game more entertaining.

However, this won't fly as it will be deemed as de-evolving. But is it de-evolving? Or purifying?

Lots of sports have far stricter rules on equipment than hockey. No reason for players (the Rangers only) to be wearing shot-blocking pillows on their gloves, for example.

If the league continues down their current path, we'll see sumo goalies, everyone with a helmet-breaking slapper, and nobody gets to play a full season anymore due to concussions. Time to purify the league.

Another thing i'd change is the amping of substance abuse detection. That's both the bad, illegal kind and the legal, performance-enhancing kind. Further purification of the league. Right now it's a joke how fairly obvious some players are tweaked right up. But as i've said before, it wouldn't surprise me to learn the Nhl is behind it because they like to know who's gonna win what when.

I would do international on-ice rules (13 forwards, 7 defenders, 2 goalies) for my change.

My second change would of course be a hybrid icing.

My personal 3rd change that I hope no one has thought of, would be to have potential 5-2 powerplays and even 5-1 powerplays if the defending team keeps taking penalties while on the penaly kill.

I want players to make less salary and get more performance bonuses so players would try their hardest all the time and not coast through some games. You wouldn't see players signing those huge contracts and then all the sudden sucking anymore. ( Redden, Gomez etc)

#1. Get rid of the &%#@!$* trapezoid already. It was stupid when it was introduced and it's even stupider now. Their rationale at the time was that it would increase offence, but all it's done is hindered goaltenders and caused injury.

#2. Along with #1, make goaltenders fair game outside of the crease.

#3. Get rid of the delay of game call for puck over the glass. It was fine when goaltenders did it, but penalizing players for incidental plays is silly.

#4. Hybrid icing. Self-explanatory.

#5. Get rid of the instigator rule. It's stupid.

So this is merely a discussion of something you would love changed about professional hockey. It can be a rule change, a roster change, anything that would never happen in the NHL but would make hockey seem new. Now I am not saying "I wish they would include snowmobiles" would be a viable discussion point, but more along the lines of:

- I wish that we had 3 30 minute periods, or 4 20 minute periods as the wear and tear of the game would cause higher scoring games.

OR

- I wish there were 4 pairs of D on a roster; and a 13th forward

two changes I would love to see to the game, what about you?

#1. Get rid of the &%#@!$* trapezoid already. It was stupid when it was introduced and it's even stupider now. Their rationale at the time was that it would increase offence, but all it's done is hindered goaltenders and caused injury.

#2. Along with #1, make goaltenders fair game outside of the crease.

#3. Get rid of the delay of game call for puck over the glass. It was fine when goaltenders did it, but penalizing players for incidental plays is silly.

#4. Hybrid icing. Self-explanatory.

#5. Get rid of the instigator rule. It's stupid.

Other than the hybrid icing, I'd love to see a shortened schedule. To say...70 games? And it's just an idea but how about best of 5 series for the first two rounds of the playoffs.

This may be a flame-inducing idea because hey, who wants less hockey, right? I figure a slightly shortened season/playoff would cut down on injury and it would be nice to see lord stanley handed out before i really feel i should be at a beach suntanning.

Hybrid icing NEEDS to be implemented. Kurtis Foster/Taylor Fedun injuries can be prevented so easily.

I also would like the proposed realignment from earlier this year. Having your division based on time zone (+/- 1 hour in some cases) would greatly relieve some stress on the players.

Archived