#62 NoShowWilly

NoShowWilly

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Why was Kassian suspended?

threw his stick in the penalty box and it hit an off-ice official.

Edited by NoShowWilly, 09 November 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#63 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Why was Kassian suspended?

Threw his stick at a horrible call, ended up hitting an official.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#64 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

How'd Rodin do, this game kinda seemed like his big shot to me and things don't sound so good just from looking at the score.

#65 Rollieo Del Fuego

Rollieo Del Fuego

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

How'd Rodin do, this game kinda seemed like his big shot to me and things don't sound so good just from looking at the score.

Had and assist and was a 0 for plus minus which considering the score, pretty good stats.

#66 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Had and assist and was a 0 for plus minus which considering the score, pretty good stats.

Oh sounds good thanks.

#67 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

Sucks we couldn't watch the game online (for free :) ) But I didn't have to watch to know Tanev was likely the best d-man on the ice tonight..... again.

Since him and Connauton have been de-paired, Connautons been a little lost (-4 in last 3 games). I think Arniel would be best served by putting them back together and riding them 24 TOI a night.

#68 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Any highlights yet? I'm interested to see how Schroeder, Rodin and Tanev did.

zackass.png

#69 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Sucks we couldn't watch the game online (for free :) ) But I didn't have to watch to know Tanev was likely the best d-man on the ice tonight..... again.

Since him and Connauton have been de-paired, Connautons been a little lost (-4 in last 3 games). I think Arniel would be best served by putting them back together and riding them 24 TOI a night.

I had high hopes for this guy, but it doesn't seem he can put it together in the defensive end of the rink. I could see the Canucks perhaps carry him as a # 6 with limited minutes, and then give him minutes on the powerplay. I hope he can turn it around.
:towel:

#70 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,154 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

Wow did our goalies and D stink it up tonight. Seriously, Eddie Lack is far from NHL-ready and if you think he can handle 20 games as Schneider's backup you've just got to look at games like these.

The kid has never really shone in the AHL anyway, I'm not sure why anyone thinks he's ready. Schneider was ready when he came into the NHL as a backup because he was the AHL's best goalie and played well for a full season or two. Meanwhile Lack has been playing around .500 hockey most of his AHL career and hasn't played more than 53 games so hasn't even had full-time experience. His numbers have actually gotten worse over the last 3 years so I for one don't want to see him in a Canucks uniform until he can put together one or two successful, full-time starter seasons in the AHL.

As for the rest of the team, Schroeder looks like he's heating up - been a point-a-game player over the last six or seven games now and looks like he's been improving every year in the AHL, and Tanev somehow finishes a game where we were shot down with 7 goals as a +1 with 1 assist, giving him a little point streak going and 4 points in 10 games.
Posted Image

#71 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

I think Scotty was banking on K-Conn being good enough to anchor his own pairing after seeing him play well for the last little stretch of games. Apparently he's not ready for that yet.

Really, Tanev is probably only 1 of 2 consistently steady D-men the Wolves have.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#72 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

5 of the goals scored against Lack.

Pretty much the Admirals were able to walk right in on Lack all night. Sure they could have used a couple big saves on those plays, but bottom line is, they weren't gonna win that game with the way they were playing.

Edited by DeNiro, 10 November 2012 - 06:44 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#73 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Yep, the Wolves really have to shore up their game defensively or they're not going to go far in the playoffs. It's not like this team lacks talent up front, whereas there are only a few puck-movers on the back end.

And my goodness, could that play-by-play guy's voice be ANY more obnoxious when they score?

#74 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Anyone got the goals the wolves scored, or just the highlights?

#75 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

Wow did our goalies and D stink it up tonight. Seriously, Eddie Lack is far from NHL-ready and if you think he can handle 20 games as Schneider's backup you've just got to look at games like these.

The kid has never really shone in the AHL anyway, I'm not sure why anyone thinks he's ready. Schneider was ready when he came into the NHL as a backup because he was the AHL's best goalie and played well for a full season or two. Meanwhile Lack has been playing around .500 hockey most of his AHL career and hasn't played more than 53 games so hasn't even had full-time experience. His numbers have actually gotten worse over the last 3 years so I for one don't want to see him in a Canucks uniform until he can put together one or two successful, full-time starter seasons in the AHL.

As for the rest of the team, Schroeder looks like he's heating up - been a point-a-game player over the last six or seven games now and looks like he's been improving every year in the AHL, and Tanev somehow finishes a game where we were shot down with 7 goals as a +1 with 1 assist, giving him a little point streak going and 4 points in 10 games.

I have said that about Lack for more than a year now. However I am slowly beginning to realise that the Wolves suffer the same problem that afflicts the Canucks...........a flaky defence. Luongo has had to put up with these absent/erant defenders for years and it is a testament to his outrageous talent that he has kept us in games night after night. It scares me to think of CS in that position.......or Lack. :-(

I watched the Heat play Oklahoma last night and man to compare the Heat defence to the Wolves is like chalk and cheese. In fact I'm beginning to think we vastly overrate our prospects having watched that game. I have never seen the Wolves play with the kind of intensity shown by the Heat in any game.

Also, that game should be shown to Kesler and Booth as an example of how to transition the puck up the ice.......The passing of the heat players especially was mesmerising and reminded me of the Wings at their best.

One thing for sure, without getting too pessimistic..........we must savour every minute the Twins play from now to the end of their career because I see nothing like them in the pipeline.
Kevin.jpg

#76 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Different team without Kass in the lineup.

#77 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

I have said that about Lack for more than a year now. However I am slowly beginning to realise that the Wolves suffer the same problem that afflicts the Canucks...........a flaky defence. Luongo has had to put up with these absent/erant defenders for years and it is a testament to his outrageous talent that he has kept us in games night after night. It scares me to think of CS in that position.......or Lack. :-(

I watched the Heat play Oklahoma last night and man to compare the Heat defence to the Wolves is like chalk and cheese. In fact I'm beginning to think we vastly overrate our prospects having watched that game. I have never seen the Wolves play with the kind of intensity shown by the Heat in any game.

Also, that game should be shown to Kesler and Booth as an example of how to transition the puck up the ice.......The passing of the heat players especially was mesmerising and reminded me of the Wings at their best.

One thing for sure, without getting too pessimistic..........we must savour every minute the Twins play from now to the end of their career because I see nothing like them in the pipeline.

The heat reminded you of the wings at their best? Come on...

I agree with you about the Wolves D, it has been pretty poor lately, but it's not because we don't have good prospects. Tanev has been rock solid, and Sauve is definitely coming around. Not to mention Andersson who has impressed me quite a bit.

I'll admit Connauton has been pretty bad. But he's an offensive defenseman first and foremost, and he needs to be able to attack. But instead he's had to make up defensively for guys like Joslin and Hunt. And it's really hurting his game. He needs to be put with a solid stay at home guy like Tanev so he can have the freedom to move up the ice. He's basically like an Edler. He needs a guy like Salo to make up for his poor defensive game.

You also have to look at the Wolves team defensive game, which has been pretty poor. I mean when you have little guys like Ebbett, Sterling, Haydar, Davies, Schroeder, and Friesen doing your back-checking, odds are your going to get outmuscled by bigger teams. And the only real size they have up front is Desbiens (plug), Mallet (not used nearly enough), and Kassian (suspended last game).

I put alot of the blame for their poor play on Arniel. He seems to be unable to get the right mix of grit and skill on this team, and so alot of games, Lack has had to bail them out, and now that he's not, they're really being exposed.

And the fact that we don't have two players like the Sedins coming down the pipeline, shouldn't really be surprising. Players like them don't come around too often. It takes a couple seasons of coming near the bottom, and a little luck to replace players like them.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#78 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

The heat reminded you of the wings at their best? Come on...

I agree with you about the Wolves D, it has been pretty poor lately, but it's not because we don't have good prospects. Tanev has been rock solid, and Sauve is definitely coming around. Not to mention Andersson who has impressed me quite a bit.

I'll admit Connauton has been pretty bad. But he's an offensive defenseman first and foremost, and he needs to be able to attack. But instead he's had to make up defensively for guys like Joslin and Hunt. And it's really hurting his game. He needs to be put with a solid stay at home guy like Tanev so he can have the freedom to move up the ice. He's basically like an Edler. He needs a guy like Salo to make up for his poor defensive game.

You also have to look at the Wolves team defensive game, which has been pretty poor. I mean when you have little guys like Ebbett, Sterling, Haydar, Davies, Schroeder, and Friesen doing your back-checking, odds are your going to get outmuscled by bigger teams. And the only real size they have up front is Desbiens (plug), Mallet (not used nearly enough), and Kassian (suspended last game).

I put alot of the blame for their poor play on Arniel. He seems to be unable to get the right mix of grit and skill on this team, and so alot of games, Lack has had to bail them out, and now that he's not, they're really being exposed.

And the fact that we don't have two players like the Sedins coming down the pipeline, shouldn't really be surprising. Players like them don't come around too often. It takes a couple seasons of coming near the bottom, and a little luck to replace players like them.

Good rebuttal DN.................I'm not buying all of it though.

I really don't think Tanev has performed that well and as you say Con has been dire. Tanev needs to play with a quick covering partner like Ballard and I feel Ballard's influence on Tanev's game has been very underrated on CDC. Tanev in a Wolves jersey looks tentative and hesitant...........probably because he is covering for too many mistakes by others.

I take your point about size and frankly that is a problem that may bite us deeper down the line.

However it is an overall lack of the quick smothering physicality we seem to lack. (we seem like a very loose unit, probably down to all the new faces but to be fair they were the same last season.)

Frankly, I found it very hard to see any diminution or drop off in the Heat's game irrespective of personnel on the ice.............that is indeed masterful coaching. It was stated the Heat coach has a system and anyone who doesn't buy into it doesn't play. I found that on the basis of his teams all action, one for all, all for one, in yer face performance to be one that looks built for success.

By comparison and not just this season, we tend to defray when faced with a well organised physical team. I am only ever aware of cameo performances when I watch the Wolves and very much a variation in line quality/effectiveness.

I thought the Wings reference was maybe a step too far at the time :-)
Off course I didn't mean to compare the quality of the Heat to the Wings only the fast early passing transition moves which when done with conviction like that lays defences wide open.
Kevin.jpg

#79 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Tanev is shaky? Dude played every play off game for ~15 minutes and was -1 only once. You're on crack if you think a 22 year old who can do that against the eventual cup winners is shaky in the AHL. I suggest you double check that you've been watching the right number :P

The person who really has been blowing my mind is Sauve though. He was so highly rated, then had the accident and coaching staff, fans, everyone were saying he looked off. Like he knocked his head and lost his game. Then I started tuning into Wolves games because of the lockout and I was thinking "Damn, this kid is really good". His +/- this season? +6, best on the team.

I think the issue with this team is Arniel at the moment. It looks like he's been given a jigsaw puzzle of talent and he's not even had the sense to put the edges together.

Edited by nateb123, 16 November 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#80 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

I think the issue with this team is Arniel at the moment. It looks like he's been given a jigsaw puzzle of talent and he's not even had the sense to put the edges together.

:lol: That's one way to put it, and you wouldn't be the first to suggest the coaching has not quite been up to par.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.