Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Burrows, jersey retired or Ring of Honour?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Burrows, jersey retired or Ring of Honour? (167 member(s) have cast votes)

Ring of Honour or Jersey retired?

1. Retire his jersey (9 votes [5.39%])

Percentage of vote: 5.39%

2. Ring of Honour (57 votes [34.13%])

Percentage of vote: 34.13%

3. Neither (28 votes [16.77%])

Percentage of vote: 16.77%

4. Too early to tell (73 votes [43.71%])

Percentage of vote: 43.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Let's face it. When Burrows retires as a Canuck, this topic will come into debate in seven or eight years from now. If Burrows was to retire, would he get a jersey retired or ROH?

I know its too early to decide but lets just say he was to retire today, would you give him the honour of retiring #14 or put him into the ROH?

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#2 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

I love Burrows, but if we retire his jersey that's ridiculous.

If he continues to contribute on playoff runs in his clutch way and sticks with the Canucks for some more years, Ring of Honour.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 13 November 2012 - 12:07 PM.

Posted Image

#3 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Ring of honor would be a good idea, but retiring his jersey would be ridiculous. Jersey retirement should be reserved only for elite players.

#4 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

ROH

Same goes for Kesler unless he carries us to the cup and hoists it (almost did it once). Along with a few 30-40+ goal seasons.

Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#5 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,477 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Neither.

Greg Adams?
Posted Image

#6 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Seriously. Burrows is my favourite current Canuck but you have to be insane to think his jersery deserves to be retired. If Burrows is the standard for players who get their jersery's retired then should we retire Keslers too? At that rate will run out of numbers to retire before we ever win a cup.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#7 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,256 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Let's wait until he plays out his career here, at which point we'll celebrate his accomplishments. Impossible to know at this point, as he's right in the thick of things and this party ain't over yet.

I say we elect him Prime Minister, put a large statue of him on the roof at GM Place and name every baby that is born after him. For a start....

Posted Image

#8 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

I'm not supporting retiring #14 but you know as well as I do that there are some fans out there that want his jersey retired

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#9 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

That's what happens when we lower the standard by retiring Naslund.... he didn't bleed for this team like Smyl and Linden.

#10 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Let's face it. When Burrows retires as a Canuck, this topic will come into debate in seven or eight years from now. If Burrows was to retire, would he get a jersey retired or ROH?

I know its too early to decide but lets just say he was to retire today, would you give him the honour of retiring #14 or put him into the ROH?

Like you said, too early to tell. If you want to be hypothetical though, atleast list his accomplishments up until he retired.
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#11 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Like you said, too early to tell. If you want to be hypothetical though, atleast list his accomplishments up until he retired.

I'm assuming everyone on here knows what Burrows has done for us already.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#12 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

It's easy to forget about some things, if you want to try to convince us his jersey should be retired or ROH then you should tell us why.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#13 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

ROH for sure.
Posted Image

#14 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

It's easy to forget about some things, if you want to try to convince us his jersey should be retired or ROH then you should tell us why.

I'm not convincing anyone. I'm just asking a question trying to create a conversation. Nowhere in my first post did I try to make an argument about either side.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#15 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

There should not be any jerseys in the rafters unless a Stanley Cup has been won. No Linden, no Smyl, no Naslund, no Bure.

ROH is a great idea, fill it up with anyone noteworthy. But the fact that there are currently 3 jerseys hanging up in Rogers Arena, next to 0 Stanley Cup banners, is pretty laughable.

#16 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

RoH. He's not even close to being worthy of a jersey retirement: he hasn't won any individual prizes, he hasn't been captain, he hasn't even been our best player any season he's played here...

I don't mean to bash him, just being realistic...

#17 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Original post suggested we would be talking about 7-8 years from now, yes everyone should know who Alex Burrows is and what he has done, but nobody knows what his future is.
If we are strictly speaking if he retired now, well with his accomplishments to date and his length of stay to date.....Neither.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#18 gocanuckzgo

gocanuckzgo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

The rafters should be reserved for hockey players, not divers. If Burrow cleans up his act, and plays hockey from here on out, then maybe, otherwise... hell no.

#19 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

There should not be any jerseys in the rafters unless a Stanley Cup has been won. No Linden, no Smyl, no Naslund, no Bure.

ROH is a great idea, fill it up with anyone noteworthy. But the fact that there are currently 3 jerseys hanging up in Rogers Arena, next to 0 Stanley Cup banners, is pretty laughable.

Not laughable IMO.
The orginization is showing respect and appreciation to "Great" players who brought heart, soul and determination to the team and kept people entertained and believing.

#20 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

ROH, only. And even then, maybe not
Posted Image

#21 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

if anything ROH we can't retire everybody's jerseys after Bure I don't see jerseys being retired unless the same Sedin is on the back of it.

#22 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I'm not supporting retiring #14 but you know as well as I do that there are some fans out there that want his jersey retired

Some fans want a lot of things, it doesn't mean we need to humour them all. As others have said, let's see what he does for the rest of his career here (particularly with his shiny new contract) before we make any judgements about his legacy as a Canuck.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#23 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Let's wait until he plays out his career here, at which point we'll celebrate his accomplishments. Impossible to know at this point, as he's right in the thick of things and this party ain't over yet.

I say we elect him Prime Minister, put a large statue of him on the roof at GM Place and name every baby that is born after him. For a start....

This year the party has not even started .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#24 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,654 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Totally agreed on all your points Deb, especially the last sentence. Prime Minister Alexandre Burrows sounds sexy ;)

Way too early to tell right now. He's entering what I would consider to be the prime years of his career. We need to wait for them to play out before we judge one way or another.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#25 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

He's been a great clutch player, but he's not even close to jersey retirement yet. Not even Ring of Honour yet in my mind. If he has 4 more good years, then maybe the Ring of Honour.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#26 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

But the fact that there are currently 3 jerseys hanging up in Rogers Arena, next to 0 Stanley Cup banners, is pretty laughable.

Tell that to the Blues and Sabres. Both have 0 cups and each have retired 6 jerseys.

#27 CmdrAdama

CmdrAdama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

As of right now, MAYBE ROH. It's far too soon to tell what's going to happen in the next few years. I do not see a retirement, no matter how many dragons he may slay with clutch, edge-of-your-seat, 'get on my back boys, n watch this', series winning goals. Unless, of course, it's a string of Cup winning goals...

Let's see that Stanley Cup Champion banner, first.

#28 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

are we still doing the ROH it was done for like 1 year then nothing

#29 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

I'm gonna say neither. Just because he's a fan favorite doesn't necessarily mean he's good enough for either honor.

/=S=/

#30 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Burrows at this point in his career is a poor man's Greg Adams.

Adams was known for driving the net and consistent scoring.

Adams scored clutch playoff goals too. Triple OT in round 3 to knock off the Leafs. Double OT in game 1 of the 94 finals.

There is no chatter at all of retiring his number or ROH for Adams. This alone speaks volumes for Burr's chances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.