The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Company collects data on millions of illegal downloaders in first step to crack down on piracy in Canada

aGENT

Unless you can count your downloads in Gb/hour I think you are ok... I download a tv show a week (fringe) and an album every few weeks. I think I'm ok.

Hmm...with Hulu and XBMC, you could just as easily stream the latest shows. So many streaming sites and streaming apps available that would stream at 1080P. I don't even have cable because I got AMC HD on my XBMC.

$5,000 per offense or total suit?

The copy of the bill online says as follows:

38.1 (1) Subject to this section, a copyright owner may elect, at any time before final judgment is rendered, to recover, instead of damages and profits referred to in subsection 35(1), an award of statutory damages for which any one infringer is liable individually, or for which any two or more infringers are liable jointly and severally,

(a) in a sum of not less than $500 and not more than $20,000 that the court considers just, with respect to all infringements involved in the proceedings for each work or other subject-matter, if the infringements are for commercial purposes; and

(b) in a sum of not less than $100 and not more than $5,000 that the court considers just, with respect to all infringements involved in the proceedings for all works or other subject-matter, if the infringements are for non-commercial purposes.

The 'for all works' part makes it sound like it's 5000 for the whole suit and not for each movie.

I want to know who doesn't download movies, TV shows, Video games, songs etc? I think they would be in minority.

Guess I'm in the minority then.

I was on Napster for a bit when it got popular in the late 90s/early 2000s and bought what I liked. Honestly now, bands are proactive enough to have good previews of albums, most tv shows I miss episodes of I can watch streamed on the network site, and movies I'll take the chance or do the research when purchasing.

Everyone says that the death of music/movie industry is from it's refusal to jump on the digital bandwagon. Although they are slow to get on they are pretty much there now. Personally, I think the death of the music/movie industry can be blamed on cell phones. What used to get spent on albums and movies, now pays the cell phone bill.

I don't get how people think it's not stealing. Just because it's easy to do and a lot of people do it, doesn't make it right. Are you a monster for doing it? No. But you're getting something for free that wasn't meant to be free.

Guess I'm in the minority then.

I was on Napster for a bit when it got popular in the late 90s/early 2000s and bought what I liked. Honestly now, bands are proactive enough to have good previews of albums, most tv shows I miss episodes of I can watch streamed on the network site, and movies I'll take the chance or do the research when purchasing.

Everyone says that the death of music/movie industry is from it's refusal to jump on the digital bandwagon. Although they are slow to get on they are pretty much there now. Personally, I think the death of the music/movie industry can be blamed on cell phones. What used to get spent on albums and movies, now pays the cell phone bill.

I don't get how people think it's not stealing. Just because it's easy to do and a lot of people do it, doesn't make it right. Are you a monster for doing it? No. But you're getting something for free that wasn't meant to be free.

Well, I do stream too but am talking about the general population who don't stream and download contents. Although you are right, and people are starting to stream contents more. I don't download either since I mainly stream everything except maybe songs.

yaaaaaaaaaaaawn

statements like this are released every few months, and nothing comes of it

even if they do follow through, it's nothing a VPN can't fix

With Netflix, Hulu and XBMC getting more popular, people will start streaming contents more than they would download.

Archived