The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Company collects data on millions of illegal downloaders in first step to crack down on piracy in Canada

aGENT

A guy i work with downloads most of every day and has a pirated collection of over 250,000 songs, countless movies and every hacked program under the sun.  It would take 3 solid years of 24/7 playing time to listen to all that music.  Ridiculous.

I'd say that guys like him are the target.  Digital hoarders.

Wow. His wife/fiance/girlfriend is a lucky girl.

Guest Gumballthechewy

A guy i work with downloads most of every day and has a pirated collection of over 250,000 songs, countless movies and every hacked program under the sun. It would take 3 solid years of 24/7 playing time to listen to all that music. Ridiculous.

I'd say that guys like him are the target. Digital hoarders.

Exactly!

I've illegally downloaded a handful of things throughout my life and none of which is still on my computer.

Like someone posted before, I download things for a trail run, if I like it I'll buy it, if I don't I delete it.

I've been downloading episodes of the Amazing Race because this season it hasn't seemed to start at the proper time more than once so I end up with like 25 minutes of f'ing 60 minutes on my G.D. PVR and only 35 minutes of the show. PISSES ME OFF TO NO END.

Ok my Shaw PVR does this too. Either doesnt record at the beginning or misses part at the end from time to time and its annoying as hell.

I rarely download music now, its much more convenient to buy it through my iPhone on iTunes. If I do happen to download an album now usually I just buy it through my phone later. Its funny how many artists DONT care if you download their stuff since they make next to nothing through selling CDs/digital files, etc. and make 99% of their money through concerts anyways.

Only thing I download consistantly now is Sons of Anarchy and thats because Shaw doesn't offer it but I also own each season on bluray after the season ended and it comes to DVD.

Well, most people that I know are criminals since they just download bunch of movies from torrents. I even know a vet who makes 6 figures and has 3 beamers yet he downloads a bunch of movies each week to watch from the comfort of his house. My point is that you might be in the minority when it comes to this. I personally don't download because I want everything on demand and thats why I have Netflix and go to streaming sites. People still download movies and songs but I think with the increase in internet speeds, everyone will eventually be streaming via Hulu, Pandora, XBMC, Netflix etc.

Whats the best hardware to put XBMC on to watch on your TV? I know I can order an Apple TV2 from the USA for about $150 and do it but is their other hardware that works better with HDMI (ATV2 doesn't have HDMI if I am not mistakened).

With Netflix, Hulu and XBMC getting more popular, people will start streaming contents more than they would download.

i'm not familiar with hulu and xbmc..are these like netflix? hows the selections in canada using these two?

I tried netflix canada, but the selections are very limited.

i'm not familiar with hulu and xbmc..are these like netflix? hows the selections in canada using these two?

Google how to get american netflix in canada, trust me its worth it. Much better selection.

That is exactly what they are doing. It's almost entrapment...pretty close...

thats just it wait until the first case goes to court and they are ordered to disclose exactly how they obtained a list of who DL'ed the movies....

and if they are the ones putting the movies online ( almost have to be because no one else would)

they are releasing there works to the freedom of the internet. and whould have no case if there works were not there they couldn't be taken.

if i put a 20$ bill on the ground at the mall and sit down and wait until someone picks it up can i have them arrested for stealing.?

Heck even if they are not the ones putting it online.

say someone else takes my 20$ puts it on the ground and someone else picks it up before i can, can i have the person picking up the money charged with stealing.?

What if they didn't steal it but it was given to them with the understanding they would use that 20$ for there personal use and then put it on the ground for someone else to find/take/use/ etc.

how much of the stuff was stolen befor being place online?

Ok my Shaw PVR does this too. Either doesnt record at the beginning or misses part at the end from time to time and its annoying as hell.

I rarely download music now, its much more convenient to buy it through my iPhone on iTunes. If I do happen to download an album now usually I just buy it through my phone later. Its funny how many artists DONT care if you download their stuff since they make next to nothing through selling CDs/digital files, etc. and make 99% of their money through concerts anyways.

Only thing I download consistantly now is Sons of Anarchy and thats because Shaw doesn't offer it but I also own each season on bluray after the season ended and it comes to DVD.

Whats the best hardware to put XBMC on to watch on your TV? I know I can order an Apple TV2 from the USA for about $150 and do it but is their other hardware that works better with HDMI (ATV2 doesn't have HDMI if I am not mistakened).

You can just put it in an HTPC. I just use my laptop which has HDMI to connect to my TV. Apple TV is probably your best bet and you can get one for $99. I just add on Navi-X and get everything on it.

Hulu is similar to Netflix but it is mainly good for viewing recent TV shows or movies that were shown on TV. Netflix has contents that were not shown on TV and has better movie selection. XBMC is an open source program where you could add-on other programs to it. It is used to navigate through all your media such as pictures, music, movies and everything else you have on your computer.

I have Unblock-Us service and can get all of the US content here. Hulu is for watching all the TV shows that you might've missed (no need for PVR). XBMC with Navi-X add-on will give you all the movies including new releases and the ones currently playing in theaters in SD, 720P and 1080P along with almost all the channels that exists which include Setanta HD, Fox sports, ESPN, CNN, HBO, CINEMAX and too many channels to list here. Then I have Pandora for on-demand music selection. Then I also have Netflix to watch foreign movies and movies that are hard to find on net. The best thing is to use Unblock-Us for $4.99/month and have the ability to use pandora, US Netflix and Hulu. XBMC doesn't need the Unblock-Us service and can be used in any country. With all these services, I don't have cable TV and don't need PVR to record anything since everything I need is on demand right at my finger tip. I don't waste my HDD space to download stuff either unless am burning a music CD.

I've had that issue with some channels as well. It's not the PVR's issue, its the networks. Spike for instance is really bad for starting shows a few minutes early or a few minutes late. You can go in and set the PVR to start recording early and to run late.

On the channels I know that do this I set the PVR to record 5 to 10 minutes before the show is scheduled to start and then 5 to 10 minutes late.

Management eats up a lot of that money for CDs/digital files. The trickle down effect never works.

We had a phone call the other day about a download.

My friend was over & downloaded WWE Survivor Series on our wifi. I freaked him out pretty good. Told him we'd be giving him an invoice to cover the $5000 charge, my dad will be dropping by your home to discuss everything with you.

That was a 3rd situation where they have notified us about an illegal download. They never do anything though.

You can just put it in an HTPC. I just use my laptop which has HDMI to connect to my TV. Apple TV is probably your best bet and you can get one for $99. I just add on Navi-X and get everything on it.

Haha yea my laptop can barely run youtube videos without lagging so I am sure I wouldnt want to hook it up to my TV haha. Yea probably will go the apple TV route after christmas.

Haha yea my laptop can barely run youtube videos without lagging so I am sure I wouldnt want to hook it up to my TV haha. Yea probably will go the apple TV route after christmas.

You can jailbreak your Apple TV and put XBMC on there.

Here is some instructions:

Apple TV with XBMC and NAVI-X

Hulu is similar to Netflix but it is mainly good for viewing recent TV shows or movies that were shown on TV. Netflix has contents that were not shown on TV and has better movie selection. XBMC is an open source program where you could add-on other programs to it. It is used to navigate through all your media such as pictures, music, movies and everything else you have on your computer.

I have Unblock-Us service and can get all of the US content here. Hulu is for watching all the TV shows that you might've missed (no need for PVR). XBMC with Navi-X add-on will give you all the movies including new releases and the ones currently playing in theaters in SD, 720P and 1080P along with almost all the channels that exists which include Setanta HD, Fox sports, ESPN, CNN, HBO, CINEMAX and too many channels to list here. Then I have Pandora for on-demand music selection. Then I also have Netflix to watch foreign movies and movies that are hard to find on net. The best thing is to use Unblock-Us for $4.99/month and have the ability to use pandora, US Netflix and Hulu. XBMC doesn't need the Unblock-Us service and can be used in any country. With all these services, I don't have cable TV and don't need PVR to record anything since everything I need is on demand right at my finger tip. I don't waste my HDD space to download stuff either unless am burning a music CD.

I've tried using XBMC and I can't seem to get it to work. I am able to add the repositories but when I go to watch them 95% of the streams didn't work. I got an error saying the plug in didn't work so I figure I must have done something wrong. Did you run in to this problem or do you know a way to fix it?

I've had that issue with some channels as well. It's not the PVR's issue, its the networks. Spike for instance is really bad for starting shows a few minutes early or a few minutes late. You can go in and set the PVR to start recording early and to run late.

On the channels I know that do this I set the PVR to record 5 to 10 minutes before the show is scheduled to start and then 5 to 10 minutes late.

Problem is, in the case of Amazing Race...it seems to be different every week. Some weeks it starts 5 minutes late, some it's closer to a half hour. It's ridiculous.

The law has been up for about a month or two,they're probably targetting people within that window. The problem they face is that it really wouldn't be worth it to take someone to court for 5000, considering that it's also likely they wouldn't even win that much. If you ever get a letter and a demand for money, I think it's been suggested that you actually just take it to court. Though, if they come at you with a bunch, then yeah, it's probably going to suck.

It's still really a pain in the ass though as far as downloading stuff goes, because it's entirely possible that ISP companies could turn around eventually and threaten to cut you off the internet so they don't have to deal with being hassled.

Though, it should be said, that while the 'wifi' defense can bring up, if you get technical, they'd be able to tell with the MAC address who downloads what. And VPN or not, firewalls or proxy things or not, it's still not impossible for them to make a line to you. It's not to scare people off from downloading, just saying use common sense.

Archived