Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Man Finds His Doppelganger in 16th Century Italian Painting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 dudeone

dudeone

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

By

Eliza Murphy

Man Finds His Doppelganger in 16th Century Italian Painting

http://abcnews.go.co...alian-painting/

Posted Image
Courtesy Nikkie Curtis

What started out as a leisurely stroll through the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Nov. 11 with his girlfriend, quickly turned into quite a surreal experience for Max Galuppo, 20, of Bloomsbury, N.J.
Galuppo, a Temple University student, found his doppelganger in a 16th century Italian painting by an unknown artist titled “Portrait of a Nobleman with Dueling Gauntlet.”

“It was really weird. He goes to Temple so we’d been saying for a while we wanted to go to the art museum,” his girlfriend, Nikkie Curtis, told ABCNews.com. “We went into the armor exhibit and he loved the helmets. He was completely oblivious to it, and I walked past it and was like, ‘Do you see this painting right now? It looks just like you.’”

Although Galuppo’s resemblance to the dark haired, huskily built, bearded face seems obvious to the 735 Reddit users who have commented on the photo since Curtis uploaded it to the site late Sunday night, Galuppo, at first, said he failed to recognize the similarity.

“To be honest, I didn’t see it. I didn’t see the resemblance,” Galuppo said. “And then I saw the picture of me next to it, and you can’t deny that.”

The couple had no idea the photo would garner so much attention, but is enjoying the humor people are getting out of it. Galuppo has even been propositioned to pose with the portrait, painted in 1562, again, in full matching attire.

“Someone on on Reddit actually offered to make a costume for it. If we could find a costume, he’d be 110 percent behind that idea. He would definitely do it,” Curtis said.

Once the photo started swirling around the Internet, Galuppo decided he should probably look into the portrait’s history a bit more, which actually proved quite enlightening to him.

“It’s actually funny because I tried to research the painting as much as I could. There’s not a lot of information from it. The area that the painting is from in Italy, that area is actually where my grandparents are from. I might check out Ancestry.com to see if there’s a relationship,” Galuppo said.
The museum acquired the portrait as part of the John G. Johnson collectionin 1917.

#2 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,646 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

If you ever been to the Vatican you will have seen a nice painting of Sylvester Stallone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by theminister, 28 November 2012 - 05:58 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#3 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hahaha that's awesome!
Posted Image

#4 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

:lol: Pretty cool

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#5 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,806 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

dop·pel·gäng·er or dop·pel·gang·er (dPosted ImagepPosted ImagePosted Imagel-gPosted ImagengPosted ImagePosted Imager, -gPosted ImagengPosted Image-)
n.
A ghostly double of a living person, especially one that haunts its fleshly counterpart.

I don't think doppelganger is the word they're looking for here...

#6 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,806 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

dp

Edited by nucklehead, 28 November 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#7 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,543 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#8 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

P.S. Warning: The song has "naughty" words. But, it's Zeromancer, so that's okay. :wub:

Edited by EX_Bert_Worshipper, 28 November 2012 - 11:08 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

lol in both cases, these guys are Italian. People of Italian heritage have A LOT of similar traits. Funny how genetics work

#10 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

you'd have thought he'd have gotten better looking through the centuries.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#11 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,806 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

^ Nope, looks like you're stuck with your homely mug for eternity.

#12 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,140 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

lol in both cases, these guys are Italian. People of Italian heritage have A LOT of similar traits. Funny how genetics work

So you mean with every ethnicity there are "A LOT of similar traits" as well? Funny how that works eh?

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#13 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

Doppelganger is an awesome word
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#14 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

All Italians look the same anyway, can't tell any of them apart.

Jagermeister.jpg

#15 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

dop·pel·gäng·er or dop·pel·gang·er (dPosted ImagepPosted ImagePosted Imagel-gPosted ImagengPosted ImagePosted Imager, -gPosted ImagengPosted Image-)
n.
A ghostly double of a living person, especially one that haunts its fleshly counterpart.

I don't think doppelganger is the word they're looking for here...

Main Entry: dop·pel·gäng·er
Variant(s): or dop·pel·gang·er \ˈdä-pəl-ˌgaŋ-ər, -ˌgeŋ-, ˌdä-pəl-ˈ\
Function: noun
Etymology: German Doppelgänger, from doppel- double + -gänger goer
Date: 1851
1 : a ghostly counterpart of a living person
2 a : double 2a b : alter ego b c : a person who has the same name as another

http://i.word.com/id...

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 29 November 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#16 TheGreatDane36

TheGreatDane36

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

reminds me of the giguere lookalike czar nicolas
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.