The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/12/15/nancy_lanza_school_teacher_sandy_hook_elementary_shooting.html

Initial reports said that Nancy Lanza was a teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary, where Adam Lanza went on a shooting rampage and killed 20 children and six adults Friday. Now it isn’t clear whether that’s the case and so far officials have failed to clarify the situation. A former Newtown school board official told the Wall Street Journal that “no one has heard of her,” adding that “teachers don’t know her.” The Associated Press reports that at least one parent identified Nancy Lanza as a substitute teacher at the school but her name isn’t on a staff list and an official said they have so far been unable to establish a connection between her and the school.

The two semiautomatic pisols and .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle Lanza used in the shooting were registered to his mother, whom several witnesses identified as an avid gun collector. She apparently taught her kids how to shoot the guns. The owner of a landscaping business who recently decorated her yard for Christmas tells Reuters she once showed him a “really nice, high-end rifle” that she purchased. “She said she would often go target shooting with her kids.”

Meanwhile, authorities failed to release a list of victims Saturday morning as had been widely expected, although they promised one would be forthcoming. So far, officials have found “very good evidence in this investigation that our investigators will be able to use in, hopefully, painting the complete picture as to howand more importantly whythis occurred,” said state police Lt. Paul Vance. He also added that investigators have determined Lanza forced his way into the school and was not let inside by anyone.

NBC News is now reporting that Adam Lanza who is identified as the shooter had four handguns (and a rifle left in the car) when he forced his way into the school.

He is alleged to have had an altercation with four teachers previously at the school and three of the four were killed while the fourth happened to be absent on the day of the shooting.

He also apparently tried to buy a rifle and was refused.

The gunman in the Newtown massacre tried unsuccessfully to buy a rifle three days before he killed 20 children, six adults and himself at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Connecticut and federal officials told NBC News Saturday.

Adam Lanza, 20, went to a Dick's Sporting Goods store in Danbury, Conn., on Tuesday to buy the weapon, but was turned down because he didn't want to undergo a background check or abide by the state's waiting period for gun sales, the officials said.

Still, Lanza was heavily armed when he forced his way into the school Friday morning – after killing his mother at their home in Newtown.

The officials said he had four handguns on him as he stormed the 600-student school and shot his victims – clustered in two classrooms – at close range. There was a rifle found in the car he drove to Sandy Hook.

Previously, officials had said Lanza was armed with two pistols as he rampaged through the suburban school and that the weapons were legally purchased and registered to his mother, Nancy.

At a Saturday briefing, Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance said officials were tracing every weapon connected to the shooter.

The motive for the mass killing was unknown, but officials told NBC's Pete Williams that they were investigating whether Lanza is the person who had an "altercation" with four staff members at the school on Thursday.

Three of the four were killed Friday in one of the worst school shootings in U.S. history. The fourth staff member was not at school that day and is being interviewed by federal and state investigators, Williams said.

Authorities have finished the heart-wrenching task of identifying the dead and said they would soon release the names.

The bodies have been removed from the school and taken to the medical examiner's office, but it could take at least two more days for investigators to finish combing over the crime scene.

“We’ve been doing everything we need to do to peel back the onion, layer by layer, and get more information,” Vance said.

Investigators have already compiled “very good evidence” that can be used to make a “complete picture” of the slaughter and the suspect, Vance said.

Police have also determined Lanza, 20, was not buzzed into Sandy Hook, where he was once a student.

“He forced his way into the school,” Vance said. He did not provide specifics and said that broken windows at the school may have been shattered by police who responded to the emergency.

Several officials told NBC News that once Lanza was inside, he shot the 20 children at close range.

http://usnews.nbcnew...e-shooting?lite

Articles with background info on Adam Lanza and his family:

http://abcnews.go.co...72#.UMzP6-TAcrU

http://news.national...so-very-remote/

http://www.huffingto..._n_2306736.html

I think what I find most alarming about this is for me is that I feel absolutely no sadness or sympathy for the families or kids. It`s terrible it happened to them, I wish it never would have happened, but I literally feel​ nothing. I never do anymore. I am completely devoid of empathy. I read people posts about being in tears and could never imagine actually being sad enough about anything like this to actually personally care.

I have no idea what`s wrong with me. I am disgust with my self.

Archived