The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

ATLANTA — Every time Victor Cruz went back to the Giants bench and sat down, his eyes immediately fell to his feet and his hands. It’s hard to imagine anyone in the Georgia Dome — not his teammates, his coaches, the fans or the Falcons — were feeling as much emotional weight as Cruz was feeling at those moments.

“Jack Pinto, My Hero” was written on one of his cleats and “R.I.P Jack Pinto” on the other. On the back of his gloves, Cruz wrote “Jack Pinto This one is 4 U.!” Cruz was paying tribute to 6-year-old Jack Pinto, one of the 20 children killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Friday. The wide receiver spoke to the family on Saturday night and discovered that Pinto was such a Cruz fan the family is considering burying the child in a Cruz jersey.

MYERS: TRAGEDY PUTS GAME IN PERSPECTIVE

“There are no words that can describe the type of feeling you get when a kid idolizes you so much that they want to, unfortunately, put him in a casket with your jersey on,” Cruz said. “I can’t even explain it.”

The acknowledgement felt strange. The tribute felt good. And then the outcome felt bad. Cruz experienced one of the worst days of his pro career, catching three passes for 15 yards and the Giants lost 34-0 their first regular-season shutout loss since 1996.

“I’m pretty down to say the least,” Cruz said after the game. “It’s a game that we needed and it’s a game that we wanted to play well in. Unfortunately we didn’t do that at all. To compound that with the tribute that I paid to Jack today, it’s unfortunate. I’m sad about it. As an athlete, we have to go through it and get over it, and as a person I have to keep plugging and understand that I did something good for a good family.”

It was the culmination of an emotional 24-hour period for Cruz, whose personable nature has made him one of the most popular Giants in the last two years. He became aware of Jack Pinto after his Twitter feed started to blow up with talk that the 6-year-old had been one of his biggest fans. He instructed his fiancée/publicist, Elaina Watley, to find the family. It took her 20 minutes. She asked the family members if they wanted to talk to Cruz. They did.

“I was in the hotel (in Atlanta) and as I was talking to them I was fighting back tears. You could hear everybody in the background crying as well. It was tough to listen to,” Cruz said.

He spoke to Pinto’s 11-year-old brother, who was obviously distraught.

“He could barely speak to me. I was just talking to him, telling him to stay strong, to stay positive and I’m going to help the family any way I can,’’ Cruz said.

All those emotions came flooding back when Cruz went to write the tribute on his cleats and gloves – something that came to him immediately. “It was emotional,’’ Cruz said of taking out the black Sharpie to write his tribute messages. “I was fighting back tears to do it. It felt good.’’

It is not an easy thing for an athlete to perform under such emotional stress.

“It’s tough. If anything you try to play for that kid. I’m sure that’s what Victor tried to do. You try to go out and perform,’’ said Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez. “I don’t want to overstate what we do. It is just a football game in the end, but it does give people a nice escape to go out and enjoy themselves and have a little bit of peace.’’

As soon as the impact of the tragedy struck on Friday, Cruz did what most parents did. He grabbed hold of his 11-month old daughter, Kennedy, and hugged her close and tight.

“That night I put my daughter in the bed with me and we slept together, even though that was a mission within itself,” he said. “We slept together that night and it was a good feeling and it was one that I cherished.”

It has not been an easy year for Cruz, who is still grieving the death of his grandmother, Lucy Molina, who died in September. He does his post-touchdown salsa dance to honor her.

“It’s been an emotional year for me, leading up to this point,’’ he said. “It’s just a matter of getting through it. I have a good support system at home. They’ve been helping me a lot with it. It’s tough. It’s a part of life. You have to go through ups and downs. It shows what type of person you are, what type of character you have when you proceed to go through it in your daily life. That’s what I’m trying to do.’’

It is a message he will try to convey to Jack Pinto’s family when he visits them next week and presents them with the gloves and cleats that he wore in tribute, and tries to help them make sense of something so senseless.

victor-cruz-cleats.jpg

Actually posters who mention speech do mention rights as a whole, you just have an awful selective reading problem:

Here's a post back in July about the very same thing where you spend all thread talking about how I'm some NRA hack:

Perpetuate myths all you like, thankfully there's a quote function to prove you wrong.

Prove? What does this prove? That I think you're a gun nut? Guilty as charged.

However, you have "proven me wrong" about absolutely nothing.BTW: There is nothing "selective" about my reading. The point that the other poster was replying to was one that I made specifically about the 2nd amendment. Not the Bill of Rights. Bringing up the freedom of speech angle was completely irrelevant to the point that I was making.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/austin-gun-store-owner-offers-teachers-a-discount/

Austin Gun Store Owner Offers Teachers A Discount

AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM) – An Austin-area gun store owner is joining the gun rights debate with a controversial offer for teachers in light of the tragic shooting in Connecticut.

Crocket Keller of Kellers Riverside Gun Store says if educators want to get a concealed handgun license, he’ll give them a discount.

“As we do with veterans, I would offer them a discount. Our normal rate is $110.00, so I would give them a rate of $90.00,” said Keller to KRLD. “If they are teachers, we would be more than happy to do that.”

Listen to Crocket Keller on KRLD

Keller’s offer comes as a debate wages over whether or not educators should be allowed to be armed on school grounds. He believes they should.

But not everyone is on board with Keller’s controversial ideas or his offer to teachers.“We need to start thinking out of the box and deal with this violent culture,” said Keller. “We need to lobby our various state governments to allow teachers to be armed.”

“I knew this would come up at some point, there would be people who think the answer is to put guns on campus. Frankly I think it’s absurd,” says Gayle Fallon with the American Federation of Teachers. “In a lot of cases, the perpetrator is a kid. Look at Columbine, it was a 14-year-old kid. You tell me a teacher is going to look in the eyes of a 14-year-old and pull the trigger — it’s not in their emotional make up.”

Fallon believes the answer lies in having more police officers on campus and tightening restrictions on guns. But Keller wants none of that.

“Our personal safety is our responsibility, unfortunately the police and the military cannot be everywhere,” said Keller. “When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.”

According to the latest reports an assault rifle (a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle ) was used in the Newtown shootings.

afp-us-sniper-weapon-bushmaster-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6f308816ac2a14e2a4ec

The primary weapon used in the Connecticut school massacre — a semiautomatic assault rifle — has a history in high-profile incidents of gun violence in the U.S.

The .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle also was the weapon of choice in the 2002 Washington-area sniper shootings, which left 10 dead and three wounded in a series of attacks that terrorized the capital region.

The gun, weapon analysts say, has a reputation for easy handling and deadly accuracy.

"There is an allure to this weapon that makes it unusually attractive," said Scott Knight, former chairman of the International Chiefs of Police Firearms Committee. "The way it looks, the way it handles — it screams assault weapon."

Knight, who also is police chief of Chaska, Minn., said the gun's practical application is little more than "a combat weapon."

"Simply put, it can get off a large number of rounds in a matter of seconds," Knight said. "That's what makes it attractive and also so dangerous."

In the school shooting, Connecticut Chief Medical Examiner H. Wayne Carver said all 26 victims were hit multiple times, suffering "devastating" wounds, all apparently traced to the rifle.

Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance said Sunday that the shooter used "multiple" 30-round rifle magazines in the attack.

The weapon, Carver said, delivers bullets "designed in such a fashion (that) the energy is deposited in the tissue so the bullets stay in."

http://www.usatoday....otings/1772825/

Back in 1994 President Clinton signed a federal ban on assault weapons into law but it expired in 2004 due to a sunset clause and to date efforts to revive the law have not been successful. Here were the waepons covered:

http://en.wikipedia....ult_Weapons_Ban

There were numerous loopholes in that 1994 ban and the evidence of its effect are not clear.

Here is an article that examines the 1994 law and references some studies on its effects. As the article notes Australia in the wake of a mass shooting took a much more aggressive approach that has worked.

Congress didn’t want to ban all semiautomatic weapons — that would ban most guns, period. So, in crafting the 1994 ban, lawmakers mainly focused on 18 specific firearms, as well as certain military-type features on guns. Complicated flow charts laid it all out. Certain models of AR-15s and AK-47s were banned. Any semiautomatic rifle with a pistol grip and a bayonet mount was an “assault weapon.” But a semiautomatic rifle with just a pistol grip might be okay. It was complicated. And its complexity made it easy to evade.

What did the 1994 ban actually do? For the 10 years that the ban was in effect, it was illegal to manufacture the assault weapons described above for use by private citizens. The law also set a limit on high-capacity magazines — these could now carry no more than 10 bullets.

There was, however, an important exception. Any assault weapon or magazine that was manufactured before the law went into effect in 1994 was perfectly legal to own or resell. That was a huge exception: At the time, there were roughly 1.5 million assault weapons and more than 24 million high-capacity magazines in private hands.

Did the 1994 law have loopholes? Yes, lots. Even after the ban took effect, it was not difficult for someone to get their hands on an assault weapon or high-capacity magazine.

A 2004 University of Pennsylvania study commissioned by the National Institute of Justice explained why. For starters, only 18 firearm models were explicitly banned. But it was easy for gun manufacturers to modify weapons slightly so that they didn’t fall under the ban.

Did the law have an effect on crime or gun violence? While gun violence did fall in the 1990s, this was likely due to other factors. Here’s the UPenn study again: ”We cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation’s recent drop in gun violence. And, indeed, there has been no discernible reduction in the lethality and injuriousness of gun violence.”

One reason is that assault weapons were never a huge factor in gun violence to begin with. They were used in only 2 percent to 8 percent of gun crimes. Large-capacity magazines were more important — used in as many as a quarter of gun crimes. But, again, the 1994 law left more than 24 million magazines untouched, so the impact was blunted.

Did the law have an effect on mass shootings? That’s possible, though not certain. As this chart from Princeton’s Sam Wang shows, the number of people killed in mass shootings did go down in the years the ban was in effect (save for a surge in 1999, a year that included Columbine)...

Would it be possible to tighten the law? In theory, yes. Back in 1996, Australia imposed a much stricter version of the assault weapons ban after a mass shooting. The Australian version avoided many of the loopholes in the U.S. law: Not only did the country ban all types of semiautomatic rifles and shotguns, but it also spent $500 million buying up nearly 600,000 existing guns from private owners.

As Wonkblog’s Sarah Kliff pointed out, Australia’s law appears to have curbed gun violence. Researchers in the British Medical Journal write that the ban was “followed by more than a decade free of fatal mass shootings, and accelerated declines in firearm deaths, particularly suicides.”

Still, an Australia-style ban would face much more difficult hurdles in this country. For starters, there are more than 200 million guns in circulation in the United States, making a buyback much more costly. And a full ban would likely face heavier resistance here. Even Feinstein has promised that her new version of the assault weapons ban would still “exempt over 900 specific weapons.” Gun-control advocates aren’t quite ready to propose overly sweeping measures.

http://www.washingto...ns-in-one-post/

In the wake of the Newton killings, there have been renewed calls to reinstate the federal ban.

Back during his first run President Obama had called to bring back the ban and it he has now seemed to call for a federal ban again.

Shortly after the November 4, 2008 election, Change.gov, the website of the office of then President-Elect Barack Obama, listed a detailed agenda for the forthcoming administration. The stated positions included "making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent." This statement was originally published on Barack Obama's campaign website, BarackObama.com. The agenda statement later appeared on the administration's website, WhiteHouse.gov, with its wording intact. As of October 9, 2012, the statement appeared within the Urban Policy section of Change.gov, under the heading "Address Gun Violence in Cities".

The White House said President Barack Obama supports reinstatement of a federal ban on assault weapons -- a position he took in the 2008 campaign but failed to press during his first term.

"It does remain a commitment of his," presidential spokesman Jay Carney told reporters as the nation reeled from a mass shooting in Connecticut that mainly killed school children.

http://www.wptv.com/...s#ixzz2FL1EANcY

And New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg agrees.

While Mayor Bloomberg said it is right for President Obama to console the grieving in Newtown, on the assault weapons ban he says it’s time for the president to stand up and lead.

“His views on issues like this are the right views, but the president has to translate those views into action. His job is not just to be well-meaning, his job is to perform and to protect the American public,” said Bloomberg on NBC’s “Meet The Press.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein of California is vowing to revive federal assault weapons ban - she has been pushing for the renewed ban for a number of years.

California Sen. Dianne Feinstein announced Sunday that she plans to reintroduce the assault weapons ban in the Senate.

“We’re crafting this one and it’s going to be done with care, it’ll be ready on the first day. I’ll be announcing House authors and we’ll be prepared to go. And I hope the nation will really help,” she told NBC’s “Meet The Press.”

Feinstein also said she is confident the bill will have the support of President Obama, who has previously come out in favor of re-implementing the assault weapons ban.

Independent Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman told Fox News Sunday:

“I think we ought to restore that assault weapons ban because – not to take anyone’s guns away from them that they have now, but to stop the manufacture and sale of those weapons now because look what Lanza did to these poor kids.”

“I think we need a national commission on mass violence, not to be in place of anything else the president or Congress or state governments might want to do, but to make sure that the heartbreak and the anger that we feel now is never dissipated over time or lost in legislative gridlock.”

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) on Monday said passing an assault weapon ban is "practical and feasible" in response to Friday's massacre in Newtown, Connecticut.

"I think an assault weapon ban can be revived at the federal level. I think that is practical and feasible, especially with the kind of change in debate that I would anticipate," said Blumenthal on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

Sen. Joe Manchin, (D-W.Va.) ) an avid hunter and lifelong member of the National Rifle Association which has accorded him its "A" rating in the past says it’s time for all sides in the gun policy debate to move beyond the political rhetoric and begin an honest discussion about reasonable restrictions on guns.

“Never before have we seen our babies slaughtered. It’s never happened in America that I can recall, seeing this carnage,” Manchin said. “Anybody that’s a proud gun owner, a proud member of the NRA, they’re also proud parents, they’re proud grandparents. They understand this has changed where we go from here.”

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), a staunch pro-gun rights lawmaker with an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association, said Monday that the massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., had changed his views on gun control.

"I don't know anyone in the sporting or hunting arena that goes out with an assault rifle,” Manchin said on MSNBC’s "Morning Joe" today.

"I don’t know anyone that needs 30 rounds in a clip to go hunting. I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."

Manchin said that both chambers of Congress need to have a "common-sense discussion," wherein "everything is on the table," including discussion on gun control, mental health and a "culture" of violence. On Twitter, Manchin endorsed a suggestion by outgoing Sen. Joe Lieberman to create a national commission to address mass violence.

Manchin's comments marked a significant shift for the West Virginia Democrat, who has been endorsed by the NRA in both of his campaigns for a Senate seat. He even ran a famous television ad during his 2010 special-election campaign, in which he shot a rifle at cap-and-trade legislation and promised to support gun owners' Second Amendment rights.

Manchin also urged the nation's gun lobby to be part of the discussion.

"I want to call all our friends at the NRA and sit down,” Manchin said today. "They have to be at the table. This is a time for all of us to sit down and move in a responsible manner. I think they will."

Manchin also praised Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who pledged Sunday to introduce new assault weapons legislation on the first day Congress convenes in January.

http://www.businessi...2#ixzz2FL4wifMD

This one in particular jumps out and it has received 15 likes to date:

Rev. Mark

Conspiracy theory time, since fast and furious didn't work, what better way of pushing gun control than to stage the killing of 20 innocent children so that the Obama administration could now have a platform for gun control.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/austin-gun-store-owner-offers-teachers-a-discount/#' rel="external nofollow">

Truly scary what conspiracy nuts will put forward.

Rev. Mark

Conspiracy theory time, since fast and furious didn't work, what better way of pushing gun control than to stage the killing of 20 innocent children so that the Obama administration could now have a platform for gun control.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/austin-gun-store-owner-offers-teachers-a-discount/#' rel="external nofollow">

Guest Gumballthechewy

Rev. Mark
•

Prove? What does this prove? That I think you're a gun nut? Guilty as charged.

However, you have "proven me wrong" about absolutely nothing.BTW: There is nothing "selective" about my reading. The point that the other poster was replying to was one that I made specifically about the 2nd amendment. Not the Bill of Rights. Bringing up the freedom of speech angle was completely irrelevant to the point that I was making.

Archived