The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

TSN just released their special: Top 30 Prospects

Canucks were the only Canadian team without a prospect in the top 30.

Time to face the music.Luckily,it's Christmas music and you may have bought some brandy or whiskey by now.

Hodgson got two points tonight and scored the winning goal in the shoot out. PPG + stats now.

A former Flames employee who can't even get work as a scout is clearly the most gifted at ranking prospects. Cool story bro.

Regarding your comments here how about taking a day off? You make 3 or 4 replies at a time and its just reactionary. You're trying to win a game no one else is playing. Just read the comments on here and then go away and think about them for a day. We'll wait. Hell, maybe even do some research between replies. Take the information you find and use it to develop your opinions because right now, you're a parrot. We know what a parrot has to say, they can only say so much.

We'd really like to have an interesting, reasonable discussion about this topic, because it is something we're genuinely interested in. If you're interested in that too, we'd be happy for you to join us. If not, this just continues as you and King of the ES (probably the most reviled person on this message board) giving each other pats on the back.

When a player gets benched he is not inspiring confidence in anybody.

Just because I don't agree with your BS means exactly the same thing,pal.

NHL prospects that never play in the NHL are a waste of a pick.That's how I evaluate it.

The TSN report stated the Canucks were the only Canadian team without a prospect in the top 30.

If you can actually spend some time to read it properly you might have actually understood what it meant-and implies. :sadno:

You misunderstood the post - and you use the word "troll" in a way that renders it utterly meaningless. I am fully aware that Sutter signed them - the point was that you can't look back and blame him for the Flames state of affairs when your current GM acquired a 6 million dollar 20 goal scorer (who does little else) - and overpays for another three guys on the UFA market. If you think that is the way to build a team, no wonder you're a Flames fan.

Craig Button released his list, not TSN. He's not the authority on all things prospects. His opinion isn't any more valuable than anyone's on here.

And even if you take his list at face value, who cares? Because we don't a have a prospect in a top 30 list, that means we don't have any good prospects?

You seem to have a very simplistic way of analyzing prospects. It seems like you only look at stats, and stuff that other people wrote. I actually watch these players play, and form my own opinion that way. You'll find you get a much more in depth view of players that way. ;)

I'm a slow learner, or I don't want to accept the BS you're spewing?

Hodgson injured himself because he trained too hard and injured his back. The Canucks didn't injure him, he injured himself. If he wasn't satisfied with their diagnosis, he was free to go get a second opinion, which he did. And it was the same diagnosis.

Hodgson is no world beater. He has just as many flaws to his game as Kassian. He's a poor skater, he's soft, and he has a hard time winning puck battles. He makes up for it with having a great shot, good hockey sense, and great passing abilities. Kassian lacks great hockey sense but he makes up for it with grit and winning puck battles. He's also an underrated play maker.

And if Hodgson gets the excuse of being injury prone to explain his numbers, then I'm going to give Kassian an excuse. He playes on a team that has scored 66 goals, compared to Hodgson's team that has scored 90. There's no offense on the Wolves, and therefore Kassian's game is suffering because of it. That's the reality that you ignore. Maybe if you watched him you would see he's playing pretty well.

Right, why dont we come right back to this after already countered this point you're "trying" to make

I dont think UFA is the way to build a team. That's why I've been emphasizing that the Flames' drafting have improved.

"lol typical canucks fan, ignorant as always"

see? I can do it too

When a player gets benched he is not inspiring confidence in anybody.

Just because I don't agree with your BS means exactly the same thing,pal.

NHL prospects that never play in the NHL are a waste of a pick.That's how I evaluate it.

The TSN report stated the Canucks were the only Canadian team without a prospect in the top 30.

If you can actually spend some time to read it properly you might have actually understood what it meant-and implies. :sadno:

You can say the Flames drafting has improved because there is no evidence to show otherwise - there is also no evidence to support your claim. It is mere speculation that will be borne out in due course. You'll need more than that to show your team is on the right path.

In the meantime your GM is looking for shortcuts in the wrong places - and has failed to take anything resembling a clear course of action. Has allowed the Flamed key vets to get old enough that their potential return if moved has been significantly devalued. Rebuild, retool...rethink. Feaster was claiming that the Cammalleri deal was going to send them on a playoff run. Not much of a grasp of reality. Hasn't moved the obvious terrible contracts. Has added players who are known one-way wonders - again, not the best way to build your team. Hard to get onboard with fanboying the current Flames GM.

This is Craig Button, it's not TSN. If it was a consensus list from all the TSN analysts, I would put a little bit more value into it. But it's one person's opinion. The fact that he has 2 flames prospects on there tells you all you need to know. John Groudeau is better than Zibanejad, Forsberg, Grigerenko, and Jenner? Yea...okay.

What's also worth remembering is what happened when the "world beater" was out in the open, out from under the shelter in Vancouver. He got exposed in Buffalo. His GM was so disappointed he went public with the fact that he was still looking for the right centerman. He then added a whole handful. Hodgson is about to find out what it's like to have younger guys nipping at his heels.

Baertschi, enough said

Jankowski is hovering above .5PPG as a freshman on a team with no support cast, Sieloff is fan favorite in Windsor and will make the US WJC team, so will Gillies who's putting up unreal numbers in a tough hockey east division, Kulak, Culkin, Gordon, and DeBlouw are all putting up good numbers for their teams.

Doesn't take a genius to notice that the Flames' have improved drafting, but then again I'm dealing with a Canucks fan here

Why is it that you don't want us to critize the Sutter era, yet you can critize our 08, 09, and 10 draft years. Doesn't exactly seem fair but alright, just an excuse for your bad picks IMO.

As for Feaster, trading there orignial pick when they could have got Ceci, Wilson, Girgensons, Taravinen, Vasilevsky and Hertl. Is pretty impressive, then even on the pick they had after the trade, Taking Jankowski over Maatta was really impresive aswell. That's just last draft.

Archived