The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

Well; the real bonus of adding Malhotra was that he was capable of handling physical match ups at a very fit 220 lbs. I had zero confidence playing Wellwood against line ups like in San Jose or Anaheim, but Manny was a winning match up for us. It took a tremendous stress off Kesler.

I also thought Hodgson was plain better if we were to go with a smaller player, but blah blah blah...

I didn't mind Wellwood when he was here. He was pretty good in the faceoff circle, could score some goals as well. Was lacking in the assists, but that may have been due to stone handed line mates.

This being said, I do think Malhotra was an upgrade. Better in the third line center role that Wellwood, who had aspirations of moving higher up the depth chart, or so I recall hearing. I suppose the other thing that may have come in to play was Wellwood's reported lack of training and keeping himself in shape. And didn't he like to stay out late with O'Brien?

I suppose it comes down to the team choosing to let a guy who was a character go, and replacing him with a character guy.

regards,

G.

Well; the real bonus of adding Malhotra was that he was capable of handling physical match ups at a very fit 220 lbs. I had zero confidence playing Wellwood against line ups like in San Jose or Anaheim, but Manny was a winning match up for us. It took a tremendous stress off Kesler.

I also thought Hodgson was plain better if we were to go with a smaller player, but blah blah blah...

Archived