3455 replies to this topic

#271 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hopefully some of you noticed the shuckles Gillis gave to the reporter who asked not three questions into the interview and with Toronto-like urgency if the Luongo deal will be made soon. I thought it was ridiculous to ask such a question when every hockey person knows a yet to be ratified deal was struck at 5am the same morning and until then none of the teams could start talking trade. The reporter sounded like a rabid, hockey starved fan.

Gillis shuckles at this thought. I found peace.

#272 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I can't understand why people want Cody Franson in Vancouver. His play in the SEL have not been impressive at all. 7 points i 25 games and a -4 +/- averaging just above 8 minutes total icetime.

http://estat.hockeyl...0&PlayerId=4965

Because he's a Leafs and that's where Luongo is going and that's their best player. The Leafs. The proof is on this board and specifically in this thread. The fans actually think they're robbing the Leafs with such players as Gardiner, Kadri, Biggs; ridiculous really. Luongo gets traded, it will be the end of the Powerhouse Vancouver Canucks.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 07 January 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#273 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Tony G asked his agent who keeps spouting off on Kes return and tweeted not until playoffs... That means he is out months. Luongo will have to bring back a 2nd line center or sign an Arnott or Langkow

#274 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

I know this is an unpopular opinion but if I'm the GM of the Leafs or the Panthers why wouldn't I just wait until the offseason and put the pressure on Gillis to buy Luongo out? Especially Tallon who has never seemed overly eager to make a play for Luongo anyway. It's fairly clear Luongo wants to go there. Wait it out for 48 games and then try to snake him for nothing at a very favourable home town discount. If Gillis has to go all season with Luongo and then needs to think about re-signing Edler in the summer and the Sedins the following year that cap space is going to become invaluable. I'd play chicken with Gillis.

And I'd also want to see Luongo play for a bit before a move was made. He's not usually a great starter and his last season after a lockout was his worst so I think that's a factor as well.

It seems almost charitable to me for a team like the Leafs or Panthers to give up so much when there are so many question marks. And of course the cap doesn't help in anyway. The pressure is going to mount on Gillis if a move isn't made quickly.

Edited by bd71, 07 January 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#275 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

I know this is an unpopular opinion but if I'm the GM of the Leafs or the Panthers why wouldn't I just wait until the offseason and put the pressure on Gillis to buy Luongo out? Especially Tallon who has never seemed overly eager to make a play for Luongo anyway. It's fairly clear Luongo wants to go there. Wait it out for 48 games and then try to snake him for nothing at a very favourable home town discount. If Gillis has to go all season with Luongo and then needs to think about re-signing Edler in the summer and the Sedins the following year that cap space is going to become invaluable. I'd play chicken with Gillis.

And I'd also want to see Luongo play for a bit before a move was made. He's not usually a great starter and his last season after a lockout was his worst so I think that's a factor as well.

It seems almost charitable to me for a team like the Leafs or Panthers to give up so much when there are so many question marks. And of course the cap doesn't help in anyway. The pressure is going to mount on Gillis if a move isn't made quickly.

...and luckily, Gillis can handle this pressure better than the Vancouver fan base and will be patient until a great deal is presented to him.

Maybe the fans will call for his head too?

#276 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

There's a simple answer to that. It's a poker game, does Burke wait until the off season and say when you buy out Luongo we will sign him, essentially risking his job if the leafs fail, or does he suck it up and just make the move. On gillis' end, he says fine go ahead and wait, were not even going to buy him out........ My money is on a team willing to give up fair value for Luongo before Gillis feels the need to buy him out for nothing.

#277 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,925 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

The Sedins should not be re-signed so as to make space for Kadri.

wot

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#278 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

wot

Exactly.

...and on the report that Team 1040 says Luongo to Toronto is close to done?

Team 1040 = LOL

That radio station should be closed down.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 07 January 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#279 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

A couple of Dark Horse teams that could maybe make a move for Luongo:
-Philly, if they buy out Bryzgalov
-Detroit, if they decide to go a different direction than Howard

#280 RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

^^^ I could also see the sharks. capitals or islanders get in the mix

#281 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,945 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

The Sedins should not be re-signed so as to make space for Kadri.

Huh? If this is a quote from another source, you might want to put "" around it and let people know what you're talking about. Not many psychics here.

Because he's a Leafs and that's where Luongo is going and that's their best player. The Leafs. The proof is on this board and specifically in this thread. The fans actually think they're robbing the Leafs with such players as Gardiner, Kadri, Biggs; ridiculous really. Luongo gets traded, it will be the end of the Powerhouse Vancouver Canucks.

Again. ?. Huh? Franson is the Leafs best player? Are you paraphrasing someone or stating your own opinion?

What "the fans actually think" are actually a whole lot of divergent things. There is no monolith called "the fans".

#282 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Here's my thoughts on Luongo and a buyout.

1. Best case scenario: We trade him and get a reasonable return.
2. Next case: We move him for a lesser/minimal return rather than lose him for nothing.
3. Worse case: We put him on waivers where someone is all but guaranteed to get him.
4. Last case: We buy him out and pay a portion of his salary so that another team can sign him.

Considering it would take several steps to get to where we'd buy out Luongo, its not going to happen. Even if we did, the Leafs know they aren't anywhere near first in line since they've fired Luongo's favourite goalie coach. Florida might have optimism, since Luongo lives there now in the offseason, but both know that Luongo would likely go through waivers first.

Considering waivers, and considering the standing last year, why would either of Toronto or especially Florida think they would even get a chance to claim Luongo? Columbus has first rights, and they'd love a top goalie. Guess who's next on the list: Edmonton, and they've been rumoured to have interest as well. Then comes Montreal, Luongo's home town, and the Islanders, who would love to buyout DiPietro and bring back someone else instead.

Granted, those standing will change as the season is played, but Florida should be competing for a playoff spot again, and if Toronto isn't as well then Burke is the last person thinking about being patient and hoping he gets a shot at Luongo in free agency. He does that, he's likely out of a job.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#283 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Comeon MG, no more secondary or role players. Elite for elite. The trade market and a condensed schedule could play into MG's hands nicely. Allaire and Lu both to Florida???

“@FarhanLaljiTSN: #Luongo says he has recently spoken to Gillis, but not specifically about a trade. Though he did say "there is more than one team involved"”

“@FarhanLaljiTSN: Assuming there is no trade, #Luongo says he'll fly to Van at the end of the week. Also said w/ the shortened season that "all bets are off"”

“@FarhanLaljiTSN: Alaire asked about #Luongo's ability to handle the Toronto market: "Vancouver is a pretty big market too" #canucks #tsn”

#284 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,945 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

One answer to that - the Leafs and Panthers will be competing for a playoff spot, not conspiring to keep the price of Luongo low for each other.
And they aren't the only two potential destinations. Waiting for a buyout = watching another team cut a deal for Luongo.
Luongo is far and away the best goaltender on the market, and there are a number of teams that could step in at any time and make an offer. The idea that no one will offer anything before the end of the season and Luongo will be bought out is in the range of 0 - 0.1% probability. The Leafs would do just as well to buy a ticket in the all-star goaltender lottery.

#285 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,945 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Here's one for King - aren't you the guy who posted Craig'slist? ::D

Craig Button:

"I would not trade Luongo if I was Vancouver. High demands on goalies in shortened season. Big advantage for Canucks."

Apparently Button doesn't agree with your "table scraps" assessment.

#286 Black Mountain

Black Mountain

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

The one team that I have not heard anyone mention is the Ducks. Perry and Getzlaf are both UFA at the end of the season and we all remember Bobby Ryan sounding off at the draft about how feels he has been treated by the Ducks. Not saying we would get any of those players but if I'm the Ducks GM I would want to get some thing for Perry or Getzlaf. I could see them sign one but not both..... Who knows maybe they do get both under contract if they trade Ryan.....

Edited by Black Mountain, 07 January 2013 - 11:45 AM.

Posted Image

#287 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Roberto Luongo: Toronto Maple Leafs 'obviously part of the equation'

CORAL SPRINGS, FLA. - Roberto Luongo is still working out in Vancouver Canucks blue but is well aware he may have to change the shade soon.

The Canucks goaltender was on the ice here Monday morning and said he has given general manger Mike Gillis “the green light” to do whatever is best for the team.

That, of course, includes a trade and the Toronto Maple Leafs are known to be high on the list of suitors.

“I have a lot of respect for Toronto, Brian Burke and the Leafs,” Luongo said after a 90-minute workout with former Leafs goalie goal and long time mentor, Francois Allaire. “They are obviously part of the equation, there’s no denying that. But there’s a lot of things that can happen. I want to make sure I’m aware of the possibilities.

Luongo certainly understands that he will be the subject of trade rumours as the rush for training camp approaches.

“I’m open to a lot of ideas right now,” Luongo said. “I don’t want to corner myself, especially since I might have to start the season in Vancouver or play the whole season there. Who knows.”

He said that in previous discussions he’s had with Gillis, he’s made it clear that he would accept a trade if the circumstances were right. The Canucks have certainly given an indication they are comfortable moving forward with Cory Schneider in net.

“It’s a process,” Luongo said. "I told Mike I gave him the green light to do whatever he needs to do that’s best for the team. Whatever that is, how much time that will be, I don’t know.

“I’m prepared right now to go up to Vancouver and start training camp. Unless Mike tells me otherwise, I’m ready to go, I’m excited. I miss being around the guys.”

Though he made it clear he’s aware there are other options, Luongo said he isn’t bothered about the prospect of playing in Toronto.

“We all know what expectations are in the Canadian markets,” Luongo said. “It’s not something that would be new to me. It’s something I can handle.”

Probably nothing new for what Luongo's known to this point, but further confirmation of what he'd accept and what teams may be interested.

#288 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

The one team that I have not heard anyone mention is the Ducks. Perry and Getzlaf are both UFA at the end of the season and we all remember Bobby Ryan sounding off at the draft about how feels he has been treated by the Ducks. Not saying we would get any of those players but if I'm the Ducks GM I would want to get some thing for Perry or Getzlaf. I could see them sign one but not both..... Who knows maybe they do get both under contract if they trade Ryan.....

Why would they want Luongo though? They have Hiller, and you may have heard of John Gibson from the world junior championship that just happened. He's there property too. They also have a couple other goalie prospects doing quite well so they have no desire to go after another goalie.

#289 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

IMO with the condensed schedule and multiple teams bidding (quoted by both Lu and MG), the Canucks are going to get good value.
So here's my trade and roster.

Lu, Raymond, Sauve
For
Gardiner/Rielly and Bozak

Sign Vandermeer
Sign Huselius
Sign Ellis

Sedins Burr
Booth Kes Huselius
Higgins Bozak Hansen
Lap Manny Kass
Weise, Shroeder Ebbett

Ham Bieksa
Edler Garr
Ballard Tanev
Vander Alberts

Schneider
Ellis
Lack

#290 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Yeah I like it, logical value; but its not a logical trade.

McArthur is another LW in a mittfull of LW's for us... Why not break down and actually get pieces that slot directly into our needs? For better or worse, Bozak fills a centre role for us and offers cap relief next year. Our other holes are RW and right D.

And I also think we need to put Franson in as a depth D for us. Having a depth right handed shot would allow us to dangle Ballard or possibly even Edler.

If I had the choice I'd be asking for any three of Kadri, Ashton, Franson and Bigg's!

McArthur, Kadri, Finn for Luongo?

Anyone like it?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 07 January 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#291 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

:lol: They actually tried that last year!

Leaf fans almost voted Reimer into the All Star game last year, perhaps thinking that might actually make him an all star???

:rolleyes:

One answer to that - the Leafs and Panthers will be competing for a playoff spot, not conspiring to keep the price of Luongo low for each other.
And they aren't the only two potential destinations. Waiting for a buyout = watching another team cut a deal for Luongo.
Luongo is far and away the best goaltender on the market, and there are a number of teams that could step in at any time and make an offer. The idea that no one will offer anything before the end of the season and Luongo will be bought out is in the range of 0 - 0.1% probability. The Leafs would do just as well to buy a ticket in the all-star goaltender lottery.

#292 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Anyone care to guess who Chicago would have been discussing when it was rumoured they were rumoured last fall?

Even better if anyone has any actual report...

#293 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

What if this is a 3 -way deal? If brokering a deal with Toronto meant adding Edmonton into the mix (Tambellini was under Nonis for a while) perhaps Nonis joined forces with Edmonton to give the package Gillis was looking for?

Sam Gagner (would fill 2nd line C very nicely)
Magnus Paarajavi (swede who could get his scoring touch back)
Bozak/Franson/Komisarek

for Luongo ++?

#294 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

And we can't afford to trade Luongo for an impact player because of how little cap space we have right now, that's why we have to trade hm for good prospects to keep our Cup window open.

Well, as News and Smashian are pointing out with alternate options; the real concept is a solid veteran "rental" to help our cup chances this year as the secondary piece in a trade. Make no mistake, we want a top prospect as our first priority.

I suppose we could consider a second lesser prospect as the secondary piece also; and in the past I have suggested any two of Biggs, Ashton and Kadri. Old News is pointing out if we get all prospects, we just sign a UFA. I like Arnott. Even better, we get two prospects plus a crack this year!

But, bird in hand, one prospect + Bozak, or Upshall or.... is easier for a GM to make, in Toronto's case due to cap, in Florida's case due to salary.

Good point Smashian. The Canucks have the option of signing a veteran center/right wing to a one year deal for short term depth as they let their prospects develop further. Taking back a dead weight contract in the Luongo deal is not an option imo. I wouldn't mind a player like Upshall who is a moderate cap hit and a hell of a player if healthy, but aside from someone like that, what is the point? Taking primarily prospects is what I am hoping takes place - ideally at least one guy who is nearing NHL readiness.
There are still players out in the UFA market who would make decent short term rentals that would cost no asset value - Arnott has been thrown around a lot - I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Jochen Hecht signed to a one year deal. Always liked the way he plays - good two way player who has almost always been a plus player, and is lighting it up in Germany as we speak!!!
Also would like to see the Canucks pick up Eric Fehr - with a name like that, he's bound to be a player. ::D

#295 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

@SNHockeyCentral: Roberto Luongo on trade: #Toronto Maple Leafs "obviously part of the equation." Watch interview: http://t.co/MJJ07fIx

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#296 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,945 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

@SNHockeyCentral: Roberto Luongo on trade: #Toronto Maple Leafs "obviously part of the equation." Watch interview: http://t.co/MJJ07fIx

thanks Noheart.
something that actually is worthy of the news thread - as opposed to all the spam getting dumped in there.

#297 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Huh? If this is a quote from another source, you might want to put "" around it and let people know what you're talking about. Not many psychics here.

Again. ?. Huh? Franson is the Leafs best player? Are you paraphrasing someone or stating your own opinion?

What "the fans actually think" are actually a whole lot of divergent things. There is no monolith called "the fans".

Sarcasm. Don't read much into it.

#298 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,945 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Anyone care to guess who Chicago would have been discussing when it was rumoured they were rumoured last fall?

Even better if anyone has any actual report...

The rumours were Bolland.
I personally don't like what they have to offer - roster or prospects. Hard to find good fits there.
If they want to offer Seabrook, I'd listen, otherwise it's their marquis players (which no one thinks they'd do), or a bunch of misfits (not much of interest at RW or center)....Stallberg (UFA) and a whack of picks...?

#299 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,945 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

:lol: They actually tried that last year!

Leaf fans almost voted Reimer into the All Star game last year, perhaps thinking that might actually make him an all star???

:rolleyes:

:lol:
the desperation is transparent.
strike while the iron is hot.
Lou for Frattin, Bozak, Biggs and a pair of 1sts if they make the playoffs - only 1 if/when they don't...

#300 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Because Hiller isn't that bad and they have that Kid (Gibson?) from the World Juniors in their system. Possibility but I doubt he's going there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.