The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

You have two options:

Option 1 to wait for the lineup dies down and HOPE that what you want is still available.

Option 2 is you lineup with your money ready, and be guarenteed to get what you want.

So why would the Leafs / Panthers wait when Luongo could be dealt to either / or to a team that may be in the discussion. For the leafs they could lose out on a goalie they need, miss the playoffs and be in the same situation as next year.

Lol why do people line-up at black friday / boxing day sales when they have a chance to be trampled on?

You have two options:

Option 1 to wait for the lineup dies down and HOPE that what you want is still available.

Option 2 is you lineup with your money ready, and be guarenteed to get what you want.

So why would the Leafs / Panthers wait when Luongo could be dealt to either / or to a team that may be in the discussion. For the leafs they could lose out on a goalie they need, miss the playoffs and be in the same situation as next year.

I'd say for option 2 it's not even that the people that brave the lineup are guaranteed to get what they want. Limited quantity (such as there is for stating goalies on the trade/ufa market) sometimes means other people get there and grab what's available first. Yet still people wait in line for hours and hours and try and force their way in with everyone else.

I maintain the opinion that if either team was so gung-ho on acquiring Luongo, the deal would have gotten done in the summer.

These teams that you've mentioned would probably have interest, but only at a certain price. And I don't think that price is all that high, at the moment, which is why Roberto Luongo looks to be reporting to Vancouver Canuck training camp on the weekend.

I disagree, you could say the same thing about the lockout. A deal would have been done in October if it wasn't for all the posturing by either side to get the best deal for their side.

What happened when it came down to crunch time? Both sides sat down and got a deal done. Brian Burke is going to go for luongo hard now as he's not going to sit around and wait for another veteran premier goalie to become availible.

What we get for Lu is going to depend on how badly the other teams want him as well. After watching the past few months of posturing and bulls**t between the NHL and PA, I think we will never actually know the real answer to that. Tallon says bjugstad is untouchable. Is that really the hill he will die on? Did he make his absolute best offer in September? Is JVR also worth ten first rounds picks? Would Burke have really taken Reilly 1st overall?

These guys say anything to extract leverage but in the end, when it comes down to crunch time, the offers will improve and I think that is going to happen soon.

Don't trade Lu... trade Schneider. End of thread... if Gillis had a brain and traded Schneider at the dead line we would have got some assets to get us past the kings.

That being said Duncan Keith hit on Daniel didn't help our chances either. If that hadnt happened I think we would have won and all the luongo haters would have tattood his name all over their bodies.

I disagree, you could say the same thing about the lockout. A deal would have been done in October if it wasn't for all the posturing by either side to get the best deal for their side.

What happened when it came down to crunch time? Both sides sat down and got a deal done. Brian Burke is going to go for luongo hard now as he's not going to sit around and wait for another veteran premier goalie to become availible.

What we get for Lu is going to depend on how badly the other teams want him as well. After watching the past few months of posturing and bulls**t between the NHL and PA, I think we will never actually know the real answer to that. Tallon says bjugstad is untouchable. Is that really the hill he will die on? Did he make his absolute best offer in September? Is JVR also worth ten first rounds picks? Would Burke have really taken Reilly 1st overall?

These guys say anything to extract leverage but in the end, when it comes down to crunch time, the offers will improve and I think that is going to happen soon.

I maintain the opinion that if either team was so gung-ho on acquiring Luongo, the deal would have gotten done in the summer.

These teams that you've mentioned would probably have interest, but only at a certain price. And I don't think that price is all that high, at the moment, which is why Roberto Luongo looks to be reporting to Vancouver Canuck training camp on the weekend.

The obvious difference is that we're dealing with a depreciating asset who's value will drop with each game that he becomes established as an NHL backup. The pressure will grow more and more on GILLIS as this situation remains unresolved, especially if the team gets off to a slow start, something that I'd call pretty likely to happen.

Archived