Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Tentative Agreement Reached.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
401 replies to this topic

#391 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,296 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Why are the players waiting????

The players aren't expected to start their own ratification vote until Friday.

The player vote can be done electronically, and can be done pretty quickly.

Training camp starts Sunday whether they voted today or Friday.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#392 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Maybe someone can answer a question for me?

Why was the salary cap officially set at $60 mil for this season but that they are allowing them to spend up to $70.2 mil?

What is the reason for doing this?

My guess would be to allow teams to start making moves to get under the new cap. For example, they might pick up a player to replace a player they know they have to trade before they've traded him (like a new backup goalie before we traded Luo.) It just keeps teams from having to trade a player before they have a replacement for him and gives them a little time to get a decent deal for the player they have to trade instead of creating a complete buyers market where teams get screwed on trades just to get under the cap.

Edited by poetica, 09 January 2013 - 04:57 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#393 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

My guess would be to allow teams to start making moves to get under the new cap. For example, they might pick up a player to replace a player they know they have to trade before they've traded him (like a new backup goalie before we traded Luo.) It just keeps teams from having to trade a player before they have a replacement for him and gives them a little time to get a decent deal for the player they have to trade instead of creating a complete buyers market where teams get screwed on trades just to get under the cap.

My question is not why teams are allowed to spend up to 70 but why they would say the cap is 60 mil for this season.

Even artificially saying it would be 64.3 like next years seems duplicitous if there is not a mechanism in the CBA that affects how teams operate for this season.

What effect on operations does the 60 mil figure cause? I can't see one.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#394 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,656 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Maybe someone can answer a question for me?

Why was the salary cap officially set at $60 mil for this season but that they are allowing them to spend up to $70.2 mil?

What is the reason for doing this?

Could very well be wrong on the technical side of this, but they want to set the new CBA up using the midpoint system, where the midpoint is based off of HRR and then the floor and ceiling calculated by a percentage variance up and down. They needed to set the midpoint artificially low until they have an HRR to base it off of, and so the floor is easier for the teams that don't spend as much. They've allowed teams to exceed the cap up to $70M this year obviously, and the $64M next year is also artificially set as a transition period.

I guess your question is why didn't they make the ceiling just $70M much like they did for next year at $64M, since that isn't an calculated amount above the midpoint. I should have just typed this: I don't know apart from $60M would be the calculated ceiling from a midpoint that would allow for a $44M floor. So it's really about setting the floor I guess.

Edited by elvis15, 09 January 2013 - 05:32 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#395 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

My question is not why teams are allowed to spend up to 70 but why they would say the cap is 60 mil for this season.

Even artificially saying it would be 64.3 like next years seems duplicitous if there is not a mechanism in the CBA that affects how teams operate for this season.

What effect on operations does the 60 mil figure cause? I can't see one.

The only reason it is set at 60 mil is because they wanted the cap floor at 44mil.

Posted Image

#396 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,656 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Could very well be wrong on the technical side of this, but they want to set the new CBA up using the midpoint system, where the midpoint is based off of HRR and then the floor and ceiling calculated by a percentage variance up and down. They needed to set the midpoint artificially low until they have an HRR to base it off of, and so the floor is easier for the teams that don't spend as much. They've allowed teams to exceed the cap up to $70M this year obviously, and the $64M next year is also artificially set as a transition period.

I guess your question is why didn't they make the ceiling just $70M much like they did for next year at $64M, since that isn't an calculated amount above the midpoint. I should have just typed this: I don't know apart from $60M would be the calculated ceiling from a midpoint that would allow for a $44M floor. So it's really about setting the floor I guess.

The only reason it is set at 60 mil is because they wanted the cap floor at 44mil.

Award for the simplest answer goes to...

#397 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 76,960 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Only 2 NHL players have played every NHL game between the last two lockouts:
Henrik Sedin 574
Jay Bouwmeester 574
Andrew Brunette 568
Joe Thornton 568
Martin St. Louis 567
Olli Jokinen 565
Chris Kelly 565
Antoine Vermette 565
Dustin Brown 564
Jarome Iginla 562

307mg00.jpg

#398 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 76,960 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

@jrimercbj
#NHLPA results of ratification vote will be in a press release at 8AM 2morrow(Sat) followed by #NHL releasing schedule. Camps open Sunday

307mg00.jpg

#399 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,208 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

really? they are going to bother to wait until tomorrow? it's clear they ratified it if the NHL is releasing a schedule and camps are opening. why bother waiting?

#400 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 76,960 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

really? they are going to bother to wait until tomorrow? it's clear they ratified it if the NHL is releasing a schedule and camps are opening. why bother waiting?

@Real_ESPNLeBrun
NHL clubs have received their team schedules, however, are now getting back to the league with any changes they absolutely need

307mg00.jpg

#401 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,656 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Interesting proposal to change the CBA slightly after NYR, NHL and NHLPA discussing Redden's situation, they may allow a buyout to be used early rather than sit a player. The cap hit they would have occurred (either in the NHL or AHL/Europe) until the summer buyout period will still apply.

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie
NYR, NHL, NHLPA believed discussing scenario under which NYR could exercise compliant buyout on Redden now while retaining AHL cap hit.
NYR would retain cap hit of 5.6m even if Redden signs with NHL team. It's a possibility.
Appears as if agreement reached as suggested here earlier.Compliance buyout can be used now on Redden with NYR taking 5.6M cap hit (1/2)...
2/2..NYR would take cap hit even if Redden signs with another team as UFA. This option will be available to all clubs (Mont/Gomez).

This would obviously update Gomez' status, where he could be bought out ahead of time and allowed to sign elsewhere. Remains to be seen if the already agreed upon amnesty buyout periods for this summer and next stay or if they've moved to just now and this summer. I'd expect the former.

Edited by elvis15, 15 January 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#402 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,656 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

TSNBobMcKenzie
Each team is still permitted only 2 compliance buyouts, either before Saturday or in summers of 2013 or 2014.
So ultimately, there's no actual benefit to team to do "accelerated compliance buyout" other than as favor to the player to seek work now.

EDIT: and another update.
RealKyper
Note on new compliance buyout agreement. Player consent needed to buy player out and player cap hit must be 3M+ Next summer reg rules apply

Edited by elvis15, 15 January 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.