50 replies to this topic

#1 KmaksNucks

KmaksNucks

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

Can someone please explain how the new CBA effects Luongos contact. Sorry if this is already posted.

#2 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Hopefully this isn't Canucks talk for very long!

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#3 KmaksNucks

KmaksNucks

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

With this cap ya, I dont see it. But Im more pissed at the fact that Edler will be impossible to fit in next year when the cap actually goes down to 64.3

#4 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

With this cap ya, I dont see it. But Im more pissed at the fact that Edler will be impossible to fit in next year when the cap actually goes down to 64.3

Impossible how? We have up to two buyouts that won't count against the cap.

We have $55.4M committed to 13 players next season (including Ballard and Luongo). Buyout Ballard and that's $51.2M. I'm pretty sure they can commit to Edler with $13M in cap space to sign 11 guys with only bottom 6, bottom pair, and depth players to sign/re-sign.

#5 KmaksNucks

KmaksNucks

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

We have $55.4M committed to 13 players next season (including Ballard and Luongo). Buyout Ballard and that's $51.2M. I'm pretty sure they can commit to Edler with $13M in cap space to sign 11 guys with only bottom 6, bottom pair, and depth players to sign/re-sign.

Sorry didnt know about the 2 buyouts not counting against the cap. I honestly think that its just Ballard we'll have to buyout, coz I really think theres a team that see's Luongos value and his cap hit value. With that thinkin I would easily buyout Ballard and sign Edler to a 6 Mill. cap hit and the left over 7 Mill to sign 10 bottom players, according to your number.

#6 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,971 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

Exactly. But before buying out Ballard I'd like to see if MG can get a decent pick for him instead of just dumping him for nothing. Here's how I see it panning out:

Edler: 5 years, $6 million per
Lapierre: 3 years, $2 million per
Higgins: 2 years, $2.35 million per
Malhotra: 1 year, $1 million
Raymond: Let walk
Tanev: 3 years, $1.5 million per

Luongo and Ballard out = $9,533,333 + old contracts expiring - cap reduction ($70.2 - $64.3 = $5.9) = $19,115,000.

Our remaining cap space after re-signings is $6,625,000, so about enough to get a decent player or two or re-sign players to a little more.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#7 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,913 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

I don't know if I want to see Edler get 6 million per season for 5 years.

#8 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

A decent pick is probably a stretch for Ballard at this point. At best, with a solid season (~20 points in 48-52 games), we may be able to land a late first or a decent prospect, but I doubt that happens with AV behind the bench.

#9 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

Who do you replace him with?

I don't think we can afford to let Edler go. I don't think he'll get $6M, though. Probably closer to $5M - $5.5M I'm guessing.

#10 KmaksNucks

KmaksNucks

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

If Burrows get 4 and a half (the last contract we signed), I would give Edler 6 Mill in a heart beat. Ever cup winning team has an elite D-Man (Lidstom, Keith, Neidameyer ect.) and Edler is the closest thing to that, that we have.

#11 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

so with our inability to score in the playoffs last year and the scf the previous year.. we are going to commit the cap space to Edler and bottom players/depth players? shouldn't our bigger concern be finding secondary scoring that doesn't really exist on this team? who knows if kesler will ever be close to a 100% again..

#12 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

so with our inability to score in the playoffs last year and the scf the previous year.. we are going to commit the cap space to Edler and bottom players/depth players? shouldn't our bigger concern be finding secondary scoring that doesn't really exist on this team? who knows if kesler will ever be close to a 100% again..

So we should let Edler walk and roll with three Top 4 dmen? Sign an expensive free agent? Desperately hope a Hamhuis or Garrison takes a hometown discount? Trade assets we can't really afford to give up to get a replacement?

It seems completely contradictory to say that we should let the 6th highest scoring defenseman in the league walk to gain "secondary scoring" ...

#13 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Ever cup winning team has an elite D-Man (Lidstom, Keith, Neidameyer ect.) and Edler is the closest thing to that, that we have.

Dan Hamuis says Hi
Posted Image

#14 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

There's already a thread. Please stick to existing threads.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#15 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

He's a top 2 d man. He deserves top 2 d-man money

#16 Spyderr

Spyderr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

edler gets 6

trade lu for weiss (rumored that it would be done if van didnt want a prospect)

buy out ballard, manny gone raymond gone now cap compliant for this year and next

Sedin Sedin Burr
jensens Kesler Booth
Hansen Weiss Higgins
Volpatti Lappy kassian

Hammy Bieksa
Eddie Garrison
Tanev Corrado

Schneids

Edited by Spyderr, 06 January 2013 - 09:43 AM.

Come on LU

#17 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

highly doubt florida would trade lou for weiss-i would love that move and if it is on the table, Gillis needs to do it. weiss is a perfect 2C for us while kesler is injured and league wide, is a top 2C on any team

#18 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

So....any actual info on how this affects Luongo's contract?

#19 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

So....any actual info on how this affects Luongo's contract?

Not much really changed for existing contracts. The cap may drop substantially in 2014-2015, though, depending on how badly affected HRR is in 2013-2014.

#20 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

64.3 million is definitely doable, better than 60m than it was in the late CBA negotiations.
I believe Ian Esplen had an interesting idea of using the buyout on players and then resigning them to a lower salary / cap hit.
They make more than they would throughout the normal contract and the team is penalty free and gets them at their more suitable cap hit.
To me this is perfect for Ballard, we resign him to 1.5m to 2m for a short term years and then we have a great 3rd pairing defense that is getting paid what he should.
Next year also Malhotra / Raymonds 2m+ contracts are over too, which frees up cap.

Edited by goblix, 06 January 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#21 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Dan Hamuis says Hi

Hammer, isn't really "elite" per say. He's awesome and dependable, but used for more of a shutdown role only.
The likes of Neidermeyer, Lidstrom, Keith, Weber, Suter, etc etc are elite because they are dependable and have that flair to put up points

#22 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Plus 1!

#23 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Lets see how Suter goes without Weber???

I'm sure a few teams would still prefer Hamhuis because he is soooooooo steady defensively; virtually all teams when you include contract considerations!

Hammer, isn't really "elite" per say. He's awesome and dependable, but used for more of a shutdown role only.
The likes of Neidermeyer, Lidstrom, Keith, Weber, Suter, etc etc are elite because they are dependable and have that flair to put up points

#24 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Lets see how Suter goes without Weber???

I'm sure a few teams would still prefer Hamhuis because he is soooooooo steady defensively; virtually all teams when you include contract considerations!

Many ppl who watch NSH regularly think Suter is better than Weber. Suter was the best Dman in the Van Olympics.

I also look forward to seeing how they do without having each other as playing partner.

Hamhuis is not elite, Weber and Suter are elite. I was a huge Weber fan before he went for the money and signed the Philly offer sheet. My biggest hockey wish was for MG to somehow get Weber on the team. My profile pic was Weber's jersey. But i think Suter is a great Dman and he helped Weber a great deal.

#25 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Many ppl who watch NSH regularly think Suter is better than Weber. Suter was the best Dman in the Van Olympics.

I also look forward to seeing how they do without having each other as playing partner.

Hamhuis is not elite, Weber and Suter are elite. I was a huge Weber fan before he went for the money and signed the Philly offer sheet. My biggest hockey wish was for MG to somehow get Weber on the team. My profile pic was Weber's jersey. But i think Suter is a great Dman and he helped Weber a great deal.

My biggest wish is for MG to still get Weber on this team! Still a fan even after he went for the money (can you blame him, that ridiculous upfront money)
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#26 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

My biggest wish is for MG to still get Weber on this team! Still a fan even after he went for the money (can you blame him, that ridiculous upfront money)

Yah, I don't see Weber coming here anytime soon. NSH is not going to trade him after paying Weber $26 million over the first 12 months of the contract. Weber can't be traded until after the 2013 bonus of $13 mill is paid out because it was a RFA offersheet match.
Weber will be a Predator for a long time to come Unless someone like the Oilers offered a package including........

Edit: Remember Weber does NOT have NTC so he could be traded to any team in the league. In theory, not saying it will happen.

Edited by WHL rocks, 06 January 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#27 lumberman

lumberman

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Can someone please explain how the new CBA effects Luongos contact.

Answer:

ALL contracts prior to new CBA are grandfathered, variance applies to 2013/14 forward

om Gulitti@TGfireandice
Yes, they are. RT @alanmac_d: @TGfireandice pls tweet if variances of old contracts r grandfathered?
Posted Image

#28 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Sign Dan Ellis, wrap Lou in bubble wrap, box that sh*t, and rush deliver that son b*tch to Ontario.

#29 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,336 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

@CraigJButton
I would not trade Luongo if I was Vancouver. High demands on goalies in shortened season. Big advantage for Canucks with Luongo & Schneider

@CraigJButton
If compliance buyouts are still available for teams after season, as has been speculated, then Vancouver can trade or buyout Luongo then.

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-, 06 January 2013 - 11:54 AM.

307mg00.jpg

#30 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Open market will easily get him 6m, and maybe more.

Edited by Baggins, 06 January 2013 - 12:40 PM.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.