The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames Thread - 12/13 Edition

At first the problem was Darryl Sutter. Just a real bad manager . Still the the building sold out. In comes Jay Fiester , strange, no change in philosophy, no change on the ice, the building is still sold out. The real root of the problem is ownership. From a stand point of icing a winning team. They can afford to keep screwing up, from the hiring of the right GM's to the philosophy. A filled building fills ownerships pockets. That's why they're there, to make a buck.

Look at last years draft. A big fat ZERO. This team isn't getting better it's getting older.

For me the real question is when will fans stop paying and going to watch this mess? I'm no Calgary fan but as a hockey fan one can see a good hockey product isn't the highest of priority's.

Didn't know after 1 year of being drafted you're considered a bust already :frantic:

Anyone that watched the game last night knows the Flames deserved a better fate. The team played exactly the way Hartley wants in his system and it showed effectiveness. A couple posts that could go in would've opened the game right up for Calgary.

Again, Hudler proving he's worth his contract and Cervenka playing well too.

Didn't know after 1 year of being drafted you're considered a bust already :frantic:

Anyone that watched the game last night knows the Flames deserved a better fate. The team played exactly the way Hartley wants in his system and it showed effectiveness. A couple posts that could go in would've opened the game right up for Calgary.

Again, Hudler proving he's worth his contract and Cervenka playing well too.

Flames better start going on a big win streak, just to keep pace with the rest of the pack. Otherwise, all their fans have to look forward to is the draft lottery.

It is so obvious that this team is a basement dweller, their core players are declining and getting older. Honestly, they had their chance to rebuild in the last couple of years and management has done squat. They are pretty much a last-place (or almost) team, even on their best day.

It's still early, but things are not looking good for the Flames.

I'd say they have about a week-and-a-half to get it together and rack up some wins. After they play the Blues on the 15th, they'll have played 12 games - which is 1/4 of the season. At that point, their schedule gets a lot tighter, as they have a back-to-back almost every week through the end of the season.

Flames have historically done very poor in the 2nd half of back-to-backs. So far they only had one to start the season (both games at home, which they lost). But for the rest of the season, they have:

- Feb. 17 & 18 (@ Dallas & Phoenix)

- Feb. 23 & 24 (home to Minny and Phoenix)

- Mar. 8 & 9 (@ Anaheim & LA)

- Mar. 21 & 22 (@ Nashville & Columbus)

- Mar. 26 & 27 (@ Chicago, then home to Colorado)

- Apr. 5 & 6 (@ San Jose & Vancouver)

- Apr. 12 & 13 (home to Phoenix, then @ Edmonton)

- Apr. 25 & 26 (@ St. Louis & Chicago)

In the month of April, they play 15 games in 26 days, without more than a single rest day between any two games. That is a killer schedule for any team, but especially for a team that leans so heavily on guys in their mid-30's. I don't see Kipper being able to play them all.

Considering the strength of the draft next year the Flamers should be selling/trading their older assets and start the rebuild that should have happened 5 years ago. I wanted Gillis to do that when he took over but have to admit that I was mistaken. 2 years ago might have been the only shot this group gets but I doubt it.

Archived