The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Scouting

J.I.A.H.N

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With all the possible trade scenarios the Canucks could be entertaining this year............

#1 Luongo

#2 Edler

*I am not saying Either are going, only that there is a possiblity! Draft picks would certainly be involved, and with that in mind, I was looking at some of the other Teams that have finished near the top in the last 5 years and wondered exactly what your opinions were on our drafting record in the past 5 years.

* Note that Detroit is currently ranked 6 deepest talent pool, yet they are near the top year in year out, so how do you think we've done?

Very poor!! Look at the wolves talent level and the Canuck prospects on all the teams of the world junior championships. That's right 0. Don't bother will lame excuses the fact is the scouting is well below average and needs a complete overhaul. The better your team is the better your scouting must be.

Scouting staff ranks among the bottom quartile of the NHL...not a whole lot of prospects acquired via the draft/free agency in the system. Delorme and his staff have clearly demonstrated an inability to find any gems in the last five years. We'll have to wait and see about the likes of Gaunce, McNally, etc., but I wouldn't hold my breath, given Delorme's abysmal track record. His recommendations to MG have been about as good as his own talent level while he played the game (i.e., marginal at best). It's time for a change at the leadership level among the scouting staff.

In your post, it reads like you're discussing three different subjects at once. Anyway, I would compare our drafting closely with Philadelphia's. Like the Flyers, the Canucks seem to pick pretty good players with their 1st rounders. After that, for both clubs it's a crapshoot with a few late round surprises here and there.

Philadelphia 1st round picks since 2006:

2006 Claude Giroux (22nd overall)

2007 James VanRiemsdyk (2nd overall)

2008 Luca Sbisa (19th overall)

2009 No 1st rounder (Adam Morrison top pick @ 81st overall)

2010 No 1st rounder (Michael Chaput top pick @ 89th overall)

2011 Sean Couturier (8th overall)

2012 Scott Laughton (20th overall)

Vancouver 1st round picks since 2006:

2006 Michael Grabner (14th overall)

2007 Patrick White (25th overall) LOL

2008 Cody Hodgson (10th overall)

2009 Jordan Schroeder (22nd overall)

2010 No 1st rounder (Patrick McNally top pick @ 115th overall)

2011 Nicklas Jensen (29th overall)

2012 Brendan Gaunce (26th overall)

Philadelphia - 2nd rounders and later who have played in the NHL

Andreas Nodl (2006, 39th overall) - 175 GP, 35 points

Jonathan Matsumoto (2006, 79th overall) - 14 GP, 2 points

Kevin Marshall (2007, 41st overall) - 10 GP, 0 points

Jon Kalinski (2007, 152nd overall) - 22 GP, 5 points

Patrick Maroon (2007, 161st overall) - 2 GP, 0 points

Marc-Andre Bourdon (2008, 67th overall) - 45 GP, 7 points

Zac Rinaldo (2008, 178th overall) - 66 GP, 9 points

Eric Wellwood (2009, 172nd overall) - 27 GP, 10 points

Vancouver - 2nd rounders and later who have played in the NHL

Sergei Shirokov (2006, 163rd overall) - 8 GP, 1 point

Yann Sauve (2008, 41st overall) - 5 GP, 0 points

Okay, so by that measure the two teams aren't comparable. Yikes. At the same time, though, the Canucks have consistently been a tough team to crack. Philadelphia had a couple sub-par years and they also seem to always have room for young players to steal spots, mostly because a lot of their cap space is tied up in humongous contracts.

I would say 3 out of 5, there is no other team that has been picking in the bottom like we have for as long as we have, Boston has had high picks, Chicago has had higher picks than us, Pittsburgh just got a high pick, Detriot has been picking higher than us.

I would say we have done alright.

from Cody on we have done a great job in the 1st round, I think each year we have gotten the best player avaliable to us.

our 2nd round picks have been alright we haven't had all of them and have drawn some blanks when we did while other teams did great, so below average here.

Our later round picks have been pretty good IMO, Corrado, Connaution, Polasek, McNally, Cannata. I think we have done a good job.

Then free agent signings which also is apart of scouting we have done terrific.

After considering our draft positions and who was avaliable each year, If I had to put it into grades I would go like this:

1st Round: B+

2nd Round: C

Later Rounds: B

Free Agent Signings: A

---------------------------------------

Overall: B

Just looking at our current prospects I don't think we've got what it takes to stay a strong team like Detroit (though with lidstrom gone anything can happen now). I'd have to say kassian or jensen would have to be our best prospects at the moment and not to say they're bad they don't look like top prospects that would put up an upwards of 60 points. Though that is what happens when we finish high on the rankings every year lately. We've had some good picks we just don't hold onto them.

outside of white, there hasnt been any major busts. The young guys havent got much of chance over the past few years to come in, grab an opportunity and run with it because of so many home discounts allowing us to fill out our contending team with good players.

2 of our top 4 defenseman were drafted by us outside of the first round, one has been to an allstar game

our top 2 centers were drafted and developed by us and both exceeded all expectations winning harts and selkes

our best winger drafted and developed by us also has a scoring title under his belt

schnieder, stud young goalie taking the #1 spot this year

hansen was a hell of a late steal for us and is one of the best pkers in the league

burrows, undrafted but we found him

tanev, undrafted but we found him

Most of our core was drafted and developed by us. Almost all of them i can say i didnt think he would be this good. Its given us one of the best powerplays and penatly killing units in the league, 2 presidents trophys and a trip to game 7 of the finals. Before i start drooling over every 18-20 yr old that hits the nhl ground running, i remember how good we've become with a little patience in drafting and development.

outside of white, there hasnt been any major busts. The young guys havent got much of chance over the past few years to come in, grab an opportunity and run with it because of so many home discounts allowing us to fill out our contending team with good players.

2 of our top 4 defenseman were drafted by us outside of the first round, one has been to an allstar game

our top 2 centers were drafted and developed by us and both exceeded all expectations winning harts and selkes

our best winger drafted and developed by us also has a scoring title under his belt

hansen was a hell of a late steal for us and is one of the best pkers in the league

Most of our core was drafted and developed by us. Almost all of them i can say i didnt think he would be this good. Its given us one of the best powerplays and penatly killing units in the league, 2 presidents trophys and a trip to game 7 of the finals. Before i start drooling over every 18-20 yr old that hits the nhl ground running, i remember how good we've become with a little patience in drafting and development.

This is the thing. The Canucks overall have been awful at drafting but they've been fortunate in that they've been able to build their core out of the select players that have worked out.

It's kind of like the Penguins with Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Orpik and Fleury. They're a fairly mediocre drafting team - albeit better than the Canucks - but what more do they need from their system than that? I know Staal is gone but the point remains because they drafted and won a Cup with him.

Archived