536 replies to this topic

#181 Iron_Gland

Iron_Gland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

The current intro sounds ok, but like others have mentioned, it's almost been linked with our playoff failures. It does NOT provide a sense of confidence before a big game, nowadays it just reminds me of the Chicago losses and the Boston game 7 loss.

As for what to do for a new song, I'm not sure. I'd prefer something bad ass and upbeat, but not sure if everyone will agree. I'd love it to be the beginning of this song with no lyrics, or something similar.

To each his own, but that would make me want to smash somebody good

#182 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,324 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Starting from 1:15, would be a bad ass entrance.

Edited by playboi19, 14 January 2013 - 11:33 AM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#183 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

You sure whine a lot.

Please change the U2, that song is for sissies. Some classic rock or hard rock is more the style for hockey.

Hit a nerve, did I?
Kevin.jpg

#184 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

You lost me at that picture of Messier.

#185 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I really like it, I'd be upset if they didn't keep it. Everytime I hear it I get shivers. And for people complaining about the lyrics of the song, last time I checked the lyrics don't even come on.

I also agree with Nas19, I've had enough of the team changing everything all the time. The true elite teams know that their fans want to enjoy traditions, notice that most of the original 6 have kept their jerseys since that era.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#186 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Come on, everyone knows the lyrics to that song. There really needs to be a complete overhaul of the music in Rogers arena in general imo.

To be fair, even if people know the lyrics, does it really even factor into the issue? The excitment really comes from seeing the players come out and the anticipation of the game. The music that goes with it is not really the driver as long as it is upbeat and decent. I don;t listen in fear of the other team thinking they will score more because of the lyrics of a pop song played in the arena.

I agree with you (and others) that some of the music during stoppages isn't to my taste, but as there are people there from all walks of life and all ages, that's going to happen.

#187 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the top 40 isn't going anywhere. it does - at times - suit the demographic. there are lots of kids in attendance.

that said, we always try to find that right balance....

appreciate the input.

DJD

Perhaps Top 40 doesn't suit the taste of all the kids in the audience.
When I was 12 or 13 and beyond, I know for a fact I didn't want to listen to whatever the crappy pop music was at the time (early to mid 90s). For me it was all about Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Bush, etc. A little later I started to really appreciate the classics from the 70s and 80s. Why cant there be more of this? The radio-friendly versions anyways.

So supposedly because of the kids nowadays, the rest of us have to suffer through New Direction, Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Bieber, and all the rest of that type of noise at a hockey game? I'm not saying this "music" should be eliminated completely but in my opinion it should toned way down. Maybe I'm wrong but this junk seems pretty dominant on the playlist.

Edited by Riviera82, 14 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#188 Sniperslayer

Sniperslayer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

I really like it, I'd be upset if they didn't keep it. Everytime I hear it I get shivers. And for people complaining about the lyrics of the song, last time I checked the lyrics don't even come on.

I also agree with Nas19, I've had enough of the team changing everything all the time. The true elite teams know that their fans want to enjoy traditions, notice that most of the original 6 have kept their jerseys since that era.

keeping an opening that only people in the building and playoff TV see isnt "traditon"

and an even bigger lol @ comparing original 6 sweaters to a U2 Opening lol...

there is no "tradition" associated with this song, losing is associated with it

and i'm fairly certain even original 6 teams change their opening fairly frequently, maybe the fact that we have not changed ours in so long speaks louder to the fact that change is needed, not to continue on where we are.

Edited by Sniperslayer, 14 January 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#189 grabner26

grabner26

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

welcome to the jungle would be a good choice.

#190 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

keeping an opening that only people in the building and playoff TV see isnt "traditon"

and i'm fairly certain even original 6 teams change their opening fairly frequently, maybe the fact that we have not changed ours in so long speaks louder to the fact that change is needed, not to continue on where we are.

The point was made on the first page of the thread, and I was just echoing it, that the Canucks have no constancy in anything, from the jerseys to the music to anything else. So you can lol all you want, but if you had the mental capacity to understand anything more than basic language, you'd be able to follow the comparison. Obviously, you don't like the song, so you throw up a stupid straw man argument instead of just disagreeing. I like the song, but I also would like for the team to maintain a few things the same, and among them are the uniforms and the entry music.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#191 Sniperslayer

Sniperslayer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

lets keep being soft pussies and losing big games! woooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#192 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

I laugh at the idea of our intro song having any sort of effect whatsoever on either the Canucks or their opposition.

Edited by Jägermeister, 14 January 2013 - 07:00 PM.

Posted Image

#193 Nuck-Shot

Nuck-Shot

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Streets with no name is not even close to the best intro in the league. Lacks intensity big time
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#194 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,786 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

This might drive the suits away, which would be a good thing. ;)

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#195 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

I feel bad for the 'goosebump' people....lol.

However out with the old and in with the new. I remember when the 'Nucks and 'Hawks were meeting up in the playoffs all the time and we'd be able to watch both intro's at each clubs respective homegames and it wasn't even close in how much more badass Chicago's was over ours...I actually found it semi-embarassing that they were coming out to something like 'Stranglehold' and we were coming out to 'Where the Street's Have No Name'....I know this isn't a for sure thing yet but DJ Dave if you are reading this....the team needs you and I think a good chunk of Canuck's Nation needs you as well.

Please make this team better by removing the curse of Bono from our Hallowed Arena.

#196 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I laugh at the idea of our intro song having any sort of effect whatsoever on either the Canucks or their opposition.

Apparently it's greatly affected a few of the people here, so you never know... :rolleyes:

However out with the old and in with the new. I remember when the 'Nucks and 'Hawks were meeting up in the playoffs all the time and we'd be able to watch both intro's at each clubs respective homegames and it wasn't even close in how much more badass Chicago's was over ours...I actually found it semi-embarassing that they were coming out to something like 'Stranglehold' and we were coming out to 'Where the Street's Have No Name'....I know this isn't a for sure thing yet but DJ Dave if you are reading this....the team needs you and I think a good chunk of Canuck's Nation needs you as well.

Please make this team better by removing the curse of Bono from our Hallowed Arena.

Way to make an assumption/generalization that not only do a 'good chunk' of Canucks fans want the change, but that the team 'needs' it as well.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#197 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

U2 is a fine intro. The in-game music is the real concern.

#198 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

The real losers it appears to me are the fans.

Jeez it's either boom or bust with most of you. Always looking for scapegoats, excuses, for what is basically a game where one team takes on another to see which is best.

The music has absolutely f-----all to do with the performance of the team or the outcome. Are you guys so sad, so detached from reality that you seriously think it has?

All I can say is you have a lot to learn from European Sport if that is the case. It's the fans making noise that can help a team, nothing else. To think for one moment that playing "violent" music as an intro will increase the chances of winning is LAME!

My football (soccer team) comes out to this, (Notice Jannik Hansen on base guitar :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udxbvHiqGw

They were a group who were born and brought up in the town but I have never EVER heard a fan say the music has ever influenced the team. It is used to stop the chat and focus/raise the expectation of the game. AS FOR THE LYRICS............THEY ARE GARBAGE but basically anti-war.

PS If you want music to slaughter people to then get some bagpipe music. There have been more slaughterings committed to bagpipe music than ever was done to Heavy/Death/ Disney Metal.

Edited by Bodee, 15 January 2013 - 05:28 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#199 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Apparently it's greatly affected a few of the people here, so you never know... :rolleyes:

Way to make an assumption/generalization that not only do a 'good chunk' of Canucks fans want the change, but that the team 'needs' it as well.

In the end as maaaany people have pointed out the music doesn't matter much at the end of the day.

"The team needs you" is just tongue and cheek so no worries there, obviously the Canucks don't need such things to win games as they are top end professional athletes (well most of them lets hope).

I realize that folks don't want to hear that other people don't like things that they do but I honestly believe that this intro has had its time and it is definately a good move to get going in another direction.

Edited by Industrious1, 15 January 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#200 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

The real losers it appears to me are the fans.

Jeez it's either boom or bust with most of you. Always looking for scapegoats, excuses, for what is basically a game where one team takes on another to see which is best.

The music has absolutely f-----all to do with the performance of the team or the outcome. Are you guys so sad, so detached from reality that you seriously think it has?

PS If you want music to slaughter people to then get some bagpipe music. There have been more slaughterings committed to bagpipe music than ever was done to Heavy/Death/ Disney Metal.

Bagpipes...So ....Korn? I'm picking up what you are putting down.

Seriously though, there is supposed to be something called Home Ice Advantage and alot of that has to do with home team crowd cheering and jeering and getting into the game. I would argue that when you start the night off with a weak song that gives people "goosebumps", you are not using the potential to its advantage. Get the crowd pumped and excited, don't give them goosebumps and nervous anxiety. Vancouver people already suffer from enough emotional dis-orders as it is.

#201 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

1) It is a whole lot better than the crazy flute that used to be played.
2) The intro of the song is mixed long enough to cover both team's entrance on to the ice
3) It sounds amazing in Rogers Arena.

Edited by jmfaminoff, 15 January 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#202 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

In the end as maaaany people have pointed out the music doesn't matter much at the end of the day.

"The team needs you" is just tongue and cheek so no worries there, obviously the Canucks don't need such things to win games as they are top end professional athletes (well most of them lets hope).

I realize that folks don't want to hear that other people don't like things that they do but I honestly believe that this intro has had its time and it is definately a good move to get going in another direction.

In your opinion.

http://youtu.be/9MV1ot9HkPg?t=42s

Edited by elvis15, 15 January 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#203 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

In your opinion.

http://youtu.be/9MV1ot9HkPg?t=42s

Well yeah.

I thought that went without saying. This forum is all people's opinions outside of hard stats and factual hockey history.

My opinion is they need a new intro...DJ Dave seems to think this might be a good idea as well. Some people are against it and disagree..that is completely fine and very democratic :P

#204 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Raaar!

If it bleeds, we can kill it

If it bleeds, we can kill it

You're one ugly mother and that's why I'm talking trash

I've seen you bleed and now I know that I can kick your... ahhhh

I'm going to take you down

I'm going to take you down

etc, etc, etc

Too aggro?
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#205 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Too aggro?

You think? :blink:

#206 cloutier123

cloutier123

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I like our opening song, gets me jacked up the first couple minutes lol... after that meh, yeah your right. I liked the Sharks using Metallicas - seek and destroy, with sharks swimming all over the ice.

Our bigger problem though is our jerseys... I hated them when they came out, I prayed id grow to love them, sadly no. The colours are feline, and it says Vancouver over the orca... change it plz. They shouldnt have changed from the previous jerseys. And they never should have replaced the banners of Linden, Smyl, to those ugly colors, shame on you Canucks, shame on you.

#207 DJ Dave

DJ Dave

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Perhaps Top 40 doesn't suit the taste of all the kids in the audience.
When I was 12 or 13 and beyond, I know for a fact I didn't want to listen to whatever the crappy pop music was at the time (early to mid 90s). For me it was all about Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Bush, etc. A little later I started to really appreciate the classics from the 70s and 80s. Why cant there be more of this? The radio-friendly versions anyways.

So supposedly because of the kids nowadays, the rest of us have to suffer through New Direction, Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Bieber, and all the rest of that type of noise at a hockey game? I'm not saying this "music" should be eliminated completely but in my opinion it should toned way down. Maybe I'm wrong but this junk seems pretty dominant on the playlist.

Yeah, also - be advised - i have NEVER, nor will i EVER play anything by Justin Bieber. Further, I do try and tone it down when playing the current hits. I honestly wish we were back in the early '90's when new music was actually worth listening to!

It's always tough finding that nice balance - but you, and other fans like you - will continue to make sure I'm on my toes, and I do appreciate it very much.

DJD

#208 DJ Dave

DJ Dave

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

The point was made on the first page of the thread, and I was just echoing it, that the Canucks have no constancy in anything, from the jerseys to the music to anything else. So you can lol all you want, but if you had the mental capacity to understand anything more than basic language, you'd be able to follow the comparison. Obviously, you don't like the song, so you throw up a stupid straw man argument instead of just disagreeing. I like the song, but I also would like for the team to maintain a few things the same, and among them are the uniforms and the entry music.

I would beg to differ. the Canucks are very consistent in ONE category at the very least . . . .

WINNING.

#209 DJ Dave

DJ Dave

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

You'll be seeing something in the coming days, which addresses this very topic. Honestly, I'm split. U2 has all the elemnents; emotion, grandeur, tension building.

Stranglehold is a wonderful piece as well....

stay tuned!

DJD

#210 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

You think? :blink:

Just foolin ;)Seriously though...must ditch the U2
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.