key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Jackie Chan back in action, branding US more corrupt than China

Posted Image

Action star Jackie Chan has once again sparked controversy by branding America the world's "most corrupt" country in a TV interview.

His comments were slammed by The Washington Post's foreign affairs blogger Max Fisher as "anti-American" and a reflection of China's insecurity about itself.

Chan told Phoenix TV that China has been bullied by international powers for a long time and only began making progress in recent years.

Chan added that while China has a corruption problem, so do other nations, including America.
"If you talk about corruption, the entire world - America - has no corruption?" said the actor.

He went on to say America is "the most corrupt [country] in the world" - not China. "Where does this great breakdown [of corruption] come from? It started exactly from the [rest of the] world, the United States … If our own countrymen don't support our country, who will?" he said.

The interview to promote his new movie CZ12 was aired in December and translated into English by website Ministry of Tofu, but only alighted on by the US newspaper this week.

During the show, Chan also claimed that Chinese people should only criticism China among their own people, and not to foreigners.

"We [can] talk about it when the door is closed. To outsiders, [we should say], 'our country is the best'," he advised.

The programme then began rolling credits before Chan could finish his speech.
Chan's remarks have angered parts of the online community, both at home and abroad.

In The Washington Post's blog post, entitled The Anti-Americanism of Jackie Chan, Fisher said many US citizens familiar with Chan's movies would be surprised by his views.

"To the degree that Chan's comments were anti-American, they likewise reflect a common Chinese view of the United States, one that is rooted not just in attitudes toward America but in China's proud, but sometimes insecure, view of itself," Fisher said.

Chan recently sparked controversy for suggesting protesters be restricted in Hong Kong, and claiming he used "guns and grenades" to see off triad members.

http://www.scmp.com/...e-corrupt-china

Edited by key2thecup, 13 January 2013 - 01:05 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

POPULAR

He's probably right.

Jagermeister.jpg

#3 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,675 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I think he is right.

Posted Image

#4 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Americans are idiots and Chan is correct.

Posted Image

#5 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

^ ^ ^ all of the above, tho it is possibly a toss-up which is more corrupt ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#6 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Those that were born in China were brought up and raised to have a belief that China is the best country in the world. That's just the way they view the world as a whole.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#7 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

See this link for a translation of his remarks (and a video of the interview):

Jackie Chan: The New China…The real success has been made in the past dozen of years. Our country’s president also admits they have the corruption problem, and some other stuff, but we are making progress. What I can see is our country is continuously making progress and learning. If you talk about corruption, the entire world, the America, has no corruption?

Host: America.

Jackie: The most corrupt in the world.

Host: Really?

Jackie: Of course. Where does this Great Breakdown (depression) come from? It started exactly from the world, the United States. When I was interviewed in the U.S., people asked me, I said the same thing. I said now that China has become strong, everyone is making an issue of China. If our own countrymen don’t support our country, who will support our country? We know our country has many problems. We (can) talk about it when the door is closed. To outsiders, (we should say,) “our country is the best.”

Host: So he can’t get enough of his more than 20 ambassador titles. I think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should ask him to be the ambassador to the United States.

Jackie: Seriously, I am always like, when the door is closed, “Our country is like this and this. Who and who is not good.” But outside, “Our country is the best, like so and so, is the best.” You cannot say our country has problems (when you are outside), like “Yes, our country is bad.”

http://www.ministryoftofu.com/2012/12/the-most-corrupt-country-is-america-jackie-chans-comments-widely-panned-in-china/
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#8 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Those that were born in China were brought up and raised to have a belief that China is the best country in the world. That's just the way they view the world as a whole.

Actually Jackie Chan was born in Hong Kong when it was under British rule.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#9 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,711 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

That's like saying my crap was stinkier than your crap. They're both crap.

#10 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,711 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

POPULAR

As opposed to Americans, who have a chronic inferiority complex and are brought up to seek approval from other countries :lol:

#11 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,815 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Those that were born in China America were brought up and raised to have a belief that China America is the best country in the world. That's just the way they view the world as a whole.

It works just as well with my edit.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#12 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

You could say that about America too. Look at the number of movies that have been made to highlight America's successes.

Every country has patriotic people but both populations in those countries stand out as being overly patriotic and employ propaganda.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#13 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

This is news how ? The entire world knows America is the most corrupt . We dont need an actor to tell us this.

Edited by vanfan73, 13 January 2013 - 05:19 PM.

tumblr_mkgkbqrm4w1ry9vkao1_500.gif

The NHL DoPeS should enter politics. They lie with a straight face better than any politician in the world.

#14 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

I knew there would be a cool picture of Jackie Chan here.

I am not disappoint.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#15 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Meh..... I guess bashing US is the latest on-going fad.

China is by far more corrupt than the US. The difference is that in the West we can talk about it, hence we're more aware of it. Do the same in China publicly and it's a just a matter of time before you'll be given a free trip to China's own all-inclusive resort "Club Gitmo".

#16 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Corruption = Capitalism.
Posted Image

#17 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,291 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

THIS THREAD: Another opportunity for a bunch of insecure Canadians to bash Americans

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#18 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

THIS THREAD: Another opportunity for a possibly mature discussion regarding comparisons between China and the USA as to which country may be the more corrupt. Hopefully knowledgeable dialogue may ensue without trolling.

Every country and every government has it's share of corruption.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 13 January 2013 - 09:14 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#19 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,291 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Incoming: 35 edits to a post nobody cares about

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#20 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Corruption = Capitalism.

Excessive Power = Corruption

#21 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

THIS THREAD: Another opportunity for a bunch of insecure Canadians to bash Americans

Inscure ? How so ? LOL I will bash Canada all day long too. This country is a complete joke as well. America has just perfected warmongering and thievery on a global scale. If we had that population size we would be no better .

Edited by vanfan73, 13 January 2013 - 10:57 PM.

tumblr_mkgkbqrm4w1ry9vkao1_500.gif

The NHL DoPeS should enter politics. They lie with a straight face better than any politician in the world.

#22 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

He is telling the truth. America is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. I mean which country isn't corrupt to a degree. Some American are just too blind to see that, probably due to their patriotism.

Posted Image

#23 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Insecure Canadians?? Everyone in the world must be insecure than. The Chinese, Russians, Canadians etc. if they think America is one of the most corrupt countries. Canada has its share of corruption but America is the worst. Example: AIG and the big fat wallstreet pigs.

Posted Image

#24 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

Meh..... I guess bashing US is the latest on-going fad.

China is by far more corrupt than the US. The difference is that in the West we can talk about it, hence we're more aware of it. Do the same in China publicly and it's a just a matter of time before you'll be given a free trip to China's own all-inclusive resort "Club Gitmo".

Well the Chinese are no better but the difference is that their whole population knows about it. Some Americans still think they are living in the greatest country in the world where no corruption exists, a fantasy land.

Posted Image

#25 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

THIS THREAD: Another opportunity for a possibly mature discussion regarding comparisons between China and the USA as to which country may be the more corrupt. Hopefully knowledgeable dialogue may ensue without trolling.

Every country and every government has it's share of corruption.

But a dictatorship has fewer checks and balances on it. They don't have to account to everyone, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

#26 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

What's more, since Jackie lives in HK/China, he obviously wouldn't remain in very good standing if he were to speak too critically of the Chinese government.

#27 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

I'm glad he said it. All people do is blame China paint them as an enemy, and accuse them of corruption. True they are corrupted, but they are doing their best to tackle corruption, and China has been doing their best to improve their economy, improve their milatery, and tackling their polution problems. They look at the negatives, but refuse to look at the pros of China.

USA is totally a corrupt nation themselves, especially during the Bush era.

If another American actor wants to accuse china have been corrupted then go ahead.

Good job Jacky Chan. However I do believe he needs to stay out of politics. He is apparently banned from Taiwan.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#28 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

They shouldn't have settled cities so far from the capital. :bigblush:

#29 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

He's exaggerating, America is not as corrupt as China and not the most corrupt country in the world, but he still has a point. The whole "Land of the free" thing is just propaganda at this point, and look at all the corporations getting all those favors from the government.

I also I don't get why anyone criticizing the government should be branded "Anti-American". This is propaganda at it's finest. He's not attacking average Americans, he's attacking the corruption in higher levels as opposed to the country as a whole.

Edited by etsen3, 14 January 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#30 almo89

almo89

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I never cared much for his political views. He's from Hong Kong and is very hated there now. It's kind of sad, but his pro China views is hurting his image in HK, but he's HUGE in China and that's where all the money is. Regardless of what he says, he's still pretty awesome especially when he does this:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.