The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Typical slow starts for Luongo

danjr

When I got to the bottom of this thread I felt like I accomplished something because I didn't barf.

Why is it that some people can say Kassian is ready to play with the Sedins and Schroeder can take Keslers spot.

Yet a Goaltender that we drafted 10 years ago that has gone through all the right steps and performed superbly doing so is not ready to be a starter

Not that I really care what you people think I just find it comical.

When I got to the bottom of this thread I felt like I accomplished something because I didn't barf.

Why is it that some people can say Kassian is ready to play with the Sedins and Schroeder can take Keslers spot.

Yet a Goaltender that we drafted 10 years ago that has gone through all the right steps and performed superbly doing so is not ready to be a starter

This is exactly what these same people criticize AV about

Playing favorites or Romerisium

Not that I really care what you people think I just find it comical.

Are you suggesting that the responsibility for a forward is the same for a goaltender? Surely CDC of all people must know this. Oh, what am I saying, CDC may be the only place in the world that does not know the pressure of being a goaltender, especially in a city where playing well actually means playing badly.

Are you suggesting that the responsibility for a forward is the same for a goaltender? Surely CDC of all people must know this. Oh, what am I saying, CDC may be the only place in the world that does not know the pressure of being a goaltender, especially in a city where playing well actually means playing badly.

I see your point.

If this team were healthy with Kes and with a healthy Booth and Kassian ready to step up and play big minutes protecting the likes of Mason Raymond and the Twins I would keep Luo for this year.

As GM knowing that Kes was hurt last year -since February-I would have quietly gone to Luo and told him I needed to trade him,ask him to give me a short list of teams he was willing to go to and in general get his feelings on the issue of leaving.

If Luo did not want to leave I would have ended it right there and honored the contract I gave him.

I would not have pushed him out using the media,something MG seems to be quite happy doing.

No, but how is Schneider ever supposed to become a starter if we just keep saying he's not proven, when he's proven that he is ready. Atleast AV and Gillis think he's ready....

Schroeder hasn't played an NHL game yet and people think he can become the 2nd line center, atleast Schneider played in the

NHL and he played better then Lu last year in the regular season AND the playoffs.

The only real knock I have against Lu is his mental toughness in the playoffs, something that Schneiders shown he can handle better so far.

What is wrong with you man!

I am using that as an example of Romerisium. The guy has taken all of the steps to become an NHL starter one cannot argue that.

Do people really not recognize the odds Cory has overcome to even be in this discussion?

Did anyone on CDC think we would be having this conversation 4 years ago?

If you prefer Luongo that is fine, you are entitled to your own opinion. Just don't try to convince me, yourself or anyone on CDC that the man is not a starter

What does it matter what point you're trying to make if your analogy is inappropriate/biased?

Edit: I like how you tell me not to tell others what to do. I also definitely tried to change your opinion, not point out the flaw in your reasoning.

"I can't even ascribe to media influence. People figured out what they wanted and then made up rather pointless arguments to justify it."

Lord of Brussels

It began with Tom Larscheid,way back at the very beginning.

Surely,any adult understands the media can be used by those in a position of power.

Yoga and deep breathing exercises! :towel:

We all know Luongo has pretty slow starts each year. What are your opinions on what the team should do this year. Seeing as a strong start is a must.

In my opinion I really think they should pull an even rotation for the first two weeks and then go with the hot hand.

Notice this is not a who is better thread, I love them both. Just Roberto has those brutal starts, that could put us out of the playoff picture and struggle to get back in.

If the reason behind giving CS the starter job is because he needs a chance to prove himself, what's even the point of trying to win cup? We might as well play Schroeder and Kassian over the Sedins.

Extreme, I know, but the logic behind starting him more is so just foolish. I can't even ascribe to media influence. People figured out what they wanted and then made up rather pointless arguments to justify it.

I don't think anyone even thought of replacing Kesler with Schroeder in any way until we realized we have no 2nd line center right now. The only reason Schroeder is being talked about is because of Kesler and Booth's injuries. And imho I think we want to give Kassian a chance so badly because we need to see the Coho trade being justified. At this point in time, it was one of the dumbest trades since the Nonis days. Maybe not impact-wise, but decision-wise.

Look, it's reasonable to question anyone's consistency, but to this day I have yet to see anyone come up with a waterproof argument and conclusive evidence that Luongo will buckle in the playoffs and only in the playoffs. Don't tell me none of your arguments on him is from the media. Stats show that Luongo has played well on average in the playoffs (same sv% as the reg. season) and also that he doesn't actually seem to be impacted very much by "big game" situations.

I mean, he's had way more epic saves and many more MVP-quality starts in the playoffs than anytime else. You can't accredit his blowouts from just his shortcomings. Is he also to blame for our so-called elite offense which posted a whopping 1.14gpg in the SCF?

Schneider looked ok in the playoffs vs the Kings. He wasn't anything special, either. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Nobody has any evidence that Schneider will do well as a starter, which entails actual mental exhaustion. You see him all politically correct and lovable, but wait until he either gets worshipped from his performance (a la Luongo in 06-07) or hated on jeered at.

Schneider has not done enough to become a full-time starter in my opinion. He played 3 games in the playoffs last season and won 1 game, sorry but that's not enough to overthrow a consistent 30-win goalie.

If Luongo is still with the Canucks when the season starts I want Schneider to have to win the starting position off him. That means, start the season as a tandem and whoever has the better starts and plays better gets to continue playing. Simple a few games at a time.

Luongo should and deserves to play the first game and the team should go from there. Take it one or two games at a time in terms of who's in net.

Archived