75 replies to this topic

#31 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

No, but how is Schneider ever supposed to become a starter if we just keep saying he's not proven, when he's proven that he is ready. Atleast AV and Gillis think he's ready....

Schroeder hasn't played an NHL game yet and people think he can become the 2nd line center, atleast Schneider played in the
NHL and he played better then Lu last year in the regular season AND the playoffs.

The only real knock I have against Lu is his mental toughness in the playoffs, something that Schneiders shown he can handle better so far.

If the reason behind giving CS the starter job is because he needs a chance to prove himself, what's even the point of trying to win cup? We might as well play Schroeder and Kassian over the Sedins.

Extreme, I know, but the logic behind starting him more is so just foolish. I can't even ascribe to media influence. People figured out what they wanted and then made up rather pointless arguments to justify it.

I don't think anyone even thought of replacing Kesler with Schroeder in any way until we realized we have no 2nd line center right now. The only reason Schroeder is being talked about is because of Kesler and Booth's injuries. And imho I think we want to give Kassian a chance so badly because we need to see the Coho trade being justified. At this point in time, it was one of the dumbest trades since the Nonis days. Maybe not impact-wise, but decision-wise.

Look, it's reasonable to question anyone's consistency, but to this day I have yet to see anyone come up with a waterproof argument and conclusive evidence that Luongo will buckle in the playoffs and only in the playoffs. Don't tell me none of your arguments on him is from the media. Stats show that Luongo has played well on average in the playoffs (same sv% as the reg. season) and also that he doesn't actually seem to be impacted very much by "big game" situations.

I mean, he's had way more epic saves and many more MVP-quality starts in the playoffs than anytime else. You can't accredit his blowouts from just his shortcomings. Is he also to blame for our so-called elite offense which posted a whopping 1.14gpg in the SCF?

Schneider looked ok in the playoffs vs the Kings. He wasn't anything special, either. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Nobody has any evidence that Schneider will do well as a starter, which entails actual mental exhaustion. You see him all politically correct and lovable, but wait until he either gets worshipped from his performance (a la Luongo in 06-07) or hated on jeered at.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#32 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

What is wrong with you man!

I am using that as an example of Romerisium. The guy has taken all of the steps to become an NHL starter one cannot argue that.

Do people really not recognize the odds Cory has overcome to even be in this discussion?

Did anyone on CDC think we would be having this conversation 4 years ago?

If you prefer Luongo that is fine, you are entitled to your own opinion. Just don't try to convince me, yourself or anyone on CDC that the man is not a starter

What does it matter what point you're trying to make if your analogy is inappropriate/biased?

Edit: I like how you tell me not to tell others what to do. I also definitely tried to change your opinion, not point out the flaw in your reasoning.

Edited by LordofBrussels, 15 January 2013 - 04:36 PM.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#33 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

What does it matter what point you're trying to make if your analogy is inappropriate/biased?

Edit: I like how you tell me not to tell others what to do. I also definitely tried to change your opinion, not point out the flaw in your reasoning.

You don't make sense bud.

I would try reading more
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#34 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

"I can't even ascribe to media influence. People figured out what they wanted and then made up rather pointless arguments to justify it."
Lord of Brussels

It began with Tom Larscheid,way back at the very beginning.
Surely,any adult understands the media can be used by those in a position of power.

#35 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yoga and deep breathing exercises! :towel:

We all know Luongo has pretty slow starts each year. What are your opinions on what the team should do this year. Seeing as a strong start is a must.

In my opinion I really think they should pull an even rotation for the first two weeks and then go with the hot hand.

Notice this is not a who is better thread, I love them both. Just Roberto has those brutal starts, that could put us out of the playoff picture and struggle to get back in.

#36 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

One NHL playoff game for the Schneids.

Didn't watch the playoffs last year?

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#37 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

I suppose you didnt see that I wrote that the goalies would split duties. I also said that Luongo's name on the cup would triple his value. You dont get your name on the cup if you sit on the bench.

I'm pretty sure backup goalies get their name on the cup, at least they always did before.

#38 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'm pretty sure backup goalies get their name on the cup, at least they always did before.

Hahah

Burned by thy self

The best burn there is.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#39 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

If the reason behind giving CS the starter job is because he needs a chance to prove himself, what's even the point of trying to win cup? We might as well play Schroeder and Kassian over the Sedins.

Extreme, I know, but the logic behind starting him more is so just foolish. I can't even ascribe to media influence. People figured out what they wanted and then made up rather pointless arguments to justify it.

I don't think anyone even thought of replacing Kesler with Schroeder in any way until we realized we have no 2nd line center right now. The only reason Schroeder is being talked about is because of Kesler and Booth's injuries. And imho I think we want to give Kassian a chance so badly because we need to see the Coho trade being justified. At this point in time, it was one of the dumbest trades since the Nonis days. Maybe not impact-wise, but decision-wise.

Look, it's reasonable to question anyone's consistency, but to this day I have yet to see anyone come up with a waterproof argument and conclusive evidence that Luongo will buckle in the playoffs and only in the playoffs. Don't tell me none of your arguments on him is from the media. Stats show that Luongo has played well on average in the playoffs (same sv% as the reg. season) and also that he doesn't actually seem to be impacted very much by "big game" situations.

I mean, he's had way more epic saves and many more MVP-quality starts in the playoffs than anytime else. You can't accredit his blowouts from just his shortcomings. Is he also to blame for our so-called elite offense which posted a whopping 1.14gpg in the SCF?

Schneider looked ok in the playoffs vs the Kings. He wasn't anything special, either. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Nobody has any evidence that Schneider will do well as a starter, which entails actual mental exhaustion. You see him all politically correct and lovable, but wait until he either gets worshipped from his performance (a la Luongo in 06-07) or hated on jeered at.

You are entitled to your opinion about Lou . You can have an opinion on anything and at any age but you need to get real. Mg and company have years and years of experience that your youth has not garnered. They have made a calculated decision to keep Schneider and move Lou. Lou maintains a good SP in both seasonal and playoff seasons by being hot and cold. A .960 one game and.880 the next. The average is good, just not the results. Lou is great or terrible in the playoffs...hes inconsistant !

#40 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Schneider has not done enough to become a full-time starter in my opinion. He played 3 games in the playoffs last season and won 1 game, sorry but that's not enough to overthrow a consistent 30-win goalie.

If Luongo is still with the Canucks when the season starts I want Schneider to have to win the starting position off him. That means, start the season as a tandem and whoever has the better starts and plays better gets to continue playing. Simple a few games at a time.

Luongo should and deserves to play the first game and the team should go from there. Take it one or two games at a time in terms of who's in net.

I agree exactly with this whole quote. CS isn't proven in any aspect, except in the aspect that he can play back up to Luongo. Lord knows I hope Luongo comes back lights out so I can make fun of my friends.
Posted Image

#41 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I agree exactly with this whole quote. CS isn't proven in any aspect, except in the aspect that he can play back up to Luongo. Lord knows I hope Luongo comes back lights out so I can make fun of my friends.

No better way for Cory to become "proven" than by being a starting goaltender for the Canucks this year. I would also bet that Luongo will prove to be a nice reliable backup.

#42 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

For Luongo to come back as the starter the Canucks would have to lose pretty badly with Schneider in net first. So you're saying you'd like the Canucks to lose just so you can rub in your Luongo man-crush in your friends' faces?

That's the saddest thing I've ever heard, and I wonder if you're a Canucks fan at all. It just sounds like you love Luongo.

#43 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

As typical, any thread with Luongo in the title becomes a bunch of haters using weak logic against Lu.

Worst part is, it will never end. Even if he's traded.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#44 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

For Luongo to come back as the starter the Canucks would have to lose pretty badly with Schneider in net first. So you're saying you'd like the Canucks to lose just so you can rub in your Luongo man-crush in your friends' faces?

That's the saddest thing I've ever heard, and I wonder if you're a Canucks fan at all. It just sounds like you love Luongo.

You really think Lu will only play if Cory loses a bunch of games first? Both goalies would be played quite evenly. Sad that you didn't figure that one out...

#45 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

You really think Lu will only play if Cory loses a bunch of games first? Both goalies would be played quite evenly. Sad that you didn't figure that one out...

Umm no, it's been stated by pretty much every analyst / media outlet that Schneider is going to probably be the starter. Do you know what a starter is? In hockey, the starting goaltender plays more games than the backup. So no, they won't be played evenly (unless of course, like I said, Schneider tanks and Luongo regains the starter position--then he might get more games).

Edited by Moonshinefe, 15 January 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#46 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Umm no, it's been stated by pretty much every analyst / media outlet that Schneider is going to probably be the starter. Do you know what a starter is? In hockey, the starting goaltender plays more games than the backup. So no, they won't be played evenly (unless of course, like I said, Schneider tanks and Luongo regains the starter position).

And you believe what the media has to say? That can't be good for anyone.

Common sense would say to split the games and use them as a tandem.

#47 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

My guess is that Schneider will start between 6 to 7 of every 10 games. I could be wrong but we'll have to wait and see.

#48 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, I believe what professional hockey analysts say over a bunch of people on CDC who think Schneider/Luongo will split the games down the middle because of "common sense". I guess I'm an idiot.

Anyway, I'm sure IF Luongo stays, he'll get a fair amount of games. But my original post was:

For Luongo to come back as the starter the Canucks would have to lose pretty badly with Schneider in net first

Not that "The Canucks would have to lose badly for Luongo to get a start". If you actually bothered to read my post, you wouldn't have even brought this point up and tried to argue with me over it, since I never even went there originally.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 15 January 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#49 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

My guess is that Schneider will start between 6 to 7 of every 10 games. I could be wrong but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm still guessing 50/50, so I guess we will have to wait and see then. I see both goalies playing well enough to earn a split from AV.

#50 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

I'm still guessing 50/50, so I guess we will have to wait and see then. I see both goalies playing well enough to earn a split from AV.

We'll probably trade him. But if he stays, I'd expect to see a split similar to last season, except with Schneider getting the extra 20 starts overall or so.

edit: forgot about the shortened season, the extra starts that would be on pace for 20 in a full season, I meant.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 15 January 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#51 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Not if Luongo has his typical slow start. We cant afford to throw away any games this year.

Edited by Riviera82, 15 January 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#52 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, I believe what professional hockey analysts say over a bunch of people on CDC who think Schneider/Luongo will split the games down the middle because of "common sense". I guess I'm an idiot.

Anyway, I'm sure IF Luongo stays, he'll get a fair amount of games. But my original post was:

[/font][/color]

Not that "The Canucks would have to lose badly for Luongo to get a start". If you actually bothered to read my post, you wouldn't have even brought this point up and tried to argue with me over it, since I never even went there originally.

So many analysts predict things that they were extremely wrong about, just as much as anyone on CDC. Sure, I'll listen to what they have to say, but they certainly won't make up my mind when it comes to predictions. Most analysts pick what everyone else is saying anyway.

And the Canucks wouldn't have to lose badly with Cory for Lu to get the starter back as you said. All that would have to happen is he outplays Cory, as said by the poster you quoted.

#53 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

So many analysts predict things that they were extremely wrong about, just as much as anyone on CDC. Sure, I'll listen to what they have to say, but they certainly won't make up my mind when it comes to predictions. Most analysts pick what everyone else is saying anyway.

And the Canucks wouldn't have to lose badly with Cory for Lu to get the starter back as you said. All that would have to happen is he outplays Cory, as said by the poster you quoted.

Pfft, Schneider should've been the starter ages ago then.

#54 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

We'll probably trade him. But if he stays, I'd expect to see a split similar to last season, except with Schneider getting the extra 20 starts overall or so.

edit: forgot about the shortened season, the extra starts that would be on pace for 20 in a full season, I meant.

Not if Luongo has his typical slow start. We cant afford to throw away any games this year.

We definitely can't afford to throw away games. If Lu has a slow start, then I'd think they would have Cory play the majority of games till Lu comes back to form.

But I see it balancing out in the end. I think they would give Lu the majority of games when he's playing well (if he has a slow start). If the Canucks plan on trading him next season, then it would be a lot easier to trade him if he played 24 games as opposed to 15 or so.

#55 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Pfft, Schneider should've been the starter ages ago then.

Pretty sure Lu got a vezina nom in 2011, and a gold medal in 2010. Hard to make him backup right when that happens.

#56 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Start Schneider game one, ride him until a loss/

Start Luongo, ride until a loss/

rinse, spin, repeat until proper trade or cup.

#57 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Pretty sure Lu got a vezina nom in 2011, and a gold medal in 2010. Hard to make him backup right when that happens.

Its a..."What have you done for me lately" kinda business. Lou was middle of the pack last season and you can;t trade a gold medal for the Stanley Cup the last I heard. Hamburgler and Down unda don;t have a clue and I'll wager never even held goalie gear let alone put them on. Its all opinion with no real knowledge of the position.

#58 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

That's too bad, we could've won a cup maybe.

#59 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

best guy plays until one is traded or season is over (cup win)

#60 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Schneider has not done enough to become a full-time starter in my opinion. He played 3 games in the playoffs last season and won 1 game.

Yeah ... damn Schneider for letting in 4 goals in those 3 games :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.