Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Students try to shut down strip club

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#91 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,531 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Exactly. It's not like the oilsands causes anyone harm. And even if it did, those individuals chose to live a ....couple ....hundred..... kilometers.... away...... from the oilsands. How dare they infringe on the rights of the oilpatch workers with whiny tales about their health and the health of their families. They should just shut up and instead become employees of the oilsands, that way when they get cancer, they will be covered with a comprehensive health package. Everyone wins.

Considering the oil sands are requiring water to extract the oil, and the companies are grossly polluting the rivers, it seems to me short term gain, long term problems.

I guess having increases in cancer, destroying fish and wildlife, and polluting sources of water is worth a few bucks and jobs right?

Great examples proving my point. Rhetoric with no grasp of financial reality.

If you shut down the oil sands Canada's financial situation will look a lot like Greece, and in a hurry.

Just like these twerps from Best. They sure wish better for these women, but you can bet they aren't ready (or able) to replace the income they would be loosing by having their jobs taken away.

#92 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

CTV showed the protest the other day. It was led by a social justice instructor from Charles Best school. I did not even know there was a course called social justice. Is this now part of the curriculam?

Bascally, the point of the protest was that the women were being exploited. Really, are they going to mount a protest in front of every store that sells Playboy magazines or those that rent XXX videos?

Edited by DonLever, 21 January 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#93 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

CTV showed the protest the other day. It was led by a social justice instructor from Charles Best school. I did not even know there was a course called social justice. Is this now part of the curriculam?

Bascally, the point of the protest was that the women were being exploited. Really, are they going to mount a protest in front of every store that sells Playboy magazines or those that rent XXX videos?

The interviews (video and printed) were covered in an earlier post.
http://forum.canucks...0#entry11077664

Here is the CTV video report
http://bc.ctvnews.ca...women-1.1121690

And the Social Justice teacher had this to say about targeting the Paramount:

But for teacher Ken Ipe, he said his students are very informed about all the issues.

"We want to challenge our students to think about this in an objective way," he said. "Well the criticism is, people say 'be informed'. Well we've done our due diligence here that's for sure."

"We know the issues."

So what are the issues?

"[The clubs are] controlled by, in a lot of cases, organized crime," he said. "There are safety issues in these clubs.

And [the women who work there] can convince themselves, but I think perhaps they're a little naive on the process. We're hoping that our campaign will shed light on that."

I guess they need to do their "due diligence" before protesting in front of stores that sells Playboy magazines or those that rent XXX videos.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#94 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Lol Best. I went to Pinetree and I always thought that they carried a sense of "I'm better than you" about themselves.

I think every school had this "sense"...

#95 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Are the clubs really controlled by organized crime as the instructor says?

Also there is a move to legalize prostitution (solicitation actually). What if one day the Supreme Court strikes down the law, we could have brothels everywhere. Will the instructor go around and claim the women are being oppressed and exploited by men?

#96 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

It is optional, and is part of the Grade 12 curriculum if students wish to choose to take it.

From the BCTF site:

What is Social Justice 12?

This is an exciting elective course that is currently being offered in some school districts in BC. It was approved by the Ministry of Education in August 2008.

The course focuses on a wide variety of social justice issues. The IRP is well laid out with specific PLOs which move students through three stages of social engagement. Initially, awareness of social justice issues is developed as students begin to explore SJ issues from various perspectives. Next, students analyze SJ issues to gain a more thorough understanding of them. Finally, students pick specific issues to focus on and develop their own personal action plans for making change in an area they feel passionate about. In this way, they progress from awareness to analysis and action on a social justice topic of their choice.

The course is an excellent opportunity for students to become agents of change regarding relevant social justice issues that affect their lives and communities.

The IRP is available on the Ministry of Education website atwww.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/social_justice12/sj12irp2008.pdf. Posted Image

Of course, the true (in)justice here is that rather than fighting global poverty, food security issues, or helping to create sustainable 3rd world regional development, students are indoctrinated to think legal careers such as what the Paramont does is bad.

#97 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

It is optional, and is part of the Grade 12 curriculum if students wish to choose to take it.

From the BCTF site:

What is Social Justice 12?

This is an exciting elective course that is currently being offered in some school districts in BC. It was approved by the Ministry of Education in August 2008.

The course focuses on a wide variety of social justice issues. The IRP is well laid out with specific PLOs which move students through three stages of social engagement. Initially, awareness of social justice issues is developed as students begin to explore SJ issues from various perspectives. Next, students analyze SJ issues to gain a more thorough understanding of them. Finally, students pick specific issues to focus on and develop their own personal action plans for making change in an area they feel passionate about. In this way, they progress from awareness to analysis and action on a social justice topic of their choice.

The course is an excellent opportunity for students to become agents of change regarding relevant social justice issues that affect their lives and communities.

The IRP is available on the Ministry of Education website atwww.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/social_justice12/sj12irp2008.pdf. Posted Image

Of course, the true (in)justice here is that rather than fighting global poverty, food security issues, or helping to create sustainable 3rd world regional development, students are indoctrinated to think legal careers such as what the Paramont does is bad.

I took it a few years ago. It did have a lot of focus on real world issues that actually matter, like teaching about child soldiers (before that Kony business), specific genocides and why they happened, sweat shops and companies that use child workers, you know stuff like that.
Then there was the section on objectification on woman, where most of the material completely ignored the fact that some woman in strip clubs and similar businesses do actually choose to be involved in that type of work.
For the most part, it did bring to light a lot of issues that most high school students probably didn't really learn to much about. But at the same time, some of the material definitely had a bias in it that most students didn't see past.

Edited by Jägermeister, 22 January 2013 - 01:17 AM.

Jagermeister.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.